Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1000766 - 12/15/08 05:33 PM method series
erz Offline

What method series would you recommend?

What do you thing about Hanon exercises?

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1000767 - 12/15/08 06:06 PM Re: method series
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Are you an adult or a child? What route do you want to take (play-by-ear, classical, jazz, ?)? Any previous experience? You need to supply a lot more information.

Hanon seems to have a mixed popularity here--personally, my teachers like him because his exercises strengthen the arm and fingers, rather than because of the technique they teach.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.

#1000768 - 12/16/08 01:55 PM Re: method series
erz Offline

Unfortunately, I am a child that is about 18 years old.

I don't have previous experience and I love Chopin's music.

I don't know how I would survive the next year without learnig piano.

#1000769 - 12/16/08 05:00 PM Re: method series
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

18, near the same boat as me. Are you in high school or college? Do you have any opportunity to take a college Beginning Piano class? That may be a great option for you--not only will the book be chosen, but it will also give you a teacher for 16 weeks for anywhere from $20 to $40 with some small chances to perform.

Personally, I use "Alfred's All-In-One" because that is what was required in my class. I also own a few children's series (my brother) and have to say I like Faber's and Faber's Piano Adventures A LOT (Start with Primer, or even "Older Beginner", rather than Adult, I'd say, for a gradual pace instead of the huge gaps that are provided by adult series). This series breaks away from positions and has you moving around the keyboard quite a bit.

Essentially, I don't think you can go wrong with any method book as long as you stick with it and practice everyday--not only everyday, but practice everyday WELL. Considering you love Chopin music, you want to take the classical route. Pick up any method book and start learning. If it doesn't work for you, get another and try that. Also, there are many online resources (monkeysee.com , youtube.com, etc) that offer videos of free instruction on the basics.

If you have the funds, and after you've learned the basics, a private teacher is also highly recommended.

#1000770 - 12/16/08 06:53 PM Re: method series
erz Offline

Now I'm in a difficult situation because I have to prepare for my secondary school leaving examination. So I have little time to play. Therefore I can't forgive myself that I didn't learn when I was younger. I was interested in piano at the age of 7 but...

I think of starting with "Cooke - Mastering the Scales and Arpeggios"

I have also "Alfred's - Technic Book Level 1"

What do you think about it?

What would you call basic? For example, playing all of the scales or Aura Lee with two hands.

#1000771 - 12/16/08 07:14 PM Re: method series
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I understand. I've been interested since I was 3! Money wasn't there, so neither was the ability to play. It's something we all come across with one thing or another, but it's never too late. Don't beat yourself up. There are people here who started in their 50's and 60's and they are playing some pretty advanced stuff! The amount you put in is the amount you'll get out.

Basic? Hrm... sitting at the piano, reading music at a moderate rate (recognizing them, at least on the staff and two ledger lines in each direction), how to hold your hands, push fingers down one at a time, play small songs with both hangs--I would say somewhere about page 70-100 in "Alfred's All-In-One Book 1." If you could play all the scales in two octaves hands together, that would be MORE than basic, in my opinion.

I am not familiar with the Cooke book. While Scales and Arpeggios are important, knowing them won't make playing any easier if you can't play anything! Scales and arpeggios are assigned along with lessons, something you learn over a long period while also learning the playing basics. Also, they aren't just played in one or two octaves--you can do three and four octaves, broken scales, harmonized scales, etc etc etc. Those skills are gradually learned, of course.

Alfred's Technic Book Level 1? Which series is it from exactly? The Basic Piano Library? What age group is it in? Do you have the ISBN number?

I understand you are preparing for your exam--but if you took 5 minutes a day to learn something new, that would add up very quickly by the time you take your exam and have time to begin really learning and practicing. Nothing serious, just reading notes and playing little tunes would be incredibly beneficial, I'd think. And, after you are done with your leaving examination, you would have gained 7 months of 5 minutes a day knowledge: that's nearly 18 hours. It may not seem like much, but because it will be gradual and spread out, it adds up to quite a bit. If you could given spare 10 minutes, that would be 36 hours. 15 minutes, 54. Don't tell me you don't have 15 minutes to spare a day. You must spend that much time just sitting a day! Why not put that little bit of time to practice?

Best of luck learning the piano and with your examination. Just relax, prepare, and do it with all you have. Cliche, I know, but so is everything else.

Here is a useful website, by the way: http://www.pianofundamentals.com/book

#1000772 - 12/17/08 12:43 PM Re: method series
erz Offline

thanks for that.

I got this book from dannylux

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9mboe91hxmy/Cooke - Mastering the Scales and Arpeggios.pdf

There is a thing that I don't understand. Why, for example, in exercises for A minor, C minor... they add sharp or natural. What is that for?

Have you any advises for playing triplets and dotted eighth notes?

#1000773 - 12/17/08 05:07 PM Re: method series
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Triplets and dotted eighths should be started VERY slowly (just as any piece) until you can gradually go faster. If you can count 16ths, just count three of them. I'd do a search about those in both the Adult's forum and the Piano Teacher's forum for more tips and details.

As for the minor question--they may be harmonic or melodic instead of natural minors. Harmonic requires the 7th tone to be raised a half step going up and down, whereas Melodic requires the 6th and 7th tones to be raised a half step while ascending and back to the natural minor while descending. Natural minors are have the same accidentals as their relative major key.

The book looks good. Too historical and dense for my tastes, personally, but it seems to cover everything my book does. If it's too meaty, pick up another scales series (Keith Snell's, Alfred's Basic Musicianship, etc etc etc).

#1000774 - 12/28/08 03:50 PM Re: method series
erz Offline

Thanks for that.

I wish I had a teacher.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
110 registered (accordeur, A Guy, 30 invisible), 1511 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156112 Topics
2292505 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Surge protection?
by TX-Bluebonnet
07/24/14 12:01 AM
Opening up an old Piano
by musicNow
07/23/14 11:11 PM
Unusual Big Key Depth Yamaha Motif Xs7
by Ivan Jochner
07/23/14 10:55 PM
Yamaha P255
by pianist.ame
07/23/14 09:12 PM
Just Tried Brand New Mason and Hamlins....
by Paul678
07/23/14 09:10 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission