Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1003358 - 10/24/05 07:57 AM Now I feel better
Laura D Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Saturday my daughter was in an honors recital, for the kids who got the best ratings in a recent audition. These are some of the best young pianists in the area. Lots of really nice music.

What made me feel better was seeing how many of them made nervous mistakes. One of the teenagers, who had received a Superior Plus rating in the audition on a gorgeous and difficult piece, blanked out in the middle of her piece, restarted it two more times, and finally just gracefully stood up, bowed, and walked back to her seat. Obviously she had not done that at her audition!

So it is not only me who gets nervous!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1003359 - 10/24/05 08:26 AM Re: Now I feel better
Soleil_nuage Offline

Loc: Virginia
Okay, Frau Schadenfreude!

Just kidding! \:D \:D

I felt the same way watching figure skating yesterday. These are the best skaters in the world and they were making mistakes and falling.

I was very impressed that after making mistakes, like falling on their butts, they got right up without skipping a beat, continued their skating, and ended their performances with smiles on their faces.

I don't think I appreciated how hard it is to do that until I started playing the piano.

A sports commentator asked one of the skaters how she felt when she fell down on one of the jumps. She responded that she didn't dwell on it, that she put it out of her mind, and focused on the rest of her routine.

Sorry this is a bit off topic.

#1003360 - 10/24/05 01:10 PM Re: Now I feel better
Glyptodont Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
That is one thing that frustrates me, also.

Some weeks I go to my lesson very very practiced and expect to do well, and I "clutch" and mess the pieces up.

Recently, I went to the recital with a piece that had an error-ridden section that I could NOT get right. At the lesson, it went flawlessly.

That's why it must be awful to be a concert pianist. When you are on the stage, you cannot afford to have a bad night. Whether you are tired, or distracted, or have a headache, you have to "deliver."

Nice to hear about the young people trying their wings like this.

#1003361 - 10/24/05 10:33 PM Re: Now I feel better
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by Laura D:
One of the teenagers, who had received a Superior Plus rating in the audition on a gorgeous and difficult piece, blanked out in the middle of her piece, restarted it two more times, and finally just gracefully stood up, bowed, and walked back to her seat. [/b]
Wow. You gotta give that young lady a tremendous amount of credit for maintaining her composure during what had to have been a nightmare for her. I get bent out of shape if I mess up a song just playing for my husband.

And Soleil_nuage, I don't think the figure skater analogy is off topic at all. The ability to put a mistake behind me and concentrate on the rest of the routine/piece is what I am striving for. I know that everybody makes mistakes, and I will always continue to make mistakes. But what frustrates me is that the mistakes get me anxious and that breeds more mistakes. I would love to be able to react as the professionals do. I don't know how they manage that, though. I suspect it involves just putting yourself in performance settings repeatedly and forcing yourself to go on through the errors.

#1003362 - 10/25/05 12:52 AM Re: Now I feel better
ChatNoir Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Encino, California
I used to be terribly nervous in the old days when asked to play for an audience, be it large or small. Until I found out that hardly anybody paid attention to what I was doing. 6 bars into my piece, and their minds were on tomorrows dinners or last nights escapades or whatever else might come to mind. Of course, it was a little disconcerting to find out that I was not the center of the universe after all. But I got over it, and now I play wherever and whenever without a nerve in my body.

#1003363 - 10/26/05 11:22 PM Re: Now I feel better
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Laura D:
One of the teenagers, who had received a Superior Plus rating in the audition on a gorgeous and difficult piece, blanked out in the middle of her piece, restarted it two more times, and finally just gracefully stood up, bowed, and walked back to her seat. [/b]
Wow. You gotta give that young lady a tremendous amount of credit for maintaining her composure during what had to have been a nightmare for her. I get bent out of shape if I mess up a song just playing for my husband.

And Soleil_nuage, I don't think the figure skater analogy is off topic at all. The ability to put a mistake behind me and concentrate on the rest of the routine/piece is what I am striving for. I know that everybody makes mistakes, and I will always continue to make mistakes. But what frustrates me is that the mistakes get me anxious and that breeds more mistakes. I would love to be able to react as the professionals do. I don't know how they manage that, though. I suspect it involves just putting yourself in performance settings repeatedly and forcing yourself to go on through the errors. [/b]
I was going to say the same thing.

John

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chrono Trigger piano medley
by Stefo
09/18/14 04:44 PM
need help with deciding between digital and acoustic
by luvboise713
09/18/14 04:16 PM
Sight reading problems
by pianosNpreschooler
09/18/14 03:23 PM
Hello! I have a question about playing for cocktail parties.
by albumblatter
09/18/14 03:10 PM
Piano Concerto in F, Op. 2 Arensky, Anton
by antony
09/18/14 02:33 PM
Who's Online
121 registered (ando, albumblatter, 36251, aesop, anotherscott, accordeur, 37 invisible), 1202 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157609 Topics
2315081 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission