Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Do pianists care? by phantomFive @ 08/25/14 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: RealPlayerKreisler is right about the vast majority of population having poorly kept instruments. However, here on PW we have a lot of serious students and professionals, so I think it's safe to assume our instruments are in at
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Damp chaser question. by Mta88 @ 08/25/14 04:51 PM

Also, would it be wise to keep the lid of my piano closed when playing or am I just being paranoid now.. Sounds so much better when it's open.
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Do pianists care? by RealPlayer @ 08/25/14 04:49 PM

Kreisler is right about the vast majority of population having poorly kept instruments. However, here on PW we have a lot of serious students and professionals, so I think it's safe to assume our instruments are in at least decent shape, and conside
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Damp chaser question. by Mta88 @ 08/25/14 04:48 PM

Hi Guys. So the piano technician recently installed a damp chaser rod at the base of my kayserburg uh132 piano. The rod alone. Now the climate locally is very humid, just googled it and as of 4pm today humidity levels are at 84% And today is
Piano Forum
Originally Posted By: eugene_bbOriginally Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPTSome piano rebuilders who specialize in Steinways have spent considerable time and effort to learn what goes into making them a Steinway piano. Some rebuilders know more about past
Piano Forum
Originally Posted By: Steve JacksonOriginally Posted By: GrandmanOriginally Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPTSome piano rebuilders who specialize in Steinways have spent considerable time and effort to learn what goes into making them a Steinway piano. Som
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: about soft pedal and sostenuto pedal by bennevis @ 08/25/14 04:39 PM

Back to the OP's question - I think that, unlike with fingering (unless you're Krystian Zimerman, who have a few different fingerings to choose from for very piece he plays, to suit the venue ), a pianist should be quite flexible with his pedal us
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Piano in a very unexpected place! by WurliFan @ 08/25/14 04:36 PM

I traveled to Pittsburgh over the weekend to go to a record shop located in Squirrel Hill. I spent a good hour in the store picking out lots of good oldies, in particular looking for Cherry Pie by Marvin And Johnny (Which they didn't have...well, the
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Do pianists care? by Kreisler @ 08/25/14 04:36 PM

I think Hakki brings up a great point. When you get to the point of discussing temperament and the details of tone and touch, you're talking mostly about high-end instruments in well-funded situations. The vast majority of the population is working
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Come to Copenhagen! by pinkfloydhomer @ 08/25/14 04:32 PM

I could hire a Copenhagen tech, but it is important to me that (s)he is passionate about doing as precise and good a job as possible, even if the piano is not great. I have an idea that many techs would just coarsely regulate it to within some standa
Digital Pianos - Synths & Keyboards
Originally Posted By: JR3 . . . I've been checking out the Casio PX-5S and the Casio PX-350 after the comments here. It looks like it may be the right choice for us. Does anyone have an idea of how this new keyboard compares to a five+ year old R
Piano Forum
Originally Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPTSome piano rebuilders who specialize in Steinways have spent considerable time and effort to learn what goes into making them a Steinway piano. Some rebuilders know more about past design elements than most of th
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Large let-off or bubbling by pinkfloydhomer @ 08/25/14 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Ed McMorrow, RPTThe advice on weakening damper spring strength should help. Have you tried it? Yes, I did this last year in fact. Not so much to avoid bubbling but because the damper springs were far too strong making the touc
Composer's Lounge
Jump to new posts My attempt at Kikujiro Soundtrack by Vanze42 @ 08/25/14 04:18 PM

As a film lover, I thought I'd try writing my own piece over one of my all-time favorite films: Kikujiro. For those of you who don't know the film, the story is about an aging street thug and a young kid who find themselves in an unlikely friendship
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: Masterclass etiquette doubt by Michael Sayers @ 08/25/14 04:17 PM

Something like this should do the trick.
Guitar Center has a used PX-350 in Pasadena -- $550. That's going to be hard to beat. You can take a look through: guitarcenter.com/usedgear and see if you can do better. There's a P155 also, and probably more that would suit you -- lots of dept
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Moonlight Sonata by Morodiene @ 08/25/14 04:16 PM

Beethoven on drugs, indeed. Not going to speculate on which ones.
Jump to new posts Re: RECURRING DEFECT IN KAWAI DIGITAL PIANOS (review) by TrumpetMan @ 08/25/14 04:15 PM

Hi Digital Piano, I own a Kawai CA63, and can confirm that I have just tested this note and can hear a slightly louder 'woody' sound in the left channel (bass end of the piano) on the Concert Grand sound. You need to bear in mind that this sound ha
Piano Teachers Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Interviewing for a piano teaching job by jdw @ 08/25/14 04:14 PM

I would add too, some of the good questions above that you'll want the answers to (like about non-competition clauses and other nitty-gritty stuff) may be better for *after* you've been offered the job.
Adult Beginners Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Ok now what do I do? by Morodiene @ 08/25/14 04:13 PM

With metronome markings, I always take them with a grain of salt. You can use them as a gauge to get an idea of what the composer wanted (assuming metronomes were around then and the composer indicated the marking and not the editor - and in this cas
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: about soft pedal and sostenuto pedal by bennevis @ 08/25/14 04:04 PM

Once again, so we all know what we're talking about, the three pedals on most modern grands are, from L to R: The una corda ('soft' pedal); the sostenuto; the sustaining pedal (damper pedal). That's the common usage in English. Including American-E
Jump to new posts Re: New Yamaha CLP 500 Series Release May 2014 by FASAV @ 08/25/14 04:02 PM

Hello I have tried the clp990 and the clp585. I prefer the clp 585.l am not sure than thé action of 990 is better than 585,even or the clp990 has à real wooden keyboard .
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: about soft pedal and sostenuto pedal by lotsofquestions @ 08/25/14 03:55 PM

Some good descriptions have been provided so far. In my opinion the authoritative source is http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Piano-Pedaling-Classic/dp/048642782X .
Pianist Corner
Jump to new posts Re: about soft pedal and sostenuto pedal by wouter79 @ 08/25/14 03:46 PM

Both pedals are to change the color of the sound. The unacorda pedal is to make a muffled, choked sound. But it seems pretty inconsistent, on another piano it sounds very different usually. I have rarely seen or heard places where this is useful, a
Piano Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Ivory v. Plastic Questions by JohnSprung @ 08/25/14 03:44 PM

My congressman (Brad Sherman, D-CA, 30th District) had a town hall yesterday, and I got to ask a question about ivory and the criminalization of musical instruments. He said it was "Music to my ears" and asked for a staff follow up. Here'
Page 90 of 115 < 1 2 ... 88 89 90 91 92 ... 114 115 >
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
67 registered (ando, allakart, Badinage, 26 invisible), 845 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76011 Members
42 Forums
157173 Topics
2308418 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bosendorfer 275
by PhilipInChina
Today at 03:07 AM
EDTA solution to clean pedals, handles, etc
by Olek
Today at 01:34 AM
AMusA exam questions
by Badinage
Today at 01:24 AM
ES7 - Gig Bag or Hard Case
by gbitw
Yesterday at 11:07 PM
special gloves to reinforce good hand position
by Will1
Yesterday at 09:10 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission