Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Ad
Let Your Piano Sing
Let Your Piano Sing
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
128 registered (Abby Pianoman, ajames, ando, anamnesis, 31 invisible), 1918 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Math? by JohnSprung @ 11/28/16 01:42 PM

M.A. in math, 1971. The math in music is very simple -- integer ratios, 12th root of 2.... but not any help with actually playing. Playing is much closer to athletics than math, it's doing physical things precisely in real time.
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Gender aimed scores? I don't think so! by Candywoman @ 11/28/16 01:40 PM

You say, "I'm very much a man." (By the way, what does that mean?) "A few male students would be turned off." (Why?) You're definitely contradicting yourself and following the modern gender identity politics agenda of confusion.
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
Jump to new posts Re: Black Friday Sales by Macy @ 11/28/16 01:27 PM

Guitar Center has 15% off on selected items. Garritan CFX is included, which drops the price from $159 to $135.
Adult Beginners Forum
Carbs get a bad rap, mostly from internet mis-information and literary short-term opportunists who exploit people's overeating by producing diet books. That the vast majority of humans who have ever lived and who are now living have a diet based on
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Parents in or out of lessons by TimR @ 11/28/16 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By AZNpiano“Children begin by loving their parents; as they grow older they judge them; sometimes they forgive them.” -- Oscar Wilde I think it was Fritz Perls who said nobody gets the quality and quantity of parenting they
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
Originally Posted By Charles CohenTake a look at Steinberger guitars. The string is fixed at one end, goes over a nut very close to the end-point. Then down the fingerboard, over the bridge, and then is firmly attached to a bolt, in line with the
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Math? by TimR @ 11/28/16 01:20 PM

As an engineer I'm comfortable with math. I've never thought there was much overlap if any between music and math. The only exception I can think of personally is transposing. It's not that different from a mathematical transform like the Laplac
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Chopin's 4th Ballade by BruceD @ 11/28/16 01:19 PM

Schumann's Träumerei from Kinderszenen could also work well, in my opinion. At my mother's memorial service there was no instrument to play in the chapel (!!), so I gave the attendant a CD with explicit instructions which track to play. Instead
Jump to new posts Re: Change in Username because.... by Tim P @ 11/28/16 01:15 PM

On the subject of mirrorless and DSLRs. I also have a Fuji mirrorless, which I bought after my Canon DSLR died. My thinking was that since I take photos occasionally these days, I'd be much more likely to take a small setup with me more often than I
Pianist Corner - Non Classical
Jump to new posts Re: How is a Saloon piano sound achieved? by Charles Cohen @ 11/28/16 01:14 PM

If you get a copy of Pianoteq (a software-based digital piano), there's a "Condition" slider. To the left, perfect tuning, completely even hammers. To the right, randomly-awful tuning, some hammers harder than others, some keys mis-adjust
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Why not a roller bearing instead of an agraffe or bar? by Charles Cohen @ 11/28/16 01:11 PM

Take a look at Steinberger guitars. The string is fixed at one end, goes over a nut very close to the end-point. Then down the fingerboard, over the bridge, and then is firmly attached to a bolt, in line with the string. [I don't know whether th
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Methods of boosting concentrationalong wio levels? by JohnSprung @ 11/28/16 01:09 PM

I heard that oatmeal was an exception, or at least had fewer issues than other grains. True?
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Math? by keystring @ 11/28/16 01:04 PM

Tom, check my post #2590488 dated Nov. 27, in the thread about "parents in or out of lessons" in the teacher forum. I happened to address the idea of math, and how math might be perceived vis-a-vis music in that post. It might give you th
Jump to new posts Re: Question about a chord progression by Nahum @ 11/28/16 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By jjoThe tune Groove Merchant, which is in Bb, ends with this turn around: Bb/F D7/F# G-7 Eb7 C-7 F7 Bb I'm good with everything except the Eb7. Without that, it's a pretty basic I III vi ii V turnaround. The Eb7 is easy to pla
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Gender aimed scores? I don't think so! by Nikolas @ 11/28/16 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By jdwCould call them romances, even. A good idea really, but it seems to be a little "anachronistic", plus they are quite personal (which is part of my character: Going public for anything personal. It really helps better
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Math? by Charles Cohen @ 11/28/16 01:00 PM

Quote: I keep writing a paragraph and erasing it without posting. I never really thought that learning music would be this hard. I thought it would just be a matter of discipline and sticking with it. But there are days when I wonder why I do this to
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Gender aimed scores? I don't think so! by jdw @ 11/28/16 12:56 PM

Could call them romances, even.
Jump to new posts Re: FYI: Garritan CFX Update Released by dire tonic @ 11/28/16 12:56 PM

CG - why don't you submit also?
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Chopin's 4th Ballade by Nemaara @ 11/28/16 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By dogpersonOriginally Posted By Tubbie0075Prelude No. 16 (raindrop)? That would work, or Adagio from Pathetique, or Chopin Prelude No. 4, Bach Prelude 846 or many others. The bottom line is the music should not be long or virtu
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What do the Pedals Mean to You? by JohnSprung @ 11/28/16 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By CassiaIn addition to the wear, I also have a permanent indentation in the rug in front of the sustain pedal from my heel. I've had this piano and rug for less than 8 months. No matter what kind of floor treatment you have, i
Adult Beginners Forum
Well, my naps, when I feel I must have them, are NOT refreshing, and I'm pretty sure it is a Candida problem, but I have the material on hand to chase these away for awhile, Nystatin in capsules, so that is just an aside for those that might be in th
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What do the Pedals Mean to You? by JohnSprung @ 11/28/16 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By iObsessedOriginally Posted By JohnSprung On uprights it can do lots of things, lift the bass dampers only, drop a piece of felt between the hammers and strings, turn the music light on and off.... LOL at the last one. Which
Jump to new posts Re: Question about a chord progression by Eric399 @ 11/28/16 12:47 PM

I don't understand the Eb7, which makes the Cm7 sound rather weak. Maybe an E°7 instead would sound better....
Jump to new posts Re: FYI: Garritan CFX Update Released by tdwctdwc @ 11/28/16 12:38 PM

Awesome. Thank You.
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Math? by dire tonic @ 11/28/16 12:37 PM

I was a math major (uk B.Sc.) and taught for a year then followed music as a life career (pop!). I still have a math bent but don't see any useful connection between musical and mathematical thinking other than on the most basic level.
Page 65 of 66 < 1 2 63 64 65 66 >
What's Hot!!
Some New Piano World STATS

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
(ad)
Defining National Piano Schools - Perceptions
Defining National Piano Schools - Perceptions
(ad)
Piano Lamps - Piano Lights
Piano Lamp by cocoweb - free shipping
New in Piano World's online store PianoSupplies.com , beautiful piano lamps from cocoweb. Free shipping! (continental U.S.).
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha DGX 660 or Casio PX860 or Something Else?
by ttDivine
12/05/16 11:32 AM
Yamaha Ydp 131 sound problem (interference)
by Marko_J
12/05/16 11:16 AM
Last day for N.I. Una Corda half price sale ($74.50)
by brooster
12/05/16 09:25 AM
Trills
by johan d
12/05/16 04:19 AM
New Teacher?
by ~Ryan
12/04/16 10:50 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
85,773 Registered Members
44 Forums
176,801 Topics
2,576,338 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2016 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission