Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1000879 - 01/06/07 04:28 PM Piano Magic
Gilbert Offline

Loc: Ireland
I've spent a few minutes watching videos of various Piano Magic students on their website. I am really impresed. Are there any on this board who can add any comments on the course and if it really is value for money.

Piano: Roland FP-7

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1000880 - 01/06/07 04:59 PM Re: Piano Magic
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Gilbert, there are many here who use PM and much comment has been made on the method in the past - try a search in the link at the top of the page for Piano Magic and play by ear especially in the Adult Beginners Forum for heaps of discussion in addition to what anyone may post here.

#1000881 - 01/06/07 05:02 PM Re: Piano Magic
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
I'm not a member myself, but there are several on this forum who are, and they seem to agree on the value.

The proof is in the pudding, so to speak, and the various member recordings / videos are a good way to measure what the course is worth.

Did you see the video of "Seaside Lee"?

#1000882 - 01/06/07 06:48 PM Re: Piano Magic
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
"DJ" Grand Master Lee is da-bomb at piano magic!. \:D

#1000883 - 01/06/07 06:52 PM Re: Piano Magic
Astra Offline

Loc: Slovenia
I read a lot about PianoMagic (you have alot of threads about it here), too, and it seems a good course.
Im curious about few things.
1) How is with the rhythm in PM?
2)I know that you for some years play in key of C. WHich are the songs you can never play in it?
3) I know that you first start with three-chorded songs. How long does it take an average student to go on pop/rock songs? Fe. November Rain by Guns Roses, alot of the Beatles ...?

#1000884 - 01/06/07 07:13 PM Re: Piano Magic
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
Gilbert, you also want to try different variations when searching. Try both pianomagic and Piano Magic.

Quote:
Originally posted by pian00b:
I read a lot about PianoMagic (you have alot of threads about it here), too, and it seems a good course.
Im curious about few things.
1) How is with the rhythm in PM?[/b]
I don't know what you mean.

Quote:
2)I know that you for some years play in key of C. WHich are the songs you can never play in it?[/b]
Songs that you can't hum or whistle. Although it may take quite a while to be able to play complex modern popular songs and songs in a minor key.

Quote:
3) I know that you first start with three-chorded songs. How long does it take an average student to go on pop/rock songs? Fe. November Rain by Guns Roses, alot of the Beatles ...? [/b]
Hard to say. It probably depends on how quickly the student picks up the information and how much time is spent in playing tunes. Primarily it depends on how good the student is in following direction. ;\)

A thumbnail guess would be a couple years.

#1000885 - 01/06/07 07:29 PM Re: Piano Magic
Astra Offline

Thanks, Bob Muir!
1) Hmm, I ment if you do not have a good sense for rythm, but its a stupid question. You probably start counting.
2) Ah, so (if you can hum) everything is possible? Nice, I dont know why but I thought you can play only songs in major keys.
3)The problems with this songs is probably a more complex chords progression, not the melody, isnt it?
So, probably its possible to take a songs with a lot of chords and ˝add a simpler chords progressions˝? Perhaps it wozldnt sound very good, but is possible?

Oh, another question: if you have cca. 5 months of playing, can you soon start playing rythm patterns or do you have to spent quite some time on just block chords?

Thx again

#1000886 - 01/06/07 10:19 PM Re: Piano Magic
Veeter Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK
 Quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert:
I've spent a few minutes watching videos of various Piano Magic students on their website. I am really impresed. Are there any on this board who can add any comments on the course and if it really is value for money. [/b]
This sounds dumb but where do you go to see these videos? I've checked out the site and gone through the sample lesson but don't see a link for the member videos.

#1000887 - 01/06/07 10:27 PM Re: Piano Magic
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Hi Veeter

top right hand corner

click on the link in blue that says:-

"Virtual Vacation Videos
Mediterranean Cruise
8/28 - 9/12/2005 "

Theres video footage of students from Mikes trip to the UK last year and a kool one of that Seaside chap (plays a lot better now though...trust me I should know ;\) )

Night all

Lee \:\)

Thanks for the props Hunkster \:\)

#1000888 - 01/06/07 11:48 PM Re: Piano Magic
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by pian00b:
Thanks, Bob Muir!
1) Hmm, I ment if you do not have a good sense for rythm, but its a stupid question. You probably start counting.[/b]
Rhythm is definitely an issue for some folks. Mike has walked several PM members through it, Seaside Lee especially. He likes to add an extra beat every now and then. ;\)

Quote:
2) Ah, so (if you can hum) everything is possible? Nice, I dont know why but I thought you can play only songs in major keys.[/b]
Possibly the reason you thought that is because in many of my reviews of PianoMagic here in the forums, I've noted that you're restricted to major keys until you have a very thorough understanding of them. After all, it doesn't make sense to dive into another key if you don't understand the key you're purportedly starting with.

If you simply must play a song that's in a minor key, or one that is too advanced for you, then just use a fakebook or sheet music and don't sweat the play-by-ear bit for that song. But don't fool yourself that you're progressing with playing by ear when you do that.

Quote:
3)The problems with this songs is probably a more complex chords progression, not the melody, isnt it?[/b]
Yep, melody definitely isn't the problem. The problem is that to play a song by ear, you need to be able to come up with the accompanying chords. More complex songs require more complex understanding of the way music works. Until you have a solid grasp of simple songs, like three chord folk songs, then you'll be hitting your head against a wall with more complex tunes.

Quote:
So, probably its possible to take a songs with a lot of chords and ˝add a simpler chords progressions˝? Perhaps it wozldnt sound very good, but is possible?[/b]
Absolutely! There are many songs that sound more complicated in recordings than they really are. The reason is that there are a finite number of additional chords and substitutions that can be made for even basic three-chord tunes.

Quote:
Oh, another question: if you have cca. 5 months of playing, can you soon start playing rythm patterns or do you have to spent quite some time on just block chords?[/b]
I'm pretty sure you'd be doing more advanced rhythms within two months and quite likely within a month. btw, when done properly, block chords don't sound half bad. I've listened to quite a few professional recordings that are mostly block chords!

Thx again [/QB][/QUOTE]

#1000889 - 01/07/07 05:01 AM Re: Piano Magic
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: S. California
Hey Seaside,

I finally caught your video, that's some lovely/awesome playing, great to finally be able to see what your right hand's doing...

BTW, if you ever start to post on youtube, you can count on me as your first fan \:\)

#1000890 - 01/07/07 06:34 AM Re: Piano Magic
Astra Offline

Thank you Bob Muir for your excellent answers! I always thought that only the ones who are able to play by ear are ˝real musicians˝ and that is a ˝born-with˝ ability. Now, I see thats possible for everyone.
Another thing, now I have a cousin who likes simple children songs, so its a perfect time to learn this simpler songs \:\)

#1000891 - 01/07/07 06:49 AM Re: Piano Magic
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Note that it doesn't matter which key you play in if you're playing by ear. The only thing that matters is whether the song is in a major key or in a minor key. All major keys work the same and all minor keys work the same, so if you understand how the key of C major works, you can apply that knowledge to the other 11 major keys as well. The only thing that changes are the names of the chords.

In Piano Magic, we start with the major key because most songs are written in a major key (doesn't matter which one). If the minor key is used, it is often as a bridge in a major key song. In time, you'll also learn to play with the minor key, but it's not such a big deal as you might think.

In Piano Magic, you'll spend the first few months building up a repertoire of simple songs that you figure out by ear. You'll play them with block chords and a one-finger melody. This isn't silly, it is preparation for later when you'll add more fancy decorations in both hands. How long it takes to get there is up to you.

I think the most common source of failure in Piano Magic is wanting too much too soon, and attempting things before you're ready for them. If you want to be successful at it, you need to "empty your cup" and approach it like a real beginner (set aside the ego!) and give it the time it requires. \:\)

#1000892 - 01/07/07 12:29 PM Re: Piano Magic
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Piano Magic is really learning to play by ear.

It's a short cut to playing by ear starting day one.

Serge

“Being able to hear recorded music freed up loads of musicians that couldn't necessarily afford to learn to read or write music. With recording, it was emancipation for the people.”
-Keith Richards

#1000893 - 01/08/07 09:28 AM Re: Piano Magic
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi sid \:D

Quote:
that's some lovely/awesome playing
hey thanks...maybe not awesome...but, thanks anyway ...that was over a year ago (....and I watch that back now and cringe a little :rolleyes: )

Quote:
great to finally be able to see what your right hand's doing...
yup, see I'm human...I haven't got 8 fingers or anything

Quote:
BTW, if you ever start to post on youtube, you can count on me as your first fan
If I could figure a way to get a decent quality recording...I should definitely get something posted (for my first fan of course \:D ). If only, to show I can play a whole lot better than that guy on that video (now)

thanks

#1000894 - 01/08/07 11:16 AM Re: Piano Magic
Gilbert Offline

Lee, thanks for responding to my email personally (I emailed you last night on my private email address about Piano Magic). I am a fan of yours, so now you have two. In the Piano Magic video you mentioned '1625' - can you explain this technique please.

#1000895 - 01/08/07 02:10 PM Re: Piano Magic
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Gilbert

Ah ...so thats you

Yes a 1625 based on the key of C scale

would be

1 C Chord
6 Am (or A chord)
2 Dm (or D Chord)
5 G or G7

often used as a turnaround, an intro, an extended ending (and for Seaside to fool around with cause in the key of C playing a I,Vim,IIm,V7 chord progression you can improvise with any melody note you like on the white keys)

I prefer noodling on the 1625 to any hanon or scale excercise (but, hey I'm weird )

take care

Edit: Hey thats fan(s) plural!!!...I'll be catching up with Hunkster at this rate ;\)

#1000896 - 01/08/07 02:37 PM Re: Piano Magic
Gilbert Offline

While you are noodling on the 1625 what's your left hand doing?

#1000897 - 01/08/07 03:46 PM Re: Piano Magic
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Gilbert

left hand would be playing the chords (1625) in some sort of rhythm...arps, chucks, 10ths etc...just keep the motor running

Right hand doodles with melodies (make 'em up, I do)

make any sense?

regards

Lee

#1000898 - 01/08/07 04:26 PM Re: Piano Magic
rtark Offline

Loc: Dardanelle,Ar
Well. I 'll just be dipped. I have watched those videos over and over again and I liked Seasides playing the most, also I have read Seasides comments on this forum but I never made the connection. All this time I was communicating with a famous person.
Would PM work in my situation? I dont have internet access at home where my acoustic is but I do at my office where I have lots of time. I do have a Yamaha 88 keyboard that I could bring here If I have to. I have taught myself a lot in the last 2 months but I am at the point where I have to have a little help or get discouraged, and I can't let that happen..Ray

#1000899 - 01/08/07 04:38 PM Re: Piano Magic
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

famous person!!!!! ...yeah right, that'll be the day :rolleyes: ...LOL

take your keyboard into work...(I do ;\) )

or you can always print everything off like Sharon does

regards

Lee \:D

#1000900 - 01/08/07 04:48 PM Re: Piano Magic
rtark Offline

One more Question--ahhh make that 2 more. Are these lessons things that I can put on disk, take home and put them on my home PC? I have the monitor sitting on top of the piano for this sort of thing. ?#2 Who is Sharon? Is she making progress with PM?..Thanks Ray

#1000901 - 01/08/07 05:02 PM Re: Piano Magic
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
Lee, you can count me as fan number 3 I was wondering about that 1625 thing as well, so thanks for the explanation.

Ray - you're from Dardanelle! Home of one of my favorite golfers ;\)

#1000902 - 01/08/07 05:14 PM Re: Piano Magic
Gilbert Offline

Lee, do you play the chords on your left hand strictly in chord fasion or do you play the notes that make up the chords individually. I play a lot of my left hand with C-G-C and now I cannot break the habit - what should I do?

#1000903 - 01/08/07 05:18 PM Re: Piano Magic
rtark Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Euan Morrison:
Lee, you can count me as fan number 3 I was wondering about that 1625 thing as well, so thanks for the explanation.

Ray - you're from Dardanelle! Home of one of my favorite golfers ;\) [/b]
You must be speaking of Big Bad John LOL He drifts in and out of the coffee shop ocassionally. He is getting his life in order now.

#1000904 - 01/08/07 07:28 PM Re: Piano Magic
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Euan thanks

wow thats 3 fans now...holey moley!!!...watchout Elton here I come

Quote:
I play a lot of my left hand with C-G-C and now I cannot break the habit - what should I do?
see a doctor

sure you can break the habit...try something else, like maybe a 10th C-G-E, play a block chord, play a boom chuck C...CEG

or join pianomagic to find out lots of things you can do ;\)

with regard to putting it on disc and taking it home? absolutely you could, all the lessons and videos and audios are downloadable

regards

#1000905 - 01/09/07 07:00 AM Re: Piano Magic
Gilbert Offline

Lee, my piano teacher phoned me last night (I guess he's desperate for my £10 note) - I replied with "I can't make it tonight, I need to take a look at the car, it's playing up" - what I should have told him was that I was seriously thinking of joining Piano Magic! He is a brilliant pianist(by ear) but I don't think I'm getting value for my money. If I go every fortnight its going to cost me £260 whereas pianomagic will cost me £100 and thats 24hour everyday service!

#1000906 - 01/09/07 08:22 AM Re: Piano Magic
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Gilbert

Quote:
If I go every fortnight its going to cost me £260 whereas pianomagic will cost me £100 and thats 24hour everyday service!
makes sense to me

and you get me and all the other helpful members to help you too...bargain huh! \:\)

One question, why do you feel your piano teacher is not giving good value for money? (just curious thats all)

regards

#1000907 - 01/09/07 09:09 AM Re: Piano Magic
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
But you will only get anything out of Piano Magic if you put the time in. There are many people who join up and never even set foot in the forums. I wonder if they have simply given up after a half-hearted attempt or what. Don't join Piano Magic if you don't want to make the effort to learn!

#1000908 - 01/09/07 10:18 AM Re: Piano Magic
mdp1w Offline

Loc: PA
Hello Lee!

Have you taken a look at Hunky's thread, Any hopeless Romantics out there?

All those posting tried to put into words their intense passion and pleasure in playing the piano.

You, performing in THIS video , display the JOY we all attempted to describe -- it's written all over your face!! \:D

Daria

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
149 registered (A Guy, Akshay, AZ_Astro, ando, 36251, 44 invisible), 1695 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153577 Topics
2250798 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Midi controller with a good keybed under 1000$
by Ov3rload
04/19/14 11:55 AM
Bsendorfer vs Steingraeber
by Keith D Kerman
04/19/14 11:51 AM
Keyboard stand
by david_ka
04/19/14 09:42 AM
Tuning stability problems...
by Grotriman
04/19/14 09:20 AM
What does this sign mean
by ryderb
04/19/14 08:46 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission