Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, ando, AllanH, 35 invisible), 1606 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Playing black keys with my thumbs? by JohnSprung @ 3 minutes 26 seconds ago

I simply can't fit most of my fingers between the black keys without playing all three, so I have to re-finger or even re-arrange to make something workable. I do use the thumb on black keys sometimes, often it's when doing a slide-off to an adjacen
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: MOYD 2015 by Palmpirate @ 6 minutes 21 seconds ago

[quote=ClsscLib people think I'm traveling with a large refrigerator. After that, traveling with a keyboard seems, well, not *easy* -- but easier! [/quote] My niece play double bass and we called that case - The Coffin. Her parents drove it all ove
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
I would just do a flat rate unless there were a real and significant reason to do otherwise. I find higher end grands way more comfortable to tune than just about any upright of any size. The higher end grands I've worked on tend to have more even s
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: MOYD 2015 by SwissMS @ 17 minutes 46 seconds ago

Hello fiver! I will indeed put you on the late starter list!
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Playing black keys with my thumbs? by chopin_r_us @ 18 minutes 11 seconds ago

Bach and Mozart were fine with the thumb on black notes. I'm forever changing given fingerings for students done by those who either don't care or don't know. Obviously you do what you want though!
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Posture and a Pre-existing Condition by chopin_r_us @ 20 minutes 57 seconds ago

Learn to do scales and arpeggios with the elbows still hanging at your side. The trick is stretching the thumb under the palm. When it won't stretch any further (rare) then you're allowed to move the elbow out a little.
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Where do you buy your sheet music from? by JohnSprung @ 24 minutes 24 seconds ago

I get free public domain popular music from the Lester S. Levy collection at Johns Hopkins. You can download PDF's of the scanned originals. Most of it is from 1922 and earlier. http://levysheetmusic.mse.jhu.edu/
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
Jump to new posts Re: More Kawai VPC-1 Questions...... by newbert @ 29 minutes 59 seconds ago

Originally Posted By vinalopoHi Newbert, I am happy you got your issue almost solved one credit card is not enought, 2 - 2 and 1/2 width depending on the card is ok please note, in my case I got a better result loosening all screws althrought looseni
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
Jump to new posts Roland damper pedal mechanically clicks when I let up on it. by Tuneless @ 32 minutes 11 seconds ago

I am new to piano, and have come across a couple of pieces of music that require me to use the damper pedal, because I can not move my hand fast enough, or reach my fingers far enough to accomplish what it required. So, this is my first experience u
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Posture and a Pre-existing Condition by newbert @ 34 minutes 18 seconds ago

I'm 63 and have similar problems to yours, as well as lower back pain. It's important to be set up properly and be comfortable at the keyboard. If you start feeling any muscle tightness/pain, it's time to rest or make an adjustment to your sitting
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: MOYD 2015 by fiver @ 37 minutes 52 seconds ago

Put this newb on the latecomer list.
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Concert Attire by Piano*Dad @ 47 minutes 27 seconds ago

Yes, yes, well … suited for that.
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Playing black keys with my thumbs? by keystring @ 48 minutes 10 seconds ago

Isn't there a general bit of advice that you avoid using your thumb and pinky on black keys, but sometimes when you have to, you do?
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: First acoustic piano by JohnSprung @ 48 minutes 28 seconds ago

The best idea is to keep the digital and practice on both, going back and forth. That way you'll develop the ability to adapt to different responses.
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: buying piano at the fabric by PianoWorksATL @ 52 minutes 34 seconds ago

I don't know Blüthner's policy, however for many factory selections, arrangements are made through your local dealer before you go. If there is no dealer or distributor for the company to your part of the world, the factory may assist you directly.
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Delay with loading forum pages? by michaelha @ 55 minutes 27 seconds ago

I've also noticed some request to dl.dropboxusercontent.com hang a bit and slow down the loading of the page sometimes, but doesn't block too long. One patch you can do is to block all requests going to dl.dropboxusercontent.com. Add this line to y
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: buying piano at the fabric by Robert 45 @ 55 minutes 30 seconds ago

Stefan, Is your reason in buying directly from the factory to get the piano less expensively or to have a wider selection of instruments or both? I believe that some factories have showrooms where pianos are for sale, but I would think that most man
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Can you identify this baby grand? by JohnSprung @ 56 minutes 17 seconds ago

First, look at the piano in person, and play it. If it's still of interest to you after that, pay a tuner/technician to check it out. They may be able to find out what it is by looking deeper into the action.
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Concert Attire by BruceD @ 56 minutes 53 seconds ago

Originally Posted By Piano*DadPerfect for playing minimalism: ... just bare-ly ... but could perhaps get her audience into the swim of things ...
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: How stressful are exams/competitions/events for teachers? by WendyandMilo @ 58 minutes 5 seconds ago

Thank you all. I am going to talk to the teacher but we've had some cultural/communication "oops" in the past so I wanted to get a feel for whether this was because of me so I could approach it a little differently. I don't have friends w
Piano Forum
There are two major reasons: Del Fandrich and computers. ;-)
Adult Beginners Forum
blackjack1777 Hahah...I don't know, I think Raisins and Almonds is probably the prettiest song in the whole volume 1, even if it does have a somewhat wistful feeling.
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: My first post :-) by blackjack1777 @ Today at 02:15 PM

MrsS congrats on taking up piano and on joining the board!! I'm also close to your age and started as an absolute beginner about 9 months ago. I think you will really enjoy the journey! Welcome aboard!
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Playing black keys with my thumbs? by blackjack1777 @ Today at 02:13 PM

I agree with Dru on this. My teacher has me play the white keys further up so that if I'm using a thumb on a black key I don't have to contort my wrist at all. At first this was difficult to do because there is less space when playing the white key
Pianist Corner
Alright, I don't think there's much left to discuss here. I don't think the whole Rach 3 is happening during my high school years, simply due to not having enough time to learn it. But after I succeed with performing Rach 2, I would want to at least
Page 1 of 108 1 2 3 107 108 >
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland damper pedal mechanically clicks when I let up on it.
by Tuneless
30 minutes 57 seconds ago
Playing black keys with my thumbs?
by cfit
Today at 01:48 PM
buying piano at the fabric
by Stefan_578
Today at 01:17 PM
Posture and a Pre-existing Condition
by Noonie
Today at 01:17 PM
My first post :-)
by MrsS
Today at 12:02 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,528 Registered Members
44 Forums
164,553 Topics
2,413,941 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission