Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1004603 - 11/11/04 09:48 PM Really New !
Luckychwee Offline

Loc: Singapore
Hi I just took my second lessons and my teacher have not started any music as yet. For the first lesson, he has explained the sitting posture, finger relaxation. He stressed about the tone of music and not playing with tense fingers which can tire very easily. The second sesson is almost similar just that he pointed my weak fingers (4th & 5th) and recommended some finger exercises (pressing all the keys down and play with the 4th & 5th).

Well, I am sure many of you do take lessons from a piano teacher and is it so far alright for me ? Or am I suppose to learn more after 2 lessons instead of emphasing on the fingers relaxation ?

Please advise as I want to know if so far I am ok with this teacher. If possible, would you be kind to also let me know HOW & WHAT your teacher teaches you during the first 2 months of lessons ?
And a prayer a day never keep our Jesus away
And let's praise our Lord, our King, our God all the way ....

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1004604 - 11/11/04 09:54 PM Re: Really New !
WCSMinorCircuit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Honestly, in my opinion you are learning a little bit slow because I was already doing note recognition and exercises on my second lesson. But test the waters out because I'm sure your teacher knows what he's doing. Two lessons is a little soon.

#1004605 - 11/11/04 09:57 PM Re: Really New !
Luckychwee Offline

Thanks Joseph ... hope that more of the others can contribute your experience and opinions.

My teacher plays very well and he got a distinction for his diploma. On the very first lesson, he already told me that a true pianist is one whom can play with fingers relax and not getting tired after a few piece of music.

I know it's a bit too early to tell if he is abit slow with me but I hope he can teach me more ... \:\)

Another thing I forgot to add is that I've mentioned to him that I am able to read the treble & bass clef as I learned by myself earlier and know where are all the keys A-G.

#1004606 - 11/15/04 11:27 PM Re: Really New !
Luckychwee Offline

Well I just finished my third lesson and I was asked to practise the first 4 sets of Czerny ops 599 as well as the scales of C. I find it rather difficult to play hand together and I've got to figure out the notes slowly. Am I progressing too slow or should my teacher teach me something else first instead of these technical exercises.

We have not touched on any music as yet and my teacher told me she will be starting one next week.

I really hope to find out from you all what you have learned during the first few months of lessons and what are the things that you teacher empahsis on.

Can anyone ???

#1004607 - 11/16/04 03:25 AM Re: Really New !
Cryptkeeper Offline

Loc: Belgium
Well, it's good you'll be starting to play some music next week. This should be good for your motivation \:\)

As for making progress... I don't think you can make progress just after three lessons. Wait a month or so and then evaluate yourself.

I'm taking lessons now for 5 months now and just recently I noticed I'm making progress.
Give it some time \:\)

#1004608 - 11/16/04 08:20 AM Re: Really New !
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
"I find it rather difficult to play hand together and I've got to figure out the notes slowly."

Yup. Sounds normal to me. My first piece to play hands together was Jingle Bells in the Alfred's Adult course. I can still remember how annoying it was, but also how rewarding it felt once I finished it.

I wouldn't consider Czerny 599 pieces to be technical exercises per se. They're really just simple method pieces that teach hand position and note/key location.

If your teacher isn't using a published method course but is picking pieces from his own personal method, you might want to ask him to throw in some simplified popular local music to add interest to your studies.

#1004609 - 11/16/04 10:28 AM Re: Really New !
nan Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Lucky, It sounds to me like you want to get going on playing. I started out on Alfred Adult Piano Course which costs about $20 for both book and CD. Right away it starts off with playing scales and simple tunes. You can do this and also see how this teacher works out for you. I went through the Alfred series (there are three levels in the course) and found it to be very challenging and good. I just flipped open the very first lesson in that Level one book and am going to go over all the music theory there just in the beginning of that book! I could use it even after three years of study! Good luck!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
91 registered (ando, AndrewJCW, Andy001, aesop, AZNpiano, AEMontoya, 17 invisible), 886 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75969 Members
42 Forums
157105 Topics
2307280 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
An update on Ethan Hawke's docu about Seymour Bernstein
by music32
08/28/14 04:36 AM
Tuning the 7th octave
by AaronM
08/28/14 01:29 AM
Some Swan Lake
by harpon
08/28/14 12:53 AM
What makes a piano sound honky-tonk?
by harpon
08/28/14 12:31 AM
Casio Px 110 vs 150 for Pianoteq + action
by Dwscamel
08/28/14 12:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission