2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 17 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I want to thank everyone who took the time to comment on my submital and gave me encouraging and positive remarks. You all keep me inspired.

I haven't yet started to listen to any recital pieces yet! Yikes. (Too much time in front of the TV watching the Olympics.) Anyway, since jotur submitted her comments for an earlier recital almost 3 months after the fact, I figure I have some slack time yet!

[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by Rosanna:
Anyway, since jotur submitted her comments for an earlier recital almost 3 months after the fact, I figure I have some slack time yet!
And being "in Beijing" is at least as good an excuse as being in New Zealand was -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by bluekeys:
Originally posted by Key Notes:
[b]
True Beginner and Bluekeys: I guess I've always had an absolute weekness for the romantics as well, so Paul De Senneville & Olivier Toussaint are definitely my heroes. 3hearts

"Les Fleur Sauvages" is absolutely beautiful, and I've been listening to "Marriage D'amour" for who knows how many times by now. I'm definitely with your teacher here Bluekeys. wink

Thank you, Key Notes, for the kind words and repeated listenings. In case it wasn't already clear, my comment about my teacher's romantic taste was tongue-in-cheek. She is a great teacher and has given me an appreciation for a lot of music I once dismissed as fluff. I now have 3 Senneville/Toussaint pieces that I play regularly and enjoy them all immensely. [/b]
bluekeys,

Thank you for the clarifications regarding your comment but absolutely uneccessary since I also took it as such. While it's obvious that I must clarify mine. It was also given in a light-hearted nature and if you did not received it as such then please accept my apologies for being ambiguous. It was merely meant to represent our common interests in enjoying this area of music.

I look forward to hearing many more of your beautiful recordings.

Best regard,

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
Hello Everyone,

I just listened to all these fine recital pieces and was overwhelmed! What an inspiration you all are and I really enjoy reading the discussions.

I've been mostly a viewer here for about a year when I picked piano back up after a long layoff. Found this site when researching a piano purchase and that was very helpful.

Anyway, I am now extra motivated to practice and try new things - especially love the Einaudi pieces!

And when I heard "Imaginations - #07", I searched for it online assuming it was a "professional" composition but went back and read that it was the original work of Mr S-H - wow!

What a neat thing to have available to us adult beginners - some of you are most definitely not beginners any longer but I guess that's a relative term.

Now to search for a piece I can try for the next recital...

Have a great day!

Whatever you do, do it from the heart...
[Linked Image]
O
O
I've finally found the time to make some individual comments, more coming later...

01. Mark... - Prelude in D minor
Very relaxing piece and nice even playing.

02. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Sonata No. 14 'Moonlight' in C# minor, Op. 27 No. 2: Adagio Sostenuto
Very accurate and sensitive playing. My only criticism would be the same thing I always do on this piece, that I thought it was a bit loud and strong in places where I thought this was a p or pp piece all the way through? Maybe I am wrong, feel free to correct me! Really nice though, I enjoyed it.

03. Monica K. - Nuvole Bianche
Got to love Einaudi, one of my favourites of his! I've just noticed the chords at the beginning sound exactly like the main theme to Sunshine... Great arpeggios and playing!

04. Lisztener - Whistling Away the Dark
Wow what a fantastic piece, and played with such emotion. I loved it!

05. LisztAddict - Prelude Op 28 No 13
Lovely smooth playing and great control of dynamics.

06. Laura D - Tarantella
This sounded incredibly difficult, and yet you played it so smoothly. A couple of glitches in the middle I think, but nothing compared to what sounded spot on.

07. Mr Super-hunky - Imaginations
Highly enjoyable playing. I loved the chord change in the middle. I've also just read that it's an original piece, and it's an impressive one at that!

08. Riddler (Ed) - I Remember Clifford
Expertly played! I'm not usually that in to jazz, but this is a great melody.

09. John Frank - Etude, Op.10, No.3 (Theme)
It is indeed a beautiful piece. It seems like you could perhaps smooth this piece out a bit by using the pedal and playing a bit more lightly? I think you did a great job though.

10. True Beginner - Les Fleurs Sauvages ( Wild Flowers )
Very intense piece and definitely some non-beginner playing to match it!

11. laValse - Prelude Op 40 #3
Accurate and controlled playing.

12. Peyton - A House at the End of the World
Great composition. Some fantastic playing, and you can sing and play at the same time which is something I can't do! (though anything that stops me singing is a good thing!) I especially liked the end.

13. Ted Stanion - La fille aux cheveux de lin
Another piece I'd like to learn but haven't attempted yet, and this is just how I'd like to be able to play it! Spot on playing.

14. b528nf7 - Bill Moore - Piano Bar Theme
This is amazing and made me laugh in a very good way! Great playing and singing, I loved it!

15. Schubertian - J S Bach - Prelude & Fugue #15 in G Major; WTC II
I find Bach incredibly difficult to play evenly, and you did this so perfectly and for so long. Envy!

16. Jinbo - Moment Musicaux No. 3 in F Minor
I have recently had a go at this piece and cannot play it anything like this! Really energetic and fun. Please buy a Zoom H4 or something, this would sound so much better if it wasn't recorded with a mobile phone!

17. dannylux/Mel - Kalinnikov Moderato in e flat minor
This is a very beautiful piece and you played it very beautifully and came out with a flawless performance.

18. bluekeys - Mariage D'amour
Your description made me laugh! Nonetheless, I rather liked the piece and your playing of it was very good indeed.

19. Casyopea - Prelude in C Major BWV 846 (from Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I)
I have been giving this piece a bash lately, and will be hoping to play it just like this. You play this so evenly it sounds great.

20. rustyfingers - Root Beer Rag
I have to say, not normally my kind of piece. But the dissonance and the energetic playing grabbed me and forced me to listen! I ended up really enjoying it. This must have taken some amazing technical skill.

21. Euan Morrison - Piano Ballet
Great playing and a really nice sounding piece.

22. DragonPianoPlayer - The Mechanical Doll
A very interesting sound this piece has, and I think you captured the mechanical sound by playing with solid timing and rhythm.

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
25. Wow...! Great job!! I keep wanting to play some ragtime and keep starting and giving up. You make it sound so easy.
24. I love Hayden and definitly do this piece justice.
23. Absolutley a fantastic job. You really captured the essence of this work. The piano sounded nice too. And so did your lunch!
22.Very interesting piece and good playing.
21. nice work. Wasnt' sure if by "transcription" you menat that you played this by ear or not but if by ear... extra credit! smile
20.Very different! Nice job.
19. It's funny but I can hear this over and over (and play it over and over) and i just can't stop loving it. Bach was a genius! You did the work justice. Nice recording too.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks to the organizers & operators of the recital; to all the other participants for their great music; and for all those who commented in general and on my performance in particular.

Looking forward to Nov. 15th (my piece is already recorded! smile :p (it's also my 3rd anniversary playing!)

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Reviews for #53 to #69 are completed.
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/7026/3.html

Thanks all so much for your kind words. They mean more than you know.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
41. Fillanzea (Emily) - Sunburst Waltz

A very spirited performance. Good control on those short runs. A really fun piece.

42. RobM - Suteki Da Ne

I think you did an excellent job in controlling the rhythm. Your touch and expression were very good. Overall a wonderful performance.

43. tekkie - Opus #18

A wonderful melody played with a steady forward moving motion. Very clear and even. Good job.

44. PianoN00b (Yang) - Midnight Rhapsody

Beautiful opening theme and a very unusual second theme. Good work on those runs. A bravo finish.

45. joangolfing - Hymn to Joy

This is an excellent arrangement. Good changes in rhythm and dynamics here. Quite a good effort for a piece of this length.

46. Paul Cast - Sonatina Op.36 No.1 Allegro, Andente, Vivace

The Allegro was excellent. Good technique with the Alberti base. The Andante was very steady and played at a good pace. I thought you had good control over the Vivace.

47. mahlzeit - Diminished

This really could stand on its own as an etude. A great bit of improvisation with a beautiful melody. Very impressive.

48. Seaside_Lee - How Deep Is Your Love

I like your take on this especially the slowed down tempo which gives it more of a ballad feel. Really nice work.

49. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - In The Still of the Night

Dennis, the dialog between the left and right hand was excellent. Very smooth and lyrical performance. These are tough songs (standards) to be original with, but you seemed to make it your own.

50. Piano*Dad - La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin

I think you did a great job. Very connected and with wonderful phrasing. Your touch is excellent, light and airy which is so critical for this piece.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by John Frank:
Looking forward to Nov. 15th ( my piece is already recorded! smile
You are kidding!! You'll just have to post this recording in the piano bar instead. Because by 11/15, you will have improved by 2.5 months, so you'll have to record something much closer to the 11/15 date. (OK, OK, I won't bug, eh, I mean nudge, you, and you won't nudge me... :p )

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by John Frank:
[b] Looking forward to Nov. 15th ( my piece is already recorded! smile
You are kidding!! You'll just have to post this recording in the piano bar instead. Because by 11/15, you will have improved by 2.5 months, so you'll have to record something much closer to the 11/15 date. (OK, OK, I won't bug, eh, I mean nudge, you, and you won't nudge me... :p ) [/b]
Rosanna! You're so witty and cute I could just give you a great big bear nudge, er, a, hug! laugh

Your posts are just like your Recital pieces - an absolute joy! But, I still love being the "nudger" when you're the "nudgee" wink

Actually I have pieces already recorded for the next 6 Piano Bars and - although I know you don't really want to hear this - for the Feb. 15, 2009 Recital as well! cool laugh thumb

The word "procrastinate" is just not in my vocabulary smile

With recording-like-a-maniac regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
JohnFrank,
One of the purposes of the recitals is for members to showcase their progress over time. You cannot [stomp foot, pound fist] use "stale" pieces recorded months ahead of time! [BIG NUDGE] (Getting even is the name of the game here. laugh ) Anyway, I am sure if Mr. Hunky is reading this, he will fully concur with me.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
JohnFrank,
One of the purposes of the recitals is for members to showcase their progress over time. You cannot [stomp foot, pound fist] use "stale" pieces recorded months ahead of time! [BIG NUDGE] (Getting even is the name of the game here. laugh ) Anyway, I am sure if Mr. Hunky is reading this, he will fully concur with me.
Well, Mr. Super-Hunky can concurr all he wants - Mr. Super-Chunky (that's me) will not be intimidated - and Stale? Ha! No chance - My pieces are always as piping hot and fresh as stickey buns right out of the oven! (and just as delectable) :p

Here are a few more comments.

16. Jinbo - Moment Musicaux No. 3 in F Minor Your dynamics come through even over a mobile phone.

17. dannylux/Mel - Kalinnikov Moderato in e flat minor Impressive

18. bluekeys - Mariage D'amour Sometimes “romantic” is what the audience wants, so having it in your rep is valuable. Your playing was nice.

19. Casyopea - Prelude in C Major BWV 846 (from Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I) You should be very proud, that was really good. BTW I though you would be playing a casio keyboard because of your name "Casyopea". What does "Casyopea" mean?

20. rustyfingers - Root Beer Rag A happy spirited performance.

21. Euan Morrison - Piano Ballet Still waiting for the last chord to resolve. Never heard this before, I liked it.

22. DragonPianoPlayer - The Mechanical Doll Nice staccato, and dynamics.

23. Euphonatrix - Sonatina in F, WoO, Anh. 5, No. 2 You nailed it. Good job.

24. AdagioM (Michele) - Adagio from Sonata No. 48, Hob. XVI/35 You bring out the melody and play with a consistent tempo.

25. mlr1899 - Sensation You deserve that positive feedback, I enjoyed this.

26. Gary001 - Theme in F Major Good rhythm, you have good hands-together coordination.

27. rocky - Evacuee (to do)

28. Serge88 - The Long And Winding Road Lovely. Sorry that I can't see video [youtube blocked by IT here at work]

29. angelojf - "Here Comes the Sun" Another Beatles tune, yea. Hope you can find a better recording method next time, too much tape noise IMHO.

30. kawaigirl1 - Leo Very nice.

31. Orez Eno - Two Timing, Op.134 No.6 Good job.

32. Undone (Jim) - Night Song Glad you chose this to share with PW. Nice work.

33. AnthonyB - I due fiumi. Nicely done.

[b]34. Strat - Wind Crest (from Final Fantasy X-2)
How wonderful that you can play the piece that inspired you to learn the piano. Thanks for sharing.

35. jotur - Cathy Turner - (This is Not Your Mother's) Black and White Rag Your bass line sounds pretty good to me.

36. Eighty8 - Letter From Home

[b]37. epf - Music of the Night
Nice arrangement and played with good dynamic control.

38. Copper - Stardust This is one of my favorite standards.

39. Pevawi / Peter - Für Elise What's a recital without this gem? I encourage to keep practicing the hard parts [slowly] and in time you will have them mastered.

40. gerg aka Greg - Nocturne Op. 37 No. 2 Not sure what "conventional home studio setup to PC" means, but the recording sounded clear to me and well played.

41. Fillanzea (Emily) - Sunburst Waltz Sounded like you are having fun playing this. It was so short I had to play it twice.

42. RobM - Suteki Da Ne (to do)

43. tekkie - Opus #18 Consistent tempo and you brought out the melody. Good job.

44. PianoN00b (Yang) - Midnight Rhapsody (to do)

45. joangolfing - Hymn to Joy My last piano teacher told me over and over, so I will pass it along to you "bring out the melody". Good job over all.

46. Paul Cast - Sonatina Op.36 No.1 Allegro, Andente, Vivace I really like your dynamics.

47. mahlzeit - Diminished (to do) Enjoyed this.

48. Seaside_Lee - How Deep Is Your Love Nice, easy to listen to.

49. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - In The Still of the Night Good job.

50. Piano*Dad - La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin Excellent

51. GregF - Pastorale Op.100, No. 3 (to do)

52. Mistaya (Caroline) - Notturno op.54 no.4 (to do)

53. IPIBAHN (Sandy) - Jazz Hymn You play with a lot of feeling. I wish it was a longer piece.

54. DeepElem (aka Buck) - Cinema Paradiso When the pieces are short, I just have to play them twice. I enjoyed it.

55. Greywullf - No. 3 Canzone Amorosa (to do)

56. Jeff (Opus45) - Barcarolle (June, from the Seasons) (to do)

57. polostrings - Waiting for Arrival Wow, My daughter is expecting and as I listen and read about your composition, I can relate because today 8/28/08 is her due date. This will be our third grand child. Nice playing.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Eighty8 - congratulations on the new grandchild! laugh

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
JohnFrank,
One of the purposes of the recitals is for members to showcase their progress over time. You cannot [stomp foot, pound fist] use "stale" pieces recorded months ahead of time! [BIG NUDGE] (Getting even is the name of the game here. ) Anyway, I am sure if Mr. Hunky is reading this, he will fully concur with me.

Rosanna, I am reading this and of course FULLY agree. Pre-recording piano pieces for future use, especially at the beginer level is simply counter productive. It's like saying there's no way I will improve in the future so I'll just record everything now since I am an accomplished pianist with several *months* experience under my belt!.

I mean, how do you even have a discussion with this mindset? confused

Thanks Gerg,
as yet [8:30 PM] we are still "waiting for arrival" and hoping he will be born today because 8/28/08 is a lucky number and it will also be easy to remember with all those eights.

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, SuperHunky, I guess we could honestly say that his new pieces sound just as good as the last recital. wink

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Skipping around a bit...

#1. Beautiful!!!
#2. Mati... You NAILED the first movement! I used to play this and I wish I could have done it as well as you. You are right on with your interpretation.
#3. Monica, every time I hear your recital pieces I think i have to find the music and play it... I'm moved every time. Wonderful playing!
#4. Wow. Very dreamy. Very well played. thanks.
#5. I love that prelude... and you obviously do too. Fantastic! You really caught it.
#6.Laura... that is REALLY fun.
#7.SH- Nice composition. It has a very dreamy quality. It's easy to sit back while listening and imagine all sorts of scenerios.
#8. wow... too early in the morning for a drink but this just makes me want to mix a martini and stand on the deck watching the sunset... smile
#9.John, I LOVE this etude. In fact I'm working on it for the etude recital. You are really getting it but I know how tough it is. I agree with Chopin... I think the melody is one of his most beautiful.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
JohnFrank,
One of the purposes of the recitals is for members to showcase their progress over time. You cannot [stomp foot, pound fist] use "stale" pieces recorded months ahead of time! [BIG NUDGE] (Getting even is the name of the game here. ) Anyway, I am sure if Mr. Hunky is reading this, he will fully concur with me.

Rosanna, I am reading this and of course FULLY agree. Pre-recording piano pieces for future use, especially at the beginer level is simply counter productive. It's like saying there's no way I will improve in the future so I'll just record everything now since I am an accomplished pianist with several *months* experience under my belt!.

I mean, how do you even have a discussion with this mindset? confused
Good grief Rosanna! You just had to go and mention Mr SH's name eek Now, look what happened :rolleyes: He jumps right into the middle of our on-going joke and seems oddly enough to have missed the whole crux of our "teasing" exchanges and the playfulness of our light-hearted banter frown Poor guy seems strangely to be taking it all so seriously confused

I guess he just came in a little too late to "get it" :p Like us I hope he's kidding too, but it's hard to tell - maybe his sense of humor is just so subtle that I'm the one that's just not getting it help Otherwise, he would simply seem to be inexplicably small-minded and mean-spirited - and I'm sure he wouldn't want to appear as such. But it might be too late.

So, just to help Mr. SH out here (because he really seems to require it) I guess he needs to know that we've been exchanging a series of posts over the last two Recitals in which I've been "nudging" Rosanna to submit a piece (because alot of people want to hear her delightful playing) and she's been reluctantly doing so while all the time "complaining" about my "nudging", and is now starting to nudge me back. So, I thought I would "up the ante" by teasing her about already having a piece recorded for the next recital, which I thought would "aggitate" her even more (given her tendency to procrastinate until the last minute lately).

Now, while I do have a piece already recorded that I would have no hesitation about submitting to the next recital (several pieces actually) this is not to say that between now and then I wouldn't attempt other, more refined and polished recordings of the same piece (although exactly how much such subsequent recordings would actually demonstrate how much I had improved over a 2 1/2 month period is highly debatable and dependent on several unpredictable factors). In fact I always work this way with regard to recital pieces, while at the same time moving forward on newer, more complex pieces in my piano studies.

Maybe this will help Mr. SH understand a little better the nature of our jesting post exchanges. Maybe not. If he was kidding too then he'll have to let us in on the joke. If he was serious then he seems to have a problem that not even he could probably explain, but which he needs to take elsewhere. If he can't have a discussion with this "mindset" then he simply needs to stop trying and take his posts elsewhere also.

Regards, JF

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission