Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1005762 - 11/19/08 03:45 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Benny Offline

Loc: Germany
 Quote:
Originally posted by Manndrew:
11. Benny - Comptine d'un autre été: l'après-midi[/b] ... coordinating the arpeggiated right hand sections.
[/b]
Hi Manndrew,

many thanks for taking the time to listen to my submission and giving me your feedback. Unfortunately, I have got some difficulties to understand exactly what you mean. Any further hints would be appreciated.

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1005763 - 11/19/08 04:04 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Manndrew Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Benny,

I think that when you slow down the tempo in the sections with the right hand broken chords (I think this begins at measure 17, the e minor chord)it throws off the consistency of that passage and makes it difficult to pick up the accents at the right notes. I hope you can follow what I mean. I'm sure it's your interpretation of the piece, but those slight hesitations in tempo effect the passage for me.

Andy

#1005764 - 11/19/08 04:15 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Benny Offline

Loc: Germany
Oh yes, ok, I think I understand what you mean.
Actually, I play with this section sometimes with rubato and sometimes with steady rhythm and clearer accents. Probably a hint that I am not so sure about my interpretation here ...
Thanks again, Andy!

#1005765 - 11/19/08 05:24 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
cont-

#12. ohitpro- A very meditative piece. Bella, my siamese, is on my lap purring away so it must be good. Nice playing.

#55. mir1899- man i've always wanted to learn some rag but never have the patience. Fantastic job. Nice recording too.

#62. Bluekeys- Ha ha, I went right from the ragtime to your Mozart. Quite the difference. Yea it's obvious you have not quite mastered it yet but I think you really have the feel and it really isn't that far! And you have some very nice runs in there. I hope you keep working it? It's a wonderful bright and happy piece.

#77. Theowne- Wow! That was beautifuly played. I don't know what else to say. \:\) You play like a pro. Have you really only been playing three years?

#1005766 - 11/19/08 05:25 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
double post

#1005767 - 11/19/08 06:06 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Babs_ Offline

Loc: Gulf Coast
******** QUOTE TX DENNIS[/b]
60 Babs - Prelude in B Minor (op28,no.6), Chopin[/b]
Do I hear a television in the background?
  • I dunno, it might have been the large aquarium that was in the same room as the recorder, maybe next time I will move the recorder further away from the aquarium.

---Babs ;\)

#1005768 - 11/19/08 06:19 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Here's more....

I've listened to the whole recital on my mp3 player at work..(shh) These comments are on ones that I was able to listen to without any distractions..... The rest I'll need to listen to again.

32. joangolfing - Lied ohne Worte Op. 19 #4 "Confidence" Song Without Words[/b] This is a beautiful piece and the made me Mendelssohn fan. I’ve yet to play one of these though but I listen to it all the time. You did a nice job!

33. LisztAddict - Gounod Ave Maria with Bach Prelude in C major from WTC book 1[/b]. This is the first time that I heard this piece where I actually wanted to learn it. I thought it was perfect! (to do)

34. Gary001 - Minuet in G Major[/b] Really well done. I really like the soft parts.

35. Paul Cast - Sonatina Op.36 No.2-1 Allegretto[/b] Don't you just love sonatinas! I've done a few and find them a challenge as there is so much variety within each piece. You did a nice job on this one.

36. Frotz / Brian - Sonata in A Major - Mvmt. 3 - Alla Turca[/b] This is a challenging piece I'm sure. I've heard it before and have to admit that as a listener I find it goes on a bit too long. But that's not your fault!! and it's probably a blast to play
You did a great job.

38. jotur - Cathy Turner - Stone's Rag[/b] Wow! Awesome! You had my toes tapping. Thanks!

39. Euphonatrix - Album for the young Nr. 26 *** (untitled)[/b] Really nice job on this piece. I enjoyed all of it and couldn't hear your feather friend in the background.

40. Daren - Le Onde[/b] Nice! The red dot obviously doesn't bother you! Very relaxing and sort of hypnotizing. Loved it!

41. Pixie's friend - BWV Anh 131 (Notebook of Anna Magdalena Bach, n 32, untitled)[/b] This is amazing for only 4 months! nice job!!)

42. WJ3 - Walt - Minuet in G Major[/b] I remember learning this and loved playing it. You did a nice job.

43. mahlzeit - After Watching A Sentimental Movie[/b] Really enjoyed this piece. I've just started Jazz Improv lessons...maybe someday I'll be able to do this!!

44. Eighty8 - My One And Only Love[/b] You played this with a lot of feeling and I like the slow lazy tempo.

45. MarkL/Mark Leininger - Le Coucou (The Cuckoo)[/b] It's great to imagine the sounds this way. My teacher tries to get me to do this all the time. You really had the cuckoo steady! Great job.(to do)

46. Manndrew - You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To[/b] Wonderful. I'm still awed by improv and fake book folks. did you write this down when you were done?

48. Undone – Jim - Theme from Etude Op. 10, No 3.[/b] ] Nice! I’ve done the ‘unadulterated’ version of just this much and I’d bet you could also. This doesn’t sound that much easier! Good job.

55. mlr1899 - Swipesy[/b] Great! It's so hard to keep that up for as long as you did. My jazz rhythm is weak and I could never keep up the pace for so long. Not many warts that I could hear!

56. rustyfingers - Sentimental Journey[/b] I loved it! You played it nicely with a lazy bluesy feel.

58. Ozor Mox - The Portrait[/b] This was lovely. I have the Celine Dion version and I agree (blech). Your dad must have been thrilled! You did a nice job from memory!

59. Schubertian - Prelude #13 (F# Major)[/b] No need to record again. This was fine! We are all our own worst critics.. I didn't hear the "Oh no!"s and unless they are quite familar with the piece, I'd bet no one else did either.

60. Babs - Prelude in B Minor (op28,no.6)[/b] I love this piece and keep looking at my score and picking at that left hand melody. It's awesome! You did a great job and have inspired me to learn it.

61. Oxfords Gal - Clowns OP 39 No. 20[/b] My teacher also assigns things that I don't think I'll like. Usually I do and they are great learning pieces. They are, however, pieces that I never want to keep in any kind of repetoire and although they are fun to play, I don't think of them as nice to listen to. This was sort of like this and because I do play I can imagine the fun you had learning it!

62. bluekeys - Sonata in C (K545)[/b] Nice job. This is a piece I don't want to learn but love hearing how others tackle it. I bet it's fun play.

65. Piano*Dad - Waltz in C-sharp minor Op. 64 no. 2[/b] I always look forward to your entries. Very professional and a joy to listen to. I'm glad you began contributing. I hope to play at your level someday....Thanks for sharing.

70. Hisalone (Joel) - Bumble Boogie[/b] Wow! I thought my piece was fast! Mine's largo in comparison. Awesome. How DO you get your fingers to fly and keep it up for so long! Amazing... and fun to listen to also!!

72. Mar_red - Moon River[/b] I loved this arrangement. Thanks for sharing!

75. etorrales - Nocturn in Eb Major[/b] Wonderful. I really like how you take your time with the runs and trills. I tend to panic and rush through them and they end up as a smush and the following notes are often too fast as well... I'll look forward to my first Chopin Nocturne but I expect it will be awhile.

77. Theowne - Prelude to the "Tombeau de Couperin" Suite[/b] Another entry I always look forward to and am constantly amazed by your skill after such a short time... 3.. you mean 3 decades right?.. Awesome. I hope you did, are or plan to study music in college.

#1005769 - 11/19/08 08:33 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
ohitpro Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano:
Is it the WST25FStein_00Sep22.SF2, the Steinway Grand Piano 1.2.SF2, or the Steinway bright 1.2.SF2? I really liked it, that's why I ask. [/b]
It was the Steinway Grand Piano 1.2.SF2 with the default settings. I'm new with this and had trouble on upload day so I'd like to take more time with the setup for the next recital.

Do you have any tips for tweaking Synthfont? Thanks!

#1005770 - 11/19/08 09:02 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
15. Kawaigirl1 - Winter Walk[/b]

After snowflakes, now a Winter Walk! Very austere piece, befitting winter. These New Age pieces all seem to be about voicing simple melodies with precision and finesse. The syncopation adds forward motion. I'll bet this is a crowd pleaser. Hah, surprised me with the major switch in the last cadence. :-)

16. flyingfroggy - Prelude in C# minor Op. 3 No. 2[/b]

Ah, this piece brings back high school memories. Alas, not all of those memories are pleasant! Another story. That recording setup certainly doesn't do credit to the fine Schimmel. Join the Zoom age!

Don't worry about the edit. The middle part needs some careful work to get it sounding relaxed at a higher speed, but that'll come.

17. Orez Eno - Comptine d'un autre ete: l'apres-midi[/b]

This is indeed a favorite. No need to apologize for offering your take, and on only 15 months training!

18. glitzer - Petite valse from Kinderalbum[/b]

This is such a charming turn of the century drawing room piece. I can visualize a family gathered around the piano in the evening singing and playing for each other. I wish we did it more today.

19. Eternal - Right Here Waiting[/b]

I continue to be mightily impressed at the quality of playing from the true adult beginners here.

20. TrueBeginner - Les Reves Du Matin ( The Morning Dreams )[/b]

Too hard on yourself, TB. Yes, those patterns are continually shifting and that adds a lot of difficulty that a non-pianist probably would not notice, but this is quite a piece to tackle on nine months training. Now that you have the left hand arpeggio pattern in your fingers, Onward to Chopin Etude Op. 10 no. 9. !!!
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1005771 - 11/19/08 10:19 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
 Quote:
I hope you did, are or plan to study music in college.
I considered it at one point (but decided on engineering), but although you are complimenting me as such, my related skills are actually quite bad, my sight-reading atrocious, my scales uneven and unpleasant...that is the price I paid for rushing so much into difficult pieces while ignoring the "basics".....I would probably be the laughing stock of the music faculty if I did attempt to enter and could not accompany-by-sight even the most basic pieces, regardless of how many flashy pieces I could play.

#1005772 - 11/19/08 10:35 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
 Quote:
Originally posted by ohitpro:
It was the Steinway Grand Piano 1.2.SF2 with the default settings. I'm new with this and had trouble on upload day so I'd like to take more time with the setup for the next recital.

Do you have any tips for tweaking Synthfont? Thanks! [/b]
I don't. I'm new at this too. The only tweaking I've tried on the settings was trying to get a consistent volume between the various soundfonts I've tried.

Yours sounds much better than when I tried that font. On my recordings, it sounds like the microphone is on the other side of the room from the piano.

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

#1005773 - 11/20/08 06:49 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
mlr1899 Offline

Loc: Colorado
Riddler (Ed) - Rhapsody In Blue -- Gershwin is one of my favorites! Nicely played.

Kawaigirl1 - Winter Walk -- This is one of David Nevue’s original pieces that is starting to grow on me. Enjoyed!

Flyingfroggy - Prelude in C# minor Op. 3 No. 2 -- Whoa!! I think your pacing on this was just about perfect. Well done!

#1005774 - 11/20/08 08:57 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Manndrew Offline

21. Laura D - Sonata K. 95, L. 358[/b] Very lively and energetic. Good work on the ornaments. They can be very tricky.

22. John Frank - Hava Nagila[/b] Aside from a few timing and/or note duration problems, not too bad.

23. Honnli / Steven - Suteki Da Ne / Isn't It Beautiful (Piano Collections)[/b] This is a very dramatic piece. You shaded the various passages well. Good performance.

24. Casyopea - Radio Ballet[/b] Nice even tempo with the accompaniment. Very good technique for only 11 months experience.

25. epf - La Styrienne (Op 100, No. 14)[/b] This is a fun little piece, played well.

26. Diane Cornellier - Minuet in G[/b] This was excellent for only 6 months. Steady and with inciteful interpretation.

27. Serge88 - Imagine[/b] I liked your arrangement Serge. The theme stood out very well.

28. Seaside_Lee - What A Wonderful World[/b] Great arrangement, Lee, with some very interesting chord and tempo changes. I especially liked the part near the end when you played almost a "stride-like" left hand. Nice finish.

29. Copper - Here There and Everywhere[/b]
One of my favorite Beatles tunes. You brought the melody out very well. A nice gentle touch.

30. Mike White Yamaha G3 & P-80 - Granada[/b]
Excellent job on what sounded like a very tricky piece. I love the theme in the second section. Fine work on those trills.

#1005775 - 11/20/08 01:20 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Manndrew Offline

IPIBAHN - Sandy wrote:[/b]
 Quote:
did you write this down when you were done?
Sandy,

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no patience when it comes to writing out music so it's all in my head. Of course playing it 100 times helps the recall.

Andy

#1005776 - 11/20/08 01:45 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Babs_ Offline

Loc: Gulf Coast
I want to thank all of you who commented on my piece. It really made my day.

01. Lisztener - "Gone"[/b] Gorgeous and breathtaking! Your tone is right on target. The melody is so smooth, just like a smooth jazz tune should be!

02. dannylux / Mel - Glinka Nocturne in E flat[/b] Wow! What a romantic piece! I can hear the love in the piece and your playing of it was just gorgeous!

03. AnthonyB - Stella Del Mattino[/b] Beautiful! You play so well for someone who has only been playing only for 10 months! You really do a fine job keeping it steady and smooth!

04. Ode2Joy - Prelude in F minor BWV 881[/b] Congrats on your first recital piece! I thought you played it very nicely!

05. Mr. super-hunky - *Magicland*[/b] What Great impro skills you have! The blending of the different melodies really flowed very well together. This is a feel good tune! Be proud!

06. jazzyprof - Etude op.25 #1 (Aeolian Harp)[/b] Another gorgeous Chopin piece! Sounds difficult and you sure played very impressively with all those dynamics.

07. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Polskie drogi (Polish roads)[/b] I always enjoy pieces from different cultures ! You play so expressively and do a fine job out bringing out the melody.

08. Peyton - The Last Man Alive[/b] You are a man of so many talents, you can compose play piano and sing with wonderful emotion, plus I love your artwork!!!

09. Monica K. - Fairest Lord Jesus[/b] Be very proud to play this hymn for your friends and family! What a great piece for the holidays! I love the arrangement too.I like it when the tempo starts to pick up in the piece and I thought that you did that part very nicely! !

10. Knotty - Just Friends - Improvisation Etude[/b] Wow I felt like I was in a jazz club in Pittsburgh and that's good!

11. Benny - Comptine d'un autre été: l'après-midi[/b] I never tire of this song! good job on all those arpeggios, I always found it challenging!

12. ohitpro - Morning Snowfall[/b] Congrats on your first recital piece! I enjoyed your song it had a pretty melody and I thought you played it so pretty and so smooth.

13. b528nf7 - Bill - Ol' Man River[/b] I always enjoy hearing old tunes .I enjoyed your video and listening to you play.

14. Riddler (Ed) - Rhapsody In Blue[/b] Gershwin sure was a genius wasn't he? Good job on this classic piece!

15. Kawaigirl1 - Winter Walk[/b] Love this Nevue tune and I thought you did a good job bringing out the melody . Your piano sounds lovely too!

16. flyingfroggy - Prelude in C# minor Op. 3 No. 2 [/b] This sounds like a tough piece, nice playing on the chords, I especially liked the middle part of the song it was pretty.

17. Orez Eno - Comptine d'un autre ete: l'apres-midi[/b] I never tire of this tune! I found all the arpreggios in this song to be somewhat challenging,but you seemed to handle them just fine!

18. glitzer - Petite valse from Kinderalbum[/b] Oh what a charming tune this is and and how you played that charm so well. Loved it!

19. Eternal - Right Here Waiting[/b] Good job at keeping the melody intact! Pretty arrangement too!

20. TrueBeginner - Les Reves Du Matin ( The Morning Dreams )[/b] I am not familiar with this but I enjoyed it. I thought you played the dynamics quite well.

Well I believe that sums it up. :p

#1005777 - 11/20/08 09:36 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
This is the last batch, I think:

Kawaigirl1 - lovely, and as usual a lovely rendition.

Eternal - I'm not actually familiar with this piece, but I liked it a lot. Very nicely played, with good feeling.

TrueBeginner - Congratulations on tackling this piece even after you found it to be trickier than you thought it would be! You did a great job with it, and I admire your tenacity.

Honnli/Steven - The intro to this would be a good accompaniment for the Pictures of Autumn thread - like leaves circling to the ground. I liked your dynamics on this, and the quick LH arpeggios.

epf - a really fine waltz! And a great tempo for it, too - I can see ladies in long gloves swirling around the ballroom with gentlemen in tuxedos. Well played, with a nice lift.

Mike White - what a charming piece. The 2-octave arpeggios in the LH would be *impossible* for me \:\) You had very nice rubatos here, and an easy laid-back kind of feel.

joangolfing - another lovely piece. Well played.

Frotz/Brian - not too slow for me, and I was immediately keeping time with the music. All the accents and tempo in the right place. I liked it a lot.

Ken S. - this had a kind of Spanish flavor, I think because of your dynamics and ornaments. Very nice.

Daren - well, for those of us who aren't with the PW delegation at the Einaudi concert, this was a good substituion. A lovely interpretation.

mahlzeit - nice music for web-surfing after a long day at work. Which is exactly what I'm doing. Very relaxing.

Eighty8 - I know just the bar this would be perfect for, tho it's unfortunately not in Santa Fe. But the music and the bar have that late night with your significant other feel to them. I loved this.

Manndrew - I used to imagine the Lone Ranger and Tonto as tiny little people inside the radio. Our radio was on tall legs and we'd lay underneath it to listen. As for your piece, you could alternate nights at same bar as Eighty8. I went to a "duelling piano" bar in Las Vegas a couple of years ago, and I wish they'd spent their time playing like you two do instead of trying to incite the crowd to put more money in their jars. *I* would have put more money in their jars if they had. (Did that come out right?) But, as usual, I loved this.

Greywullf - this was livelier than I've gotten used to Chopin being in these recitals. Thanks for introducing me to another side of this composer.

RobM - ah, yes, another compensation for not being at the Einaudi concert. Maybe he should have all the ABFers play as the opening act for one of his concerts. This was very nicely done.

grotrianer - well done - great dynamics! Congratulations on taking up piano again - it's wonderful to come back, isn't it?

babama - very nicely played, and a good interpretation for this piece.

Ozor Mox - I liked this, but I'm not familiar with the piece. But I am impressed that you could pick up this arrangement by ear. Bravo.

Piano*Dad - so many waltzes this recital. This had some very nice dramatic pieces, and then those taking-off swirls. It seemd very much that it was telling a story and that there should be a stage set with ballet dancers behind the orchestra \:\)

ddh - Daniel - well, I suppose you'll don more classical since this was so successful. Very contemplative.

etorrales - oh, this was lovely. From the very first I recognized it of course, but you played it so wonderfully wistfully. I could just see Tinkerbell putting children to sleep \:\) (yes, I know Tinkerbell was more likely to get 'em up and going, but this is still the image I had.)

Theowne - amazing piano work there. Great ending to this recital - leaves us wanting more!

Thanks all, for so many wonderful hours of piano.

Cathy

#1005778 - 11/21/08 02:28 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Manndrew Offline

31. LaValse - Prelude Op 2[/b] You have a very nice light touch on this piece. The melody sings out quite well. Thank you for providing the sheet music link.

32. joangolfing - Lied ohne Worte Op. 19 #4 "Confidence" Song Without Words[/b] This was a wonderful melody. I liked the way you played the syncopated sections. Very good "singing" tone here.

33. LisztAddict - Gounod Ave Maria with Bach Prelude in C major from WTC book 1[/b] For sheer execution, technique and musicality, I have to say that so far this is my favorite piece of the recital. Absolutely beautiful.

34. Gary001 - Minuet in G Major[/b] Aside from that f/f# oversight I thought this was very good. Nice pace and evenness of rhythm.

35. Paul Cast - Sonatina Op.36 No.2-1 Allegretto[/b] Quite good. Very steady and smooth throughout.

36. Frotz / Brian - Sonata in A Major - Mvmt. 3 - Alla Turca[/b] All in all a very good effort. Nice dynamic range and evenly played. You seem to have it under control and it may be just a matter of hand strength/stamina that causes the small mistakes.

37. Ken S. - Chopin a minor waltz (posthumous)[/b] I think that waltz tempo is so much trickier than common time. You did very well with this piece. The embellishments were great and you kept it moving throughout.

38. jotur - Cathy Turner - Stone's Rag[/b]

This was wonderful, Cathy. Especially considering that you added the left hand sections as well. Very spirited and true to the ragtime style. I really liked the "Yankee Doodle" segway. Very clever. Your technique is excellent.

39. Euphonatrix - Album for the young Nr. 26 *** (untitled)[/b] I'm not familiar with this piece, but it's very pretty. Your melodic line was excellent and you brought out the left hand when required very smoothly. I'm sure it's me, but I didn't notice any extraneous sounds that may have originated from your "accompaniests."

40. Daren - Le Onde[/b] I love the key changes in this piece. Excellent tempo and rhythm. Good balance between the left and right hands. The upper registers of that Roland are great. I have an FP-7 which falls a little short in that area.

#1005779 - 11/21/08 04:38 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
flyingfroggy Offline

I am so impressed with all the talent and hard work on display in this wonderful recital! \:\) I’d like to thank everyone who commented on my first recital submission. I actually had an attack of “stage fright” as I uploaded my piece. I really have to stop taking myself so seriously…

Here are some comments; more to follow.

23. Honnli / Steven - Suteki Da Ne / Isn't It Beautiful (Piano Collections)[/b]
I love this piece, in fact, it’s on my “to learn” list. You played it beautifully!

24. Casyopea - Radio Ballet[/b] (to do)
I am amazed by your ability to play this by ear. You did a great job. The piece is curiously addicting—I had it playing in my head all day!

25. epf - La Styrienne (Op 100, No. 14)[/b] (to do)
Very enjoyable—you have a nice touch and made it sound effortless.

26. Diane Cornellier - Minuet in G[/b] (to do)
Great job, it’s hard to believe you only have 6 months experience!

27. Serge88 - Imagine[/b] Very nicely played—you look relaxed and confident in the video, too!

28. Seaside_Lee - What A Wonderful World[/b] Beautiful! I found myself singing along in the car while I listened. I am in awe of anyone who can play by ear.

29. Copper - Here There and Everywhere[/b] (to do)
One of my favorite Beatles songs. You played it nicely!

30. Mike White Yamaha G3 & P-80 - Granada[/b] Beautiful—you made it sound effortless!

31. LaValse - Prelude Op 2[/b] Very expressively played—nice!

#1005780 - 11/21/08 05:29 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
21. Laura D - Sonata K. 95, L. 358[/b]

Good clean ornaments! That's tough to do. I have actually never played anything by Scarlatti. That's a mistake. There are so many wonderful and devilish sonatas by him.

22. John Frank - Hava Nagila[/b]

I still remember singing this in third grade! :-) It has always been a fun favorite of mine.

The bridge part of the piece sounded like an interesting New Age method of transitioning between the two sections! One critical comment that others may have mentioned already .... rhythm control. In some measures I think I heard a certain amount of shortchanging of the tempo.

I have played the 301. That's a nice digital machine.

23. Honnli / Steven - Suteki Da Ne / Isn't It Beautiful (Piano Collections)[/b]

I certainly couldn't play like that after three years! These recitals are feasts of new age music.

24. Casyopea - Radio Ballet[/b]

One of the beauties of this recital series is that we get to hear what serious adults can produce with such a short amount of time on the bench. That was very good work, Casyopea.

25. epf - La Styrienne (Op 100, No. 14)[/b]

this is also a very cleanly ornamented piece. Mistakes, hah. That was fine work! I might try working for a bit more dynamic variation and perhaps some clearer phrasing.

26. Diane Cornellier - Minuet in G[/b]

Wow, memories! My son played this too. Six months training. I'm impressed. One small comment: I would not accent the first notes of each measure quite so much. On a baroque keyboard that would not be how it would sound.
Grotrian 192 #156455

#1005781 - 11/21/08 08:09 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Diane Cornellier Offline

Loc: New England
Piano*Dad wrote of my playing:
I would not accent the first notes of each measure quite so much. On a baroque keyboard that would not be how it would sound.

How observant of you. Thank you very much. I guess my playing was affected by my natural tendency to follow the beat. I didn't even realize that I was doing it.

#1005782 - 11/22/08 06:02 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
mlr1899 Offline

Orez Eno - Comptine d'un autre ete: l'apres-midi -- Congratulations on all your progress! This was very cleanly played. Well done!

glitzer - Petite valse from Kinder album -- You play with a lot of charm. Nicely done.

Eternal - Right Here Waiting -- I’ve definitely heard this one before. Well played.

TrueBeginner - Les Reves Du Matin ( The Morning Dreams ) -- You may have found this challenging, but I think you pulled it off pretty well. Very enchanting tune.

Laura D - Sonata K. 95, L. 358 -- Scarlatti is fun! Good speed and nice job on the trills. Trills always give me fits.

John Frank - Hava Nagila -- I usually have the same experience with the red dot. I can’t seem to get a decent take until I’ve thoroughly frustrated myself. Nicely played!

Honnli / Steven - Suteki Da Ne / Isn't It Beautiful (Piano Collections) -- Nice tune! Computer game music has certainly come a long way.

Casyopea - Radio Ballet -- You played this with a lot of feeling. Your love for this piece definitely shows.

#1005783 - 11/22/08 07:15 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:

22. John Frank - Hava Nagila[/b]

I still remember singing this in third grade! :-) It has always been a fun favorite of mine.

The bridge part of the piece sounded like an interesting New Age method of transitioning between the two sections! One critical comment that others may have mentioned already .... rhythm control. In some measures I think I heard a certain amount of shortchanging of the tempo.

[/b]
Piano*Dad - the bridge between the two main sections is a very effective transition, designed - in my view - to increase both the speed and dynamics of the piece - I'm not so sure that it's "New Agey" - it's probably far too uptempo and "dramatic" for that, I would think - and the increase in tempo called for here in this bridge is followed by another accelerando in section 2, which may account for what you describe as a "shortchanging" of the tempo - but maybe you mean something else? If so, I'm interested in any details you'd want to provide, and maybe you would like to post your additional comments in the Critical Discussion thread. Thanks.

Regards, JF

As good at piano as I am at golf - very high handicap!

#1005784 - 11/22/08 04:31 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Daren Offline

Loc: Staffordshire,England
I would just like to say that I have enjoyed all the masterpieces in this 12 recital and how delighted I am to have taken part myself.For those that have taken the time to comment on my own performance I thankyou and I have also taken time to make a small comment on your efforts.

Rustyfingers. Sentimental Journey .- Effortless performance and a great sounding piano well played.

Mati. Polskie drogi (Polish roads).- Very well played and good piano sound from Garritan Steinway Standard.I like to play this type of music myself.

Babs. Prelude in B Minor (op28,no.6).- You did a great job of your first ever classical recording of a very nice chopin piece and good left hand work.

AdagioM. Vals No. 1 from Valses Poeticos. - I like the romantic waltzes also and you played this one well and the zoom h2 recorder records great,I have one of these also.

Kawai,Hi Dragon Fly. - kept it moving very well played with a good finish to it.

epf. La Styrienne (Op 100, No. 14).- I could'nt spot the mistakes.It sounded a very difficult piece to play.You played it well.

ohitpro Snowfaohitpro. Morning ll .- I enjoyed listning to this and good playing for only 1.5 years of playing.

IPIBAHN-sandy. Tarantella - Prokofiev .-This sounded very hard to play,you did a great job keeping the tempo,good playing.

jotur Stone's Rag.- Fun toe tapping piece,well played

Manndrew. You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To - Very nice I particuly like the additional improvisation you gave this piece and the left hand was fine.

#1005785 - 11/22/08 06:00 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
Hi, sorry I'm a little late to the party. I have listened to almost every piece so far using the streaming player and loved it all. Well done, everyone!

For my official comments, I will hopefully do 10 or 11 a day over the next week. So without further ado, I'm sitting with a glass of one of the finest beers in the world (Chimay Bleu), and I shall start:

Lisztener [/b] A beautiful opening to the recital! You playing was very relaxed, and let the piece breathe - it sounded fantastic!

Dannylux [/b] As ever, your playing was spot on. I'm not familiar with the piece but it sounded lovely.

AnthonyB [/b] One of my favourite Einaudi pieces and didn't disappoint. The middle, faster section was particularly impressive, you got the notes very clean.

Ode2Joy [/b] It was a pleasure to listen to. Really inspired me to go look for the sheet music!

Super-Hunky [/b] Wow, you wrote this! You should be sending this to Whisperings Radio. Really, really cool stuff!

Jazzyprof [/b] Wow, what a piece to play! Really loved the delicacy and the flow yu got throughout. The emphasis on the individual notes of the melody was also great.

Mati [/b] Really beautiful piece and really beautiful playing. This is certainly getting put on 'repeat' on the iPod. Bravo!

Peyton [/b] I wasn't expecting the singing! But am glad when I listened further because the piece is very atmospheric and the lyrics are great. I can only imagine how difficult it can be to play and sing together, so awesome job on that!

Monica K [/b] As usual, a top performance. Very smooth playing and good use of dynamics. A really nice piece to listen to.

Knotty [/b] So cool! I couldn't resist nodding my head in time with the beat. Your playing brought a smile to my face, and jazz isn't really even my sort of music. Nice one!

Benny [/b] Ah, the classic Yann Tiersen piece. You did it great justice, you playing sounded fantastic. Well done!

#1005786 - 11/22/08 10:58 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
ddh Offline

Loc: Abitibi
Second set of 11 comments:

12. ohitpro - Morning Snowfall[/b] Very evocative and light; well done.

13. b528nf7 - Bill - Ol' Man River[/b] Much hart and soul poured into your music; great job.

14. Riddler (Ed) - Rhapsody In Blue[/b] Monumental endeavour, this; I like the arrangement that preserves the essenccial of the piece; very well executed indeed. Thanks.

15. Kawaigirl1 - Winter Walk[/b] Once again, You crafted a jewel of a piece, chiseling every note, ever so gently coaxing every nuance; thank You for sharing this beautiful music.

16. flyingfroggy - Prelude in C# minor Op. 3 No. 2[/b] Another giant piece of music; you demonstrate a level of competence that I can only dream of for the moment; I also happen to love this piece; thank You for such a good interpretation.

17. Orez Eno - Comptine d'un autre ete: l'apres-midi[/b] This type of rhythm and wonderful seperation between hands always reminds me of a conversation (melody) in a moving car or train (background); thank You for this evocative piece.

18. glitzer - Petite valse from Kinderalbum[/b] Lovely little piece indeed; flawlessly performed, thank You.

19. Eternal - Right Here Waiting[/b] A classic popular piece indeed; very enjoyable, thank You.

20. TrueBeginner - Les Reves Du Matin ( The Morning Dreams )[/b] The softness with which You play and the sound of Your piano make for a truely dreamy ambiance throughout. Thank You for another evocative piece.

21. Laura D - Sonata K. 95, L. 358[/b] Lovely demonstration of why I hate Bach and his contemporaries: I'll never be able to play that :p this being said I enjoyed it a lot and congratulate You on your very good performance.

22. John Frank - Hava Nagila[/b] Good job on a difficult rhythm; thanks.

Thanks to those who have listened and commented on my entry; it warms my heart and pushes me to continue more than You know.

#1005787 - 11/23/08 07:46 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
mlr1899 Offline

epf - La Styrienne (Op 100, No. 14) -- Very charming piece! Your articulation of the melody is very nice. Good job on the ornaments.

Diane Cornellier - Minuet in G -- Very cleanly and evenly played. Good job!

Serge88 - Imagine -- My wife said she likes this better than John Lennon’s version.

Seaside_Lee - What A Wonderful World -- Good tune! Very nicely played.

Copper - Here There and Everywhere -- Very cleanly played!

Mike White Yamaha G3 & P-80 - Granada -- Nice to hear some Spanish piano. I know what you mean about the left hand arpeggios. Nice singing melody. Well played. I have the music for this. I may have to give it a try.

LaValse - Prelude Op 2 -- I think you do an excellent job of interpreting this composer. Enjoyed!

joangolfing - Lied ohne Worte Op. 19 #4 "Confidence" Song Without Words -- Good to hear some Mendelssohn. You played with confidence!

#1005788 - 11/23/08 11:02 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Serge88 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
The recital is getting bigger and it gets harder to comment on each one and it takes time to listen to everyone submission.

I just want to thanks everyone for this wonderful recital.

And thanks Rosanna and the others for the kind comments.

Serge

“Being able to hear recorded music freed up loads of musicians that couldn't necessarily afford to learn to read or write music. With recording, it was emancipation for the people.”
-Keith Richards

#1005789 - 11/23/08 06:07 PM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, KY
I missed this recital, but I did listen to each and every submission!

When I grow up (which I'm doubtful I ever will) I wanna play like y'all!

Great job everyone and thanks for the great music!

#1005790 - 11/24/08 08:55 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
Manndrew Offline

41. Pixie's friend - BWV Anh 131 (Notebook of Anna Magdalena Bach, n 32, untitled)[/b] Very good performance. You kept up the rhythm very well and moved steadily through the piece. Great for 4 months experience.

42. WJ3 - Walt - Minuet in G Major[/b] Good coordination between left and right hands, Walt. In tempo and with a good touch on the keyboard.

43. mahlzeit - After Watching A Sentimental Movie[/b] I really liked the harmonization in the beginning. Very creative themes, Mahlzeit. It is very reminiscent of the music of the film, but you made it your own. You created good drama with the pauses and rests. Nice!

44. Eighty8 - My One And Only Love[/b] Very nice arrangement. I especially liked your left hand accompaniment. Very smoothly played. I liked your ending.

45. MarkL/Mark Leininger - Le Coucou (The Cuckoo)[/b] Mark, you show dexterity and musicality well beyond your 2 years experience. It was really perfect in all respects.

47. Greywullf - Trois Nouvelles Etude No. 3 in Ab[/b] This sounds pretty tricky. You kept that left hand beat moving very steadily. Your dynamic changes were good as well.

48. Undone – Jim - Theme from Etude Op. 10, No 3.[/b] Also one of my favorite Chopin pieces. A nice job on the clarity of the melody. Very well under control. Maybe just a bit of slowing down and/or speeding up certain passages for a bit more drama would be all I would suggest. Sort of that rubato effect.

49. RobM - Giorni Dispari[/b] You have a very nice touch. Love that pulsating syncopation. Your “dabbling” has paid off. Smooth performance. I like the sound of that Roland.

50. GregF - Brahams's Lullaby[/b] Very smooth arpeggios. Upper register was very clear and stood out well. Good job.

#1005791 - 11/24/08 10:50 AM Re: Recital 12 -- General Discussion Room
(Was)TrueBeginner Offline

Loc: Northern VA, US
I just like to say thanks to Mahlzeit and Monica for organizing the recital, to all the participants for providing wonderful performances and for all the ones who took a lot of time to listen and comments on any pieces.

While I enjoyed reading the comments (on any piece not just mine, as I like to see if I got the same impression/remarks listening to the piece and learn from that) and I listened to each piece at least 3 times, I found that with my limited expertise, most of my comments would come out shallow (i.e. " I like that" or " I haven't heard that before"...)

So maybe in the future I will make comments on every pieces but for now, I think that since last recital, the bar is really high, most of the pieces sound like they come straight out from a professional CD, performance-wise as well as recording-wise. That really put my piece to shame \:\(

I also enjoyed the variety of the types of music submitted.

TB

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
162 registered (accordeur, Adypiano, A Guy, 48 invisible), 1735 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153547 Topics
2250315 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor
by noobpianist90
53 minutes 29 seconds ago
A new performance experience... Need advice.
by Svenno
58 minutes 51 seconds ago
Thoughts on the Yamaha P-255
by voxpops
Today at 01:17 PM
Piano Learning Myths...
by evamar
Today at 12:32 PM
Yamaha U3FS
by Piotr Dydycz
Today at 10:34 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission