Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
RECITAL TIME!
Attention music teachers, we have gift items for your students. Students, we have gift items for your teacher!

Teacher & Student Gift Items

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
102 registered (AndyP, 36251, ando, anamnesis, Amusingprofessor, 27 invisible), 1598 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Backposts by Bob @ Today at 08:41 PM

In my experience, a piano with heavy, oversize backposts holds a tuning better than those pianos with lightweight back posts. Examples of pianos with larger back posts would be Steinway uprights, Essex EUP, Baldwin 243, Institutional Yamaha and K
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Hilarious Craigslist finds by Jean Claude @ Today at 08:27 PM

My thanks again, Twocats. I must say that this way of forming new verbs does add colour and humour to language. It is, unhappily, something that happens far less in French than in English, which is a shame as we might otherwise have, for example Ho
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Soundboard braces by Bob @ Today at 08:24 PM

Also search "riblets" add on ribs to increase soundboard stiffness. http://www.fandrich.com/index.php?&location=tools
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What piano wood do you prefer? by twocats @ Today at 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By WhoDwaldiI wouldn't mind a mahogany Steinway A with tulip legs. I thought ice cream cone legs were my favorite, but I think that just got bumped. Tulip legs are so elegant! <swoon>
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Backposts by 8 Octaves @ Today at 08:02 PM

According to Del Fandrich, a piano's design or quality is not based solely on the number or the size of its back posts. As always, a piano is the sum of all design elements, if one only look at one element in isolation, it becomes meaningless. Here
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What piano wood do you prefer? by WhoDwaldi @ Today at 08:01 PM

I wouldn't mind a mahogany Steinway A with tulip legs.
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Was Chopin a Spy? by ChatNoir @ Today at 07:58 PM

Anybody remember Sam's piano in "Casablanca" where Rick hid the transport visas? Pianos are good for so many things.
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Hilarious Craigslist finds by twocats @ Today at 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By Jean ClaudeOK, just for a semi-literate frog, what is to MacGyver? From Wikipedia. I actually never watched the TV show but someone had to explain to me about some of the jokes in Stargate SG-1 (the actor who plays MacGyver
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course by TonyB @ Today at 07:49 PM

Weeelll, I did it! The tune in lesson 4 that uses swing bass (so far) is "Mulberry Bush". It is a children's song, but perfect for its simplicity and how well it fits the swing bass. I finished my practice for today, with being able to p
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What piano wood do you prefer? by ChatNoir @ Today at 07:47 PM

My favored piano will always be black. It's timeless, it's slimming, and always comes back in style when the fancy bubinga and burl have dizzied us all with their mind blowing swirl. Walnut, mahogany, rosewood or teak, they're cute for a while, but a
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What piano wood do you prefer? by twocats @ Today at 07:45 PM

Satin mahogany-- I love a warm wood finish. There are probably other brown wood finishes that I'd also like, but that's the one that comes to mind. Funny that two of my pianos happened to be glossy reddish mahogany (flame and pyramid) which would
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Baldwin grand advice by Retsacnal @ Today at 07:43 PM

Since I bought my M, I've been sort of watching the "Baldwin market" in my region. My anecdotal observations are that there are fewer up for sale, and that prices have krept up too. The prices aren't completely stratified by model either,
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Hilarious Craigslist finds by iLaw @ Today at 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By twocatsOriginally Posted By RicksterI don't think I've ever heard "Tom Sawyer" used a verb Me neither, but I appreciated it like "MacGyver" is used as a verb. Just hopefully not applied to rigging up a piano!
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Hilarious Craigslist finds by Jean Claude @ Today at 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By twocatsOriginally Posted By RicksterI don't think I've ever heard "Tom Sawyer" used a verb Me neither, but I appreciated it like "MacGyver" is used as a verb. Just hopefully not applied to rigging up a piano!
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Baldwin grand advice by Retsacnal @ Today at 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By michaelhaOriginally Posted By ScoutMy 1989 L might be on the market one day if I get run over by a Mack truck and end up in a permanent coma. :--} If you got hit by a Mack truck you wouldn't be in a coma. But it would like
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Kenya burns stockpile of ivory by Retsacnal @ Today at 07:35 PM

Burning the stockpile had no impact on the ivory market, at least in terms of supply, demand, or prices, because it's already been removed from the market (unless it's being pilfered and sold), so the market value for ivory already reflects its absen
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What piano wood do you prefer? by dogperson @ Today at 07:30 PM

African mahogany-- because of the variation in the color of the wood. Here is a description from the internet: light red-brown color with pink overtones darker brown ribbon stripes that undulate from one end to the other
Adult Beginners Forum
Originally Posted By David Farley...three types of students: a) The ones who were basically talented at being talented. They could have chosen to study anything and be a success at it, but they happened to choose music... This gives me a new way
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Half an hour in your shoes by Whizbang @ Today at 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By keystringWell these parents "helped" by telling the child to go on to the next measure, which he then "practised" the same way He couldn't really start the second measure. From my listening point downstairs,
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Hilarious Craigslist finds by Retsacnal @ Today at 07:17 PM

Some of my favorite Twain characters are the "King" and the "Duke!" To be or not to be, that is the bare bodkin... I come across a lot of kings and dukes online...
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Hilarious Craigslist finds by twocats @ Today at 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By RicksterI don't think I've ever heard "Tom Sawyer" used a verb Me neither, but I appreciated it like "MacGyver" is used as a verb. Just hopefully not applied to rigging up a piano!
Centennial D stringing scale: 14-1/2 - 4 15 - 4 15-1/2 - 4 16 - 9 16-1/2 - 6 17 - 8 17-1/2 - 6 18 - 8 19 - 8 20 - 4 21 - 4
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Printed piano music by Isabelle1949 @ Today at 07:04 PM

Sinophilia, I took snap shots of music and cropped out the junk. Will se how it works on my iPad. Also picked up reading glasses at 2.5 power. My regular glasses are the near, far and in between kind, so to use the reading part I had to arch my ne
Pianist Corner - Non Classical
Jump to new posts Re: Let's Talk Weddings by ClsscLib @ Today at 07:03 PM

Robin, how wonderful that you're doing the PianoWorld Milan shindig! I would drop everything and go, except that we have already booked a flat on Victoria Island for a getaway then. Have fun!
Jump to new posts Re: Soundboard braces by Withindale @ Today at 07:01 PM

Stiffness. See http://www.whyyouhearwhatyouhear.com/chapterfiles/chpt19/other/JAS002128.pdf. Also see Physics of the Piano (page 94)
Page 2 of 85 < 1 2 3 4 84 85 >
What's Hot!!

--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(ad)
Hammond A100 for Sale!
PRICE DROPPED!
(Think B3)
Hammond A100 for sale!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad 125)
Sweetwater $55,000 Giveaway
Sweetwater $55,000 Mic Locker Giveaway
(ads)
PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What piano wood do you prefer?
by andres_1001
05/03/16 06:37 PM
Soundboard braces
by Beemer
05/03/16 06:13 PM
Backposts
by andres_1001
05/03/16 05:15 PM
Piano String Covers - Canada
by ryanmanwich
05/03/16 04:29 PM
Bleichröder Berlin - does it exist?
by clueless101
05/03/16 04:10 PM
Forum Stats
83,498 Registered Members
44 Forums
172,378 Topics
2,520,980 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission