2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,313 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
M-F: I play between 15 minutes and an hour. Weekends I try to make up for lost time and play 2-3 hours, spread out in shorter intervals throughout the day.

I'd play 4-6 hours if I could, and I fantasize daily about quitting my job to do so. smile
Ahhhh so do I ....so do I....
Luckily those sick days come in handy smile

Peter

Ok..Ok... If you don't want your Steinway give it to me !!!!
Par Offline
Nowadays I practice around 1-1 1/2 hour a day. I usually break it up into 20-30 minute increments. I'm prone to carpal tunnel so I try to avoid abusing my hands. They do tire pretty quick, but maybe in time they'll build up more stamina laugh

OP Offline
Thanks for sharing your practice times. I was getting worried that maybe I wasn't practicing enough. I also practice in intervals throughout the day. I totally agree with Monica Kern. I always dream about leaving work to practice piano. I always try to leave early. I have a terrific piano instructer and I am stating on scales hands together on C major. She also gave me sight reading exercises and a new song to learn every week. They are about four grand staffs in lenght with some repeat bars.

Piano Rocks!! Mozart Rocks!! Emmy Rossum Rocks!!

Regards

Michael loogman

L
L
On a good day, practice goes for at least an hour, hopefully two. Some days are hit and miss with 1/2 hour sessions each focusing on something different. It also depends on how much theory work I have. I've tried logging my time and I guess it averages about 12-15 hrs. a week.

I wonder if the 4-6 hour practices aren't being done by the professional players...how cool would that be for piano practice to be part of your job! smile

Lynn

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I practice 45 min to 1 hour on an acoustic before I start work, 1 hour lunchtime on an acoustic and most days, 1+ hours in the evening on my digital (except for Friday - reserved for spouse laugh ). On the weekends, if I don't have social commitments I take frequent "piano" breaks between household chores....But I'm totally addicted and would practice even more if I could..... laugh The more I learn, the more addicted I become.

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Sandy Moore:
But I'm totally addicted and would practice even more if I could..... laugh The more I learn, the more addicted I become. [/QB]
I know the feeling.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Frycek:
I get up at 3:00 am and practice before I go to work.
I like to get 2 hours a day in. I work full time and go to school so in the fall and spring it gets tough. I like looking at my time over a week. I go for 10 hours a week at the minumum which is doable while I am in school if I stay focused.

I also like this time to be spread out; not 6 or 8 hours all on the weekend. I progress faster if it is spread out during the week.

I will start doing what Frycek is doing. Make some time before work to work on the technical stuff like chords, scales, and progressions and hanon. This takes 45 min. befor I even get to the music. Good idea!

I have a very eratic practice schedule. Sometimes I'm completely consumed by what I'm doing (school, work, etc) and I literally don't play for a couple of months. Other times I'll give it a good 2+ hours a day. I've only been playing for about 15 months though.

I've learned some basic theory and have picked up a lot of technique. Sightreading, scales, arpeggios, etc. have all taken the back seat. I've only worked on pieces of music up till now. I plan to change that this summer though, as I need some more theory if I want to start improvising.

I can decently play the following pieces (though I would say none are really polished, and many are still actually unfinished.... I have a small attention span):

Satie: Gymnopedies and Gnossiennes

Debussy: Clair de Lune (arpeggio section is not upto speed yet).
Beethoven: Moonlight Sonata (easy part)

Beethoven: Fur elise (didn't really work on the interuptions)

Schubert Op 90 Impromptu No. 2 (only the first three pages are upto speed( well, decently upto speed, I've heard others play this very, very fast)

Joplin: Maple Leaf Rag (This one is quite fun to play)

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
hey, i didn't know Mozart composed 'Fur Elise' confused ?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Yeah, Beethoven must've swiped the manuscript when he was a kid that one time he visited Mozart.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Frycek:
Yeah, Beethoven must've swiped the manuscript when he was a kid that one time he visited Mozart.
smile ha ha

L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
I hate to say I hate a piece of music, but Fur Elise (I just recently learned that meant: For Elise [a woman's name)...duh]) is NOT one of my favorites, by any stretch of the imagination.

While a teenager my teacher made me memorize it before she would let me go on to a new piece. It took me about a month. Not suprisingly, I can still play about half from memory - about 50 years later.

But I never play it; I just can't stand it. mad

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
Originally posted by signa:
hey, i didn't know Mozart composed 'Fur Elise' confused ?
Heh, its kinda funny, I've made that mistake numerous times. I don't know why I always instinctively think that Mozart wrote that piece.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When I'm not working, I practice about 2 hours sometime 3 each day.

Just started work as a temp full time for about five weeks of phone registration at a university and at the end of the day I've had it. It's hard to come home from work and practice - I didn't realize the energy it takes, physical and mental. But what's that line from the Chorus Line, "what we do for love" - most times I manage to practce about 1 1/2 hours. Looking forward to the first week of June when this tour of duty will end. Next one will be around the end of August.

smile

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I'm good for 1 hour to 1-1/2 hours every week day with 2-3 hours spread out over the course of the day on weekends and days off. During the week, I come home from work with good intentions, but end up too brain dead to do any more then the hour's worth.

Usually I start off with some scales or other exercises to get the fingers into piano-mode. After that it's time spent working on various pieces I've assigned myself.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission