2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
jazzyprof and Piano*Dad, thanks for the info on your zoom placement. Very different! I'm still experimenting with mine; mostly I've used it for harmony singing class and community choir. The waltz was its first piano outing. I'm not thrilled with the way the piano sounds on it, but I was recording in mp3 mode and haven't played much with placement yet. I ordered a 4GB card so I can try recording as .wav files. Memory is cheap on Amazon!

I read the 17 page thread on recording with Zooms (mostly H4), and came to the conclusion that I just need to keep experimenting until I find what I like.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by rustyfingers:
Hey, Dennis, we missed you. How sweet of you to take the time to comment even though you didn't enter! Until next time....
TX-Dennis - I second that emotion. You always take the time to comment on every Piano Bar submission as well. It is appreciated.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Matt,

Thanks, you are right. I have two Allegro's right in a row in the book I am working on, one by CPEBach and one by Haydn. I recorded the CPEBach one last month and then when I entered it in the recital I thought it was the Haydn.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
01. Lisztener - "Gone" Very nice touch. The opening really grabbed me. A bit too much pedal (for my taste) resulting in some blurred arpeggios.

02. dannylux / Mel - Glinka Nocturne in E flat I've always thought of this as more bittersweet than sweet. There seems to be a longing that is expressed in the music, and you brought that out so well! Very nicely done.

03. AnthonyB - Stella Del Mattino Excellent! The detachment of the notes really makes the runs so clear.

04. Ode2Joy - Prelude in F minor BWV 881 Very good effort -- nice control over the tempo and the articulation was generally excellent.

05. Mr. super-hunky - *Magicland* Hmmm...spooky without being creepy, an interesting challenge. Your choice of modulations leads to some interesting melodies -- nice composition and well played.

06. jazzyprof - Etude op.25 #1 (Aeolian Harp) Nicely done -- a real challenge to keep the fingers moving, the sounds ringing, and the tempo steady!

07. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Polskie drogi (Polish roads) I don't know this piece, but there is an emptiness in it that you brought out so well. Nicely done!

08. Peyton - The Last Man Alive The darkness in this song reminds me of Leonard Cohen's music from the late 60's and early 70's -- nicely done.

09. Monica K. - Fairest Lord Jesus Hmmm...listening to this I had to put aside knowledge of what the hymn itself sounds like and just listen to you playing this piece. Overall, very nice job! I found a bit too much pedal that blurred the notes, but that's my taste and I know that others have different tastes. The staccato was different for you -- you might want to "bounce" your hands at the wrists a bit to make the staccato a little crisper, but it was good as it was. Well done!

10. Knotty - Just Friends - Improvisation Etude Well, I have to say that I am not terribly knowledgeable when it comes to jazz -- beyond, of course, I know what I like and what I don't. I like this -- really nice touch on the piano (and the accompaniment isn't bad either).

11. Benny - Comptine d'un autre été: l'après-midi Well done, very nice touch and control without making any of the runs seem rushed.

12. ohitpro - Morning Snowfall Nicely played -- a gentle touch that never seemed to be rushed or lagging, e3ven where the music would have allowed that.

13. b528nf7 - Bill - Ol' Man River One of my favorite show tunes (especially Paul Robeson's versions of it). Good job.

14. Riddler (Ed) - Rhapsody In Blue Very well done! I really liked your playing here.

15. Kawaigirl1 - Winter Walk Very good -- well played and the dark qualities of this piece really come out clearly.

16. flyingfroggy - Prelude in C# minor Op. 3 No. 2 Very well done -- I wish this had been recorded with a better system to the fullness of your playing could have come out.

17. Orez Eno - Comptine d'un autre ete: l'apres-midi Good job! Don't worry about other people having submitted it -- your bring your own unique interpretation of the piece. Well played.

18. glitzer - Petite valse from Kinderalbum Nicely done! Good control the tempo and phrasing. This piece really sparkled under your fingers.

19. Eternal - Right Here Waiting Your fingers have this well in hand (and again I have to say that there is too much pedal in this for my taste).

20. TrueBeginner - Les Reves Du Matin ( The Morning Dreams ) This is better than you said it was. As with some other pieces here, I felt there was too much pedal and that resulted in blurred notes. Other than that, very nice.

21. Laura D - Sonata K. 95, L. 358 Nice crisp trills! Well played!

22. John Frank - Hava Nagila Good effort! This is a piece that one can do a lot with.

23. Honnli / Steven - Suteki Da Ne / Isn't It Beautiful (Piano Collections) I'm not into "Final Fantasy" so all the music from it is new to me. It seems well played with nice control over the tempo. I wonder about the dynamics, but that's something that is more feel than anything else since, as I said, I don't know the music.

24. Casyopea - Radio Ballet This has a nice feel to it, well played.

I'll continue this shortly...

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
01. Lisztener - "Gone" A beautiful piece that i'm not familiar with. Very even and rhythmical left hand accompaniment. Shading was excellent. Great use of crescendo and rests to create dramatic effect.

02. dannylux / Mel - Glinka Nocturne in E flat Great job. It sounds like this piece had a lot going on. You handled it well. Runs and trills were very effective. The arpeggiated sections were very smooth and effortless.

03. AnthonyB - Stella Del Mattino Good job Anthony. You kept the piece moving along very well. It does sound like a bit of a workout., but your playing really came across as light and smooth.

04. Ode2Joy - Prelude in F minor BWV 881 Nice balance between the left and right hand. Your ornamentation was spot on. I liked it when you played certain passages more staccato. Really good job.

05. Mr. super-hunky - *Magicland* Some very interesting themes here. Nice balance of tempos as well. I really liked the sections that you accelerated. Well done.

06. jazzyprof - Etude op.25 #1 (Aeolian Harp) A wonderful recording. Your lightness of touch made the piece come alive and was absolutely like the sound of a harp. Terrific finish as well.

07. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Polskie drogi (Polish roads) Mati, I don't throw around words like this too often, but that was lovely. Played with great expression, holding back at the right moments and letting the theme speak for itself. Excellent.

08. Peyton - The Last Man Alive Wow, Peyton that blew me away. It almost had a theatre quality to it for dramatic effect. I thought you matched the music to the lyrics very well. Impressive.

09. Monica K. - Fairest Lord Jesus I loved the syncopated rhythms to this piece. It flowed along beautifully. You should try some other traditional hymns, Monica, and put your own stamp on them.

10. Knotty - Just Friends - Improvisation Etude Now this is my kind of music. I'm not clear on the accompaniment. How did you incorporate the bass and drum sections? I'd love to be able to do add that to my playing. Your improv was excellent. You really get into that off of the beat style that's so necessary in jazz. Wish it was longer. Very cool.

[Linked Image]
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Continuing with numbers 25 to 49...

25. epf - La Styrienne (Op 100, No. 14) What can I say? There are a couple of places where it felt rushed and the overall tempo is too slow!

26. Diane Cornellier - Minuet in G Very nicely done. In the future you might want to let the right hand take the lead and use the left hand more delicately to that it is supporting the melody and not at the same level.

27. Serge88 - Imagine Very well played!

28. Seaside_Lee - What A Wonderful World Nice interpretation. Some extra long pauses that seemed to affect the overall flow.

29. Copper - Here There and Everywhere Nicely played, very sweet sound. The tempo seemed a little slow to me, but I really only vaguely remember the piece from my youth...

30. Mike White Yamaha G3 & P-80 - Granada Very nice playing. The accompaniment stayed in the background where it belongs while the melody rode over the top cleanly. Good job!

31. LaValse - Prelude Op 2 Very nice touch on this piece. A lot of Scriabin can be played very loud, but this sweet piece really needs a gentle touch -- and you provided that very well.

32. joangolfing - Lied ohne Worte Op. 19 #4 "Confidence" Song Without Words Nice touch! Good control is evidenced throughout this piece.

33. LisztAddict - Gounod Ave Maria with Bach Prelude in C major from WTC book 1 Well played! Your left hand retained a nice even pulse while the melody was brought out clearly and effectively.

34. Gary001 - Minuet in G Major Hmmmm...if my ears aren't deceiving me you have an F natural that should be an F# throughout the piece. Other than that, nicely played.

35. Paul Cast - Sonatina Op.36 No.2-1 Allegretto Good articulation on this piece. You might want to work more on the dynamics -- this was played at pretty much the same level throughout.

36. Frotz / Brian - Sonata in A Major - Mvmt. 3 - Alla Turca Well played! A few small mistakes, a hesitation or two and some issues with dynamics mar an otherwise good performance.

37. Ken S. - Chopin a minor waltz (posthumous) A strange hesitation before the third beat of most measures over accentuates the nature of the waltz. There were also some tempo issues (a little rushed in some places, and too much rubato in others) but otherwise pretty well played.

38. jotur - Cathy Turner - Stone's Rag Another rag! Nice tempo, a little ragged in places (no pun intended) but it works well overall. The recording seems a little fuzzy at the start.

39. Euphonatrix - Album for the young Nr. 26 *** (untitled) Hmmm, never had any feathered friends, but used to have a cat who would bat at my foot as I peddled during a piece. Nicely played
with a gentle touch.

40. Daren - Le Onde I have trouble memorizing anything so I tend to always play from the score. This is nicely rendered -- good articulation and dynamics.

41. Pixie's friend - BWV Anh 131 (Notebook of Anna Magdalena Bach, n 32, untitled) Good job!

42. WJ3 - Walt - Minuet in G Major Hmmm...didn't I just hear this? How wonderful that we have multiple submissions of some pieces as it allows us to hear the individuality of pieces even when the same notes are played! Good touch on this, nice balance between the hands. You didn't rush this anywhere and brought out the melody cleanly. A couple of tiny slips but still quite acceptable.

43. mahlzeit - After Watching A Sentimental Movie The opening sequence is, indeed, evocative of "Autumn Leaves" -- but then you move off on your own. Nice improv.

44. Eighty8 - My One And Only Love Sweet! (Not the PB&J) Well played.

45. MarkL/Mark Leininger - Le Coucou (The Cuckoo) Very nice ornamentation -- crisp and even breaks! Well played. Thanks for the explanation of why you played it the way you did -- I think you accomplished what you said you were shooting for.

46. Manndrew - You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To I see what you mean about the tempo. The opening seems to drag -- but then you fill in and support the piece very nicely. Good job on this old Cole Porter standard.

47. Greywullf - Trois Nouvelles Etude No. 3 in Ab Nice little study, well played!

48. Undone – Jim - Theme from Etude Op. 10, No 3. You played this very well. And since we have had a lot of duplication of pieces I don't see why you worried about it!

49. RobM - Giorni Dispari You did a good job on this piece -- good articulation and tempo control. This seems to lie will under your fingers.

I'll get to the next batch shortly...

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
26 Diane C. - Very nice playing for only 6 months of experience. Keep up the good work.

27 Serge88 - I always love the song Imagine. Nice playing. I would have liked more contrast in loud/softness to add some drama to the song, but that's my personal preference.

31 LaValse - short and sweet!

38 Jotur - I always look forward to your dancy tunes. This is another nice one. I like those walking basslines.

33 LisztAddict - You are always one of my favorite performers to look out for in a recital. This is such a lovely piece. I don't know what is the "right" tempo either, but your playing is surely beautifully.

43 Mahlzeit - I have no clue how to get from where I am to where you are... Seemingly so simple, yet so beautiful. Simply lovely.

44 Eighty8 - Enjoyed your performance of this piece very much.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Epf- thanks. Early Cohen (up to New Skin for the Old Ceremony) are pretty much my favorite songs. Nick Cave and Tom Waits too.

Manndrew- yea, as I said in my little description I really started hearing it as a musical/stage piece so ended up presenting it as such. Glad you felt it that way. Thanks!

Ohitpro- thanks. I like that "Hitchcock" imagery. I would love to do a video/you tube of the song but don't have the resources. that would be really fun.

Lee- I told my wife that someone thought I was "deep". She rolled her eyes. smile

Piano dad- True, I too am a bit old to be "abandoned" by my girl (I hope. I still don't know why she rolled her eyes.) But I can still feel the pain from things that happened like that 30 years ago. Might as well take advantage of it... :rolleyes:

D
D
epf wrote:
26. Diane Cornellier - Minuet in G Very nicely done. In the future you might want to let the right hand take the lead and use the left hand more delicately to that it is supporting the melody and not at the same level.

My piano teacher has asked me to respectfully respond to this advice. She emailed to me the following statement which she feels I should post:

The piece in question, Bach's Minuet in G, was written during the baroque era, at a time when there were no pianos. There were just harpsicords and clavicords, neither of which possessed any dynamic ability. On such instruments it was not possible to play the left hand more softly than the right hand. So although the advice given is good for playing more modern music, it does not apply to Bach's music.

That is the very reason why I, and many other teachers, assign such pieces to beginning students. That is the very reason why Bach's Minuet in G appears in the early lessons of so many standard method books. Beginning students have enough to deal with just finding the notes, never mind the dynamics. Even for students who possess stronger left hand power, I do not correct them for dynamics until they become sufficiently skilled. My experience is that to prematurely overburden beginning students with dynamics is a sure way to overwhelm them beyond their abilities and risk frustrating their desire to learn music.

Of course not everyone agrees with how baroque music should be played, and everyone is free to play any music whatever way they like. Still, there is a very famous, 20th century virtuoso, Wanda Landowska who coined the phrase, "You play Bach your way, I'll play him his way." She played his music on a harpsicord. Myself, despite the fact that my instrument is a modern piano, I still follow Wanda Landowska's advice and I play all notes of both hands from most of Bach's keyboard music at a single dynamic level, and I advise my students to do the same.

OK, now for the second half of the recital...

40. Daren - Le Onde Very, very nice playing - soothing Einaudi piece (which ones aren't?)! First take, even!

41. Pixie's friend - BWV Anh 131 (Notebook of Anna Magdalena Bach, n 32, untitled) Congratulations from one first-timer to another. Terrifice for your first recorded piece!

42. WJ3 - Walt - Minuet in G Major Quite the popular piece this recital and you did a fine job! Bach rarely gets old.

43. mahlzeit - After Watching A Sentimental Movie Also reminded me of the music from the movie, "Love Story". Nice sound!

44. Eighty8 - My One And Only Love A very pretty melody and your playing was really good!

45. MarkL/Mark Leininger - Le Coucou (The Cuckoo) What a great way to capture this sound with such lightness and just the right staccato.

46. Manndrew - You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To You certainly figured out the left hand quite nicely with this 'mostly' improv.

47. Greywullf - Trois Nouvelles Etude No. 3 in Ab Very nice performance!

48. Undone – Jim - Theme from Etude Op. 10, No 3. Great job after all your fits and starts. Sounded great to me!

49. RobM - Giorni Dispari Impressive playing especially in such a relatively short time. Very nice expression!

50. GregF - Brahams's Lullaby It's late and I've had a large meal and shouldn't be listening... very pleasant!

51. grotrianer - Prelude 28/17 A flat major I must admit that I'm not a big Chopin fan but you made me want to be - nice dynamics!

52. Deep Elem (aka Buck) - A House Is Not A Home Easy listening at it's finest and I really liked your style!

53. babama - Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini, 18th variation (Rachmaninov, arrangement Pochacco) Wow - you really got this one right! A very moving piece!

54. Always Wanted to Play Piano - Ombre I commend you for tackling this long piece - the technical issues are always a challenge too. Nice playing!

55. mlr1899 - Swipesy You certainly made this sound nice and easy with a good pace!

56. rustyfingers - Sentimental Journey It sure takes us back to simpler times! Thanks for the memories!

57. DragonPianoPlayer - Allegro You have a nice touch on this piece and it sounded great!

58. Ozor Mox - The Portrait James Horner is one of my favorite movie composers - it's a beautiful melody and I really liked your playing!

59. Schubertian - Prelude #13 (F# Major) I totally understand your comments - red dot fright! You played this just fine!

60. Babs - Prelude in B Minor (op28,no.6) This was very pretty! Chopin is starting to grow on me.

61. Oxfords Gal - Clowns OP 39 No. 20 Well, it least you only had to "hate" a small song... nice playing, by the way!

62. bluekeys - Sonata in C (K545) You really played this well and wouldn't we all love to be virtuoso level!

63. Euan Morrison - Vesper (from Casino Royale) How fitting that the sequel movie just came out - great theme and exquisite playing!

64. AdagioM/Michele - Vals No. 1 from Valses Poeticos I'm glad you didn't give up! Thank you for this lovely piece!

65. Piano*Dad - Waltz in C-sharp minor Op. 64 no. 2 Yeah, the recorder certainly gives us a different perspective but very helpful. I enjoyed your playing very much!

66. ddh - Daniel - Wiegenliedchen 124.6 (Little lullaby) I vote for continued foraging! This was exquisite!

67. cscl - Sonatina in C (Op. 36, No. 3, I-II) You wore me out just comprehending how you squeezed in this piece! I'm glad you found time - it was very nice!

68. polostrings - Imagine I think the child was a touch that Lennon would've admired. You played it nicely!

69. Kawai, Hi - Dragon Fly And your piece was over in just a blur - but it was a nice sweet blur at that!

70. Hisalone (Joel) - Bumble Boogie Loved the song choice! Very nice technique and I can't believe you've only been playing for just over a year!

71. Mark... - Spooky Story & American Hymn Very interesting combination! These days in America it's quite fitting! Your playing was really nice!

72. Mar_red - Moon River I really liked your version of this classic movie and easy listening tune!

73. IPIBAHN - Sandy - Tarantella - Prokofiev We are our own worst critics. You played this quite well and I'm not lying!

74. bruceee - Prelude Op 28, No 20 Very nice rendition of this familiar piece!

75. etorrales - Nocturn in Eb Major This is such a lovely Nocturne (I'm learning it now) - you are *way* ahead of me. Nice playing!

76. Extraghost - River Flows In You I hear you about the studying and tests (try to enjoy it, though!) And I also heard your very fine playing!

77. Theowne - Prelude to the "Tombeau de Couperin" Suite Your video really helped get a feel for this piece - by my ears you played very well!

Again, congratulations and thank you to everyone who participated in this recital! It was a tremendous blend of style and musicianship. And special thanks to Monica and mahlzeit and Copper for their technical and administrative talents they selflessly share for all of our benefit!

Whatever you do, do it from the heart...
[Linked Image]
O
O
epf wrote of his own playing:
25. epf - La Styrienne (Op 100, No. 14) What can I say? There are a couple of places where it felt rushed and the overall tempo is too slow!
I think you are being too hard on yourself. I realize that in a recital you do want to play at proper tempo. But, this is, after all, a “Beginner” forum, and playing slower than proper tempo is considered acceptable. It is more than acceptable. It is recommended in the interests of proper timing and articulation, at least in my opinion. Besides, I compared your submission with the official CD that came with the Alfred Masterwork Songbook, and you play it at about the same speed. Of course the official version is played noticeably more smoothly and evenly. But your playing is still very good. I do detect you feeling rushed. My advice is to play it at about half tempo for a while, until you play it more smoothly and evenly. Then, slowly creep up on the tempo.

My teacher has just started me on Burgmuller Opus 100. My first assignment is No.22. So I found your submission very inspiring as something that I myself may soon be able to play. I will be very pleased with myself if I can play it as well as you can.

Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
9 - Monica K.
Quite the deceptive introduction. Was pleasantly surprised when the arpeggiated phrases began....You certainly seem to undersell your skill when you post in discussion..

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
M
M
Schubertian - Prelude #13 (F# Major) -- I had never heard this piece before listening to these recitals and it’s now becoming one of my favorites. Well played!

Babs - Prelude in B Minor (op28,no.6) -- Congratulation on recording your first classical piece. Nicely played.

Oxfords Gal - Clowns OP 39 No. 20 -- A fun little piece! You played it very well.

blue keys - Sonata in C (K545) -- This one has challenging runs and trills. You did a nice job with it. Enjoyed.

11. Benny - Comptine d'un autre été: l'après-midi All in all a very good performance. You kept a nice steady rhythm. You just need a little more work coordinating the arpeggiated right hand sections.

12. ohitpro - Morning Snowfall Very pretty piece. Your touch on the keyboard was excellent. Just wish it was a bit longer.

13. b528nf7 - Bill - Ol' Man River A great song for your fine vocal abilities. Your accompaniment was just right, Bill.

14. Riddler (Ed) - Rhapsody In Blue
I have always loved this piece. One of the first I learned, but your arrangement is much better. Your left hand fill ins were excellent. Good job.

15. Kawaigirl1 - Winter Walk I love the syncopation in thie piece. A flawless performance on a beautiful theme.

16. flyingfroggy - Prelude in C# minor Op. 3 No. 2 This is such a powerful piece of music. I commend your effort here. You created a wonderful buildup to the accelerated section and finished nicely.

17. Orez Eno - Comptine d'un autre ete: l'apres-midi I think you did a fine job on this piece. The arpeggiated sections were played in rhythm with the proper accenting. Maybe just a bit more speed and you'll be there, but well done.

18. glitzer - Petite valse from Kinderalbum Your performance was a breath of fresh air. Sounds like you had fun playing this. Your tempo was excellent.

19. Eternal - Right Here Waiting
Good choice from the world of pop. You did very well. I'd just like to hear a little softer left hand so that the melody sings out more.

20. TrueBeginner - Les Reves Du Matin ( The Morning Dreams ) Hey TB don't be so hard on yourself. This is a very pretty piece and you played it fairly smoothly.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't think I will be able to comment individually on each piece as I have in the past. My laptop computer is having "issues" and will most likely need to be sent off for repair. I am working off a slower old desktop right now. I am, however. listening to all submissions as I can, and as usual, everyone has done a wonderful job! *much applause*

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
K
K
EPF:

Thanks for the observations on my little waltz. You are exactly right about the oom pah pah quality of the thing. I tried afterwards to smooth that out. Your comments resonated with a remark Chopin is reported to have said about rubato, i.e., that it should never be a reflection of technical problems with the piece. Anyway, I think I got it a bit better and have moved on to the next piece.

Thanks for listening.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mlr1899:
[QB] Schubertian - Prelude #13 (F# Major) -- I had never heard this piece before listening to these recitals and it’s now becoming one of my favorites. Well played!

Thanks so much mlr - and everyone else who responded - it makes me really glad to know that the time and effort I am putting into learning these pieces are of some benefit to someone - the only beings who ever hear my playing are my two black cats and their only response is to give me the evil eye if I play something too loud.

"There are so many mornings that have not yet dawned." -- Rg Veda
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Here's my comments on the rest of the recital...

50. GregF - Brahams's Lullaby Nice, gentle touch. Very enjoyable.

51. grotrianer - Prelude 28/17 A flat major Very good job -- excellent pulse and the tempo seemed just right. Good job at bringing out the melody.

52. Deep Elem (aka Buck) - A House Is Not A Home This piece had a nice, light jazzy feel that really works well. Good job!

53. babama - Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini, 18th variation (Rachmaninov, arrangement Pochacco) Very nicely done! Good control of the tempo, dynamics and the music lies well under your fingers.

54. Always Wanted to Play Piano - Ombre Good job, hesitations notwithstanding!

55. mlr1899 - Swipesy Good job -- you resisted the temptation to play the rag too fast and yet kept it striding along nicely!

56. rustyfingers - Sentimental Journey Very nice -- a good arrangement that retains many of the Big Band movements. Good job!

57. DragonPianoPlayer - Allegro Accurately played. Perhaps, if you are going to work on this some more, you might consider bringing out the playful nature of Haydn's music.

58. Ozor Mox - The Portrait I don't know this piece so can't comment on it except that I liked your playing.

59. Schubertian - Prelude #13 (F# Major) Okay, you prepared me for lousy, but that's not what I heard... Not bad at all. The recording had an "airy" feel about it (not sure where you had your recorder). Overall, a pretty darn good job.

60. Babs - Prelude in B Minor (op28,no.6) I was just playing through this last night. Very nice touch on this piece. You played it very well and, I think, brought out what Chopin wanted in the piece.

61. Oxfords Gal - Clowns OP 39 No. 20 Ah, Kabalevski! He wrote such fun pieces. Well done!

62. bluekeys - Sonata in C (K545) A few minor slips, but otherwise a really nice, light approach to this Mozart piece. Well done!

63. Euan Morrison - Vesper (from Casino Royale) I'd never heard this before so can't comment on the accuracy of the playing. You evidenced a nice dynamic range and seem to have played it quite confidently. There was too much pedal for my taste and that resulted in a lot of blurred notes, but that is simply a matter of personal taste.

64. AdagioM/Michele - Vals No. 1 from Valses Poeticos Well done! A nice, poetic waltz.

65. Piano*Dad - Waltz in C-sharp minor Op. 64 no. 2 Very good! I really enjoyed listening to this piece. This was one of my father's favorites and so listening to someone else play if brought back good feelings.

66. ddh - Daniel - Wiegenliedchen 124.6 (Little lullaby) What a nice, delicate touch you evidence throughout this piece! Very nicely done.

67. cscl - Sonatina in C (Op. 36, No. 3, I-II) Very well done -- and I didn't feel like my ears were being "abused."

68. polostrings - Imagine Did I hear a four-legged critter at the start? Very nice; a few slips here and there (and maybe even an omitted note or two), but they aren't too noticeable.

69. Kawai, Hi - Dragon Fly I don't know this piece, but it sounded confidently played and I didn't hear any glaring errors. Good job!

70. Hisalone (Joel) - Bumble Boogie Oh how I wish I could play this! Really nicely done! Superlative!

71. Mark... - Spooky Story & American Hymn Good job! A few hesitations or slight rushed spots here and there, but overall pretty good!

72. Mar_red - Moon River Very nice! Well played. You kept the flowing, slightly bouncing feel of the music moving along nicely.

73. IPIBAHN - Sandy - Tarantella - Prokofiev A difficult choice that is well played.

74. bruceee - Prelude Op 28, No 20 Very nice -- you handled the decrease in dynamics at the end very well while retaining the phrasing. Good job!

75. etorrales - Nocturn in Eb Major Very well done! Nice phrasing, good work on the ornamentations (especially the trills).

76. Extraghost - River Flows In You This is another piece that I don't know so can't comment on the accuracy of the playing. I can say you have a delicate touch that seems to work well with this piece. You played with confidence.

77. Theowne - Prelude to the "Tombeau de Couperin" Suite As always I'm blown away at the calm, relaxed way in which you play these technically difficult pieces. Very well done!

Wow! Our biggest recital yet and so much quality playing. Well done everyone!

Ed

[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am about 2/3 of the way through. As others have said, I don't feel at all like I'm in a position to say much more than, "Wow, you people are amazing." Well, that and thanks for the kind encouragement I've received on my entry.

Originally posted by Babs_:

[b]54. Always Wanted to Play Piano - Ombre
Always found this soothing and yours was also
[/b]
Thanks, Babs!

Originally posted by rustyfingers:

[b]54. Always Wanted to Play Piano - Ombre

This was lovely. If I were you, I wouldn’t point out mistakes. We all make them, but sometimes they slip by unnoticed to those who don’t know the music as well as you do. wink This was an ambitious undertaking for someone who has been playing for less than a year, and you rose beautifully to the challenge.
[/b]
Meaning no false modesty, truly I wasn't aware that others too made these types of mistakes. This is the third recital I've downloaded. My children fall asleep every night to CD compilations including pieces from many of you, and they sound flawless to my ears. That I was unable to reach a similar level of polish was disappointing to me. I can't promise not to be so critical in my self-assessment in the future, but you've convinced me there's not much worth in posting the dirty laundry.

Originally posted by jotur:
Always Wanted To Play Piano - very nice feeling to this, very open, solitude. And don't you have a fairly new baby, too? How about a CD for him smile ?
Thanks! Indeed, baby Joey is 3 months old. He's not much a fan of piano music just yet, because it is hard to hold him and play at the same time. Given the choice, he'd rather be held. But he is happy and healthy, and really, what else is there?

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ohitpro:
Originally posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano:
[b] Ohitpro, what soundfont did you use to render Morning Snowfall?
Hi AWTPP,

I used a Steinway soundfont - the link was from one of mahlzeit's tutorials on MIDI conversion ( here ). It's a bright sample and I didn't spend any time tweaking the settings - maybe I'll do that for the next recital!

Let me know if you have other questions.

Regards,
ohitpro (Tom) [/b]
Is it the WST25FStein_00Sep22.SF2, the Steinway Grand Piano 1.2.SF2, or the Steinway bright 1.2.SF2? I really liked it, that's why I ask.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission