Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
101 registered (36251, alerique, 821, Al LaPorte, ando, 24 invisible), 1216 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Returning to play after 35 years ! by Midlife_Piano @ Yesterday at 11:16 AM

Happy Helen, You pretty much already know how to play the piano. Now you are just getting back on track. Many people here (myself included) are in the same situation. I started playing again 4 years ago after 25+ years of break. I found a great te
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
NormB - you must be quite right in terms of how action works, however as for the resulting sound only the final speed matters, not the acceleration path. So it's quite ok to measure it. How to improve the action is the whole different matter I guess.
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Practice - and what happens when there isn't any? by hreichgott @ Yesterday at 11:14 AM

Well gosh. I hope if anyone is driven to gastric distress by piano practice that they will tell me! To your brother, I'm glad he found a teacher who was a good fit and ultimately a satisfying life in music! As for noodling on one's own, I'm about to
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Tone of light soft hammers by Ed McMorrow, RPT @ Yesterday at 11:12 AM

BDB, I have tone-regulated/rebuilt about 5,000 grand actions in my career. Is that insufficient evidence to support what I report finding as regards hammer weight?
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: It's time I replaced my Haydn sonatas by hreichgott @ Yesterday at 11:10 AM

Henle and the orange Wiener urtext are both good. I like Christa Landon's very informative introduction to the Wiener Urtext, and she has good suggested elaborations of fermatas and other useful editorial comments, all as footnotes so they don't inte
Jump to new posts Re: Tone of light soft hammers by BDB @ Yesterday at 11:06 AM

There is a lot of buzz that goes on in the piano world, which few people bother to examine with any degree of accuracy. It would be easy to measure old hammers and compare them to new hammers, but I have never heard of anyone doing it. It could be th
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Im 45. In reality, how far can I go? by agraffe @ Yesterday at 11:06 AM

I agree with Sam S and the others who commend the journey. What is your yardstick in asking "how far"? Were you thinking Carnegie Hall, or some lesser instantiation of mastery? All human endeavors are limited, by time if by nothing else. So
Adult Beginners Forum
Blackjack you are doing great. Such advancement. Me, I'm doing ok. My lesson this week went ok. I did manage to memorize The Waltz but I'm have issues making it sound like music not just hitting notes. That seems to be my biggest issue. It was
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Forgetting music by INBoston @ Yesterday at 11:05 AM

Originally Posted By chasingrainbowsInBoston, I usually give my students one opportunity, starting with "I am not going to say anything to Mom (or Dad) this time. I routinely tell students/parents to pack everything either the night before or t
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Forgetting music by chasingrainbows @ Yesterday at 11:03 AM

InBoston, I usually give my students one opportunity, starting with "I am not going to say anything to Mom (or Dad) this time. I routinely tell students/parents to pack everything either the night before or that morning so they have all of thei
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Is what I am doing beneficial? by INBoston @ Yesterday at 11:01 AM

No offense taken, I am not very advanced. I don't yet know if my teacher has a plan per se, but I guess we will see as we develop our teacher-student relationship. Right now she simply wants me to memorize and perfect a recital piece and is having me
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Im 45. In reality, how far can I go? by dogperson @ Yesterday at 10:58 AM

Be careful that 'How Far Can I Go' does not lead to 'I'm Not Getting There' or 'I'm Not Getting There Fast Enough': these last two are killers of motivation and lead many to quit. As adults we have a lot going for us, but the negatives are self-crit
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Returning to play after 35 years ! by HappyHelen @ Yesterday at 10:55 AM

All this info is just fabulous! I had no idea you could rent pianos/keyboards so I am going to look into that. I will also keep an eye out on second hand pianos (I am used to the upright style rather than keyboards) but am flexible so will see what
Jump to new posts Re: Quirky Microphone Inharmonicity Measurements! by BDB @ Yesterday at 10:53 AM

Audio people choose microphones for the way they make things sound, which means that microphones change the waveform of a musical note. Once you change the waveform, you change the Fourier transform, which is the approximation of the waveform by the
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Pricing on Yamaha S6 by kippesc @ Yesterday at 10:48 AM

Originally Posted By BrianDXOriginally Posted By SitbonThanks all. Does anyone know how much the S4 and S6 retail for in Japan? Are there stores that sell used pianos? Andrew 4.9 Million yen for the S6 at the Yamaha store in Ginza... $42k USD f
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Im 45. In reality, how far can I go? by BrianDX @ Yesterday at 10:36 AM

In my case, starting at age 57 with a great teacher, great lesson material, great piano and consistent practice, I've progressed from early Elementary to early Intermediate. If I never progressed from here on out I'd be happy. And about the journey
Jump to new posts Re: Quirky Microphone Inharmonicity Measurements! by R.P. @ Yesterday at 10:33 AM

One other thought, in speaker testing you typically aim the mic at the source but for room measurement the typical positioning is vertical (perpendicular to source). The best measurement mics have calibration files for 0, 45 and 90 degrees but the c
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Pricing on Yamaha S6 by BrianDX @ Yesterday at 10:32 AM

Originally Posted By SitbonThanks all. Does anyone know how much the S4 and S6 retail for in Japan? Are there stores that sell used pianos? Andrew 4.9 Million yen for the S6 at the Yamaha store in Ginza...
Piano Forum
Thank you!
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Practice - and what happens when there isn't any? by Peter K. Mose @ Yesterday at 10:27 AM

Vivid, insightful teaching vignette, Andrew!
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Lady Gaga... by Mark Polishook @ Yesterday at 10:27 AM

Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
Quote:I guess, it's physics. Kinetic energy of the impact E = (mv)^2/2, where m is the mass of the hammer and v is its speed. As m is a constant you can just measure velocity for the same result. Well, there is also the matter of factoring in accele
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: It's time I replaced my Haydn sonatas by Tim Adrianson @ Yesterday at 10:18 AM

Hi, gooddog! I'm no expert on Haydn, but I do have a complete set of the Sonatas in three volumes, entitled "Wiener Urtext Ausgabe", published by Universal Edition, and distributed exclusively in the US by Theodore Presser Co. Please keep
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sad pieces for an intermediate player by sor @ Yesterday at 10:17 AM

Originally Posted By TheGift Chopin √Čtude No. 3 in E Major, Op.10 'Tristesse' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikBD3DcSGFM My favorite sad song. great song one of my favorites too, but somehow I don't think the middle section is at intermediate l
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Kawai US7X or Yamaha U3A and anyway to clean Ivorite? by Rickster @ Yesterday at 10:17 AM

You didn't mention age, but I'd be inclined to lean toward the U3A. Shinny tuning pins and new hammers aside, which piano sounds and plays the best to you? That's also an indicator of future satisfaction from a piano. I'm no expert, but I doubt y
Page 15 of 29 < 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 28 29 >
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(ad 125) Sweetwater $5700 Giveaway
Sweetwater Giveaway
(ad) Yamaha CP Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP Stage Pianos - Learn More
(ad) Summer Keys
Summer Keys, a Music Adventure in Lubec, Maine
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
PianoDisc
Ad (the Piano Store)
the Piano Store - Restored Steinway Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice on silent piano: Schimmel SG2 or Yamaha SH?
by Amsterdampianist
02/11/16 06:51 AM
Assistance with reading structure
by imustlearn
02/11/16 03:49 AM
Audacity/Recording problems
by jotur
02/10/16 10:43 PM
Melville Clark Baby Grand- any info??
by Shell1250
02/10/16 08:46 PM
Keith Jarrett Solo at Carnegie Hall 2/9/14
by Dfrankjazz
02/10/16 07:27 PM
Forum Stats
82,540 Registered Members
44 Forums
170,404 Topics
2,494,212 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission