Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What makes crisp clear tone? by A443 @ Today at 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: SMHaleyAm I beginning to sense a bias here? I remember noting a favoritism towards... what was it... a Japanese chisel or some such thing? No, that is not a bias, that is the expression of my experience. Yamaha pianos, for exam
Composer's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Anti-academic arrogance. by gsmonks @ Today at 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: A443Composition in university is approached differently these days, than in the past. These days, in America, it is more about bashing and thrashing around without functional knowledge, and that is indeed in an attempt not dupli
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
Jump to new posts Re: USB hub recommendations? by dire tonic @ Today at 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: David FarleyDitto on the powered hub. Save yourself some headaches up front. - thanks, even Amazon's feedback is hinting at that. It's in the balance...
Jump to new posts Re: Broken Butt Plate - Replacement part? by Frank Pinn @ Today at 03:37 PM

Eric just to let you know, there was a problem in the past with the butt plate holes not being centered as you mentioned but the most recent shipments have addressed that problem.
Composer's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Anti-academic arrogance. by gsmonks @ Today at 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: NikolasOriginally Posted By: gsmonksThat's right, Scott. You don't think. You seem not to listen to how you come across either. nice going... "welcome" back mate! Ah, I was wondering when the other troll would put
Composer's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Anti-academic arrogance. by gsmonks @ Today at 03:35 PM

I should perhaps clarify what I meant by composers and educators head-butting one another: Back in the 60's and early 70's, educators were hounding composers to codify their methods. Those of you who were around at the time will remember that compos
Jump to new posts Re: What makes crisp clear tone? by BDB @ Today at 03:35 PM

There are an awful lot of Steinway pianos out there that have never been prepped as well as Yamahas are coming out of the factory. Yamahas and Steinways are different, and while I would not necessarily recommend one over the other against the tastes
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Lamp for Piano by PhilipInChina @ Today at 03:34 PM

Mine is already posted on a separate thread.
Jump to new posts Re: Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions by dire tonic @ Today at 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: bennevisI think people are measuring their key weights in a different manner here. I measured mine down to and not beyond the let-off notch. I see no evidence of differences that can't be fully normalised.
Jump to new posts Re: What makes crisp clear tone? by SMHaley @ Today at 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: A443 Many pianist dismiss Yamaha as a quality piano, even though that is the piano they own: "it's OK, but it's not an S&S." Those statements drive me cray: I think it's sad. If people would put the same amount of
Composer's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Anti-academic arrogance. by gsmonks @ Today at 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: A443What is this thread about? I'm confused: does anyone want to discuss anti-academic arrogance? There are many academics out there, a lot of arrogance [on both sides], lots of corruption, and anti-sentiment towards academics
Olek's "Smiley Unison" is a subset of the Sustain unisons. It has a greater push forward than simply one string slightly sharp. This is probably the best solution for most pianos in the melodic section of the piano. Like most people's faces
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: BALDWIN R vs. STEINWAY M by Del @ Today at 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: tdv<Better than either of these will be the Walter 175> LOL. Of course, you are not prejudiced are you Del?! Kidding aside I drove to the Walter factory a year or so ago just to play the 175. There are probably better 5
Jump to new posts Re: Meaning of Perfect Fith in music theory by Mark Cerisano, RPT @ Today at 03:21 PM

A fifth is any pair of letters five apart. (BF, CG, DA etc.)The quality, MmPdA, refers to whether the upper note is in the major key of the lower or not.PMMPPMMP for U2345678. Then, if the note is lowered a semitone: dmmddmmd, P->d, M->m. Raise
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Lamp for Piano by Troy 125 @ Today at 03:21 PM

http://www.houseoftroy.com/products_sub.aspx?Category=Application&Item=Piano+and+Desk+Lamps I have a House of Troy, though I no longer use it as we moved the piano to a well lit area and the new piano's lid (have an upright) props open.
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: A pianist joke by PaperClip @ Today at 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: DamonThat would have been funnier if it had been funny. Tell me your best joke! Now I'm curious!
Jump to new posts Re: Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions by bennevis @ Today at 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: toddy 'Horowitz's D averaged a 41 gram downweight across the keyboard as opposed to the graduated standard of 52 to 47grams'. Well, armed with a pile of euro coins and a table of weights, I've just found out that my (middle) D
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Proper chunking method by Edtek @ Today at 03:10 PM

Iím not sure if Iím doing this slow chunk thing right. I divide a new piece into phrases, usually 4 or 8 measures each (easy piano pieces so no need to go smaller). Then I go through the piece, playing each chunk/phrase until I get them all perfect
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Fritz Kuhla Modell B by Ville-Matti @ Today at 03:10 PM

Thanks for all for your answers! Sorry for the delay; the answering has taken some time. Oh, could this Fritz Kuhla really be that old (from 1926)? If that is the case, it seems I made a good deal when I bought the piano. I found it from a flea mark
Jump to new posts Re: USB hub recommendations? by David Farley @ Today at 03:09 PM

Ditto on the powered hub. Save yourself some headaches up front.
Jump to new posts Re: What makes crisp clear tone? by A443 @ Today at 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: WilliamTruittAnd now for a loaded question - if you have a customer whom you know to play with a heavy hand, hour after hour, would you still file your flat profile onto the top of the hammer?Absolutely I would, without any hesi
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Lamp for Piano by DancerJ @ Today at 03:08 PM

What kind/brand of lamp do you have for your piano? I didn't buy my piano yet, but we will put my piano in our basement. I am going to need a lamp. Shopping for a lamp should be easy, compared with shopping for a piano, I assume.
Jump to new posts Re: What makes crisp clear tone? by Olek @ Today at 03:07 PM

"Sustain: the more-or-less constant/straight decay (i.e., shapeless) portion of the sound envelope. This is adjustable with string tension, and soundboard/rim design. It has, as far as I can tell, very little practical use in terms of performanc
Composer's Lounge
Jump to new posts Sonatina in G by Ritzycat @ Today at 03:06 PM

I present my next piece, Sonatina in G. I did not spend very much time on this one musically, yet I think it came out alright. Hopefully the score is readable. Score Listen to it here Intended to be the first movement of a three-work piece, h
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts schulze pollmann upright piano SP-114/p4 by how0425 @ Today at 03:01 PM

my wife and I are shopping for our first piano, I don't play but my wife played many years ago and we try to get our four-year-old started. We came acrossed a 2004 schulze pollmann sp-114 45" upright piano in very good condition from our untrain
Page 5 of 31 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 30 31 >
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
148 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, 45 invisible), 1782 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75579 Members
42 Forums
156266 Topics
2294926 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
M-Audio Oxygen 88 vs. StudioLogic Numa Compact
by snapdragon
07/29/14 07:02 PM
Sheet Music Retainers
by MargaretUK
07/29/14 05:20 PM
piano contest
by wkurashima
07/29/14 04:47 PM
piano contest Clavinova
by wkurashima
07/29/14 04:39 PM
Proper chunking method
by Edtek
07/29/14 03:10 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission