Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1000417 - 08/15/08 09:50 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Eighty8 Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH
Thanks to all that made the recital possible. I just started listening today at lunch, will have more comments later as I enjoy them.

01. Mark... - Prelude in D minor[/b] Consistent left hand and meditative.

02. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Sonata No. 14 'Moonlight' in C# minor, Op. 27 No. 2: Adagio
Sostenuto[/b] Got to love Ludwig. I have only played the easy version and I usually rush the tempo. You have a good feel for the adagio.

03. Monica K. - Nuvole Bianche[/b] I sense that you have a good concept of what you want to express with this peice and you have the command / skill to deliver. It is easy to imagine the clouds while you play.

04. Lisztener - Whistling Away the Dark[/b] I am a big fan of Mancini / Mercer but this in new to me. Nice job. I couldn't tell you were improvising, all the notes seemed as though they belonged. Which is a good thing.

05. LisztAddict - Prelude Op 28 No 13[/b] Nice tone, for some reason I liked the 2nd half bettter than the first.

06. Laura D - Tarantella[/b] A fast one, a real challenge to be sure. The runs at the end were very well played.

07. Mr Super-hunky - Imaginations[/b] Congratulations, It takes a lot of talent and hard work to create an original and to put it all together. Listening with headphones, on my lunch break, I had to take off the headphones to make sure they were on right, seemed like the pan was switched at one point [ low notes on right and higher notes on left ].

08. Riddler (Ed) - I Remember Clifford[/b] Very nice, with some unexpected changes. Your rendition has inspired me to learn this piece.

09. John Frank - Etude, Op.10, No.3 (Theme)[/b] Liked your dynamics and rubato.

10. True Beginner - Les Fleurs Sauvages ( Wild Flowers )[/b] Amazing playing after only 6 months.

11. laValse - Prelude Op 40 #3[/b] Short and sweet.

12. Peyton - A House at the End of the World[/b] Painting, composing, performing, lyrics... that's quite a lot of talent you have.

13. Ted Stanion - La fille aux cheveux de lin[/b] After hearing recital 10 [Notturno, Op. 54, No. 4] I expected a lot and I wasn't disappointed. This is another outstanding job.

14. b528nf7 - Bill Moore - Piano Bar Theme[/b] Very entertaining. Thanks

15. Schubertian - J S Bach - Prelude & Fugue #15 in G Major; WTC II[/b] I know this isn't a competition, but playing this well after only a year and a half makes me feel like I should be practicing more.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1000418 - 08/15/08 10:05 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
epf - thanks for the tip on Winifred Atwell! I didn't know her, but now I'll keep my eye out when scrounging through the lp's at the thrift stores. I listened to a youtube performance - wow! I can see that there's some resemblance in the ways we interpret George (altho not in the speed!). Thanks for the thoughts.

Cathy

#1000419 - 08/15/08 11:09 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Okay, now to some comments. I'm going to go sort of thematically this time.

First - music by pianists from whom I'd like a whole album.

Manndrew - Crazy (Willie Nelson) definitely my genre of music, and this was super. It might even be nice to have a whole album of just this song - you, Willie, Patsy,

DeepElem (aka Buck) - Cinema Paradiso (Ennio Morricone) - I never tire of your music, and your repertoire is right up my alley. I'm so glad you played in this recital. Great piece.

TX-Dennis (that Turner guy) - In The Still of the Night (Cole Porter) - ditto what I said for Buck. Your styling is everything I'd like to be able to play. The laid back, the cool -

rocky - Evacuee (Music by Enya & Nicky Ryan) - I don't know how you do it. It's magic, how beautiful everything you play is. Your touch and interpretation are exquisite.

Second - music that makes me laugh, either in delight or otherwise

b528nf7 - Bill Moore - Piano Bar Theme (Henson/Pottle) - what, you didn't expect to be here?!? The lyrics were perfect, and I love the ease with which you play. I generally check out your videos when you post them, and enjoy them a lot.

Laura D - Tarantella (Albert Pieczonka) - this is a delight. I could never play it, but I love it.

rustyfingers - Root Beer Rag (Billy Joel) - rags always make me laugh, but the bass on this one rumbles! I had downloaded the sheet music, but it was obvious to me I couldn't play it. Thanks for letting me hear it - great job.

mlr1899 - Sensation (Joseph Lamb) - Yes, Yes, Yes! Great ragtime feel, great tempo, bounce, accents, the works! More, more!

Gary001 - Theme in F Major (Unknown - BMW Anh. 131) - this might seem misplaced, except - for one brief shining moment this was my recital piece \:D When the magic codes were mixed and duplicated this was the piece I got when I entered my code. It's the first piece in the copy of Bach's Anna's Notebook that I have from when I was a teenager. It's beautiful, and you played it beautifully.

bluekeys - Mariage D'amour (Senneville and Toussaint) - lovely crap. I like your blog, too

Third - other non-classical, stylings I admire and playing I liked a lot

ddh - daniel - Londonderry Air (Traditional Irish) - a St. Pat's doesn't go by that our band doesn't sing this - if that makes sense. We pass out lyric sheets around the bar, and our whistle player, whose mother owns the world's biggest collection of sheet music for this particular song, leads the way. Well done.

Rosanna - Shanghai Tan (Koo Ga Fei)- this beautiful. I admire you no end for sticking with pianomagic, and developing a talent you thought you didn't have. But everything I've heard you play by ear (and heart) is wonderful. This was so evocative -

IPIBAHN - Sandy - Jazz Hymn (Christopher Norton) - very nicely done.

Seaside_Lee - How Deep Is Your Love (The Bee Gees?) - so nice to have you in this recital. I like the transition in tempo from contemplative to sort of upbeat - nice change of mood. And you are a master of mood -

manhzeit - Diminished (myself) - lovely, soothing. Those fancy schmancy pianos must be a kick to play

Lisztener - Whistling Away the Dark (Mercer-Mancini) - the slides were well chosen for this piece, and you did a really nice job of improvising. Beautiful.

Riddler (Ed) - I Remember Clifford (Benny Golson) - Oh, wonderful. Nice movement through the piece.

Peyton - A House at the End of the World (Peyton Higgison) - style is your middle name. Actually, I should probably add you to the "I want an album" folks

Serge88 - The Long and Winding Road (Lennon/McCartney) - I, too, enjoyed the video. But how do you keep your pedal from migrating?!? I get so frustrated This was well done.

angelof - "Here Comes the Sun" (George Harrison) - good start for your Beatles review! I liked a lot.

Eighty8 - Letter From Home (Pat Metheny) - I liked this a lot - very laid back. Nice touch.

epf - Music of the the Night (Andrew Lloyd Webber) - yes, yes, yes. well done.

Copper - Stardust (Hoagy Carmichael) - saved the best for last. Best tune, best composer, wonderfully played. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Fourth - you know I like dance music

Fillanzea (Emily) - Sunburst Waltz - Great! I love the confidence with which you play, and the energy here was just right.

Mike White - Scherzino Mexicano (Manuel Ponce) - wow! this was great! It has just the right flavor!

Hisalone (Joel) - Hungarian Dance No. 5 (Johannes Brahms) - yes. I could see the dancers - round-brimmed black hats, white pants with black edging, tall black boots - and hear the "strutting" style of Hungarian dancers. Really well played.

Whew! going to take a break here, and will do more later -

Folks coming in my door at work loved you all.

Cathy

#1000420 - 08/15/08 11:32 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Hisalone Offline

Loc: Omaha, NE
11. laValse - Prelude Op 40 #3[/b] (to do)
Nice and mellow. Short yet the playing was quite captivating.

12. Peyton - A House at the End of the World[/b] (to do)
Your playing never ceases to amaze me, and then you throw the singing in there to accompany your own composition. Thank you for sharing your talent with us.

13. Ted Stanion - La fille aux cheveux de lin[/b] (to do)
Very calming composition and you really captured that in your performance. Excellent.

14. b528nf7 - Bill Moore - Piano Bar Theme[/b] (to do)
You wrote a piece for the monthly piano bar performers? That's pretty thoughtful. Fun song. I think this should kick off the piano bar every month. Anybody else with that vote?

15. Schubertian - J S Bach - Prelude & Fugue #15 in G Major; WTC II[/b] (to do)
I think Bach is great and I always like hearing a well performed piece of his. This certainly surpassed my expectations for someone at it for only a year and a half. Good job.

16. Jinbo - Moment Musicaux No. 3 in F Minor[/b] (to do)
Nicely played with good use of the different nuances presented. Enjoyable to listen to.

17. dannylux/Mel - Kalinnikov Moderato in e flat minor[/b] (to do)
Excellent selection and very well done. You really kept it quite musical. I could see how a piece like this could be played without the musicality you have captured. Tanks for submitting. I really enjoyed your performance.

18. bluekeys - Mariage D'amour[/b] (to do)
For being forced to play it you do an excellent job. \:D Really, though, you had to enjoy it yourself to pull it off the way you did. Beautifully played.

19. Casyopea - Prelude in C Major BWV 846 (from Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I)[/b] (to do)
Another Bach. Also excellent performance. Great tempo throughout. Keep them coming.

20. rustyfingers - Root Beer Rag[/b] (to do)
Now you know I can't resist those rags. A Billy Joel at that. Nice uplifting rendition. I may just have to learn this one myself.

More to come
Psa 33:1-3 ¶ Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright. Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings. Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Ya think God would permit 88 strings?

Hisalone

#1000421 - 08/15/08 11:37 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
31 Orez Eno Two Timing - Lichner[/b]
You are progressing quickly. That course must be pretty decent for you to be playing this well after only 9 months. Nice piece; Great job!

32 Undone (Jim) Night Song - Unknown[/b]Yes, Jim, I agree. Your version sounds like a nocturne should. Very nice job. Sheesh - 7.5 months - you guys are making me feel inadequate.

33 AnthonyB I due fiumi - Einaudi[/b]
Another very talented short timer. Wonderful job. I am left speechless by such playing after only a few months.

34 Strat Wind Crest - Eguchi/Matsueda[/b]
See, you have an excuse for playing this well in a very short time. You were already a musician before you took up piano. I don't know this piece, but it is quite beautiful. I can understand why it would inspire you to learn piano. It's a very dramatic and inspiring piece. Wonderful job! I cannot imagine it being played any better.

35 jotur - Cathy Turner (This is Not Your Mother's) Black and White Rag - Botsford[/b]
I cannot imagine why you would be disappointed with this performance, Cathy. I have heard this piece played a bit faster, but your tempo is probably more authentic. It sounds wonderful.

36 Eighty8 Letter From Home - Metheny[/b]
There is not much to say about this piece except this: Great job! It's a beautiful piece played with emotion and a great touch.

37 Music of the Night - Webber[/b]
Is it Webber or Lloyd-Webber? I've seen it written both ways. Whichever, it's a beautiful piece played tremendously well. Very nice job, Ed.

38 Copper Stardust - Carmichael[/b]
This seems like such a simple song, but it is oh so difficult to play it with the correct expression. I have always been disappointed with versions that I have played. I think you got it just about right. Nice job!

39 Pevawi/Peter Fur Elise - Beethoven[/b]
I have loved this piece since the first time I heard it as a child as played by Schroeder on the Peanuts television special. Hey, it may not be perfect, but what is? I enjoyed listening. I like the sound of your K6, too. Great job!

40 gerg aka Greg Nocturne Op. 37 No. 2 - Chopin[/b]
Yes, this is a fabulous nocturne. You played it with great feeling. You really do not sound "out of practice." Thank you for your contribution. I enjoyed listening and shall undoubtedly do so again.

41 Fillanzea (Emily) Sunburst Waltz[/b]
Wow, only 38 seconds. Very nice little piece, Emily. You nailed it.

42 RobM Suteki Da Ne - Uematsu[/b]
Sorry you are having trouble with Audacity. ARe you using the stable version or a newer beta version? I have found that the beta versions will crash pretty regularly, so I have reverted to the slightly older stable version. I don't think you have anything to be unhappy with in this recording. You played it with feeling and a nice touch. Well done! By the way, what is a pasty? I must confess an ignorance of that particular food item. Sorry, too many questions.

43 tekkie Opus #18 - O'Halloran[/b]
I have not heard this before. It is quite a lovely piece, and you have played it well. Excellent job!

44 PianoN00b (Yang) Midnight Rhapsody - Bober[/b]
You chose a beautiful piece that has a special meaning for you. I can hear your connection with this music. Great job, Yang! It was beautiful.

45 joangolfing Hymn To Joy - Beethoven[/b]
That is an unusual arrangement of this piece. I did enjoy listening. Thanks for sharing this very different version of a very familiar piece. By the way, this arrangement seems to become more pleasing the more one listens to it. At first I thought it was rather irritating. I know it was difficult to bring out the theme among all the accompaniment, but you have managed to do so.

46 Paul Cast Sonatina Op.36 No.1 Allegro, Andante, Vivace - Clementi[/b]
Paul, that was pretty nice. I do think the third mov't is meant to be a bit faster, but I doubt I could manage anything much faster than you have. Nice job!

47 mahlzeit Diminished - mahlzeti[/b]
Interesting little composition. It is quite enjoyable. Of course, you played well. Is it just the recording quality, or was the piano badly out of tune? Some of the unisons sound a bit funky to me. Wonderful job, as always.

48 Seaside_Lee How Deep Is Your Love - The BeeGees and/or Ronald Selle[/b]
BeeGees notwithstanding, this is a pretty song. I enjoyed suffering through your six minutes of fooling around.

49 TX-Dennis Some Huge Mess - sorry, Mr. Porter, sir[/b]
Well, whatever. Funny, I don't hear any thunder, rain, or wind int he background. I recorded this during an epic thunderstorm with driving rain, a bit of hail, and 60+ mph winds. The power even went out twice while I was recording. Luckily, the Zoom was operating on battery power. I have never even taken the AC adapter from the box. \:D

50 Piano*Dad La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin - DeBussy[/b]
You might want to change some things, but I would be more than happy to play it that well. Nice dynamics and touch, and , oh my, what a beautiful instrument.

More tomorrow. I am quite tired after a 12 hour plus day at work today. Good night all.

flickr

#1000422 - 08/15/08 11:45 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Texas
 Quote:
Originally posted by TX-Dennis:
37 Music of the Night - Webber[/b]
Is it Webber or Lloyd-Webber? I've seen it written both ways. Whichever, it's a beautiful piece played tremendously well. Very nice job, Ed.[/b]
According to his official web site it's "Andrew Lloyd Webber" -- apparently Lloyd is a common name used in the family since it is shared by his father and brother. References to his father (an organist and son of a plumber) use "Lloyd Webber" as the last name, but without a hyphen.

Thanks for your comments on my playing!

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1000423 - 08/16/08 12:53 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Here’s more:

Fifth review theme – composers I know nothing about

True Beginner – Les Fleurs Sauvages (Wild Flowers) (Paul De Sennevill & Olivier Toussaint) – lovely interpretation.

laValse – Prelude Op 40 #3 (Liadov) – This was quite nice! Very pretty, and delicately played.

dannylux/Mel – Kalinnikov Moderato in e flat minor (Vasliy Kalinnikov) – hm. Maybe an album, from you, too. Your selections are always primo, and well-played. Thanks.

Euan MMorrison – Piano Ballet (Eluvium) – actually, I like it that we get a lot of very soothing pieces in the recitals, because work has been a pain lately (you know, now that we’ve cleaned out the swamp - ) . This is lovely.

Orez Eno – Two Timing, Op. 134 No. 6 (Heinrich Lichner) – great, jaunty piece! And played with very nice flare.

tekkie – Opus #18 (Dustin O’Halloran) – I like the way you make this piece move/flow.

PianoN00b (Yang) – Midnight Rhapsody (Melody Bober) – it’s been so much fun watching/hearing your progress. This is very well done, and nice to listen to.

Greywullf – No. 3 Canzone Amorosa (Ethelbert Nevin) – I like the changes of pace you put in here – the tempos, dynamics, dramatic pauses, etc. Very well done.

#1000424 - 08/16/08 01:59 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Next to last group:

Sixth – composers I’ve heard of, or may have heard the piece, which is not to say I actually know enough to comment beyond “wow” or “well played”

Mark… - Prelude in D minor (Muzio Clementi) – this is excellent. Didn’t you say once you had a “make it or break it” deadline with piano? I think you’ve made it.

Mateusz ‘Mati’ Papiernik – Sonata N. 14 ‘Moonlight’ in C# minor, Op. 27 No.2: Adagio Sostenuto (Ludwig van Beethoven) – How you folks can play major pieces like this is a mystery to me. I’m pretty much stuck with 32 bars, or at least 16 bar themes. Beautiful.

LisztAddict – Prelude Op 28 No 13 (Chopin) – ok, I’ve heard of Chopin  But beyond that my ignorance is vast. This was nice listening, tho. I like the left hand.

John Frank – Etude, Op.10, No.3 (Theme) (Frederic Chopin (adapted by Palmer, Manus & Lethco)) – dynamics, or the lack thereof, are my downfall. You do them well, tho. And I liked your ending.

Ted Stanion – La fille aux cheveux de lin (Claude Debussy) – another person who does interpretation better than I do. Very nice. My 7-year-old niece loves tide pools.

Schubertian – Prelude & Fugue #15 in G Major ; WTC II (J S Bach) – well, I *do* like Bach, and this piece only confirms my taste. How *do* you get the left hand to work?!? Well done.

Jinbo – Moment Musicaux No. 3 in F minor (Franz Schubert) – Hm. I was looking forward to this, but it wouldn’t play on my computer  - phone home, ET!

Casyopea – Prelude in C Major BWV 846 (from Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1) (Johann Sebastian Bach) – very nicely played – I assume the left and right hands trade parts? (told you I’m ignorant) If so, you did a great job with the transitions.

DragonPianoPlayer – The Mechanical Doll (Dmitri Shostakovich) – I say this every recital, but I love your selections. And, of course, your playing of them. I liked this very much.

Euphonatrix – Sonatina in F, WoO, Anh.5, No. 2 (Ludwig van Beethoven) – well-played. I have a Sony mini-recorder, too, and have had trouble with clipping when I use it. Do you turn off the auto gain?

AdagioM (Michele) – Adagio from Sonata No. 48, Hob. XVI/35 (Franz Joseph Haydn) – lovely piece. I like Haydn, too. The whole 1600-1700 is full of stuff I like.

Undone (Jim) – Night Song (Unknown) – another piece I played when I was a teen, but never made music of. You did a great job of interpreting it.

Pevawi/Peter – Fur Elise (Ludwig van Beethoven) – I don’t get tired of this. Lovely.

gerg aka Greg – Nocturne Op. 37 No. 2 (Frederic Chopin) – from a “critical” standpoint I suppose my opinion is useless, but your playing seems virtuosic to me. Wow.

joangolfing – Hymn to Joy (Beethoven, Piano arr. By Jeanne Cotter) – I’m glad you posted this. It’s always nice to hear what seems to me to be kind of experimental pieces.

Paul Cast – Sonantina Op. 36 No. 1 Allegro, Andente, Vivace (Muzio Clementi) – oh, how cheery and charming! And perfect tempos for these! Thanks.

Piano*Dad – La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin (Claude Debussy) – what very little I’ve tried to play of Debussy I’ve made no sense of. So I admire those of you who do. How nice to hear you in the recital again.

GregF – Pastorale Op. 100, No. 3 (Johann Burgmuller) – another one I couldn’t get to play. What *is* going on?

Mistaya (Caroline) – Notturno op. 54 no. 4 (Edvard Grieg) – I love your pianissimos. This had a Shakespearean Midsummer Night’s Dream quality to it – well done.

Kawai, HI – Raindrop Prelude (Chopin – Schaum) – well, I’ve heard this in the ABF enough to be able to recognize it, so it can’t be *that* simplified. I could have put this in the “pieces that make me laugh” except that it was the “embarrassing” comment that made me laugh. The piece was *not* laughable – I enjoyed it.

YD (Yuri) – Mozart, Sonata K545, Andante (Mozart) – another one of my favorite composers, and another piece even I can recognize. Wonderful music, Yuri, and I like your interpretation.

Ozor Mox – Waltz in D flat major (Petit Chien/Minute Waltz) (Chopin) – for sure, if this was played in one minute it would no longer be waltzable. But you know me, I’m partial to actually being able to dance to dances \:D It might be heresy, but a good tempo to which I like to waltz is a quarter note at 132, so you might try that with a metronome. The runs were really light and airy – very nice.

Ovaltine – Nocturne #2, Op. 9 No. 2 (Chopin) – this had a really nice, comfortable, easy feel to it. Well done.

karaeloko – Traumerei (Schumann) – yes, Traumerei is a very beautiful piece, and you did a great job. I’m glad Monica was engrossed in her book so we could have such a nice ending to this recital. Well done!

Cathy

#1000425 - 08/16/08 09:24 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Continuing with the next ten:

41. Fillanzea (Emily) - Sunburst Waltz[/b] A cute little waltz played pretty evenly (a little slowing around and 17-18 second mark). The piece deserves the "sunburst" name and you played it "brightly". Very nice.

42. RobM - Suteki Da Ne[/b] Very nicely done! This piece certainly keeps you moving and your subtle changes of dynamics bring out the wistfulness of the piece.

43. tekkie - Opus #18[/b] This piece has a rather sad atmosphere that you bring out well. The use of the pedal seems to blur some of the notes (a but too much for my taste). Nice, even tempo and good control of the left hand in support of the right. Well done.

44. PianoN00b (Yang) - Midnight Rhapsody[/b] In general you show very nice control, especially on the runs. I would have preferred a little more variation in the dynamics, especially in the contrasting portions (say from 50 seconds to 1:30 into the piece as opposed to the opening). A couple of minor stumbles, but overall very nice!

45. joangolfing - Hymn to Joy[/b] Hmmmm...a syncopated Ode to Joy. You certainly choose a difficult piece to play. I'm not convinced that the arrangement works well, but it does offer a number of challenges. Nice work. A few stumbles but overall well done.

46. Paul Cast - Sonatina Op.36 No.1 Allegro, Andente, Vivace[/b] You played this very sweetly. Since you asked for critical review I'll provide that in the Critial section.

47. mahlzeit - Diminished[/b] As usual, very nice (surprisingly good recording). I note touches of Londonderry Air in this one.

48. Seaside_Lee - How Deep Is Your Love[/b] Very nice "noodling around." This has a real "piano bar" feel to it: sort of a late a night, smoky bar with everyone having one too many drinks sitting around feeling morose. Good job!

49. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - In The Still of the Night[/b] Very nice, a real Cole Porter standard played with just the right feel.

50. Piano*Dad - La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin[/b] Very nice! As simple as this sounds it's not at all easy. Really good job.

Well, that's that batch. Two more to go...

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1000426 - 08/16/08 10:04 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Hisalone Offline

21. Euan Morrison - Piano Ballet[/b]
Nicely performed mellow piece. I could see the dancers performing in my head.

22. DragonPianoPlayer - The Mechanical Doll[/b]
Interesting selection here. Well played. Too short, though. I wanted more. \:D

23. Euphonatrix - Sonatina in F, WoO, Anh. 5, No. 2[/b]
You can never go wrong with a Beethoven. You have captured the different moods of this Sonatina quite wonderfully. Not easy to do. Keep up the good work.

24. AdagioM (Michele) - Adagio from Sonata No. 48, Hob. XVI/35[/b]
You're right. I can tell you are very comfortable with this piece. I'm betting you have performed this live for others. You have managed to capture Haydn's style nicely. Great performance.

25. mlr1899 - Sensation[/b]
Awesome. Another rag! One of my favorite genres. I could feel myself in the saloon during your performance. I have the sheet on this and I may just have to learn it myself. I probably wouldn't be able to do it as well though. \:\( Great stuff. Thanks for the submission.

26. Gary001 - Theme in F Major[/b]
Short, sweet, and to the point. Well played, especially for someone who has been at it for such a short time.

27. rocky - Evacuee[/b]
This is an interesting piece. Sorry to hear about that lost brilliant recording, but I am trying to find where this one falls short.

28. Serge88 - The Long And Winding Road[/b]
Now there's a familiar tune. Very captivating, I must say, and well performed.

29. angelojf - "Here Comes the Sun"[/b]
Another Beatles tune. Also an excellent performance. Nice tempo. For some reason, though, it would not play on the streaming player.

30. kawaigirl1 - Leo[/b]
This composer, Einaudi, seems to be quite popular around these forums. I can see why. You have put together a great recording of an excellent performance. Thanks for submitting and keep it up.

More to come
Psa 33:1-3 ¶ Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright. Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings. Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Hisalone

#1000427 - 08/16/08 11:25 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Here's numbers 51-60...

51. GregF - Pastorale Op.100, No. 3[/b] This piece is marked dolce cantabile -- "sweet singing" and you did a pretty good job of bringing out the song. At the same time, the duration of the 8th notes in the left hand should be the same as the 8th notes in the right hand. You seem to have stretched them out to quarter notes. Nice work on the grace notes!

52. Mistaya (Caroline) - Notturno op.54 no.4[/b] Very nicely done! The only thing I would have liked to see is a little more morendo (dying away) at the end. Good job!

53. IPIBAHN (Sandy) - Jazz Hymn[/b] Okay, I'll start out by saying that when it comes to Jazz I'm a little out of my element. That said, I'll comment anyway ;\) It may have been the recording, but the left hand seemed a little too dominant in the first 35 seconds and then again at the 1 minute mark. Nice pace and you really made the melody sing out.

54. DeepElem (aka Buck) - Cinema Paradiso[/b] Since I don't know the piece my comments will relate only to your excellent playing. First, a nice, full sound although perhaps a bit too much pedal (at least for my taste). Good control of dynamics and the pacing seemed just right for the feel of the piece.

55. Greywullf - No. 3 Canzone Amorosa[/b] Very well done! This piece is typical of the period and you bring out its rhythms and melody very nicely. Perhaps playing on a "period instrument" was of some help \:\)

56. Jeff (Opus45) - Barcarolle (June, from the Seasons)[/b] Good job! Nice tempo throughout, you really made the melody sing. My only thought is that you might want to look at the score with regard to the dynamics. You played this pretty evenly all the way through and there are a number of dynamic changes throughout the piece that were omitted (or, perhaps, lost in the recording).

57. polostrings - Waiting for Arrival[/b] It's nice to know the story behind a piece. Nicely done.

58. Kawai, Hi - Raindrop Prelude[/b] You have a nice, delicate touch! If I might make a suggestion -- watch your use of the pedal. Part of the reason this is called "raindrop" is because of all the pedal marks -- up and down. Good pace!

59. Mike White - Scherzino Mexicano[/b] Nice to see Ponce represented in this recital! Very nicely done -- good control of the tempo and the dynamics are very subtly understated but work well.

60. Rosanna - Shanghai Tan[/b] Well, it's a safe bet I don't know the piece so can't comment on the accuracy of your ear. It's well played, however, with a nice range of dynamics and the tonality you get is very good. This piece seems to be one of a number of Chinese pieces that reflect both the traditional and Western influences in music -- very nice!

And that leaves one more batch to do.

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1000428 - 08/16/08 01:45 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

And, seventh, last but not least – new age, anime, video, and other non-classical, with same caveats as above –

Monica K. – Nuvole Bianche (Ludovico Einaudi) – I admire tremendously your ability to make music, rather than just notes. You obviously hear your music, and have the skill to bring it to life. This was great.

Mr Super-hunky – Imaginations (Mr super-hunky) – I like what’s in your head. Your approach to music, and the focus of your efforts, brings great results. I like both your philosophy and your music. This was wonderful.

kawaigirl1 – Leo (Ludovico Einaudi) – very nice. Contemplative.

AnthonyB – I due fiumi (Ludovico Einaudi) – really nice balance between the hands, and congratulations on your skill with both hands.

Strat – Wind Crest (from Final Fantasy X-2) (Takahito Eguchi & Noriko Matsueda) – this is a beautiful piece in and of itself, but I’m totally ignorant of FF. Is this piece associated with a particular action, or scene, or theme? What part of FF is invoked as you’re listening away from the game itself (it is a game, isn’t it? My maiden aunty genes have kept me out of this culture \:D ) ?

RobM – Suteki Da Ne (Nubuo Uematsu) – yeah, tricky rhythms, but you let it aid the movement of the piece, rather than getting in the way. Well done. And by pasty, you meant a meat pie, yes? Not what Monica-from-the-US-and-has-been-hanging-out-with-super-hunky-too-long thought of?

polostrings – Waiting for Arrival (polostrings) – I love it when people compose music with friends and loved ones in mind. Some of my most treasured pieces are from a friend of mine who wrote them for me (some of which I can’t play). Did you write this down, or can you just sit down at the piano and play it? Either way, I liked it, and I liked the thoughts behind it.

EJR – Everyday (Carly Comando) – well, no wonder you had to have a go – nice piece, and Monica’s rendition was terrific. This is a great follow-up – same nice movement, great bass notes, nice layering of the treble over the left hand. Well done.

Signal – Leave on the Siene (David Lanz) – oh, this was lovely, and played with such a nice touch – you have a good feel for your music.

I think this does it for reviews for me. If I left you out please jump up and down and wave your arms wildly – I’m short and otherwise it’s hard for me to see clear across the lobby of the auditorium 

Cathy

#1000429 - 08/16/08 02:00 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
51 GregF Pastorale Op.100, No. 3 - Bergmuller[/b]
Interesting little piece with nice dynamics and timing. Good job, Greg!

52 Mistaya (Caroline) Notturno op.54 no.4 - Grieg[/b]
Really nice dynamics, Caroline. This is a beautiful piece of music. I felt that it was perhaps a bit uneven in spots (I can't be certain, though, as I don't have the score before me), but overall very nice.

53 IPIBAHN (Sandy) Jazz Hymn - Norton[/b]
Sandy, this is a very pretty piece that I don't believe I've ever heard before. It does sound like a hymn to me. Very sweet and enjoyable with good dynamics.

54 DeepElem (aka Buck) Cinema Paradiso - Morricone[/b]
Wow, gorgeous piece, Buck. You played it with wonderful dynamics and a great sense of timing. Beautiful!

55 Greywullf Canzone Amorosa - Nevin[/b]
Interesting piece with which I was not familiar. Nice dynamics. You played it well. Great job!

56 Jeff (Opus45) Barcarolle (June, from the Seasons) - Tchaikowsky[/b]
Thanks for playing this. One of the first books I had as a child was a level 2 1/2 collection of simplified Tchaikowsky pieces. I have enjoyed his music ever since. Yes, I heard one or two minor problem areas, but overall this was quite nice with good dynamics. Nice job! When you hit a wrong note, you can just say what I do, "I was improvising a bit." Of course, that doesn't go down so well in the classical genre.

57 polostrings Waiting For Arrival[/b]
Your description of your composition brought tears to my eyes. You made me think of all we had to go through before the birth of our son. We had lost two babies, and discovered that my wife had a genetic disorder that wouldn't allow her to have healthy children. So we turned somewhat reluctantly to the miracle of modern science known as in vitro fertilization with egg donation. Thus, we had quite a bit longer than nine months invested in the process. Much of that time was sheer terror because of what we had gone through before, but the results were nothing short of a miracle. Would I do it again? Probably not, but I sure am glad we did it the first time. Anyway, back to your piece. I loved it. Bravo!

58 Kawai, Hi Raindrop Prelude - Chopin[/b]
Nothing to be embarrassed about. I played a bunch of pieces simplified by Schaum. Every now and then I still get those old books out and play through them for fun and sight reading practice. Very nice job.

59 Mike White Scherzino Mexicano - Ponce[/b]
I don't think I've ever heard this one before. It is gorgeous, and you play it very well with great dynamics and a nice touch. Beautiful. Tremendous job!

60 Rosanna Shanghai Tan - Goo[/b]
I am glad the posse hounded you until you gave in and participated here. Wow, what a dramatic piece. I, too, can imagine what it would sound like on a good acoustic grand. You play it wonderfully. Thank you for sharing this beautiful music with the group.

61 ddh - Daniel Londonderry Air[/b]
I love this melody, and I know it in at least three versions. The original Londonderry Air, Danny Boy, and the hymn, He Looked Beyond My Fault. All three, though subtly different, are the same basic melody. You did a great job with it.

62 YD (Yuri) Mozart, Sonata K545, Andante[/b]
Beautiful. I would not have noticed your very slight tempo alterations if you hadn't pointed them out. Very nice dynamics and accurate playing with a wonderful touch. As always, your playing is very satisfying.

63 Mannddrew Crazy - Nelson[/b]
This is a wonderful song that I have enjoyed listening to from numerous artists over the years. You have really captured the bluesy nature of the piece with your interpretation. I know it was originally a country hit, but I have always felt it worked best as a blues. Thanks, I love this!

64 Ozor Mox Waltz in D flat major (Petit Chien/Minute Waltz) - Chopin[/b]
This is still a blistering pace that I cannot manage. You held the waltz feeling through most of the piece despite what you said in your description. Great job!

65 Hisalone (Joel) Hungarian Dance No. 5 - Brahms[/b]
I played a simplified version as a youngster, so I know the real thing isn't easy to play. This was always one of my favorites even though I couldn't really do it justice. You play it very nicely in my estimation. Great job!

66 EJR Everyday - Comando[/b]
A very dramatic piece played with feeling. Great job!

67 Ovaltine Nocturne #2, Op.9 No.2 - Chopin[/b]
I have always loved this piece. You play it quite well. Such nice dynamics and touch. The timing was perhaps off just a fraction here and there, but hardly noticeable. Bravo!

68 Signal Leave on the Siene - Lanz[/b]
A beautiful piece played with great emotion. Nice timing and dynamics, and some of the rhythms in this piece sound rather tricky. Great job!

69 karaeloko Träumerei - Schumann[/b]
A nice mellow ending to a great recital. Your sound quality did not sound poor to me. Granted, I am listening through 3-way computer speakers of questionable quality. but it sounded typically Casioesque to me. Nice job on the piece. I enjoyed listening.

Well, another recital has come and gone. I heard a lot of great music. Some of it was familiar; some of it was new to me. I enjoyed every second. You all have surpassed yourselves once again in your performances. Tremendous job, everyone. Thank you for the hours of enjoyment, and I truly enjoyed every piece.

flickr

#1000430 - 08/16/08 02:18 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

And now for some just plain old chit-chat, which is apparently only a murmur under the pen-scratching of those who are writing reviews –

Hey, Monica! – thanks for the work again! Weren’t you relieved that I got high-speed internet and you didn’t have to fuss with my e-mail attachment? Maybe that’s the reason you saved time?

Oh, and thanks to mahlzeit, and laValse, and Copper, and Supe and Bob Muir (where has he gone?), and ddh, and joangolfing, and all the others who help out.

Copper! – is there a map coming? Can’t wait to see where in the world all the no-places are this time.

Ted Stanion – you can go tide pooling in the mountains outside Durango, CO? Or are those not the San Juans you were going to?

Euphonatrix – wow! You can get that kind of food at your airports in Germany?!? We can only get big donuts!

Serge88 – didn’t your dog’s tail tickle?

Orez Eno – nice to hear something from the US School of Music. You’ve posted some interesting observations about it’s lessons.

AnthonyB – where’s Center City? I used to live in MN for 13 years. Just got out my atlas to look for CC. Wow. Sleepy Eye, Hibbing, Owatonna – made me homesick.

Seaside – update that blog, man! How ya doin’? How’d the stuff go with your landlord at the gym?

polostrings and Kawai, HI – your kid is so cute. But you know, when HI first put up the avatar I thought it was a self-portrait \:D My eyesight’s maybe not so good any more.

Rosanna – all this talk of lunch is making me hungry. Yum, Indian food –

Cathy

#1000431 - 08/16/08 02:39 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

IPIBAHN – Sandy, epf, b528nf7, TX-Dennis – thanks for the comments. I do think I have a feel for this style of lively music, but just for the record, it’s the phrasing and pedaling I think I’m lousy at. I worked at it some on my first recital piece, The Entertainer, but haven’t really since on my pieces. I suppose I should put up or shut up and do it, and I have paid attention in several piano sessions since the recital, but we have a huge full-week-end-and-then-some gig coming up at the end of Oct, so the Nov piece is not likely to have much more subtlety. Maybe then I can spend time on this and I can hear some improvement in my playing in the phrasing-pedaling for the Feb recital. I’d love to be able to have the styling Dennis has, the ease Bill has, and the expression Sandy and Ed have, in addition to the fun I have. Nothing like asking for everything!

Cathy

#1000432 - 08/16/08 03:18 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Euphonatrix Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hessen, Germany
Hi jotur,
thanks for your kind comment!
As to your question:
 Quote:
I have a Sony mini-recorder, too, and have had trouble with clipping when I use it. Do you turn off the auto gain? [/b]
I had some problems with clipping at first, too. Now I'm recording on "manual record" (assume this means switching off auto gain). With my model, you keep the pause button pressed and move the red recording thingie to the right until "manual rec" appears on the display. The recordig timer will blink, but time will not run. Then you can use the volume button with the minus to turn down the recording volume. I did a little bit of experimenting and found out that for my piano and the mic set-up two steps down work fine. To start recording, push the pause button again.
Hope this helps.

As to your other question ... the ciabatta was bought in Vienna, Austria, but yeah, here we do have nice restaurants as well.

#1000433 - 08/16/08 03:35 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
10. True Beginner - Les Fleurs Sauvages ( Wild Flowers )[/b]

True Beginner - Only playing 6 months? Amazing progress! I can't wait to hear how you play and what you sound like at 1 year and every 6 months or so after that

As I mentioned before in another recent post (it might have been in the Aug. Piano Bar) you really should [/b] consider renaming yourself to "True Advanced-Intermediate" \:\)

You've hit the ground running at full speed!

Regards, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1000434 - 08/16/08 03:40 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Ah, thanks, Euphonatrix. I'll try that. I'd love to try recording on my acoustic piano, but it's too big to move into the room with the computer :p , so if I could use my Sony and then take that to computer I'd be in clover.

Cathy

#1000435 - 08/16/08 04:02 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Copper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
 Quote:
Originally posted by jotur:

Copper! – is there a map coming? Can’t wait to see where in the world all the no-places are this time.
Yup - posted in the statistics thread.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/7038.html

#1000436 - 08/16/08 04:20 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
 Quote:
Shanghai Tan Wow! So... classically trained.. did it help with PianoMagic? I'm guessing it did. I'm still amazed when I listen to something so wonderful that has been played by ear. So it's not even written down right? Totally baffled at how anyone can do this. It's just amazing to me!! Loved it!
Sandy/IPIBAHN,
Thanks so much for your kind comments. I am amazed myself that I can play this and many other songs without the benefit of any written melody nor chords to go by. Prior to learning at PianoMagic, if someone had told me that I could do this, I wouldn't have believed him. So I am pretty amazed myself. As for "classically" trained, well, those 16th notes I played during the final section of the song were really quite "messy". My left ring finger wasn't that coordinated. But if I hadn't played in the past, I would have an even harder time, so I guess you can say that my "training" helps, although that training is totally rusty.

John Frank,
Thanks for your glowing comments, but they realy are way exaggerated. But then since you were one of the main "nudgers", I know your guilt demands that you say something super nice to me! ;\)

I have yet to start listening to the recital. The Olympics are getting me glued to the TV!

#1000437 - 08/16/08 05:47 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
 Quote:
Originally posted by jotur:

AnthonyB – where’s Center City? I used to live in MN for 13 years. Just got out my atlas to look for CC. Wow. Sleepy Eye, Hibbing, Owatonna – made me homesick.
Cathy [/b]
About an hour northeast of St. Paul. Just under the "nose" of Wisconsin. I'm originally from the Chicago area though. I will say I like Minnesota much better than the time I spent in Texas. Just north of Dallas, TX had summers that were far too hot. Winters were not cold enough to enjoy. Any snow was not much and usually didn't stick around so you get lots of sleeping trees and brown grass all winter. Anyway, I enjoy 4 seasons a year. My favorite season is right around the corner. Autumn. Such a great time of year. Apples, pumpkins, winter squash out of the garden, fields turning brown in prep to be harvested, fall colors, great sleeping weather. Hard to ask for anything better than that. Oops, I think I've gone off on a bit of a ramble there. \:\)

On a side note, I have finished listening to all the recital pieces and would like to say that I really enjoyed all the pieces, especially #33! ;\)

Great work everyone!

#1000438 - 08/16/08 06:18 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

I like having 4 seasons, too, and here really doesn't have enough winter for me, except once every 6 or 7 years. I used to drive up to Duluth for an autumn weekend every year, and then back thru the back roads with gorgeous foliage. I've thought about going back when I "retire."

Cathy

#1000439 - 08/16/08 06:21 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: 90 miles West of New Orleans
Did someone say, "retire"? That has to be one of my most favorite words.

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1000440 - 08/16/08 09:21 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Kawai, HI Offline

Loc: Hawaii
IPIBAHN-Sandy, Jotur-Cathy and Tx-Dennis thanks for the kind words about my piece. This place is great for boosting one's ego. (Thanks Cathy for your comments about my son, I think he's pretty cute too but I'm his mom!)

epf- Ed, thanks for the great advice on pedaling. The dynamics of this piece challenged me, even the simplified version. I hope to keep working on it.

#1000441 - 08/16/08 09:25 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Houston, TX
01. Mark... - Prelude in D minor[/b]
You're developing a precise touch and played this evenly befitting Classical motifs. Every one of your performances exceeds the previous, and this is no exception.

02. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Sonata No. 14 'Moonlight' in C# minor, Op. 27 No. 2: Adagio Sostenuto[/b] (to do)
The haunting but much beloved strains of the Moonlight 1st Movement... Here we have a very musically mature performance. I didn't hear the slips, though we all get them. Part of pianistical development is the ability to "cover" them and continue, which you obviously accomplished here. Impressive, my friend.

03. Monica K. - Nuvole Bianche[/b]
White clouds, yet without the aid of a jet. Magical playing, Monica, as clean as ever.

04. Lisztener - Whistling Away the Dark[/b]
I was quite taken with the YouTube slideshow presentation of this hanting piece. If you'll indulge me: creaking floorboards, golden memories of long-lost grandeur, dusty tapestries, cobweb-enshrouded chandeliers, broken dreams. Miss Havisham's house from Dicken's Great Expectations. Your gift for grabbing the listener and taking him/her to another world is remarkable.

05. LisztAddict - Prelude Op 28 No 13[/b]
A flawless performance of this lovely, longing piece.

06. Laura D - Tarantella[/b]
Fast flying fingers in both hands, tedious fingerwork; tough spots notwithstanding, impressive. I appreciate you pushing yourself and the countless hours of hard work required for something like this.

07. Mr Super-hunky - Imaginations[/b]
Mr. S-H, I'm usually skeptical when I see original composition as the source. This is a huge exception. You did not wander aimlessly, but grabbed the listener with a theme which you then developed. You did not bore the listener with repetiveness but continued the development throughout. You have demonstrated a rare gift.

08. Riddler (Ed) - I Remember Clifford[/b]
Sweet and sentimental jazz number, tastefully played. You should be playing in a night club!

09. John Frank - Etude, Op.10, No.3 (Theme)[/b]
Ah yes, the sweetest of melodies. Even the simplified version sounds tough. Remain diligent and someday the urge to tackle the URTEXT version will overcome you. Nice job, and keep it up!

10. True Beginner - Les Fleurs Sauvages ( Wild Flowers )[/b]
Hey, not bad for six months playing! The octave double-strikes sounded like a fairly respectable technical hurdle, which you pulled out well!

11. laValse - Prelude Op 40 #3[/b]
Very much like Chopin's Op. 28 No. 4 in a miniature package. Sad, pining, morosity well-captured. Good work on this!

12. Peyton - A House at the End of the World[/b]
Incredible...

13. Ted Stanion - La fille aux cheveux de lin[/b]
Hope you enjoyed your stay on Orcas - that's a stone's throw from here. Musically your performance sounded quite good, no obvious technical problems, with sweet lyricism.

14. b528nf7 - Bill Moore - Piano Bar Theme[/b]
Loved it!

15. Schubertian - J S Bach - Prelude & Fugue #15 in G Major; WTC II[/b]
Even tempo, crisp notes show good finger independence, this sounded very Bach-like, nice work. Liked the runs near the end.

16. Jinbo - Moment Musicaux No. 3 in F Minor[/b]
I must confess I had some difficulty hearing your piano on account of some distortion. On the music itself, the dance-like rhyhtm and the dynamics sounded well-executed.

17. dannylux/Mel - Kalinnikov Moderato in e flat minor[/b]
Your desire to expose work of lesser-known composers is appreciated. The thread of Russian passion, deeply moving and melancholic in this case, can be heard clearly running through your excellent, pro-quality rendition of this Kalinnikov piece.

18. bluekeys - Mariage D'amour[/b]
It's okay to dig super romantic crap sometimes. I do hope, however, that in the future you will be in a position to pursue your own musical interests. In time, my friend. You played this well and handled the double notes and octaves with ease.

19. Casyopea - Prelude in C Major BWV 846 (from Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I)[/b]
A childhood favorite, thank you. Only eight months playing?

20. rustyfingers - Root Beer Rag[/b]
Wow, some fancy rhythms going on there! You'd get one rousing round of applause if you pulled that out in a dance or lodge hall.

Relaxing ebbing and flowing dynamics against an intricate rhythm. Good touch!

22. DragonPianoPlayer - The Mechanical Doll[/b]
Regimented, mechanical to a "T" as per the intent, and well-executed dynamics. Nice choice, and well played!

23. Euphonatrix - Sonatina in F, WoO, Anh. 5, No. 2[/b] (to do)
A whole Sonatina, both movements! Skillfully executed with sharp precision. You captured the playful and melancholic sides of Beethoven. BTW I enjoy the sound of your upright.

24. AdagioM (Michele) - Adagio from Sonata No. 48, Hob. XVI/35[/b]
Your playing is always so precise!

25. mlr1899 - Sensation[/b]
Happy rag, nicely done!

26. Gary001 - Theme in F Major[/b]
Making progress Gary!

27. rocky - Evacuee[/b]
It was hard to place the genre, or fit the title to the mood, but I enjoyed your playing of it.

28. Serge88 - The Long And Winding Road[/b]
Well-played instrumental of this Lennon classic!

29. angelojf - "Here Comes the Sun"[/b]
Happy playing! The recording added a certain element of charm to it.

30. kawaigirl1 - Leo[/b]
Wow, you nailed those delicate ornaments! Played with expression.

31. Orez Eno - Two Timing, Op.134 No.6[/b]
Nice little Beethovenesque dance piece. Perfect Carousel music for pipe organ, well done.

32. Undone (Jim) - Night Song[/b]
Very impressive for 7.5 months. This piece is indeed Nocturne-like, like a night watch over a port, contained within the parentheses of dusk and dawn. Evocative little piece, fabulous work.

33. AnthonyB - I due fiumi[/b]
Einaudi - hard to place a definitive mood on his music. You played it expressively and well.

34. Strat - Wind Crest (from Final Fantasy X-2)[/b]
Chilly, sterile, view expanded outward. You succeeded in painting a picture here with your playing!

35. jotur - Cathy Turner - (This is Not Your Mother's) Black and White Rag[/b]
Cathy, I always look forward to your rags! Nice one, love your skill with these!

36. Eighty8 - Letter From Home[/b]
A contemporary piece I actually know! Well played, nice work!

37. epf - Music of the Night[/b]
Interesting nocturne.

38. Copper - Stardust[/b]
Don't forget Cal Tjader ;-)

39. Pevawi / Peter - Für Elise[/b]
Für Elise - a hard piece, contrary to popular consensus! A respectable performance.

41. Fillanzea (Emily) - Sunburst Waltz[/b]
A little burst of sunshine put to music...

42. RobM - Suteki Da Ne[/b] (to do)
Quite right about the challenges of 2 against 3 and 3 against 4 (and so forth). Not familiar enough with the genre to comment in detail, except to say I found it quite, quite enjoyable and comparable to Debussy. Esp. liked the ending.

43. tekkie - Opus #18[/b]

44. PianoN00b (Yang) - Midnight Rhapsody[/b] (to do)

45. joangolfing - Hymn to Joy[/b] (to do)

46. Paul Cast - Sonatina Op.36 No.1 Allegro, Andente, Vivace[/b] (to do)

47. mahlzeit - Diminished[/b] (to do)

48. Seaside_Lee - How Deep Is Your Love[/b] (to do)

49. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - In The Still of the Night[/b] (to do)

50. Piano*Dad - La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin[/b] (to do)

51. GregF - Pastorale Op.100, No. 3[/b] (to do)
You have a tender touch, and executed this sweet little piece well. Yes, the dynamics came through. Keep up the effort - musicality is what separates the good from the great, and you have potential.

52. Mistaya (Caroline) - Notturno op.54 no.4[/b]
Caroline, I sure do appreciate your elegant taste in music - and your elegant playing! You handled the Fauré-esque syncopation with ease and grace.

53. IPIBAHN (Sandy) - Jazz Hymn[/b]
Sandy, I am sorry about the loss of your canine friend \:\( I felt some deep feeling in your playing of Jazz Hymn. One of the things a musician tries to do is communicate his or her feelings through music, and you accomplished this.

54. DeepElem (aka Buck) - Cinema Paradiso[/b]
Played with depth and feeling. I, too, like the feel of this Jazz piece. You're good.

55. Greywullf - No. 3 Canzone Amorosa[/b] The Chickering sounds fantastic, and so does your playing of this wonderful turn-of-the-century music. There's some irony there, in fact, in that the instrument on which you play is similar to the instruments Nevin would have had in his day.

56. Jeff (Opus45) - Barcarolle (June, from the Seasons)[/b] Stay the course, and the polishing will come. You seem to have all the components there, the dynamics, the rhythm, and most importantly, the memorization of the notes. Don't ever let anyone berate you for tackling material beyond your technical abilities; that's an excellent way to learn, but is the path of the few. BTW your recording sounded pretty good to my ears.

57. polostrings - Waiting for Arrival[/b]
Nice comp, polostrings! Liked the dissonant chords. Keep up the good work!

58. Kawai, Hi - Raindrop Prelude[/b] Even simplified Chopin is tough, and demands a strong command of musical vocabulary, and you gave a respectable performance here. (Hope you will indulge your interest some day and tackle the real thing when you feel ready, and record it for us!)

59. Mike White - Scherzino Mexicano[/b] Always enjoy your playing, Mike, and this was no exception. Ponce is difficult for me to place in my mental music bin - is it Romantic, or is it the Missouri Waltz? He's an underplayed composer, very pleasing to the ear, and his works deserve greater exposure.

60. Rosanna - Shanghai Tan[/b] Ah, Rosanna, Rosanna :-) What wonderful playing, Asian melody, fast accompaniment with the LH, clean, beautiful! Yes, I could see that in a soap-opera context, and see the passion and intrigue in the piece, which you drew out well.

61. ddh - Daniel - Londonderry Air[/b]
Rueful Irish melancholy captured in tune. Nothing brash, well-executed.

62. YD (Yuri) - Mozart, Sonata K545, Andante[/b] (to do)
Played like a pro - texturing, dynamics, expression. This second movement of K545 is, much like the second movement of the Moonlight, obscured by the first and seldom played. Good choice!

63. Manndrew - Crazy[/b]
Ooh, nice Jazzy feel, complete with walking bass. Rhythmwise it sounds like there is a slap bass here with steady bass rhythm, but that's all piano! Very enjoyable.

64. Ozor Mox - Waltz in D flat major (Petit Chien/Minute Waltz)[/b]
Difficult piece, good tempo, I could see the dog chasing his tail! (It's said that was the inspiration for 64/2.) Nice work tackling this sweet little beastie, very nice recording.

65. Hisalone (Joel) - Hungarian Dance No. 5[/b]
Ha! I loved the expression you put into this! You captured the Eastern European feel, and offered excellent textural contrast (legato / staccato). I have an affinity for your playing style. Keep it up!

66. EJR - Everyday[/b]
Hard to comment on genres outside of my sphere of familiarity. This was smooth and relaxing, but at the same time tense and ominous, with a feeling much like that of Beethoven Moonlight 1st Mvt. Liked the way you built up the tension.

67. Ovaltine - Nocturne #2, Op.9 No.2[/b] Your Chopin nocturne came out better than mine. Good work here. Smooth runs, played with expression, grace, and feeling. Tasteful performance of one of the classiest and most famous pieces in the Romantic repertoire.

68. Signal - Leave on the Siene[/b]
Smooth, floating cadences. Beautiful.

69. karaeloko - Träumerei[/b] (to do)
Did not notice the poor sound quality of which you opined, sounded quite good to my ear. Your playing overcame any technological difficulties you may have had. Well played Schumann.

Don't click here!

#1000442 - 08/16/08 11:23 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Hisalone Offline

31. Orez Eno - Two Timing, Op.134 No.6[/b]
Nice even tempo displayed here. Interesting composition I have never heard. You do well with it. Good job.

32. Undone (Jim) - Night Song[/b]
I used to play this one as well. You can do it better than I did. I always did like this piece, though. I think you have inspired me to start playing it again since I still have it committed to memory. I have heard that second part played too fast, and you do definitely keep it...how you say... "nocturne-ish." Great job.

33. AnthonyB - I due fiumi[/b]
Yet another Einaudi. I think so far this composer may be one of the most popular represented in this recital. Excellently performed.

34. Strat - Wind Crest (from Final Fantasy X-2)[/b]
Calming piece in a way. These Final Fantasy songs seem to be gaining in popularity here among the forum. You play it extremely beautifully.

35. jotur - Cathy Turner - (This is Not Your Mother's) Black and White Rag[/b]
Sweet! Another rag. Excellent tempo and all-around performance. Once again, great example from one of my favorite genres of piano music. Thanks for submitting. I'm with you. Ragtime forever. Wanna be my ragtime buddy? \:D

36. Eighty8 - Letter From Home[/b]
Nice selection here. Jazz Fusion, huh? I could definitely pick up some jazz influences here. You play it nicely.

37. epf - Music of the Night[/b]
Very mellow yet captivating performance. The slight nuances are displayed gratly in your playing. Nice job

38. Copper - Stardust[/b]
I don't think I have ever heard this on before. With that laundry list of who's who, that is surprising to me. Well done, nonetheless.

39. Pevawi / Peter - Für Elise[/b]
There's an all-time piano favorite. You do well with it. Don't worry that it is not perfect. Just listen to my submission. You play it with the feeling I think it deserves. Good job.

40. gerg aka Greg - Nocturne Op. 37 No. 2[/b]
You are so humble for what you put forth here. I like the different moods that are presented here. There is alot to be said for that. This seems like it would be no picnic to learn and really get down the way you have done. Keep submitting for us.

More to come

Hisalone

#1000443 - 08/17/08 05:25 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosanna:

John Frank,
Thanks for your glowing comments, but they realy are way exaggerated. But then since you were one of the main "nudgers", I know your guilt demands that you say something super nice to me! ;\)
[/b]
It would seem that some people are never happy unless they're complaining \:\(

First, they have to be badgered and harrassed and practically dragged kicking and screaming into submitting a piece at all to the Recital, and then when they finally and reluctantly relent and do so and it recieves justifiably rave reviews they complain about that! :rolleyes:

Is there no end to the abuse a loyal fan has to take? ;\)

With perplexed and disheartened Regards, JF

P.S. I hold firm to my "guilt-free" review :p

#1000444 - 08/17/08 06:05 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Euan - Piano Ballet indeed! - nice "finger-dancing" on the keyboard - very well done with a nice, easy touch in full control - a highly listenable piece - thanks for doing the transcription and for sharing it with us here.

30. kawaigirl1 - Leo[/b]

kawaigirl1 - a very pretty tune (lucky Leo, whomever he is) - and very well played (up to your high standards, as usual) - thanks for choosing this delectable piece (and for perfoming it so professionally) for the 11th ABF Recital (aka, "The Einaudi Fest") ;\)

With appreciative Regards, JF

#1000445 - 08/17/08 10:08 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
 Quote:
Originally posted by joangolfing:
I am enjoying listening to everyone's pieces on an MP3 CD in my car. I made a Recital 11 Player List on a Word Document and anyone interested in printing a copy can get it from my boxnet site.

Recital 11 Player List (includes piece, composer, Source, Instrument, and recording method)
Go here:
http://www.box.net/shared/rbvg8r1c4o [/b]
Thanks for this, joangolfing--makes it easier to see the background while listening.

Everybody--I'm so impressed with this recital. Y'all are just getting better and better. I never had a chance to comment on the last recital, so I'm making a point to do so this time. Stay tuned (groan for the pun.)

And thanks for those of you who commented on my piece. Love that feedback!

OK, here goes with the last half. First half still to come (as a procrastinator myself, I empathize with the later arrivals!)

35 jotur - Cathy Turner [/b]
This is Not Your Mother's) Black and White Rag
Cathy, I love this. As you know, I love rags, and I hadn’t heard this one before. What I especially envy about your playing is your steady rhythms. Must come from that dance ensemble work! As usual you get the fun award!

36 Eighty8[/b]
Letter From Home
Composer:Pat Metheny
Very pretty. I especially like the end.

37 epf[/b]
Music of the Night
Composer:Andrew Lloyd Webber
Epf, this was really lovely. You put a lot of feeling into the performance without over doing it. The rhythm was steady, but loose enough to convey emotion at the right time.

38 Copper[/b]
Stardust
Composer:Hoagy Carmichael
I just adore these old standards. You live up to your long line of predecessors! Great job on a great choice!

39 Pevawi / Peter[/b]
Für Elise
Composer:Ludwig van Beethoven
There’s a reason this piece is so popular. You do a nice job. I especially thought your pedaling added a lush sound. Maybe it’s your organ background…

40 gerg aka Greg[/b]
Nocturne Op. 37 No. 2
Composer:Frederic Chopin
What can I say. This was a fabulous performance—Wonderful use of dynamics to build the tension and then release. Your piano sounds so warm and beautiful too.

41 Fillanzea (Emily)[/b]
Sunburst Waltz
What a cheerful romp. Great timing and touch.

42 RobM [/b]
Suteki Da Ne
Composer:Nobuo Uematsu
You develop a great atmospheric in this performance. Nice job.

43 tekkie[/b]
Opus #18
Composer:Dustin O'Halloran
You do a great job of keeping all those triplets together in time. You must be very pleased with this performance.

44 PianoN00b (Yang)[/b]
Midnight Rhapsody
Composer:Melody Bober
Great dramatic ending

45 joangolfing[/b]
Hymn to Joy
Wow, this is an interesting arrangement of a beloved tune. Sounds like rainy-day Beethoven. Nice work bringing out the melody through the intricate accompaniment.

46 Paul Cast[/b]
Sonatina Op.36 No.1 Allegro, Andente, Vivace
I admire your accuracy on this piece. You play it very cleanly. The Vicace movement is nicely dancing.

47 mahlzeit [/b]
Diminished
Pretty colors. Your phone did a nice job recording too!

48 Seaside_Lee [/b]
How Deep Is Your Love
This laid back take takes me waaay back! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

49 TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner)[/b]
In The Still of the Night
Cole Porter is so cool. This performance really does justice to the wonderful melody.

50 Piano*Dad[/b]
La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin
Composer:Claude Debussy
Gotta have my Debussy fix. This is a terrific recording—couldn’t suggest a thing to change--from your dynamics to your touch to your pedaling, you create a lovely wash of sound. Ooh, and now I see this was in one take. We are not worthy….

51 GregF[/b]
Pastorale Op.100, No. 3
Composer:Johann Burgmuller
Sounds great—those Czerny and Hanon exercises are obviously working!

52 Mistaya (Caroline)[/b]
Notturno op.54 no.4
How lushly romantic. I really really enjoyed this. I thought of nightingales singing outside some castle window. Maybe I’ve been living in a cave, but I don’t know this piece, but now I wish I did. This with some of the Grieg pieces from past recitals make me realize I’m missing something.

53 IPIBAHN (Sandy)[/b]
Jazz Hymn
I like the sad pieces too. I find them cathartic. This is wonderful, healing music. Thanks for sharing your touching recording.

54 DeepElem (aka Buck)[/b]
Cinema Paradiso
Aha! So the secret is “leave them wanting more?” I do, I do.

55 Greywullf[/b]
No. 3 Canzone Amorosa
New to me. Thanks for the introduction. You have a mastery of melody, rhythm and dynamics. What a nice sounding piano, too.

56 Jeff (Opus45)[/b]
Barcarolle (June, from the Seasons)
Ooh, another minor piece…I’m in heaven. This is a pretty one. This is in no way beyond your abilities. So musical. A keeper.

57 polostrings[/b]
Waiting for Arrival
You’ve captured the anticipation perfectly. Amazing.

58 Kawai, Hi[/b]
Raindrop Prelude
Gotta go get my umbrella—very effective!

59 Mike White[/b]
Scherzino Mexicano
This is a neat piece I haven’t heard before. From your performance I can just imagine it on guitar. Thanks for submitting it.

60 Rosanna[/b]
Shanghai Tan
One of the things that is so fantastic about these recitals is learning so much about music. I’ve never heard this before, but now I learn it is a new classic. What a wonderful melody. Nice job with the play by ear too!

61 ddh - Daniel [/b]
Londonderry Air
Sounds great. Isn’t this a pretty melody? You bring it out nicely, and play it with feeling.

62 YD (Yuri)[/b]
Mozart, Sonata K545, Andante
I’m so glad you submitted this, Yuri. People talk about it all the time, and I don’t think I’d ever heard it before. Simple it may be for you, but it sounds great. Your piano on this piece reminds me of a music box dancer. Very nice.

63 Manndrew[/b]
Crazy
Hey, this is great. I thought maybe y’all were from down south until I saw you were local. Nice improv. Patsy Cline, move over….

64 Ozor Mox [/b]
Waltz in D flat major (Petit Chien/Minute Waltz)
Coincidentally, my husband asked me to learn this for the next recital. Hmmm.. I’m a little intimidated. Sounds pretty tricky. I’m swaying as I type—you definitely captured that waltz feel. It brings me back to my waltz party days in college. Great work. And how cool to record in a studio! (You’re definitely ok on the timing—minute was supposed to mean small, not 60 seconds!)

65 Hisalone (Joel) [/b]
Hungarian Dance No. 5
This sounds like great fun to play. The melody is familiar, but I didn’t know the details, so I was delighted to hear your performance and learn where it came from. You did a great job keeping the base going through the tricky right hand games.

66 EJR[/b]
Everyday
This piece has some great chord colors and a a rumbly base that I feel in my chest! You have a nice steady rhythm and a way of bringing out the important bits over the left hand.

67 Ovaltine [/b]
Nocturne #2, Op.9 No.2
Ouch. You should get the purple dot medal for performing under duress. It’s like you’re an Olympic piano player—the recital must go on. I love this piece and am so glad you submitted it, although, of course I’m dying to hear your Bethena. I’m putting this on my list. I’m impressed that your repertoire is deep enough to have a Plan C!

68 Signal [/b]
Leave on the Siene
Very lovely playing—another melancholy piece—my favorites!

69 karaeloko[/b]
Träumerei
You did a great job with this very moving piece.

#1000446 - 08/17/08 02:34 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
JohnFrank,
I hereby humbly and gratefully accept your glowing reviews. :3hearts: :3hearts:

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
Today at 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
Today at 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
Today at 07:34 PM
Chopin Op 10 No 6
by Cheeto717
Today at 07:08 PM
Charles R Walter upright
by landorrano
Today at 05:19 PM
Who's Online
100 registered (Al LaPorte, A Guy, andriy555, AZ_Astro, 35 invisible), 1067 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157636 Topics
2315398 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission