Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
80 registered (angga888, AZNpiano, Alan Cyr, Anne H, AnimistFvR, 24 invisible), 1175 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Piano Forum
To Ed McMorrow, RPT- Thank you for mentioning two issues I hadn't thought of. I knew to call in an independent Techician when looking at used pianos, but appreciate the idea of doing so for new pianos as well. Also thank you for mentioning the issu
Piano Forum
Originally Posted By: phantomFiveOriginally Posted By: ElaineAllegroIf it's that easy to play and makes me sound so much better (per friends who listened), will it really help me further develop my technique if there's no struggle? Will I develop su
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Technique for holding down chords by anamnesis @ Today at 01:49 AM

To feel the structure of your bones, yet feel you relaxed you need to use the intrinsic muscles to support your hand on one hand and the shoulder/back at the other, like two ends of chain. Imagine an upward force supporting your hand from below, ra
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Technique for holding down chords by Piano Doug @ Today at 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: DeadPoetsWhat does taking the weight off the fingers mean? A mere 50 grams of weight or so is necessary to keep a key held down. Make sure you are not continuing to use downward force in holding the chord. Let the weight of t
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: What's your definition of music? by Piano Doug @ Today at 01:35 AM

The best and most succinct definition I've heard came from my freshman music 101 course: The art which uses sound as its medium.
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Technique for holding down chords by DeadPoets @ Today at 01:30 AM

I'm playing a Dm7 chord and she's trying to get me to feel the "necessary/good" tension in the structure of my finger bones and nowhere else (in my case it's clearly still in my forearms as I hold the notes and thus causing excess strain an
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Harmonic Analysis by AZNpiano @ Today at 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: musicpassionOriginally Posted By: AZNpianoFor students on the CM path, they have to learn harmonic analysis all the way up to secondary dominants, Do you find that your students are generally playing secondary dominants long be
Piano Forum
Originally Posted By: ElaineAllegroIf it's that easy to play and makes me sound so much better (per friends who listened), will it really help me further develop my technique if there's no struggle? Will I develop sufficient technique that will carr
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
Jump to new posts New piano student by IWG. @ Today at 01:18 AM

I just started learning piano from Nov and currently going for grade 5 but the piano I have is a digital piano (casio px150) I bought it before I started piano lessons as a hobby and became more interested in it after learning chopin's op64. No.2. Th
Piano Forum
Thank you all for your responses. Here are my admittedly non-technical, intermediate adult student impressions: Steingraeber pluses: Incredibly easier to play, I didn't want to stop, very responsive, amazing quality of sound that washes over me dir
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Harmonic Analysis by musicpassion @ Today at 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: AZNpianoFor students on the CM path, they have to learn harmonic analysis all the way up to secondary dominants, Do you find that your students are generally playing secondary dominants long before they would appear on the CM e
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Harmonic Analysis by musicpassion @ Today at 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: hreichgottThis is usually also the first time my students ever see Roman numerals! (except the adults)Yes I've encountered the same problem.
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Harmonic Analysis by musicpassion @ Today at 12:33 AM

Quote:I must maintain a certain number of students like any other teacher to keep the teaching studio viable, so I cannot afford to be too imperious, although, earlier today I politely turned down a prospective student because it was plainly evident
Piano Forum
Originally Posted By: musicpassion[quote=Norbert]Quote: I strongly disagree with this.+1 I love long (useful) sustain. I don't know why a classical pianist wouldn't. Of course a long sustain is useful for classical pianists. My experience is us
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
Jump to new posts Re: questions about tuning the top octave by rysowers @ Today at 12:27 AM

Now now, Bill let's not fan the flames! One extreme statement by one poster leads to more and more and then it really DOES interfere with a reasonable discussion. Although, I was not aware until recently that most of the "Real Techs"
Composer's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: metronome markings by Michael Sayers @ Today at 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Steve ChandlerOriginally Posted By: Michael SayersOriginally Posted By: currawongI don't know what your "source" is, but I've always assumed that mm 90-130 means pick a number in that range and go with it, not wander a
Piano Forum
Originally Posted By: Norbert[quote] I strongly disagree with this.+1 I love long (useful) sustain. I don't know why a classical pianist wouldn't.
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Technique for holding down chords by Derulux @ Today at 12:16 AM

What have you tried so far? Have you tried taking the "weight" off your fingers?
Piano Forum
I'm sorry to say I've never played...or even seen a Steingraeber 170. If you had the chance to describe the experience of playing both to us, that would be fabulous!
Piano Forum
Quote: the Steingraeber has longer sustain, but that seems to be something jazz pianists care about more than classical pianists. I strongly disagree with this. First off,Steingraebers were never designed for Jazz pianists as such and have long bee
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Call me irresponsible.... by BDB @ Today at 12:09 AM

The bushings may wear, but for the vast majority of pianists, it is not a big deal, not worth paying more than the piano is worth to replace them, which is often the case.
Adult Beginners Forum
Hem... There's a movie of the show, you know that, right? With Jodie Foster. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166485/ So chances are they MIGHT know the show. Other than that I don't often care about "PC" and what not, especially since I'm no
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Technique for holding down chords by anamnesis @ Today at 12:01 AM

Are you just playing the chord, or you trying to do something deliberate to take away the tension? Sometimes in the act of trying to be relaxed, you can actually introduce tension
Piano Forum
Both good pianos. The Steingraeber has notes like clear bells throughout the entire scale. The Steinway has a tenor that roars, a treble that sings, and highs that twinkle. Both have excellent touch; the Steingraeber has longer sustain, but that s
Piano Forum
Having played a number of models from both companies, I can advise with confidence... . . . you really have to decide for yourself based on your preferences. Best wishes,
Page 2 of 107 < 1 2 3 4 ... 106 107 >
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Problem with mothergoosetools.com website
by daniokeeper
11/26/14 02:33 AM
New piano student
by IWG.
11/26/14 01:18 AM
Technique for holding down chords
by DeadPoets
11/25/14 11:07 PM
Steingraeber A170 vs. Steinway M - appreciate helpful input
by ElaineAllegro
11/25/14 09:26 PM
Rachmaninov Sonatas - 1 vs 2?
by iObsessed
11/25/14 08:07 PM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159358 Topics
2340914 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission