Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Spectral Analysis of Musical Sounds
Spectral Analysis of Musical Sounds with Emphasis on the Piano
Learn More

or
Buy This Book on Amazon.com
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Pianoteq
Who's Online
104 registered (accordeur, albumblatter, Almaviva, Akuden, 32 invisible), 1511 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Tuners who can't hear the top couple of notes. by Bellyman @ 01/20/15 08:25 PM

I can usually come pretty close myself but wouldn't call my ability anywhere close to "perfect pitch". I wouldn't even try to tune a piano using my "best guess" for a reference without there being a really good reason to do so.
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Truecrypt's take on Chopin's Barcarolle by Damon @ 01/20/15 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda KingI love how it seems people get more fussy about how Chopin should be played than any other composer, including Bach and Beethoven. And that's not just people here, I've noticed that in general it seems. As lon
Piano Forum
Originally Posted By: Colin DunnOh, and I think a $32K-$40K budget is pretty generous, and could buy a new or near-new grand piano that doesn't require major work. I don't know anybody who has spent that sum on a piano, so getting a real nice one sho
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Cant decide: acoustic or digital by Gemgem @ 01/20/15 08:22 PM

Thank you all for the comments! I get a sense that acoustic is the way to go. I will keep my dp for sure. I certainly agree with Bennevis, don't want to develop bad habits or wrong techniques if I can help it. Cheers!
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Truecrypt's take on Chopin's Barcarolle by Orange Soda King @ 01/20/15 08:15 PM

I love how it seems people get more fussy about how Chopin should be played than any other composer, including Bach and Beethoven. And that's not just people here, I've noticed that in general it seems. EDIT: I'm not an expert on Chopin, by any mean
Pianist Corner
If you are with me, then I will go gladly unto [my] death and to my rest. Ah, what a pleasant end for me, if your dear hands be the last I see, closing shut my faithful eyes to rest! That is a translation which is really more appropriate for a funer
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Dealers in metro DC area. by berlitzpiano @ 01/20/15 08:13 PM

Well, after much research, self-reflection and debate, I decided to fly out to check out the Bluthner 6. Just in the off chance that I don't like that piano, I would like to check out some dealers so I can try different pianos. Any recommendations? I
Composer's Lounge
Jump to new posts Re: Waltz in C by pianolearnerstride @ 01/20/15 08:09 PM

I really enjoyed that! I like looking at the score with the recording even if it isn't a great recording.
Jump to new posts Re: Tuners who can't hear the top couple of notes. by OperaTenor @ 01/20/15 08:07 PM

Using a piano as a reference is absolute proof there is no thing such as "perfect" pitch. I say this as a professional opera singer.
Originally Posted By: David JensonI googled "U7" and got nothing usable. I then googled Yamaha U7, and got a motorcycle. Huh? What is a U7? Wellllll.... If you google "Yamaha U7 piano", you'll get: I guess there were a lot o
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts "Bist Du Bei MIr" - Bach - suitable for funeral? by riley80 @ 01/20/15 08:02 PM

I have always thought of it as a wedding piece, but a certain soprano wants me to accompany her on this for an imminent funeral ( terminal case.... ) If it's widely thought of as a wedding number, I'd like to know. Thanks. Any other funeral sugges
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
Jump to new posts Re: Digitals that rival grands? by pspicer @ 01/20/15 08:01 PM

Chewy, interesting that your best results were obtained on one modeled piano and one sampled piano. Indicates that for your test, the method of emulation might not be the determining factor.
Originally Posted By: David Jenson Perfect pitch, as it would happen, was once described by the poster just above you in this thread (BDB) as "Tossing an accordion into a dumpster, and hitting a tuba." The general consensus is that it's pre
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Will using the short stick warp the top by PianoWorksATL @ 01/20/15 07:52 PM

Warping can and does happen. A closed lid has the least stress, on the full stick, some stress, but the most stress occurs when a lid is on the low stick. Simple physics. I recommend full open without much concern for most pianos. If always left
I googled "U7" and got nothing usable. I then googled Yamaha U7, and got a motorcycle. Huh? What is a U7?
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts -“The Lullaby of the Bells”. by piano_primo_1 @ 01/20/15 07:40 PM

This is the song from the score of the 1943 movie version “The Phantom of the Opera”. -“The Lullaby of the Bells”. Phantom of the Opera This musical-opera is coming to Pittsburgh, and the 1943 version was on a DVD in my local library. I rente
Jump to new posts Re: "Break a Leg'... by Bellyman @ 01/20/15 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: RetsacnalSorry to hear that you broke your leg. Hope it mends well, and quickly. Thanks!
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: What is your favorite piano concerto? by Frankni @ 01/20/15 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: WellTemperedPizzaMozart's 25th. I would propose Mozart's 24th, KV491. By some considered as Mozart's most accomplished piece, and it was also Beethoven's favourite concerto.
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: The Superfluous One Month to Recital Thread by Whizbang @ 01/20/15 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: dpawsI've been polishing Joplin "Wall Street Rag" and Bach Invention #4 Wow. Looking forward to hearing "Wall Street Rag"! It's an unusual piece, and Joplin is credited as the first composer to structure
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: The Superfluous One Month to Recital Thread by Whizbang @ 01/20/15 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: casinitalyIt isn't too hard. If you PM me with the links to all the pics you need I can make you a single image. I was eyeballing the Grieg icon when trying to guess how to scale the Joplin icon and I think I missed by a pixel
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Truecrypt's take on Chopin's Barcarolle by WellTemperedPizza @ 01/20/15 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: bennevisOriginally Posted By: VidI didn't know there was a definitive way that Chopin should be played? (am I the only one that thinks such an idea is ridiculous?) To misquote Wanda Landowska (who probably played Chopin on the
Jump to new posts Re: "Break a Leg'... by Retsacnal @ 01/20/15 07:00 PM

Sorry to hear that you broke your leg. Hope it mends well, and quickly.
Pianist Corner - Non Classical
Jump to new posts Re: What was the first tune/song/piece you learned to play by Little_Blue_Engine @ 01/20/15 07:00 PM

I'll just add that if you make a point of playing songs that include piano but aren't written by someone who plays piano as their main instrument things might be easier. I learned two out of three Beatles songs I attempted with no problems. McCartne
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
Jump to new posts Re: Yamaha CP4 "Super-Sound-Pack" by David Farley @ 01/20/15 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Colin DunnI don't have a CP4 but downloaded the file in case I ever have one (link is shown in the YouTube video). It's only 15.6KB in size, so it must be only performance data that manipulates the sounds already built in to the
Forum Members Parties, Tours, Cruises, & Meetings
Jump to new posts Re: Time for another Denver area piano group! by Colin Dunn @ 01/20/15 06:49 PM

Not much response on the Meetup group yet but think it will likely be the 21st! Stay tuned... Also - Randy had a shoulder injury that has put him out of commission for a few months - both tuning and playing pianos! So he will likely skip this meet
Page 85 of 115 < 1 2 ... 83 84 85 86 87 ... 114 115 >
What's Hot!!
2015 NAMM Show - Will You Be There?
Kathy and I would like to meet you
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
[As off topic as possible] Greek Elections
by Nikolas
48 minutes 34 seconds ago
Refinish an Ancient Ornate Steinway or Not?
by hoodun
Today at 10:27 PM
Kimball Grand - made in Chicago
by hoodun
Today at 09:48 PM
What are the pros for strip muting?
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Today at 07:27 PM
Schirmer Piano Company
by Steve617
Today at 06:26 PM
Forum Stats
77836 Members
42 Forums
160922 Topics
2364058 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission