Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff by BruceD @ 07/31/14 11:44 AM

Rachmaninoff on Rachmaninoff, In the issue of Musical Courier on 5 April (1943), eight days after his death, Rachmaninoff contributed to a symposium on the state of music conducted by Leonard Liebling. By so doing, as it were posthumously, he wr
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
Jump to new posts Re: Kawai MP11 vs CA95 by Abby Pianoman @ 07/31/14 11:40 AM

Mark, congratulations on the MP11. I'm placing an order for the K&M 18950 from Thomann. I have a brand new scissor X stand from Proel that I had bought for my erstwhile MP7. I now use it with my MP11 on gigs because of the ease of assembly, b
Jump to new posts Re: P80 for £150 by fizikisto @ 07/31/14 11:39 AM

It's very old. at least 12-13 years old. And it wasn't exactly yamaha's top of the line when it was released. I'd say a risky deal for something that old. If you really like it, you could probably haggle a bit and get them to drop the price.
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Tight Key ?? by BDB @ 07/31/14 11:39 AM

Lifting the keys can cause the balance rail holes to elongate. There is binding happening. That is why there is resistance as they are lifted. When we lift keys, we lift as straight up as possible. If you are lifting from the front of the key, you a
Hi! Thank you for the response. Yes, it makes sense. It is good there are so many people willing to share and give some pieces of advice.
Thanks Peter! I think this is a question of taste ... especially when it comes to the effects. In Russia I had this old upright German piano Pfeifer's Capella, I liked it a lot. Soft touch and nice vintage sound. Now I moved and I gotta get myself
Jump to new posts Re: Opinions on Roland F130R by Jay Roland @ 07/31/14 11:35 AM

Anything you specifically want to know about the pedaling system? Please ask. Jay
Jump to new posts Re: Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions by toddy @ 07/31/14 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: jtsnI have a Yamaha NP-31 "graded" keyboard. The spring action requires a force of about 85 grams on the outer edges of the white keys in the lowest octave. I injured my left pinky with this thing. So much for "he
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? by CarlosCC @ 07/31/14 11:33 AM

That's great WiseBuff, congratulations! Sometimes I find a piano with a sign saying "Do not touch"... It's the stupidest thing on earth. If we can't "touch" it why they put the piano in a public place??? Anyway, I don't care abo
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Some interesting finds in a museum visit today! by LarryShone @ 07/31/14 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By: AnnitenthNone of these photos came up for me...just a little red X in the upper lefthand corner. Weird. Try this http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Dawnrider/library/?sort=3&src=wap&page=1 Or http://smg.photobucket.com
Hey Scott. Thanks for the reply! Nice and clear again. Here is that review that I looked up for the p105 http://bestdigitalpianoguides.com/yamaha-p105-digital-piano-review/ I think I am going to try this one in the store if I find it and if it sound
Jump to new posts P80 for £150 by LarryShone @ 07/31/14 11:26 AM

Sounds a good deal, but is it a good un? How old is the Yamaha P80? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Upright-Electronic-Piano-P80-/321475458730?_trksid=p2054897.l5667
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: teaching in a studio vs independently from home by John v.d.Brook @ 07/31/14 11:16 AM

Gary, if only life were so uncomplicated. It's probably not considered "involuntary" if you voluntarily signed the employment contract. As for quitting, the employer has reasonable expectations and expenses based on hiring you, so has the
Jump to new posts Re: Meaning of Perfect Fith in music theory by prout @ 07/31/14 11:08 AM

I vote Quinte for P5 and quinte juste for a beatless fifth. Quinte juste, it rolls off the tongue.
Jump to new posts Re: Meaning of Perfect Fith in music theory by A443 @ 07/31/14 11:03 AM

Originally Posted By: keystringI've seen in the English speaking world, so English terminology, that different regions, and also different schools and systems, will use varying terminology. Also there is a difference between what musicians will use,
Jump to new posts Re: Something (Anything) Other Than ET by Jon Page @ 07/31/14 11:02 AM

Maybe you would have the same critique of the tuning if it were an attempt at ET. Piano quality and hammer technique for stability has to be factored in. Then there's always one's personal preference for or having been conditioned to ET, the later is
Jump to new posts Re: Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions by jtsn @ 07/31/14 11:01 AM

I have a Yamaha NP-31 "graded" keyboard. The spring action requires a force of about 85 grams on the outer edges of the white keys in the lowest octave. I injured my left pinky with this thing. So much for "heavy" actions on digit
Jump to new posts Re: Something (Anything) Other Than ET by gynnis @ 07/31/14 11:00 AM

Look at Owen H Jorgensen's 1991 book "Tuning". It is full of 18th and 19th century temperaments.
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Learning progress by Morodiene @ 07/31/14 10:56 AM

Is it a competition or a festival - something that is judged, but any student can advance to "state" or another level, or no advancement at all, just judge comments? The word competition can encompass many different things, and so it's hard
Jump to new posts Re: What makes crisp clear tone? by prout @ 07/31/14 10:55 AM

When I practice with the lid completely closed (music desk on top of closed lid) I hear the difference in attack/hold/decay/sustain/sizzle, etc. much more easily, as the upper partials are reduced. Does anyone ever do string levelling, voicing with
Jump to new posts Re: Meaning of Perfect Fith in music theory by Olek @ 07/31/14 10:52 AM

You also could use : The sleepy 5th The dangerous 5th The acrobatic 5th The hyperactive 5th The Ill 5th. The deceased 5th
Jump to new posts Re: Meaning of Perfect Fith in music theory by Olek @ 07/31/14 10:49 AM

Originally Posted By: GadzarFor what I understand, "Perfect" is a reminiscence of the old days, when it was used for intervals in fact pure, beatless, perfectly harmonious. Today, the word "perfect" is used only to differentiate
Jump to new posts Re: Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions by ando @ 07/31/14 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: dire tonic There was one item which got me thinking about the possibly negative trade-off of a long-key DP (GF action?). While you get the better uniformity of leverage along the key length you also have a higher inertial mass.
Pianist Corner
Originally Posted By: briansaddlebackI'm sure there is some level of bias in all competitions , people aren't perfect but no one is out there to maliciously fix the competitions. This is stated from someone who didn't win much and using a very small
Jump to new posts Re: Tuning a piano lower than standard pitch by gynnis @ 07/31/14 10:43 AM

I did notice that raising the pitch from 438 to 440 on my Seiler improved the decay time. It doesn't sound so dry.
Page 30 of 36 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 35 36 >
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
86 registered (Anticlock, Atrys, Art_Vandelay, Augustina, aesop, 28 invisible), 1258 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156347 Topics
2296295 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Debussy's opinion of other composers
by phantomFive
55 minutes 20 seconds ago
Ivory v. Plastic Questions
by Retsacnal
Yesterday at 11:50 PM
The worst student in your studio
by Cardinal201
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
Piano Movers
by DancerJ
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
Yesterday at 07:22 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission