2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1001862 05/12/06 01:11 AM
OP Offline
I have been reading the the pianist lounge forum and I always hear people talking about practicing 2-6 hours a day! I have been practicing for 4 months a probably practice about 1 hour a day almost every day. My teacher says I am progressing well, but I don't know what her standards are. Please post what your accomplishments were a 4 months so I can get an idea.

P.S. I Love Emmy Rossum

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A hour a day sounds excellent for someone in their first year of lessions. As you progress, you'll move on to more complex pieces and find you need and want to increase your practice time but that will come on gradually. I practice 3-5 hours a day but I certainly didn't start out that way.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
P
P
Practice time depends on the time you can make available for your practice and on how fast you wish to progress.

I started out practicing 30 to 60 minutes each day for the first 1.5 years, and the teacher I had at that time was not very encouraging. I almost lost my joy in playing, and my progress was lousy.

I changed my teacher last summer (the new one is just superb!) and started out planning that I'd put in a minimum a 1 hours practice every day. Better teaching helped me progress much faster, and I just wanted to play the pieces better so that one hour soon developed into 1.5 to 3 hours during week-days and often more on days when I don't work.

As my first teacher considered playing scales, chords and arpeggios a waste of time, never corrected my hand position, never taught any keystroke techniques other than legato, staccato, forte, piano, and had me use the pedal frequently, learn the notes of more demanding pieces by heart so you can have your eyes on the keys, I basically knew nothing when I started with my new teacher.

I've been with my new teacher for 8 months now and we practically started all over again. We use the Russion piano school, of which I've have completed volume No. 1 and in addition I've been doing little extra pieces by Strawinsky (Les cinq doigts), Fischer, Burgmüller, and a few easy duetts, I regularly practice scales (know approx. half of them), started with chords.

Hello

I'm interested in one of the books/methods that you are being taught, the _Russion piano school_ . Could you post some more information on this book? Is it a Hal Leonard publication? any details would be appreciated.

Voyager

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I suppose I have an unconventional approach to learning to play the piano and practicing. Please keep in mind that I play primarily by ear.

Since I am basically teaching myself (and I may be doing this all wrong) I will sit down at the piano every day for an hour or so (perhaps longer on the weekends). I will play a song/piece that I already know to warm up. I will usually work on scales and technique some. I then try to work on a new/different song/piece that I am not familiar with and want to learn. I usually finish up playing an upbeat tune that I enjoy playing. Also, many of the songs/pieces I play are not purely instrumentals and I sing along with my playing. I have found that it is particularly challenging to play the instrument (well) and sing at the same time.

This is my piano practice regiment.

Regards,

Rickster

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I try to practice 2 hours a day. So far I've been relatively successful but I know that life will interfere with that. But right now I can squeeze it in so I'm making hay while the sun shines.

Ken Knapp

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
P
P
Voyager,

The Russian Piano school comes in two volumes, and it says in the back that each volume takes approx 1 - 1.5 years, plus a third book with pieces, sonatas etc. for 3rd to 6th year. Each volume approx 100 pages.

I have not found it with Amazon.com, so I am not sure if it is available in English.

You can get it from amazon.de

Die Russische Klavierschule
Sikorski Band 1
ISBN 3920880684

Sikorski Band 2
ISBN 3920880692

Sikorski Spielband
ISBN 3920880706

It's a school you definitely need a teacher for as it has barely any explanations, and I wouldn't use it for small children who may be happy with a few pictures here and there.

What I like is that it has got little pieces which sound pretty nice and are ok to practice for an adult starter. A lot of these pieces by Russian composers, but also some central European ones, and from different times. In the back it lists the scales, chords and arpeggios (first volume only lists about 2/3 of them).

My first teacher had used the children's piano school and other "easy set" stuff by John W. Schaum which is probably at the other end of the world of piano schools.

As the Russian piano school is basically without explanations/words, the language doesn't really matter.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I generally try to get an hour of concentrated practice in every day. (I've been taking lessons for just over a year.) But, as I am home all day long, I do tend to sit at the piano for a few minutes here and there, outside of that hour. So I would guess I probably get a couple hours in every day, sometimes more, if I feel good about my playing (or don't want to do much else!! lol). My hour is planned out, as far as what I practice: scales, chords, digging into a newer piece, and working on polishing stuff. The in-between is really just whatever I feel like playing when I sit down....

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
depending on days or my condition (whether i am tired or not), my practice would be about 15min - 2hour on weekdays and more on weekend. sometimes, i could be carried away playing through several different pieces and not realizing how late it is...

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Typically 1 - 1.5 hours every day on piano/keyboard and I've recently added guitar lessons so that takes up another 1+ hours every day which used to go to piano.

BTW:

Playing guitar has really helped with my left hand finger independance at the keyboard and playing piano has made learning guitar relatively easy.

I highly recommend not limiting yourself to just one instrument.

Rodney

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I practise anything from 15 minutes up to around 3 hours a day (although my average is probably 1 hour). It depends on what else needs done and what piece I'm learning.

AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Typically two to three hours a day broken up into short periods, some as little as 15 minutes. Lots of short sessions maximises my progress. I play sections of pieces taht I need to learn or speed up - I try not to waste time going through teh whole of a piece when I am working on say page 15 of 23. All of it serious work - hardly any time spent playing things I already know. I do a repertoire refresher about once a week.

Adrian

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm at about 17 months - self-taught.

At 4 months, maybe I was getting comfortable with reading treble clef. I was struggling to play with both hands - hands together (HT).

At 4 months I was probably practicing 15 minutes to 1.5 hours per day 4-5 days per week. Now I'm at about .5 to 1.5 per day every day, more on weekends.

I think the more you practice, the easier it gets and the longer you'll spend at it.

It would be difficult to make rookie mistakes for 4-6 hours per day. Although I guess if you spent that much time the mistakes would go away more quickly.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
M-F: I play between 15 minutes and an hour. Weekends I try to make up for lost time and play 2-3 hours, spread out in shorter intervals throughout the day.

I'd play 4-6 hours if I could, and I fantasize daily about quitting my job to do so. smile

tm3 Offline
i need to start a thread titled, "where do you all get all that time to practice?"

i'm jealous! laugh

L
L
I average about 30 minutes a day, although lately I have been getting more and more days where I practice for an hour. I work a pretty draining job so I'm sometimes exhausted when I come home. I have been finding though that putting the hour in makes a big difference and I'm striving to maintain that. I do get to the piano every day though for at least 15 minutes.

I also find it helpful to break up my practice sessions. I seem to do better with short spurts. Even if you do 30 minutes and then 15 and another 15...it adds up. I have an egg timer on the piano which I set. I like to keep track of my time.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
On the digital about 15-20 minutes. Doing the same songs. then about 10 minutes working out a new song. On the acoustic, 10 minutes, playing the same songs (have to bring my list of songs with me or print another list)...hardly ever work out new songs on acoustic. In total I play (practice) about 30 minutes a day. Every single day - even if I go to bed at 12:30, I sit at the bench and play a bit. I want to focus more on going over new material and leave some old stuff behind. But whatever you can do it good. I find myself doodling a lot... but 8 months into PMMO, I am actually pleased with my progress.

Frycek - how do you practice so many hours a day? Where, in deed, do you find the time? Wow!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I get up at 3:00 am and practice before I go to work.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i have no set time to practice. i practice when i want to:) i usually tend to practice right when i get up in the morning mid day and late at night. i notice those are the times i practice most. as far as the length i dont have any set times, i practice till i am comfortable with what i am working on however long that could be????

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I usually get in about 1 to 3 hours total a day and more on the weekends. I usually do this by taking breaks and when I have any time besides playing with my 2 year old or my wife smile then I sit at the piano.
Many times I will also just have the sheet music with me and read it while I hang around with the family.
I've been playing since last march and I can say that I am addicted to playing piano. Or maybe its more like obsessed....
Anways....besides already knowing how to read music my repertoire consists of Mozart's Sonata in C, Chopin's Waltz Op. 69 no. 2, Beethoven's Für Elise, and Bach's Prelude in C.
Have more but these are the ones I am concentrating on after 14 months. I don't bother with scales or any finger exercises because I feel that there are enough scales and exercises within the pieces I'm learning. I'm also self-taught. However..for the beginner with no musical background whatsoever....I would encourage the scales and teacher.

Peter

Ok..Ok... If you don't want your Steinway give it to me !!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission