Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
Jump to new posts Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? by fizikisto @ Yesterday at 11:44 AM

Slipperykeys, Having used the nord music rest, I'm in disagreement with you. Because i've seen that they can be extremely well made, and they are incredibly useful and convenient when they are. I think having the option of a music rest that f
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Medelssohn on meaning in music by gynnis @ Yesterday at 11:44 AM

I guess it is no mistake that Mendelssohn wrote "songs without words". I really find most of his piano music looks back to Bach (the preludes and fugues) rather than to the romantic composers. So I'm a bit surprised by the description of
Jump to new posts Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? by 36251 @ Yesterday at 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Marko in BostonOriginally Posted By: slipperykeys I still believe a separate stand is the best option for a slab. Agree! That's all I was trying to say but just got a little more passionate about in my post The whole poin
Jump to new posts Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? by toddy @ Yesterday at 11:42 AM

Originally Posted By: CyberGene ...having an embedded education system in a digital piano doesn't necessarily mean it is aimed towards classical musicians. Anyway, it is my personal opinion that Roland put their greatest efforts in serving jazz and p
Composer's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Anti-academic arrogance. by ScottM @ Yesterday at 11:37 AM

Your viewpoint is not new, and it makes sense only if you haven't really studied much music history. First of all, it is not only today that "academic" has been a derogatory term. Look at the things that Bernard Shaw was writing about Cha
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Need help and advice please! by gynnis @ Yesterday at 11:34 AM

If you are heading to medical school, there is a good chance that the university has a music department. You might find a good teacher that way. When I was an undergraduate, the music department had a teaching requirement for all of the graduate st
Composer's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Anti-academic arrogance. by gsmonks @ Yesterday at 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: wouter79Originally Posted By: gsmonksIf I'm angry, it's because generations of young musicians since ca 1963 don't know anything about the underlying mechanics of music and aren't actively involved in tinkering with it By 'tink
Jump to new posts Re: Digital piano/keyboard with lighter keys? by fizikisto @ Yesterday at 11:30 AM

Gabriellaa, If your hands are getting really tired very quickly, you're probably playing with a lot of unnecessary tension. Do you have a teacher? A good teacher should be able to show you how to play so that you keep your hands relaxed. Als
Jump to new posts Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? by Marko in Boston @ Yesterday at 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By: slipperykeys I still believe a separate stand is the best option for a slab. Agree! That's all I was trying to say but just got a little more passionate about in my post
Piano Forum
Not to nit-pick but you said MAY. Regardless, my main issue is your assertion that being concerned about changing any part of the tone or harmonics makes you a purist. Perhaps we simply have a different definition of the word. No worries.
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
A viennese style unison, BTW, is not really "mode locking"--I think it would be what Olek calls a "smiley unison;" one string is slightly sharp, and quickly gets pulled-in. I call this a "sustain unison." A viennese unis
I don't believe jack center position moved or so little it does not matter. Jack heigh is less tall on recent NY repetition vs old or recent German ones. I know you did not ask, that is free H.M.
Jump to new posts Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? by slipperykeys @ Yesterday at 11:23 AM

If anybody uses music stands like I do, stacking one book on top of the other until it is all unmanageable, some feeble clips on the back would actually be useless. I agree it seems wrong for Roland not to include them, although I still bought the th
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Yamaha B Series Price Question by BrianDX @ Yesterday at 11:19 AM

Very true. In the brief search for a practice piano, I have come across some nice models in the under $5K price range from Kawai and Essex to name a few. Lots of good choices in this price range I think...
Not sure about the weight issue. Older pianos tended to be pretty heavy. My 1896 6'4" Hallet and Davis weighed nearly 1100 pounds. It was built like a lumber yard. The same with the larger Mason and Hamlin's. More modern pianos with better
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What key signature are you? by wimpiano @ Yesterday at 11:14 AM

Just listened to C Major, it defined what I used to be. It reminds me of so much.. In a way I am still like that, it is indeed, as the narrator says the child inside me, a striking resemblance.. But I am afraid to have changed partially to a minor k
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What key signature are you? by ShiroKuro @ Yesterday at 11:13 AM

Many of them are pretty silly, but I am really enjoying them all! What fun! Sayonara, thank you so much for starting this thread!
The action spread (i.e., the spacing of the hammer and whip pen rails), dictates where the knuckle must be in relation to the whippen/jack. Knuckle size, will also have an effect, but this has more to do with the starting angle of the hammer shank at
Jump to new posts Re: Partial strength - hammer voicing or soundboard ? by gynnis @ Yesterday at 11:12 AM

I think we need to separate the physics from the psychoacoustics. Remember, it is what we hear that's important. All of the physics is to help up get to a good sound from a very imperfect system.
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Yamaha B Series Price Question by terminaldegree @ Yesterday at 11:11 AM

There's pricing information available here: http://www.pianobuyer.com/spring14/205.html I would suggest reading the introduction before skipping straight to the Yamaha pricing page. Also, I believe the Yamaha factory warranty is 10 years, and you
Jump to new posts Re: No music rest for Roland stage pianos? by David Farley @ Yesterday at 11:10 AM

This sure sounds like the discussion that went around a couple months back when the PX-5S came out without a music rest.
Jump to new posts Re: Partial strength - hammer voicing or soundboard ? by gynnis @ Yesterday at 11:09 AM

When we tune unisons, there is a "mode locking" that occurs when the pitch gets close since the strings are closely coupled. I think Oleg has a discussion of Viennese style tuning which illustrated this effect.
Piano Forum
Read my post again. I think it's clear that I said it WOULD effect the sound (although it subtle ways) And that would have A LOT to do with being a purist according to my definition of the word.
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: I'm Back!! by Music Me @ Yesterday at 11:07 AM

Good for you! May you enjoy your new found health physically and emotionally with playing as well.
Except Steinway grands are lighter than most equivalent grands.
Page 22 of 32 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 31 32 >
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
147 registered (Alex1, accordeur, anotherscott, AndrewJCW, 46 invisible), 1679 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75566 Members
42 Forums
156235 Topics
2294533 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
teaching in a studio vs independently from home
by JRoberts
07/28/14 07:40 PM
First time piano buyer - please help!
by Ksi
07/28/14 07:29 PM
Verituner Data Download?
by A443
07/28/14 07:27 PM
Meaning of Perfect Fith in music theory
by Weiyan
07/28/14 07:14 PM
Practicing slow is only part of it
by Sweet06
07/28/14 06:50 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission