Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
164 registered (255, accordeur, Almaviva, ajames, amv256, 42 invisible), 1632 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Pianist Corner
1) set goals - these have to be as specific as possible e.g. "by next week I will have page 1 memorized" "bring speed to mm. 120" etc., Its also most productive to have goals set for any one practice session. 2) frequent small br
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Warning: Explicit Image by 255 @ Today at 01:18 PM

Not a big deal, I think it's still playable, just lean on your knees.
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
Jump to new posts Re: The DPBSD Project! by dewster @ Today at 01:16 PM

BusyWait, I sent you a PM.
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Is this a good way to teach theory? by 255 @ Today at 01:15 PM

PamDD, at your age, anything that you don't enjoy you should discard. You'll still be able to play the piano anyway with enough passion and enjoyment. It's not that you have to become a concert pianist. So if something that your teacher makes you do
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Is this touch weight ok for practice? by MRC @ Today at 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By Fanggot more information about the touch weight on this piano. Currently, it is about 75 - 65, distributed in 2 sections. What about the friction? If the difference between down weight and up weight is normal (around 30g acc
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Carpet under grand piano by Markarian @ Today at 01:09 PM

THis ^ One leg at a time. I had two friends help me while I positioned the rug underneath. It takes forever and is a pain in the a-s, but it's how it's done.
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts What do we know about Shadd Pianos? by Markarian @ Today at 01:07 PM

I just found out about Warren Shadd pianos and was curious if anyone knew more about them? http://www.shaddpianos.com/
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Steinway Direction by Markarian @ Today at 01:02 PM

Holy crap, talk about a buyer's remorse thread
Pianist Corner
Originally Posted By RaggedKeyPresserI always find Glenn Gould to also be an amazing orator. After what I can see, he never used a script or teleprompter...he just said what he wanted to say, period. An extraordinary guy. I think as a younger man h
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Czerny op.740 etudes as encores by Works1 @ Today at 12:59 PM

Thank you Jason, this is very useful. I enjoy much of the pieces that make up the Op.740 set. Some are very musical while others are sheer fun to play.
Adult Beginners Forum
Originally Posted By Ben BouleShould I be spending more time on single measures rather than trying to play through larger portions of the piece? You should do that regardless, when learning a new piece. Anyway, I also have this problem sometimes in
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Who gets to play in concerts? by BDB @ Today at 12:54 PM

I used to play two piano music with a double major in math and music. I knew him when we were math students. He went on to get his PhD in math, and landed a math job at a mid-West college which allows him to give occasional concerts. I recently wrote
Jump to new posts Re: Specs on paper vs overall sound by WillMedic @ Today at 12:49 PM

Thanks for that info, v helpful. I think I will continue to enjoy the fact that have basically a good looking and sounding instrument and not worry too much about presence or absence of string sympathetic resonance. Damper resonance works v well, par
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Is this touch weight ok for practice? by Fang @ Today at 12:43 PM

By reading all the posts I can find in the forum and some referenced link, I think for the future piano, a little bit heavier than standard key with good action will be the way to go for everyday practise, and also will benefit a lot to practise on d
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Is this touch weight ok for practice? by Fang @ Today at 12:40 PM

got more information about the touch weight on this piano. Currently, it is about 75 - 65, distributed in 2 sections. The technician said, still staying within Steinway guidelines, he can bring the weights down 10 - 15 grams, e.g. 65 to 60 or ev
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Carpet under grand piano by Sam S @ Today at 12:33 PM

I've done this, with just 2 people. Lift only one leg of the piano at a time, in short time intervals. While it is up, the person underneath pulls the carpet. Don't worry about getting it straight in one go. Do multiple short lifts at each leg. The
Adult Beginners Forum
Just study theory. Sometimes fingers should rest.
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Is this a good way to teach theory? by RUSS SHETTLE @ Today at 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By PAMDDThe whole first volume is the do-re-mi scale and has you singing the notes. I presume that you may already know how to sing solfege. We use to do this in grade school when I was a kid. I learned the pattern of the major sca
Adult Beginners Forum
It would seem to me that you already know the answer... If you are working on larger 'chunks' that hasn't been really learned yet, that is where the tension builds up (does for me too if I do that). So, work on smaller pieces, one bar or whatever fit
Pianist Corner - Non Classical
Jump to new posts Re: Carolina Shout --- James P. Johnson by Hrodulf @ Today at 12:17 PM

I just meant that I'd heard the piece before but when I got the score there were things in it that didn't sound right, and I know popular music sheets from that era for mass consumption were either rewritten out of recognition to make them easier to
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: the Steinway at the Vanderbilt Mansion by Rich Galassini @ Today at 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By Michael Sayers If true then it is a rare gem. I haven't heard that same sound elsewhere except for very early historical recordings. On the videos one can hear little things in the sound that say, "Greetings, I am a 120+ y
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: exercises and compositions for children by TimR @ Today at 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By Michael Sayers Entering music into Finale unfortunately is time consuming even just to the point of a half-way decent result. Are you fluent enough to be a power user? Because I find using notation far faster than writing anyt
Pianist Corner
This is a gigantic project unless you've already learned quite a few of them. I assume you must really love all these pieces to want to do this. But there is so much other great piano literature available, so I don't think it's such a great idea unle
Pianist Corner - Non Classical
Jump to new posts Re: Carolina Shout --- James P. Johnson by Mark Polishook @ Today at 12:05 PM

why settle for something random on the internet? there's http://blueblackjazz.com/en/transcription/74/74-james-p-johnson-carolina-shout-transcription-pdf (from an original piano roll, evidently) another transcription http://www.fvstore.com/JAMES-P-
Jump to new posts Re: Roland RD800 impressions and Comparison by Lester Burnham @ Today at 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By IshkabibbleNot to belabour the point, but this morning I was playing and needed to have a look at the sheet music. I had to stop playing, grab the sheet music in my left hand, look at the music while holding it at a proper distan
Page 2 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 32 33 >
What's Hot!!
The February 2015 Issue of our Free Piano News Newsletter is out now! FREE Piano Newsletter
--------------------
The best thing I've learned on Piano World....
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
(ad) Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Online Lessons
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sign of the Times
by scorpio
03/03/15 01:48 PM
Looking for a piano stand that is low enough...
by Giancarlo Robles
03/03/15 01:30 PM
What do we know about Shadd Pianos?
by Markarian
03/03/15 01:07 PM
How to practice the piano without a piano
by Hugh Sung
03/03/15 10:52 AM
the 1878 Steinway at the U. of I. - a recent performance
by Michael Sayers
03/03/15 10:41 AM
Forum Stats
78,379 Registered Members
43 Forums
162,038 Topics
2,379,176 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission