2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,460 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1002135 06/23/05 04:11 AM
D
delite1 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi Guys,
I've just found this forum and we have not got anything like this in England so I was wondering if you could help.

Having learnt the C position, when we move up the octave on the right hand what note should the thumb be on and what is this new position called?

Similarly does anyone know the same information for moving down the octave for the left hand?

Thanks once again.

Well, if you are playing the C-E-G three-note chord with your right hand, and your thumb is on middle C, then you would just move up to the next C above, and play the same C-E-G chord.

If you are playing an octave in your left hand, which is two C's an octave apart, then you just move your whole hand down so your left thumb is now on a lower C. Your little finger will then, of course, be on a still lower C.

Good luck--

the Glyptodont
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i don't quite understand your question. do you mean you want to play from a low C to a higher C with one octave apart? if that's the case, just jump from thumb (low C) to thumb (high C), using pinky as a guide.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
To play up the octave in the right hand, starting on C, play like this:

Thumb (C), 1st finger (D), middle finger (E), *Thumb* (F), 1st finger (G), middle finger (A), ring finger (B), pinky (C).

So you play the C and the F with your thumb.

---

To play down the octave in the left hand, starting on middle C, play like this:

Thumb (C), 1st finger (B), middle finger (A), *Thumb* (G), 1st finger (F), middle finger (E), ring finger (D), pinky (C).

So you play the C and the G with your thumb.

Sam
D
delite1 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
That's fantastic,

Thank you all very much.

Sam,

So on the left hand if I go further down still the thumb just goes down to the C where my pinky was?

If that's correct would it be fair to say that with regards to the right hand the thumb always plays C or F.

And similary would it be fair to say with regards to the left hand the thumb always plays C or G ?

First, there is no position on the piano, I totally disagree with some method books calling it a position to beging with, bascially it is the most simple and natural starting position, where you 1-2-3-4-5 fingers lays on the keys, and plays C-D-E-F-G, if you move up an octave, you will end up with another group of C-D-E-F-G

If you L. H. moves down, you will be doing the same C-D-E-F-G, but the fingering mirrors R. H. so it will be 5-4-3-2-1 on C-D-E-F-G.

Thumb is not going to play just C or F in R. H., nor L. H. will alway play C or G, if that's the case, how can you ever cover 88 keys with only 10 fingers?

5-finger position is a starting place for beginners, you want to think that you can move anywhere on the piano, not necessary C-D-E-F-G, for example, you can do F-G-A-B-C, or D-F-G-A-B, or E-F-G-A-B with either hand with finger 1-2-3-4-5.

S
S
It totally depends on where your'e "going" with the music... What is the next chord??

I try to live, love and laugh as much as I can every day, because every day may be my last
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by delite1:
So on the left hand if I go further down still the thumb just goes down to the C where my pinky was?
Yes.

If that's correct would it be fair to say that with regards to the right hand the thumb always plays C or F.
Yes.

And similary would it be fair to say with regards to the left hand the thumb always plays C or G ?
Yes.

---

What you are playing is a C Major scale - that is, you are playing a run from C to C, either up or down. You can continue this in any direction from any C to any other C anywhere on the keyboard, and your thumb will always play C and F in the right hand, and C and G in the left hand.

Clara's pointing out, though, that if you want, for example, to play from A to A instead of C to C, then your thumbs won't necessarily play C and F (or G) anymore. If you want to play from A to A, then your right thumb will always play A and D.

As you advance and experiment a little bit - as you sort of break away from simply playing from C to C, or A to A, or G# to G# - you'll find that you can really play with your thumb on any key you'd like. The important thing to remember is that wherever you place your thumb, you're strategically setting up your other fingers. If you want to play C D E F G, then put your right thumb on the C. That way, it will be easy to play the other four notes. If you want to play E G A B C, then put your right thumb on the E, and play the G with your pointer finger. The other three notes will be an easy task for your other three fingers which should just be lined right up.

Sam
D
delite1 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Brilliant,

Thanks very much. I am extremely grateful to all of you.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission