Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1000507 - 08/25/08 05:15 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
I want to thank everyone who took the time to comment on my submital and gave me encouraging and positive remarks. You all keep me inspired.

I haven't yet started to listen to any recital pieces yet! Yikes. (Too much time in front of the TV watching the Olympics.) Anyway, since jotur submitted her comments for an earlier recital almost 3 months after the fact, I figure I have some slack time yet!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1000508 - 08/25/08 05:29 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rosanna:
Anyway, since jotur submitted her comments for an earlier recital almost 3 months after the fact, I figure I have some slack time yet! [/b]
And being "in Beijing" is at least as good an excuse as being in New Zealand was -

Cathy

#1000509 - 08/25/08 07:26 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by bluekeys:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Key Notes:

True Beginner and Bluekeys: I guess I've always had an absolute weekness for the romantics as well, so Paul De Senneville & Olivier Toussaint are definitely my heroes. :3hearts:

"Les Fleur Sauvages" is absolutely beautiful, and I've been listening to "Marriage D'amour" for who knows how many times by now. I'm definitely with your teacher here Bluekeys. ;\)

[/b]
Thank you, Key Notes, for the kind words and repeated listenings. In case it wasn't already clear, my comment about my teacher's romantic taste was tongue-in-cheek. She is a great teacher and has given me an appreciation for a lot of music I once dismissed as fluff. I now have 3 Senneville/Toussaint pieces that I play regularly and enjoy them all immensely. [/b]
bluekeys,

Thank you for the clarifications regarding your comment but absolutely uneccessary since I also took it as such. While it's obvious that I must clarify mine. It was also given in a light-hearted nature and if you did not received it as such then please accept my apologies for being ambiguous. It was merely meant to represent our common interests in enjoying this area of music.

I look forward to hearing many more of your beautiful recordings.

Best regard,

Key Notes \:\)

#1000510 - 08/26/08 01:54 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
ohitpro Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio, USA
Hello Everyone,

I just listened to all these fine recital pieces and was overwhelmed! What an inspiration you all are and I really enjoy reading the discussions.

I've been mostly a viewer here for about a year when I picked piano back up after a long layoff. Found this site when researching a piano purchase and that was very helpful.

Anyway, I am now extra motivated to practice and try new things - especially love the Einaudi pieces!

And when I heard "Imaginations - #07", I searched for it online assuming it was a "professional" composition but went back and read that it was the original work of Mr S-H - wow!

What a neat thing to have available to us adult beginners - some of you are most definitely not beginners any longer but I guess that's a relative term.

Now to search for a piece I can try for the next recital...

Have a great day!

#1000511 - 08/26/08 06:23 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Ozor Mox Offline

Loc: Hampshire, England
I've finally found the time to make some individual comments, more coming later...

01. Mark... - Prelude in D minor[/b]
Very relaxing piece and nice even playing.

02. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Sonata No. 14 'Moonlight' in C# minor, Op. 27 No. 2: Adagio Sostenuto[/b]
Very accurate and sensitive playing. My only criticism would be the same thing I always do on this piece, that I thought it was a bit loud and strong in places where I thought this was a p or pp piece all the way through? Maybe I am wrong, feel free to correct me! Really nice though, I enjoyed it.

03. Monica K. - Nuvole Bianche[/b]
Got to love Einaudi, one of my favourites of his! I've just noticed the chords at the beginning sound exactly like the main theme to Sunshine... Great arpeggios and playing!

04. Lisztener - Whistling Away the Dark[/b]
Wow what a fantastic piece, and played with such emotion. I loved it!

05. LisztAddict - Prelude Op 28 No 13[/b]
Lovely smooth playing and great control of dynamics.

06. Laura D - Tarantella[/b]
This sounded incredibly difficult, and yet you played it so smoothly. A couple of glitches in the middle I think, but nothing compared to what sounded spot on.

07. Mr Super-hunky - Imaginations[/b]
Highly enjoyable playing. I loved the chord change in the middle. I've also just read that it's an original piece, and it's an impressive one at that!

08. Riddler (Ed) - I Remember Clifford[/b]
Expertly played! I'm not usually that in to jazz, but this is a great melody.

09. John Frank - Etude, Op.10, No.3 (Theme)[/b]
It is indeed a beautiful piece. It seems like you could perhaps smooth this piece out a bit by using the pedal and playing a bit more lightly? I think you did a great job though.

10. True Beginner - Les Fleurs Sauvages ( Wild Flowers )[/b]
Very intense piece and definitely some non-beginner playing to match it!

11. laValse - Prelude Op 40 #3[/b]
Accurate and controlled playing.

12. Peyton - A House at the End of the World[/b]
Great composition. Some fantastic playing, and you can sing and play at the same time which is something I can't do! (though anything that stops me singing is a good thing!) I especially liked the end.

13. Ted Stanion - La fille aux cheveux de lin[/b]
Another piece I'd like to learn but haven't attempted yet, and this is just how I'd like to be able to play it! Spot on playing.

14. b528nf7 - Bill Moore - Piano Bar Theme[/b]
This is amazing and made me laugh in a very good way! Great playing and singing, I loved it!

15. Schubertian - J S Bach - Prelude & Fugue #15 in G Major; WTC II[/b]
I find Bach incredibly difficult to play evenly, and you did this so perfectly and for so long. Envy!

16. Jinbo - Moment Musicaux No. 3 in F Minor[/b]
I have recently had a go at this piece and cannot play it anything like this! Really energetic and fun. Please buy a Zoom H4 or something, this would sound so much better if it wasn't recorded with a mobile phone!

17. dannylux/Mel - Kalinnikov Moderato in e flat minor[/b]
This is a very beautiful piece and you played it very beautifully and came out with a flawless performance.

18. bluekeys - Mariage D'amour[/b]
Your description made me laugh! Nonetheless, I rather liked the piece and your playing of it was very good indeed.

19. Casyopea - Prelude in C Major BWV 846 (from Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I)[/b]
I have been giving this piece a bash lately, and will be hoping to play it just like this. You play this so evenly it sounds great.

20. rustyfingers - Root Beer Rag[/b]
I have to say, not normally my kind of piece. But the dissonance and the energetic playing grabbed me and forced me to listen! I ended up really enjoying it. This must have taken some amazing technical skill.

21. Euan Morrison - Piano Ballet[/b]
Great playing and a really nice sounding piece.

22. DragonPianoPlayer - The Mechanical Doll[/b]
A very interesting sound this piece has, and I think you captured the mechanical sound by playing with solid timing and rhythm.

#1000512 - 08/26/08 01:02 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
25. Wow...! Great job!! I keep wanting to play some ragtime and keep starting and giving up. You make it sound so easy.
24. I love Hayden and definitly do this piece justice.
23. Absolutley a fantastic job. You really captured the essence of this work. The piano sounded nice too. And so did your lunch!
22.Very interesting piece and good playing.
21. nice work. Wasnt' sure if by "transcription" you menat that you played this by ear or not but if by ear... extra credit! \:\)
20.Very different! Nice job.
19. It's funny but I can hear this over and over (and play it over and over) and i just can't stop loving it. Bach was a genius! You did the work justice. Nice recording too.

#1000513 - 08/26/08 01:06 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Thanks to the organizers & operators of the recital; to all the other participants for their great music; and for all those who commented in general and on my performance in particular.

Looking forward to Nov. 15th (my piece is already recorded! \:\) :p (it's also my 3rd anniversary playing!)

Regards, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1000514 - 08/26/08 07:51 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Reviews for #53 to #69 are completed.
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/7026/3.html

Thanks all so much for your kind words. They mean more than you know.

Don't click here!

#1000515 - 08/27/08 09:17 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Manndrew Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
41. Fillanzea (Emily) - Sunburst Waltz

A very spirited performance. Good control on those short runs. A really fun piece.

42. RobM - Suteki Da Ne

I think you did an excellent job in controlling the rhythm. Your touch and expression were very good. Overall a wonderful performance.

43. tekkie - Opus #18

A wonderful melody played with a steady forward moving motion. Very clear and even. Good job.

44. PianoN00b (Yang) - Midnight Rhapsody

Beautiful opening theme and a very unusual second theme. Good work on those runs. A bravo finish.

45. joangolfing - Hymn to Joy

This is an excellent arrangement. Good changes in rhythm and dynamics here. Quite a good effort for a piece of this length.

46. Paul Cast - Sonatina Op.36 No.1 Allegro, Andente, Vivace

The Allegro was excellent. Good technique with the Alberti base. The Andante was very steady and played at a good pace. I thought you had good control over the Vivace.

47. mahlzeit - Diminished

This really could stand on its own as an etude. A great bit of improvisation with a beautiful melody. Very impressive.

48. Seaside_Lee - How Deep Is Your Love

I like your take on this especially the slowed down tempo which gives it more of a ballad feel. Really nice work.

49. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - In The Still of the Night

Dennis, the dialog between the left and right hand was excellent. Very smooth and lyrical performance. These are tough songs (standards) to be original with, but you seemed to make it your own.

50. Piano*Dad - La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin

I think you did a great job. Very connected and with wonderful phrasing. Your touch is excellent, light and airy which is so critical for this piece.

#1000516 - 08/27/08 09:24 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Frank:
Looking forward to Nov. 15th ( my piece is already recorded! \:\) [/b]
You are kidding!! You'll just have to post this recording in the piano bar instead. Because by 11/15, you will have improved by 2.5 months, so you'll have to record something much closer to the 11/15 date. (OK, OK, I won't bug, eh, I mean nudge, you, and you won't nudge me... :p )

#1000517 - 08/27/08 10:03 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by John Frank:
Looking forward to Nov. 15th ( my piece is already recorded! \:\) [/b]
You are kidding!! You'll just have to post this recording in the piano bar instead. Because by 11/15, you will have improved by 2.5 months, so you'll have to record something much closer to the 11/15 date. (OK, OK, I won't bug, eh, I mean nudge, you, and you won't nudge me... :p ) [/b]
Rosanna! You're so witty and cute I could just give you a great big bear nudge, er, a, hug! \:D

Your posts are just like your Recital pieces - an absolute joy! But, I still love being the "nudger" when you're the "nudgee" ;\)

Actually I have pieces already recorded for the next 6 Piano Bars and - although I know you don't really want to hear this - for the Feb. 15, 2009 Recital as well! \:D

The word "procrastinate" is just not in my vocabulary \:\)

With recording-like-a-maniac regards, JF

#1000518 - 08/27/08 02:13 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

JohnFrank,
One of the purposes of the recitals is for members to showcase their progress over time. You cannot [stomp foot, pound fist] use "stale" pieces recorded months ahead of time! [BIG NUDGE] (Getting even is the name of the game here. \:D ) Anyway, I am sure if Mr. Hunky is reading this, he will fully concur with me.

#1000519 - 08/28/08 01:07 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
JohnFrank,
One of the purposes of the recitals is for members to showcase their progress over time. You cannot [stomp foot, pound fist] use "stale" pieces recorded months ahead of time! [BIG NUDGE] (Getting even is the name of the game here. \:D ) Anyway, I am sure if Mr. Hunky is reading this, he will fully concur with me. [/b]
Well, Mr. Super-Hunky can concurr all he wants - Mr. Super-Chunky (that's me) will not be intimidated - and Stale? Ha! No chance - My pieces are always as piping hot and fresh as stickey buns right out of the oven! (and just as delectable) :p

#1000520 - 08/28/08 07:31 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Eighty8 Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH
Here are a few more comments.

16. Jinbo - Moment Musicaux No. 3 in F Minor[/b] Your dynamics come through even over a mobile phone.

17. dannylux/Mel - Kalinnikov Moderato in e flat minor[/b] Impressive

18. bluekeys - Mariage D'amour[/b] Sometimes “romantic” is what the audience wants, so having it in your rep is valuable. Your playing was nice.

19. Casyopea - Prelude in C Major BWV 846 (from Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I)[/b] You should be very proud, that was really good. BTW I though you would be playing a casio keyboard because of your name "Casyopea". What does "Casyopea" mean?

20. rustyfingers - Root Beer Rag[/b] A happy spirited performance.

21. Euan Morrison - Piano Ballet[/b] Still waiting for the last chord to resolve. Never heard this before, I liked it.

22. DragonPianoPlayer - The Mechanical Doll[/b] Nice staccato, and dynamics.

23. Euphonatrix - Sonatina in F, WoO, Anh. 5, No. 2[/b] You nailed it. Good job.

24. AdagioM (Michele) - Adagio from Sonata No. 48, Hob. XVI/35[/b] You bring out the melody and play with a consistent tempo.

25. mlr1899 - Sensation[/b] You deserve that positive feedback, I enjoyed this.

26. Gary001 - Theme in F Major[/b] Good rhythm, you have good hands-together coordination.

27. rocky - Evacuee[/b] (to do)

28. Serge88 - The Long And Winding Road[/b] Lovely. Sorry that I can't see video [youtube blocked by IT here at work]

29. angelojf - "Here Comes the Sun"[/b] Another Beatles tune, yea. Hope you can find a better recording method next time, too much tape noise IMHO.

30. kawaigirl1 - Leo[/b] Very nice.

31. Orez Eno - Two Timing, Op.134 No.6[/b] Good job.

32. Undone (Jim) - Night Song[/b] Glad you chose this to share with PW. Nice work.

33. AnthonyB - I due fiumi. Nicely done.

34. Strat - Wind Crest (from Final Fantasy X-2)[/b] How wonderful that you can play the piece that inspired you to learn the piano. Thanks for sharing.

35. jotur - Cathy Turner - (This is Not Your Mother's) Black and White Rag[/b] Your bass line sounds pretty good to me.

36. Eighty8 - Letter From Home

37. epf - Music of the Night[/b] Nice arrangement and played with good dynamic control.

38. Copper - Stardust[/b] This is one of my favorite standards.

39. Pevawi / Peter - Für Elise[/b] What's a recital without this gem? I encourage to keep practicing the hard parts [slowly] and in time you will have them mastered.

40. gerg aka Greg - Nocturne Op. 37 No. 2[/b] Not sure what "conventional home studio setup to PC" means, but the recording sounded clear to me and well played.

41. Fillanzea (Emily) - Sunburst Waltz[/b] Sounded like you are having fun playing this. It was so short I had to play it twice.

42. RobM - Suteki Da Ne[/b] (to do)

43. tekkie - Opus #18[/b] Consistent tempo and you brought out the melody. Good job.

44. PianoN00b (Yang) - Midnight Rhapsody[/b] (to do)

45. joangolfing - Hymn to Joy[/b] My last piano teacher told me over and over, so I will pass it along to you "bring out the melody". Good job over all.

46. Paul Cast - Sonatina Op.36 No.1 Allegro, Andente, Vivace[/b] I really like your dynamics.

47. mahlzeit - Diminished[/b] (to do) Enjoyed this.

48. Seaside_Lee - How Deep Is Your Love[/b] Nice, easy to listen to.

49. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - In The Still of the Night[/b] Good job.

50. Piano*Dad - La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin[/b] Excellent

51. GregF - Pastorale Op.100, No. 3[/b] (to do)

52. Mistaya (Caroline) - Notturno op.54 no.4[/b] (to do)

53. IPIBAHN (Sandy) - Jazz Hymn[/b] You play with a lot of feeling. I wish it was a longer piece.

54. DeepElem (aka Buck) - Cinema Paradiso[/b] When the pieces are short, I just have to play them twice. I enjoyed it.

55. Greywullf - No. 3 Canzone Amorosa[/b] (to do)

56. Jeff (Opus45) - Barcarolle (June, from the Seasons)[/b] (to do)

57. polostrings - Waiting for Arrival[/b] Wow, My daughter is expecting and as I listen and read about your composition, I can relate because today 8/28/08 is her due date. This will be our third grand child. Nice playing.

#1000521 - 08/28/08 09:07 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
gerg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Houston, TX
Eighty8 - congratulations on the new grandchild! \:D

Don't click here!

#1000522 - 08/28/08 12:15 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
JohnFrank,
One of the purposes of the recitals is for members to showcase their progress over time. You cannot [stomp foot, pound fist] use "stale" pieces recorded months ahead of time! [BIG NUDGE] (Getting even is the name of the game here. ) Anyway, I am sure if Mr. Hunky is reading this, he will fully concur with me.

Rosanna, I am reading this and of course FULLY agree. Pre-recording piano pieces for future use, especially at the beginer level is simply counter productive. It's like saying there's no way I will improve in the future so I'll just record everything now since I am an accomplished pianist with several *months* experience under my belt!.

I mean, how do you even have a discussion with this mindset?

#1000523 - 08/28/08 01:34 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Eighty8 Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH
Thanks Gerg,
as yet [8:30 PM] we are still "waiting for arrival" and hoping he will be born today because 8/28/08 is a lucky number and it will also be easy to remember with all those eights.

#1000524 - 08/28/08 01:54 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Well, SuperHunky, I guess we could honestly say that his new pieces sound just as good as the last recital. ;\)

#1000525 - 08/28/08 01:57 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Skipping around a bit...

#1. Beautiful!!!
#2. Mati... You NAILED the first movement! I used to play this and I wish I could have done it as well as you. You are right on with your interpretation.
#3. Monica, every time I hear your recital pieces I think i have to find the music and play it... I'm moved every time. Wonderful playing!
#4. Wow. Very dreamy. Very well played. thanks.
#5. I love that prelude... and you obviously do too. Fantastic! You really caught it.
#6.Laura... that is REALLY fun.
#7.SH- Nice composition. It has a very dreamy quality. It's easy to sit back while listening and imagine all sorts of scenerios.
#8. wow... too early in the morning for a drink but this just makes me want to mix a martini and stand on the deck watching the sunset... \:\)
#9.John, I LOVE this etude. In fact I'm working on it for the etude recital. You are really getting it but I know how tough it is. I agree with Chopin... I think the melody is one of his most beautiful.

#1000526 - 08/28/08 04:44 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
JohnFrank,
One of the purposes of the recitals is for members to showcase their progress over time. You cannot [stomp foot, pound fist] use "stale" pieces recorded months ahead of time! [BIG NUDGE] (Getting even is the name of the game here. ) Anyway, I am sure if Mr. Hunky is reading this, he will fully concur with me.

Rosanna, I am reading this and of course FULLY agree. Pre-recording piano pieces for future use, especially at the beginer level is simply counter productive. It's like saying there's no way I will improve in the future so I'll just record everything now since I am an accomplished pianist with several *months* experience under my belt!.

I mean, how do you even have a discussion with this mindset? [/b]
Good grief Rosanna! You just had to go and mention Mr SH's name Now, look what happened :rolleyes: He jumps right into the middle of our on-going joke and seems oddly enough to have missed the whole crux of our "teasing" exchanges and the playfulness of our light-hearted banter \:\( Poor guy seems strangely to be taking it all so seriously

I guess he just came in a little too late to "get it" :p Like us I hope he's kidding too, but it's hard to tell - maybe his sense of humor is just so subtle that I'm the one that's just not getting it Otherwise, he would simply seem to be inexplicably small-minded and mean-spirited - and I'm sure he wouldn't want to appear as such. But it might be too late.

So, just to help Mr. SH out here (because he really seems to require it) I guess he needs to know that we've been exchanging a series of posts over the last two Recitals in which I've been "nudging" Rosanna to submit a piece (because alot of people want to hear her delightful playing) and she's been reluctantly doing so while all the time "complaining" about my "nudging", and is now starting to nudge me back. So, I thought I would "up the ante" by teasing her about already having a piece recorded for the next recital, which I thought would "aggitate" her even more (given her tendency to procrastinate until the last minute lately).

Now, while I do have a piece already recorded that I would have no hesitation about submitting to the next recital (several pieces actually) this is not to say that between now and then I wouldn't attempt other, more refined and polished recordings of the same piece (although exactly how much such subsequent recordings would actually demonstrate how much I had improved over a 2 1/2 month period is highly debatable and dependent on several unpredictable factors). In fact I always work this way with regard to recital pieces, while at the same time moving forward on newer, more complex pieces in my piano studies.

Maybe this will help Mr. SH understand a little better the nature of our jesting post exchanges. Maybe not. If he was kidding too then he'll have to let us in on the joke. If he was serious then he seems to have a problem that not even he could probably explain, but which he needs to take elsewhere. If he can't have a discussion with this "mindset" then he simply needs to stop trying and take his posts elsewhere also.

Regards, JF

#1000527 - 08/28/08 05:05 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
John Frank,

You obviously seem to have some uncontrollable obsession with me for some reason by the amount of times you mentioned my name in the post above.

If you have some private thing going on with another member that I/we don't fully understand, maybe you guys should get a room somewhere and continue your private discussions but to try and instigate a fight on the recital replies is just pathetic. This simply is not the place for this.

How about showing just a hint of tact and P.M me if you really need to.

#1000528 - 08/29/08 12:54 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Mr. SH - this is really getting tedious, both for me and I'm sure for other Forum members who inadvertently come upon these irrational posts of yours. I'll try once more to explain it all to you (although I don't hold out much hope for "getting through" to you). There's an old saying that applies here about "quitting while you're behind" that you might want to take to heart.

First, I don't have an obsession with you - uncontrollable or otherwise. As far as I can remember this is the first time we've actually exchanged posts directly. And mentioning your name 3 times in a rather long post hardly constitutes obsession either. I've enjoyed many of your posts in the past and your Recital pieces, but certainly didn't obsessively "hang on your every word".

Second, I wasn't trying to instigate a fight with you (it actually seems like the other way around) but was merely trying to straighten you out (and perhaps chastize you mildly and deservedly) when you jumped into the middle of a long series of light-hearted, kidding, amusing and pleasant post exchanges between me and another member, completely misunderstood the situation and then offered your own smart-assed, nasty little appraisal based on your complete lack of knowledge about the dialog that was going on between us for some time in various threads. There's another old saying that applies here at this point and that's the one that talks about "putting your brain in gear before putting you mouth in motion" which you also might want to keep in mind.

The bottom line: I was going along "minding my own business" posting away, you "butted in", you didn't "get it", you were "out of line" and "off base" with your terse and unhelpful comments, I "called" you on your rudeness and "put you in your place".

And now you're compounding your insulting behavior by (1) accusing me of being "obsessed"; (2) trying to "pick a fight" with you, and (3) insinuating that a series of hunmerous post exchanges between two members constitutes some sort of overt sexual tension between us that requires a room for it's final consummation (for which you might owe the other member in question an apology).

And then you want me to be "tactful"!? Good Grief!

Hopefully you now get it. So, let's just let it go and move on (before you say something else you'll later regret).

With no more to say about this, no PMs to send and Regards, JF

#1000529 - 08/29/08 02:32 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Strat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
John Frank,...

1st of all, mr_super-hunky didn't instigate anything. For examples of insulting behavior, look into your own previous post. Posting stuff like "Otherwise, he would simply seem to be inexplicably small-minded and mean-spirited - and I'm sure he wouldn't want to appear as such. But it might be too late." serves no purpose but to take jabs at somebody without provocation. I guess in your world, slapping a person across the face (verbally or otherwise) automatically meets with a nod & a smile. In real-life things are very different. You might want to take that into consideration before acting appalled at somebody's reaction to your insulting remarks.

2nd of all, this is a *public* forum. Maybe you should learn the difference between the terms "public" & "private" before jumping down somebody's throat for "butting in." Allow me to link you to www.dictionary.com so you can further educate yourself about this. If you don't want anybody to see your posts or add their 2 cents' worth in the conversation, take it to PM (the "P" stands for "private," FYI)... just as MrSH suggested. Oh, the horror!

Finally, I run my own msg board aimed at guitarists, another faction of the music field. If one of its members were to get his panties in a knot over something so insanely trivial, I'd tell him to perhaps go somewhere else as clearly, a forum filled with mature adults isn't for him.

Maybe you'd like to add "Grow a thicker skin" on your list of life lessons from Kindergarden. Ranting & raving like an overcaffeinated child is only making you look bad. To be blunt, you're making a rear-end of yourself right now. I'd suggest deleting your posts, unless you enjoy the taste of your feet in your mouth.

If anybody's been irrational it's you. I actually shook my head in total disbelief after reading your post.

With entirely discouraged regards, Strat.

#1000530 - 08/29/08 02:58 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
GregF Offline

Loc: South Carolina
First, thanks again to the organizers. Second, I am really impressed by the quality of the playing. I am especially impressed by some of the short timers - True Beginner's playing and Polostrings compositions. Very inspiring. Third, I listened to eveyone, but my comments may be on the short side.

Finally, apparently I'm a Manndrew groupie. My favorite last recital was Manndrew's Long and Window Road version. This time, I listened to all the pieces and and decided Crazy was my favorite, despite not really liking this classic tune. I then went to look to see who played it and saw Manndrew. So, I'm officially a groupie, I guess.

Keep up the good work, everyone.

01. Mark... - Prelude in D minor[/b]
Good job. Gives me something to look forward to in Alfred 3.

02. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Sonata No. 14 'Moonlight' in C# minor, Op. 27 No. 2: Adagio Sostenuto[/b]
Nice playing.

03. Monica K. - Nuvole Bianche[/b]
I enjoyed this very much.

04. Lisztener - Whistling Away the Dark[/b]
That is a really nice job of improvisation.

05. LisztAddict - Prelude Op 28 No 13[/b]
Well done.

06. Laura D - Tarantella[/b]
Wow. How do you develop that speed?

07. Mr Super-hunky - Imaginations[/b] (to do)
Amazing

08. Riddler (Ed) - I Remember Clifford[/b]
You made it sound so effortless.

09. John Frank - Etude, Op.10, No.3 (Theme)[/b]
Loved the soft touch toward the end. You have me looking forward to this as I go through Alfred 2.

10. True Beginner - Les Fleurs Sauvages ( Wild Flowers )[/b]
Please change your name to Talented Beginner. Very nice. I'm starting not to believe the "only 6 months" playing. :-)

11. laValse - Prelude Op 40 #3[/b]
Well done.

12. Peyton - A House at the End of the World[/b]
Very cool

13. Ted Stanion - La fille aux cheveux de lin[/b]
Dreamy. Very Nice.

14. b528nf7 - Bill Moore - Piano Bar Theme[/b]
That was funny. Nice job.

15. Schubertian - J S Bach - Prelude & Fugue #15 in G Major; WTC II[/b]
Excellent

16. Jinbo - Moment Musicaux No. 3 in F Minor[/b]
well done

17. dannylux/Mel - Kalinnikov Moderato in e flat minor[/b]
Nice touch.

18. bluekeys - Mariage D'amour[/b]
Very nice. Way to play that crap. :-)

19. Casyopea - Prelude in C Major BWV 846 (from Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I)[/b]
Nice even tempo. Great playing for such a short time at the piano.

20. rustyfingers - Root Beer Rag[/b]
WOW!

21. Euan Morrison - Piano Ballet[/b]
Great tempo. Nice piece.

22. DragonPianoPlayer - The Mechanical Doll[/b]
Interesting sound.

23. Euphonatrix - Sonatina in F, WoO, Anh. 5, No. 2[/b]
Well done. I enjoyed it very much.

24. AdagioM (Michele) - Adagio from Sonata No. 48, Hob. XVI/35[/b]
Well done. Very enjoyable.

25. mlr1899 - Sensation[/b]
Very catchy. Good job.

26. Gary001 - Theme in F Major[/b]
Nicely done for such a short time at the piano.

27. rocky - Evacuee[/b]
Well done.

28. Serge88 - The Long And Winding Road[/b]
One of my favorite Beatles tunes. Nice version.

29. angelojf - "Here Comes the Sun"[/b]
nicely done. I really liked the way the recording came out. Kind of like listening to an old 45.

30. kawaigirl1 - Leo[/b]
Your touch is amazing. Can you make some videos of your playing?

31. Orez Eno - Two Timing, Op.134 No.6[/b]
Very nice playing. I was surprised at the 9 months experience. Keep it up!

32. Undone (Jim) - Night Song[/b]
Well done. This was one of my favorties so far in Alfred's 2.

33. AnthonyB - I due fiumi[/b]
Well done. Sounds like you have developed a nice touch for such a short time playing.

34. Strat - Wind Crest (from Final Fantasy X-2)[/b] (to do)
Great emotion, I thought.

35. jotur - Cathy Turner - (This is Not Your Mother's) Black and White Rag[/b]
I enjoyed this. I was impressed by your ability to add a rag bass line.

36. Eighty8 - Letter From Home[/b]
Very enjoyable. Good job.

37. epf - Music of the Night[/b]
Well played.

38. Copper - Stardust[/b]
Nicely done.

39. Pevawi / Peter - Für Elise[/b]
Good job.

40. gerg aka Greg - Nocturne Op. 37 No. 2[/b]
Wow. Nice job.

41. Fillanzea (Emily) - Sunburst Waltz[/b]
Pretty nifty.

42. RobM - Suteki Da Ne[/b]
Very well done.

43. tekkie - Opus #18[/b]
Nice and steady. Well done.

44. PianoN00b (Yang) - Midnight Rhapsody[/b]
Excellent. You are progressing so fast. Keep it up.

45. joangolfing - Hymn to Joy[/b]
I enjoyed this tune a lot.

46. Paul Cast - Sonatina Op.36 No.1 Allegro, Andente, Vivace[/b]
Good job. 3rd movement sounded just fine to me.

47. mahlzeit - Diminished[/b]
I enjoyed your improv.

48. Seaside_Lee - How Deep Is Your Love[/b]
Your playing is always inspirational. Thanks!

49. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - In The Still of the Night[/b]
Well done.

50. Piano*Dad - La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin[/b] (to do)
Well done.

51. GregF - Pastorale Op.100, No. 3[/b]
Try to play something over 2 minutes next time!

52. Mistaya (Caroline) - Notturno op.54 no.4[/b]
Nice touch.

53. IPIBAHN (Sandy) - Jazz Hymn[/b]
Well done.

54. DeepElem (aka Buck) - Cinema Paradiso[/b]
Well done.

55. Greywullf - No. 3 Canzone Amorosa[/b]
Well done.

56. Jeff (Opus45) - Barcarolle (June, from the Seasons)[/b]
Well done. Doesn't seem too technically advanced for you.

57. polostrings - Waiting for Arrival[/b]
I'm impressed with your originals. keep it up.

58. Kawai, Hi - Raindrop Prelude[/b]
Well done.

59. Mike White - Scherzino Mexicano[/b]
Well done.

60. Rosanna - Shanghai Tan[/b]
Nice touch.

61. ddh - Daniel - Londonderry Air[/b]
Nicely done.

62. YD (Yuri) - Mozart, Sonata K545, Andante[/b]
Well played.

63. Manndrew - Crazy[/b]
Wow. I think this is my favorite of the recital.

64. Ozor Mox - Waltz in D flat major (Petit Chien/Minute Waltz)[/b] (to do)
Wow. That was cool.

65. Hisalone (Joel) - Hungarian Dance No. 5[/b]
Nicely done. You are progressing well.

66. EJR - Everyday[/b]
Well played. I hope to add this one to the repertoire in a few years.

67. Ovaltine - Nocturne #2, Op.9 No.2[/b]
Great playing.

68. Signal - Leave on the Siene[/b]
Well done.

69. karaeloko - Träumerei[/b]
Well done. I liked your touch and the pace of the music.

GregF

#1000531 - 08/29/08 03:41 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Thanks to everyone for your comments so far

I've just added further comments up to and including 35. Jotur (Cathy)

Sorry I'm busy at the moment but, I'll get them all listened to and my comments posted as soon as I can

Lee \:\)

#1000532 - 08/29/08 03:57 AM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Strat Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Thank you, GregF for putting us back on track. This thread is after all for exchanges about the recital.

I also thank you for your kind words about my recording. Don't consider myself to be of the same caliber of many who frequent this forum, but it's nice to know I'm on the right track. \:\)

I'd also like to take the opportunity to thank everybody who took the time to give feedback to anybody who submitted a piece. It is, after all, what most of us are after. Thank you for listening and commenting. PW does wonders for stimualting us, to strive to become better players.

I'm inspired to contribute to the next recital as well. \:\)

#1000533 - 08/29/08 03:00 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Manndrew Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
51. GregF - Pastorale Op.100, No. 3

Very steady. Good work blending the left and right hands together. Nice touch on the keyboard. The dynamics were fine as well.

52. Mistaya (Caroline) - Notturno op.54 no.4

Your shading was wonderful. Great work on the trills. Smooth and light. A very fine performance. I think you have an affinity for this type of music.

53. IPIBAHN (Sandy) - Jazz Hymn

My sympathies on the loss of your dog. Oftentimes the music we play directly represents our emotions at a given time. This is a beautiful theme. You played it with a simple, direct style that fit perfectly. Well done.

54. DeepElem (aka Buck) - Cinema Paradiso

I was very much into this theme a while ago after seeing the film again. Still one of my favorite movies. You did a great interpretation. You took your time and kept the integrity of the theme in tact. Excellent dynamics. Please do a longer version sometime.

55. Greywullf - No. 3 Canzone Amorosa

Your tempo was excellent. Nice dramatic changes in dynamics as well. Quite an accomplished performance.

56. Jeff (Opus45) - Barcarolle (June, from the Seasons)

Excellent job. This sounds like a pretty tricky piece, but you handled all the changes in tempo, theme, and dynamics very well. Nice and even playing on the runs.

57. polostrings - Waiting for Arrival

Best wishes to you, your brother, and sister. Very nice composition. I particularly enjoyed your treatment of the left hand. Some interesting chords as well.

58. Kawai, Hi - Raindrop Prelude

You really don't sound that far from playing the original version. Your touch is nice and light for the piece. Good tempo and rhythm. You can do this.

59. Mike White - Scherzino Mexicano

You handled the tricky rhythms of this piece very well. You brought the music to life and energized it with fine shadings.

60. Rosanna - Shanghai Tan

It's so important to be introduced to new sounds and techniques. This is really pretty music and your interpretation seemed perfect. You have a fine command of the keyboard.

#1000534 - 08/29/08 03:34 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
ddh Offline

Loc: Abitibi
Second post of comments; I have to reiterate my feeling that there was an extraordinary abundance of great music in this recital; once again, congratulations to all...

24. AdagioM (Michele) - Adagio from Sonata No. 48, Hob. XVI/35[/b] Played with the most delicate of touch and a great deal of musicality. Well done. Thank you.

25. mlr1899 - Sensation[/b] I truly love this raggedy music but it is beyond me how anyone can play it, especially with the ease You demonstrate here. Very entertaining, thanks for sharing.

26. Gary001 - Theme in F Major[/b] Impeccable rhythm and tone; well done; thanks.

27. rocky - Evacuee[/b] Lovely music, Rocky; very pleasant indeed; thank You.

28. Serge88 - The Long And Winding Road[/b] Good arrangement and well played; hope You will include it in Angelo's Beatles thread, come september; thanks.

29. angelojf - "Here Comes the Sun"[/b] Nicely done, Angelo; like the old radio sound that your recording adds; one more for Your thread. Thank You.

30. kawaigirl1 - Leo[/b] Yours is always a piece I am eager to listen to; you always articulate each note so precisely that a jewel of a piece emerges each time; thank You for sharing Your masterfully played music.

31. Orez Eno - Two Timing, Op.134 No.6[/b] A steady rhythmical left hand and a musical right make for a very interesting and enjoyable piece. Loved it; thanks Orez.

32. Undone (Jim) - Night Song[/b] Quite good interpretation, Jim; enjoyed it much; thanks.

33. AnthonyB - I due fiumi[/b] That is very good Anthony; you convey the atmosphere of this piece very well indeed; thank You for sharing.

34. Strat - Wind Crest (from Final Fantasy X-2)[/b] Another moody piece of fantasy; your playing is quite evocative; awesome playing; great job; thanks.

35. jotur - Cathy Turner - (This is Not Your Mother's) Black and White Rag[/b] Very enjoyable rag, Cathy; well done; thanks.

36. Eighty8 - Letter From Home[/b] O.K. Great stuff; thanks.

37. epf - Music of the Night[/b] This is one of my favorites by Lloyd Weber; loved the ending (and the rest); thanks.

38. Copper - Stardust[/b] Nicely done Copper; thanks.

39. Pevawi / Peter - F¸r Elise[/b] Not easy, that; great effort; thanks.

40. gerg aka Greg - Nocturne Op. 37 No. 2[/b] Anyone who can play Chopin this well deserves my warmest congratulations. Thank You for it.

41. Fillanzea (Emily) - Sunburst Waltz[/b] Bouncy little piece; quite enjoyable thank You.

42. RobM - Suteki Da Ne[/b] Lovely piece executed with a deft touch. Thanks.

43. tekkie - Opus #18[/b] Type of piece that sends me daydreaming of travels on long strait roads going nowhere. Well done. Thank You.

44. PianoN00b (Yang) - Midnight Rhapsody[/b] Another dreamy piece soooooooo well executed. Your moniker is definitely outdated; good show. Thanks.

45. joangolfing - Hymn to Joy[/b] Impossible accompaniment gives this piece a peculiar feeling. Very well done nonetheless. Thanks.

46. Paul Cast - Sonatina Op.36 No.1 Allegro, Andente, Vivace[/b] Broke my teeth on that one last year; so, I appreciate the effort and skill necessary to play it that well. Bravo. Enjoyed it much. Thanks for the lesson.

Third set to come.

#1000535 - 08/30/08 04:19 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
Orez Eno Offline

Loc: New England
 Quote:
bluekeys wrote:[/b]

I hope you do learn Comptine. It's really not very hard. Just be patient and drill the left hand until you can do it semi-consciously, and within a few weeks it should all come together.
Thank you for this encouragement. Your response demonstrates how these Piano World recitals are so effective for improving the playing abilities of beginners like myself. I have obtained the sheet music and I have found that you were essentially correct to encourage me to try it. Of course it will be a challenge for me. This is no “Row, Row Your Boat” exercise. But I am pleasantly surprised to see that it is approachable for a person at my level. I agree with your strategy of drilling the left hand first. It will take some work before I can do it, as you say, semi-consciously. Indeed, it may take a bit more than the few weeks that you predict. Yet, even at this early stage I can sense it beginning to happen.

As I continued to improve over these last few months I knew it was inevitable that I would eventually try this favorite piece. But your encouragement has made it happen a lot sooner.

I also thank you for your insight into Tiersen’s music. I can see that your appreciation is more profound than mine. Rather than hope for a better future you simply accept the inevitability of despair and you try to live with it as best you can. As a beginner in music it is important that I hear such interpretations. Although I am strongly attracted to Tiersen’s music, as well as to a lot of similar sounding music that I hear performed here at Piano World, I actually do not know very much about it. I admit that my previous interpretation was based only on my own reflections.

#1000536 - 09/01/08 12:44 PM Re: Recital 11 -- General Discussion Room
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Thanks everyone for their comments, I really do appreciate them.

I have listened to the entire recital and I have to say that everyone is improving tremendously. I especially enjoyed the original compositions. Please keep them up, these were some of my favorite pieces from this recital.

Rich

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Has anyone tried out wireless USB hubs (low-latency)?
by Allan W.
09/19/14 02:34 AM
What books do you use for teaching beginners?
by Daffodil
09/19/14 12:54 AM
Help buying digital piano for my son
by roomservicetaco
09/18/14 11:54 PM
Headphone impedance for DP90se
by lunobili
09/18/14 10:29 PM
A Simulation Investigating the Source of Inharmonicity
by PaintedPostDave
09/18/14 10:18 PM
Who's Online
85 registered (Allan W., ando, antony, allakart, AEMontoya, 22 invisible), 934 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76250 Members
42 Forums
157617 Topics
2315155 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission