Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1000800 - 06/12/08 01:04 PM a new member
shalablab Offline

Loc: Egypt
I am a new member and my name is shalablab,and i would like to be informed if i can someday play pieces for franz liszt according to my age(28)?

i now can play lots of mozart sonates and some beethoven's pieces not sonates. my dream is to play the very technical and defficult pieces of Frans liszt.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1000801 - 06/12/08 01:40 PM Re: a new member
theRecluse Offline

Loc: Midlands, UK
Hi Shalablab,
Welcome to the forums.

I'm sure you'll hear this a lot: the average age of members on this forum is Forty-something; with many members starting piano after their fiftieth birthday... So your age doesn't really matter.

Definitely. With practice, you'll be able to play any piece.

#1000802 - 06/12/08 02:10 PM Re: a new member
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Welcome to the forum!

First of all, I don't see any problem for anybody playing some Liszt pieces.

A warning is due here, however. when you say "technical," do you specifically mean the virtuoso Liszt pieces, like Transcendental or other concert Etudes, or do you imply that most Liszt's pieces are technically challenging? If you mean the former, then it requires significant dedication on your part, and will probably take you years to get there. If you mean the latter, however, you can probably (given that you play at an intermediate level already) start learning some of them now (a good place to start would be Consolation #3, or easier version of Liszt's transcription of Schubert's Serenade).

At 28 you definitely have enough time to get to pretty much any level of pianism save for Carnegie Hall virtuosity, and, who know, maybe even that \:\)

Do a search on this board for Liszt and a whole bunch of advice will come up. Of course, if you have specific questions, feel free to ask :-)

#1000803 - 06/12/08 02:22 PM Re: a new member
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
Shalablab, Welcome!

YD is a great pianist so I would totally trust what he says about Liszt!

#1000804 - 06/12/08 02:23 PM Re: a new member
shalablab Offline

Loc: Egypt
thanks a lot for all encouraging, in our concervatory institute, all teachers and student discouraged me by saying that reaching the hight level of playing piano needs to start learning piano at very early age as 7 or 8 years old, otherwise i cannot reach the aimed level.

i mean playing the virtuoso Liszt pieces, like Transcendental etudes, i have some videos for the trancscendental etudes and i could see how defficult and challenging they are.

#1000805 - 06/12/08 04:47 PM Re: a new member
YD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Rosanna: thanx for the "great pianist" remark; I love you too (virtually speaking ;\) )

shalablab:

The transcendental etudes vary considerably in the level of difficulty. There are some that are not much different in level of needed virtuosity from Chopin etudes, most notably, TE1, TE3 and TE6. The most difficult ones are TE4, TE5 and TE12, the rest falls in the middle.

From personal experience...

Relevant background info: Despite flattering Rosanna's comment (thanx again!), my talent is quite mediocre (or I would have chosen a pianist career - trust me, I really wanted that when I was about 16); you may be way more talented. On the other hand, I have had considerable training (7 years of formal music school), though restarted piano only 2 years ago after a 12 year gap. Here are my observations re: Liszt's Transcendental Etudes:

TE1 is about as difficult as easier Chopin's etudes (mostly because it does not require much endurance, at under 1 minute); it was relatively easy for me (no Carnegie Hall worthy performances though).

TE6 is a bit more difficult; I've toyed with some of the passages there, but postponed learning it in favor of Chopin's 25/12, which I consider to be about the same in difficulty (they are also about similar technique).

I've also toyed with TE12. This beast of an etude is in a class of itself. Right now I completely fail to achieve anything resembling its proper sound, and I suspect that I may fail completely even after spending years on it. This is the first piano piece that I cannot possibly play on a heavy keyboard (which I generally prefer), and it makes me seriously consider purchasing a piano with lighter and shallower keys (like some of the Playel pianos).

As usual, all disclaimers apply, see my signature \:\)

#1000806 - 06/13/08 01:22 AM Re: a new member
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums shalablab!!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Gors Spangenberg
by PhilipInChina
10/22/14 09:28 PM
Help with Korg M1
by bonesy
10/22/14 09:12 PM
Screw stringer parts needed
by tenspan
10/22/14 08:58 PM
You must like every major composer
by JoelW
10/22/14 07:32 PM
Physis Piano K4 EX, tell me more...
by thercman
10/22/14 07:14 PM
Who's Online
119 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, 36251, A Guy, 37 invisible), 1246 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76619 Members
42 Forums
158429 Topics
2326585 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission