Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
139 registered (A Guy, Anita Potter, anamnesis, AndyP, accordeur, 44 invisible), 1334 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
Originally Posted By TonyBI recall that from my days in the local Audio Society. There were those who simply listened and determined what to buy based on what they heard, while others were deeply involved in the "facts and figures" aspect
Jump to new posts Re: Dynamic level sampling for digital pianos by anotherscott @ 02/26/15 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By dewsterYes, but all things being equal I'd take a more sampled instrument over a less sampled instrument any day. And the less monkeying they have to do to those samples the better. OTOH, aren't some of your favorite DPs the Ro
Members Recordings - Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Chopin Mazurka Op 50 # 3 by BruceD @ 02/26/15 10:52 AM

There's a remarkable clarity not only to the sound but also to your articulation; or, perhaps the sound is so clear because the articulation and use of pedal are so judiciously done. I wouldn't think you need to play around too much with the tempo;
Jump to new posts Re: First Scriabin! Op. 2 No. 2 Prelude in B Major by Cinnamonbear @ 02/26/15 10:43 AM

Wow, TS. This is beautiful! Your playing is so patient. The music sounds "comfortable in its own skin," if you know what I mean. Quiet and confident and at peace with itself. You're really on to something, here. --Andy
Originally Posted By Jay RolandStill, all those numbers don't meet the subjective criteria of "How do they feel under YOUR fingers" The subjectivity is what makes some pianos "good" and some "bad" even though their sampl
Pianist Corner - Non Classical
Jump to new posts Re: Approaching Jazz Chords by Farmerjones @ 02/26/15 10:33 AM

I asked this question to a Jazz guitarist that also plays piano. His explanation thus, "Playing everything in 1st inversion is like bar chording everything." It's not the jumping around that deters me, in fact I practiced a bunch of songs,
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Who gets to play in concerts? by Cinnamonbear @ 02/26/15 10:33 AM

Originally Posted By hreichgott[...] Talent and musical training won't teach you how to build a life. [...] This is such an excellent line, Heather!
Jump to new posts Re: Dynamic level sampling for digital pianos by dewster @ 02/26/15 10:27 AM

Originally Posted By Pete14Wouldn't it be better to simply sample the actual changes in timbre instead of processing the heck out of four layers? All things being equal, absolutely! This would give lots of variation for each key, and would as you sa
Originally Posted By PhJ. Fatar keyboard and other actions According to this page, the Viscount does have the TP40 wood He lost me when he said: "I have always liked Fatar actions..."
Jump to new posts Re: Dynamic level sampling for digital pianos by MossySF @ 02/26/15 10:21 AM

Originally Posted By Pete14Wouldn't it be better to simply sample the actual changes in timbre instead of processing the heck out of four layers? Some DPs do sample more than 4 layers. Software pianos often do 10+ samples. Modelled pianos of cour
Jump to new posts Re: Dynamic level sampling for digital pianos by johnlewisgrant @ 02/26/15 10:19 AM

In principle, the more "LAYERS" the better. IN PRACTICE, there's more to it. My current "GOTO" piano sample--great for practising in SILENCE (with earphones)--is the KAWAI ES 100. (The on-board speakers are unusable.) I hav
Jump to new posts Re: Dynamic level sampling for digital pianos by dire tonic @ 02/26/15 10:17 AM

The best of the libraries pull it off by virtue of extra care (and maybe a dash of luck) but I do suspect the difficulties mount at transitions with ever more layers - more so when respecting each of the layers' sonic integrity (no cross-fading). Co
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: This made me laugh... by Swarth @ 02/26/15 10:15 AM

I don't know, every time I open up a music book and start playing plenty of Clams are shucked.
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Collapse wrist by johan d @ 02/26/15 10:12 AM

http://www.pianomap.com/injuries/conclusion.html The second principle is to avoid dropping the wrist... How can i practise to relax my shoulder and arm and everything else in my hands and fingers, and let the weigth of my arm not letting my wrist co
Jump to new posts Re: Dynamic level sampling for digital pianos by toddy @ 02/26/15 10:10 AM

Originally Posted By Pete14Wouldn't it be better to simply sample the actual changes in timbre instead of processing the heck out of four layers? All the time spent processing these mini samples costs money; it would be better to allocate some of t
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Baldwin Model (?) questions by kent47 @ 02/26/15 10:10 AM

John, Unfortunately, in some respects, it is on its belly at this point. There was really no safe way to trailer it 300 miles on its side. I looked it over a bit more closely last night and note that all of the strings are present albeit tarnished.
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What determines a song's time signature? by Farmerjones @ 02/26/15 10:09 AM

Originally Posted By tony890726There all kinds of songs that used many many time signatures. For example, one uses a 4/4 time, 2/2 time and so forth. I like to know how and what makes that song the time signature it is? For example if I want to write
Jump to new posts Re: Dynamic level sampling for digital pianos by MacMacMac @ 02/26/15 10:07 AM

Amply demonstrated? How? I have pianos with 6, 8, and 10 levels, and I haven't noticed any lumpiness.
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Help Please... Mazurka?? by Jytte @ 02/26/15 10:05 AM

Just seen the cake HAPPY BIRTHDAY Anita !
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Help Please... Mazurka?? by Jytte @ 02/26/15 10:04 AM

I have listened to an awful lot of mazurkas during this time, and I'd have to say they don't strike me as all that similar. This one, with the um-pa-pa in the background has more of a waltz feel really. But who knows what it's intended to be original
Fatar keyboard and other actions According to this page, the Viscount does have the TP40 wood
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
Jump to new posts How many hours does it take to improve grand repetition? by pinkfloydhomer @ 02/26/15 10:02 AM

Hi there, I was at my local dealer's store today to try two new grands: Ritmüller GH148R and Ritmüller R9. I liked both of them, but they were very different in tone and touch. The R9 was much, much brighter. The GH148R rather mellow in a ver
Jump to new posts Re: Chopin Mazurka Op 50 # 3 by Cinnamonbear @ 02/26/15 10:00 AM

You may already know all of this, but here is a link to short paper, "Polish Folk Music and Chopin's Mazurkas" by Jan Gorbaty. At three and a half pages, it is a pretty quick read. Our PW friend Carey found this one when we were preparing
Pianist Corner
On a Kawai, no less! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3GVzOR0DO0 I opened up a Kawai upright at the school that I teach at, and I was blown away by the meticulous quality of the action inside. Stunning really. I will have to take another, more ca
Jump to new posts Re: Dynamic level sampling for digital pianos by dire tonic @ 02/26/15 09:49 AM

Originally Posted By anotherscottAgain, though, having more sampled velocity layers, by itself, does not even assure a better sounding/playing instrument overall. It is only one factor. - as is amply demonstrated by the sample library market, awash
Page 77 of 116 < 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 115 116 >
What's Hot!!
The February 2015 Issue of our Free Piano News Newsletter is out now! FREE Piano Newsletter
--------------------
The best thing I've learned on Piano World....
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
(ad) Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Online Lessons
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is this a good way to teach theory?
by PamDD
53 minutes 28 seconds ago
things to look into a new teacher
by Jvmvidela
Today at 09:14 PM
String Covers and Volume reduction
by chickenlump
Today at 08:28 PM
What piano chords are these?
by MJB97
Today at 08:09 PM
Bach English Suites by András Schiff
by pianoman9
Today at 06:38 PM
Forum Stats
78,377 Registered Members
43 Forums
162,008 Topics
2,378,935 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission