Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
Originally Posted By: Mark Cerisano, RPTI know Bill Bremmer advocates using Contiguous Major thirds to set a good start to an equal temperament octave, and I started using it with the 4:5 ratios years ago, but I have added a bit of my own to this pow
Piano Forum
I think your reasoning is sound. Keep us updated
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Themed recital: Suites by Ganddalf @ Today at 03:19 AM

Updated list Charles Dieupart Suite no.6 - Cinnamonbear F.Couperin Sixieme Ordre - Morodiene J.S.Bach French Suite no.1 - SnugWuls French Suite no.3 - AnneJ French Suite no.4 1RC French Suite no.6 - Dame Myra English Suite No.5 - MarkH Part
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas by musicpassion @ Today at 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Paul678Did you even read the article? Yes. Quote:It says "In 2010, a blind test of three new violins alongside two crafted by Stradivari and one by Guarneri found that experienced violinists picked a new instrument as their
Jump to new posts Re: Tuning the 7th octave by Olek @ Today at 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Ed A. HallWhen I tune those high unisons, I listen to when they suddenly lose sustain. I leave it there with the realization that it'll eventually drift a little in a day or two. Most pianos have lots of false beats up there s
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Does it get easier? by Pover @ Today at 02:59 AM

Roland and Brendan that' reassuring. I guess I was just unsure of whether or not I'm doing something wrong, as I have to work on something I did earlier, if only for a shorter time. I appreciate the feedback and am starting to actually agree with you
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Might play in hotel lounges/bars! by Pover @ Today at 02:56 AM

BruceD, you are right about almost everything you said. Unfortunately, people here don't appreciate, or recognize, good music like Chopin and Debussy. It's true that before setting on doing anything I have to get an idea from all the places that I mi
Jump to new posts Re: Tuning the 7th octave by Olek @ Today at 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Gene NelsonOn the listening end it is good to know about perception. Try this after tuning to ETD or aurally to your satisfaction. Play and sustain a c# arpeggio from the bass to maybe the 5th octave then play and listen to C8 t
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: MOYD 2014 by casinitaly @ Today at 02:43 AM

Well, AliAlkhiro, you sound dedicated Welcome to MOYD
Jump to new posts Re: Use Audacity to SEE, HEAR, and MEASURE beats. by Chris Leslie @ Today at 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: EmmeryThat was not explained in the video. All he did was measure from valley to valley and that particular example worked out to 7 even. What if 1 second interval takes you to a portion of a beat? The larger the sample (I ch
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Can someone list the rules of accidentals? by wouter79 @ Today at 02:42 AM

An accidental in a measure holds until end of measure (unless the note is slurred over to next mwasure). Or until the next accidental. I'm not sure what if the next accidental is a natural sign, the key's accidental is one sharp and the accidental
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Might play in hotel lounges/bars! by JohnSprung @ Today at 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: PoverJohn, I haven't yet checked out the great american songbook, but if it contains things which americans are likely to be familiar with, I'm not sure how effective that would be to use here. In that case, perhaps ask your u
Piano Forum
Chances are a few hours with a really good technician could do a lot to revive those "dead" Steinways, but who knows? I have had to revive "dead" new Steinways. It is usually a matter of basic work, done correctly. Unfortunately,
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Double Copper Bass Strings vs Single by BDB @ Today at 02:18 AM

The percentage of the breaking strength of a plain wire string depends almost entirely on the speaking length. If you use thicker wire, the breaking strength and the tension increase in tandem. There might be some small difference due to the characte
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Recital 35 --- General Discussion Room by TX-Bluebonnet @ Today at 02:16 AM

Carlos, thanks for the explanation about adding color. I do those things myself on the pieces I play, just not on purpose is all. And a big thank you to everyone who commented on my recital piece. You all sure know how to make a newbie feel welcome
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas by PhilipInChina @ Today at 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: phantomFiveOriginally Posted By: Paul678Originally Posted By: musicpassion The article supports what I was saying: modern luthiers can create violins to rival or exceed the great old instruments. But it doesn't offer any eviden
Jump to new posts Re: Use Audacity to SEE, HEAR, and MEASURE beats. by DoelKees @ Today at 01:51 AM

Just track as many beats as you see (n) and measure the time it takes (t in seconds), then n/t is your beat rate. IMHO it's better to use the spectrogram display for measuring as you can see all partials simultaneously (esp. useful for 2:1 4:2 6:3 r
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: One note suddenly out of tune by JohnSprung @ Today at 01:42 AM

In any case, call your tuner. Only a tuner in person can tell for sure what it is. And then let us know.
That was not explained in the video. All he did was measure from valley to valley and that particular example worked out to 7 even. What if 1 second interval takes you to a portion of a beat? The larger the sample (I chose 10 beats) the more accur
Adult Beginners Forum
I did mostly review today, going over previous material from the Alfred's book, starting at the beginning. I'm also continuing to work on exercises from the various books I have. The C scale is coming along slowly.
Piano Forum
If I remember correctly, Jolly is from Louisiana also, and he would decry the shortage of pianos and options down there. I also think he made some long distance trips to shop out of state. It might be worth your while to do the same, and plan to ship
Jump to new posts Re: Tuning the 7th octave by Chris Leslie @ Today at 01:27 AM

Ed, that is fine, but the question was how often does this techniques fix your false beats, i.e. most, some, many, or about 5% etc etc.
Jump to new posts Re: Use Audacity to SEE, HEAR, and MEASURE beats. by Chris Leslie @ Today at 01:24 AM

Emmery, that is just the same as Mark's, but selecting a different whole unit.
This is how to measure exact beat rates with Audacity if your interested in analysis (1285 was selected as an example measurement)....
Piano Forum
I will share my thinking on how to proceed from here, just to see if any of you have feedback. First off, my daughter's piano teacher has offered to come with us to help evaluate pianos. However, if we find a good value on one of the above pianos
Page 8 of 17 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 17 >
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (255, Almaviva, AZNpiano, AEMontoya, accordeur, 41 invisible), 1327 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157144 Topics
2307872 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1950s Zimmermann
by MaxR
08/29/14 02:17 PM
Piano with Willie
by Nikalette
08/29/14 12:58 PM
How to practice a fast piece for amateur competitions
by RonaldSteinway
08/29/14 11:56 AM
Cromatic lead in Elton John song
by Visalia
08/29/14 11:56 AM
Chopin experts: this is driving me nuts
by riley80
08/29/14 09:40 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission