2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
teachum Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
T
Okay - no one in the pianists corner gave a rip so I'll tell you guys. I'm excited to have been given two front row seats to the symphony tomorrow night. The featured artist is German pianist, Markus Groh. I'm outdoing myself this month - two theatre nights and symphony. That's a lot of culture for North Idaho!

Has anyone else seen this guy. I looked him up and he seems to be pretty accomplished. Looks cool too.

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
never heard of him. please give us some information about him, and post review of the concert!

T
teachum Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
T

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

T
teachum Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
T
Okay - here's my report. FABULOUS!!!! This guy is WAY COOL! I was on the edge of my seat. The program was:

Bela Bartok - Dance Suite - six movements. Didn't thrill me - I think Bartok is an acquired taste. I'm looking for the BIG piano!

Brief break - here comes the BIG PIANO!

I'm in the second row in the orchestra pit so if the piano falls off I'm probably going to get crushed. Unfortunately, I'm just far enough off center to the right so I can't see his hands, but I can see his arms.

Markus Groh comes on - Very handsome, long pony tail about 35 years old. He's German. I posted a link with his credentials above.

He played:

Franz Liszt: Concerto No. 1 in E-Flat Major for Piano. What can I say? It was amazing. There was a trill that went on for about 2 minutes. I could see the tendons in his arm working through his suit jacket arm! Of course it's all from memory. My husband was fascinated by his pedalling. He said, "Man he really whacks away on that thing!"

Spontaneous standing ovation: I only believe in spontaneous ones. I hate gratuitous ones - or spotty ones.

Intermission - Went up and checked out the piano. Of course it was Steinway 9 foot. It sounded wonderful. The front was chipped and nicked so I'm guessing it's a few years old.

2nd piece; Tontentanz for Piano and Orchestra.

I can't give you actual details because I'm not that informed about this piece, but it was dramatic and breathtaking.

Then they took the big piano away. frown frown

I really expected the rest to be anticlimactic, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The final portion was Wagner - Selections from Die Meistersinger von Nurmberg. It was very pleasant and a nice come down after the intensity of Groh's performance.

The conductor is Japanese and his name is Morihoko Nakahara. He was delightful. This symphony is 70 performers and is well-supported in this area - 59 years in existence. I was impressed.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
it seems that you had an exciting concert, and i didn't get this excited last time i went to hear Uchida's. he sounds like a very good pianist since you enjoyed it so much.

btw, Wagner's music is really rich in sound, and last time i heard his prelude... from one of his opera (sorry, couldn't remember the name) and found it pretty enticing.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission