2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Gary001:

There's also the risk of mis-categorisation, placing an easy to play song in the advanced category because it "sounds" hard, and vice-versa. This could encourage people to select pieces that sound hard rather than the real piece they fancy playing. Which would be a shame. Not only that, I'd be worried about hurting someone's feelings by placing them in the wrong category, where as with a simple comment you can be much more constructive in any criticism.
Beethoven's Op 2. no 1's 4th movement comes to mind here. While not an easy piece, the polyrhythms make it sound like the notes are extremely fast. A really satisfying effect actually.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would agree fully S-H's earlier post (top of page 8). In fact, if I could, I would award the post 5 stars (which is ironic considering how much SH loves the stars wink )

I'm finding it tough to comment on everyone's pieces (i was in bed by 9.30pm last night!), but that's not to say I haven't listened and appreciated everyone's submissions.

And knowing that people from all across the world have listened to our efforts - it's just amazing when you think about it!!

epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Okay, I guess I'll jump in with a few comments. I like the recitals (although, as a kid, I hated them). Preparing a piece to submit does not, in my mind, mean having it 100% perfect (perfection is something my wife tells me I'll never achieve). However, it does mean getting a piece to the point where I'm willing to let someone else listen to it, warts and all.

Yes, I'm a harsh judge of my own playing because I know (think? believe?) I can play better than I do. I also spent many, many years studying music and learning how it should sound. That my fingers cannot provide what my mind tells me is necessary is my frustration.

Because of what I think these recitals are for (benchmarks of our playing skills at a particular point in time) I make an effort to comment on each and every submission. Sometimes I'll go beyond the obvious and also do a critical review. If I hear something in a performance that is an obvious problem I'll usually mention it because I also see this as part of the learning process. I also appreciate when people make constructive comments on my playing (thank you Piano*Dad for your comments regarding phrasing and dynamics).

Since this recital is supposed to be fun I see no reason to stress out over it. Let's make it fun. Let's make it a part of our expression of love for the piano (as frustrating as that thing can be at times).

If people want to comment, let them comment. If they don't they don't! We still get the joy of listening to their submissions!

Ed (donning asbestos underwear)

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
For a while there I wasn't sure I was in the "General Discussion Room" of the recital with all the debate regarding to compete or not to compete, etc. Well to get things back on track here's some additional comments:

51. grotrianer - Prelude 28/17 A flat major I thought you did very well with this piece. Maybe just a bit lighter in spots with the accompaniment to better differentiate the melodic line.

52. Deep Elem (aka Buck) - A House Is Not A Home Buck, this was awesome. Great arrangement. You really made this your own. Very professional. Love those chromatic runs. That Yammie sounds good as well. Upper register was excellent.

53. babama - Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini, 18th variation (Rachmaninov, arrangement Pochacco) Nice arrangement. It almost had a jazz feel to it in spots with the accompaniment. The main theme stood out well. Another great sounding Roland.

54. Always Wanted to Play Piano - Ombre “Always,” I think you made a really good start to this piece. All of the elements are in place. You just need a bit more speed and expression which I’m sure will come. After all, only 10 months have passed.

55. mlr1899 - Swipesy Very energetic with great forward motion. That’s pretty tricky syncopation in spots. You did fine.

56. rustyfingers - Sentimental Journey A very bluesy and laid back style with good execution on the grace notes. I especially liked your bass line when you were in the upper registers.

57. DragonPianoPlayer - Allegro The pace moved along pretty well. Good work on the trills. A solid performance.

58. Ozor Mox - The Portrait A wonderful recording. Especially considering you played this by ear. The melody really stood out beautifully. I’m sure your dad was very happy to hear this. I agree, Celine Dion is not one of my favorites either.

59. Schubertian - Prelude #13 (F# Major) I think this was excellent. It seemed you were very much in control of this piece. A beautiful melodic line. Your Estonia has tremendous character.

60. Babs - Prelude in B Minor (op28,no.6) Good relationship between the left and right hands. The melody stood out well in the bass register. All you need is a bit more speed and you’ll have this nailed.

==============================================

Well I'll finish up after the holiday. I wish everyone and their families a most Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving. Feast Ye All and return renewed for the Christmas recital.

Andy

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Diane, I enjoyed your post - except I wish I appear in the Wondeful Peron Award category! laugh

I also concur with what epf said: If people want to comment, let them comment. If they don't they don't!

Whoever feels like using a category commenting system should feel free to so do. I personally would embrace any other creative and constructive ways of commenting.

As for cscl's idea of an ABF competition, I'd say that may be of interest to some members, but a competition needs to be a separate event than the recital, since they are of different nature. As Mr. Super Hunky suggests, cscl, start a thread on setting up an ABF competition. See what interest you get and get the parameters defined. I think it can become another innovative ABF event.

Now I've got to listen and comment on Peyton's and Polostring's pieces, since they really want comments! wink

(BTW, I am quite amazed and amused by this little soap opera we are having here! eek )

[Linked Image]
You know if we all spent half the time giving constructive remarks to the recital pieces that we're giving to this latest issue we may have solved the problem. I think it's getting to be a bit much.

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Manndrew:
You know if we all spent half the time giving constructive remarks to the recital pieces that we're giving to this latest issue we may have solved the problem. I think it's getting to be a bit much.
thumb smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
07 Mati - This has a beautiful and haunting melody. I love it. Thanks for sharing this with us. You played it very nicely.

08 Peyton - The composition expresses a strong feeling of angst and perhaps sadness. Very nice melody and accompaniment. I would enjoy it as a purely instrumentaly piece as well - somehow without any lyrics, I think the piece would inspire many more possible “story lines” than the just one that you intended.

50 GregF - Nicely done. I hear a lot of progress since the last recital - better touch, nicer dynamics, more refined playing.

59 Schubertian - I always enjoy your playing.

61 Oxford Gals - I can see why you’d enjoy playing this. It’s quite unique and engaging. Nicely done.

68 Polostrings - I like this song any time. You played it quite well. I tend to think of this as a pensive and mellow song, so I would prefer to have it slowed down by a lot more, and add more contrast in dynamics to it. Your kid did a good job “introducing” you!

69 Kawai - Short, sweet, and vibrant - very nice!

70 Hisalone - I think this is quite different from your other recordings, isn’t it? *Really* cool piece. So dramatic and fun - I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sounds difficult to play.

[Linked Image]
Originally posted by Manndrew:
[b]48. Undone – Jim - Theme from Etude Op. 10, No 3. Also one of my favorite Chopin pieces. A nice job on the clarity of the melody. Very well under control. Maybe just a bit of slowing down and/or speeding up certain passages for a bit more drama would be all I would suggest. Sort of that rubato effect.

[/b]
Manndrew,

Thank you for your comments. I know just what you mean about adding more rubato. I’ve listened to several “professional” recordings of this piece and am at awe at just how much of a difference this can make. I had begunto try and be more fluent and expressive with the tempo prior to my submission, but found that I was making more mistakes when doing so. So I fell back to the more constant tempo when making my recording. I’ll definitly continue to work on such expressivness as I move forward.

Thanks again for listening.

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally posted by Peyton:
Here is my honest opinion... I feel that most of us are posting because we want others to listen to what we have done and would really like to hear some feedback. Therefore I don't think it's too much to ask that everyone that participates at least comments on a few works. even if it's just five or six (there are over 60 participants.... so that's not asking a lot. There have got to be at least five works that the person likes enough to comment on. ) It seems selfish to me for people to post their work in the recital, get 20 or more people who take the time to listen and comment on that person's work and then to give back nothing.
Peyton,

I know this is not the case, but I can’t help but feel as though you are speaking directly to me. This is the third recital that I have participated in, yet I have not commented on any of them to date. To be Frank (no offense John) I’ve felt that being so new to all of this I didn’t have anything of value to add. No comments that anyone would appreciate. But after having read through the ensuing turmoil, I now understand that simple acknowledgement of the effort put forth by all of our fine contributors is something of value in and of itself.

So I will make a concerted effort to join in the posting of comments in future recitals and perhaps even in this one over the upcoming holiday weekend (if the kids and grand-kids don’t run me too ragged over this time period).

Undone

PS: Peyton, I think you did a wonderful job on your submission to this recital, but I’d lose the singer. That’s one comment down. Just kidding (and trying to keep things light), you have a wonderful voice. laugh

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Undone:
Originally posted by Peyton:
[b] Here is my honest opinion... I feel that most of us are posting because we want others to listen to what we have done and would really like to hear some feedback. Therefore I don't think it's too much to ask that everyone that participates at least comments on a few works. even if it's just five or six (there are over 60 participants.... so that's not asking a lot. There have got to be at least five works that the person likes enough to comment on. ) It seems selfish to me for people to post their work in the recital, get 20 or more people who take the time to listen and comment on that person's work and then to give back nothing.
Peyton,

I know this is not the case, but I can’t help but feel as though you are speaking directly to me. This is the third recital that I have participated in, yet I have not commented on any of them to date. To be Frank (no offense John) I’ve felt that being so new to all of this I didn’t have anything of value to add. No comments that anyone would appreciate. But after having read through the ensuing turmoil, I now understand that simple acknowledgement of the effort put forth by all of our fine contributors is something of value in and of itself.

So I will make a concerted effort to join in the posting of comments in future recitals and perhaps even in this one over the upcoming holiday weekend (if the kids and grand-kids don’t run me too ragged over this time period).

Undone

PS: Peyton, I think you did a wonderful job on your submission to this recital, but I’d lose the singer. That’s one comment down. Just kidding (and trying to keep things light), you have a wonderful voice. laugh [/b]
Oh God, first I'm awarded the "Intermediate Award", then the "Ordinary Person Award" and now told to "Lose the singer".... AHHHHHHHHHHH.... I'm going away!!!! laugh

Thanks, you got me laughing.

F
F
A few more comments...

40. Daren - Le Onde You brought out the melody nicely in what I think is one of Einaudi’s more difficult pieces. I like the way you continue playing in spite of a missed note or hesitation—that is something that I am forever working on. Great job!

41. Pixie's friend - BWV Anh 131 (Notebook of Anna Magdalena Bach, n 32, untitled) Very nice job, especially for only 4 months’ experience!

49. RobM - Giorni Dispari Beautiful performance-you played it nicely, with feeling. I’ve only heard this with the cello accompaniment (on Einaudi’s album “Echoes”)and it sounds just as good without!

65. Piano*Dad - Waltz in C-sharp minor Op. 64 no. 2
One of my favorite chopin waltzes--loved the pedaling and how evenly you played the right hand —well done!

66. ddh - Daniel - Wiegenliedchen 124.6 (Little lullaby) Very nice dynamics and rubato!

68. polostrings - Imagine Very enjoyable—nice job!

I also have a suggestion regarding the ever-expanding number of entries in the recital--perhaps the odd numbered recitals can be limited to those of us with an odd number of characters in our name and the even numbered recitals can be for those of us with an even number of characters in our name. That way everyone can still participate twice a year. Just a thought. smile

[Linked Image]
And with all 105 pounds she helps pull the thread back on track!

30. Mike White Yamaha G3 & P-80 - Granada That was beautiful and smooth.

31. LaValse - Prelude Op 2 Beautiful and polished.

32. joangolfing - Lied ohne Worte Op. 19 #4 "Confidence" Song Without Words I am unfamiliar with this piece but it sounded well played.

33. LisztAddict - Gounod Ave Maria with Bach Prelude in C major from WTC book 1 Simple? Not! Simply lovely. Half way thru your piece I realized I was smiling.

34. Gary001 - Minuet in G Major Good job and only 8 months.

35. Paul Cast - Sonatina Op.36 No.2-1 Allegretto Pretty and cleanly played.

36. Frotz / Brian - Sonata in A Major - Mvmt. 3 - Alla Turca Well done. Better slower and right as my teacher says.

37. Ken S. - Chopin a minor waltz (posthumous) I love all the Chopin played during the recital. Well done.

38. jotur - Cathy Turner - Stone's Rag I don't know this one but it sure sounds hard. I have no rhythm for this kind of music, I admire your touch.

39. Euphonatrix - Album for the young Nr. 26 *** (untitled) I don't know this one but it sound quite pretty. Galileo and Pythagoras just wanted to discuss physics and philosophy.

Semper ubi sub ubi
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
working backward now ....

65. Piano*Dad - Waltz in C-sharp minor Op. 64 no. 2

This thoroughly disagreeable person needs to set his sights on something beyond the intermediate award level. laugh

Edit: Oh well, now that Diane's post awarding me one of three "thoroughly disagreeable person" awards has been erased, this little bit of humor seems to lack its barbed point. :p

66. ddh - Daniel - Wiegenliedchen 124.6 (Little lullaby)

This is very interesting. I had never played a Wiegenlied before this fall. I'm working up Brahms' Geistliches Wiegenlied for piano, horn and voice. It has exactly the same 6/8 triplets with voicing choices. I wonder if that is almost definitional? They are such beautiful pieces and quite appropriate for the season! Have you played this for others yet?

67. cscl - Sonatina in C (Op. 36, No. 3, I-II)

I know about troublesome areas that 'crop up.' I call it Mozart. wink

No need to apologize for squeezing in a second movement. Clementi's sonatas are usually bite sized. Nothing like some good plumbers to enhance a performance (barely audible so I wouldn't worry).

68. polostrings - Imagine

You know, I wasn't sure WHAT that sound was at the beginning. Given your location, at first I thought it might have been a parrot! Alas, I can still remember the moment I heard he was shot. [Lennon, not the parrot!]

69. Kawai, Hi - Dragon Fly

I really like little pieces like this. They actually make great exercises to warm up. The rising Alberti-like figure in the right hand is almost like a Hanon exercise with melody.

70. Hisalone (Joel) - Bumble Boogie

that was fun. I'm sure it's also fun to play. My son and I heard Lang Lang do his deliberate top speed exaggeration of the original 'flight' as an encore. The audience ate it up.

71. Mark... - Spooky Story & American Hymn

thanks, Mark. Those were a pleasure. I'm too afraid of the red dot to whip out something I haven't been working on!

72. Mar_red - Moon River

That's exactly the kind of playing I cannot do. I never trained myself to work either by ear or off of lead sheets.

You asked how far you were from your goal of playing in a jazzy cocktail style. I'd say not far at all. Two small suggestions that you can feel free to disregard. First, you might experiment with altering rhythms a bit ... swinging it, for instance, in places. Secondly, you might try adding little riffs and mini-cadenzas in which you employ some standard jazz chord shifts to spice things up.

73. IPIBAHN - Sandy - Tarantella - Prokofiev

A Prokofiev tarantella. Will wonders never cease! That's cool. This is one of the neat aspects of this recital. We get to see a huge variety of works the we might otherwise never come across.

74. bruceee - Prelude Op 28, No 20

That's a classic chord study. So stately a piece.

75. etorrales - Nocturn in Eb Major

We could have practically put together a Chopin recital out of this group! We've got preludes, nocturnes and waltzes! And I may have missed some.

76. Extraghost - River Flows In You

Nice expressive playing. Yeah, I heard those slightly rushed turns in the treble, and practice would certainly take care of that .... but college does NOT suck. Hey, I'm a professor, what am I supposed to say. wink

77. Theowne - Prelude to the "Tombeau de Couperin" Suite

The real deal, Theowne. I've already commented on the other thread.

ddh Offline
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
... Have you played this for others yet?
Only for my teacher; but we have an adult students recital, come mid-January and I intend to play it along with another little piece by Herr Schumann.

Thanks for listening.

Cheers.

Daniel (Pramberger JP 208B)
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I realize this is a little late, but might I suggest that further discussions of the logistics of the recital be moved to a separate thread so as not to dampen our unbridled enthusiasm for the stellar performances we have had this recital?

If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient.
[Linked Image]
And now I need to listen to the next batch!

I may not get to them all. In fact, if I did, it would be a first. Actually, I think that matters less than that you pay real attention to the ones you do get to.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
This is a piano forum first and foremost. I say judge one another by what you hear them play and how it was performed.

Words are so cheap to come by but they can turn out expensive if not used correctly.

Once again, this is a piano forum and the proof really is in the pudding!.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
glitzer,

Beginning with you and extending to all recital participants and ABF members, save one:

This forum is different from others and it means more to me than I can put in a few short words. Please don't give up on it or me. The off topic posts that have sullied and disrupted this thread of late are quite unfortunate.

Please forgive me for my part in this disruption. I hope to make amends in some small way and help this thread to resume its intended function.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Lisztener

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
OK folks.

I've just finished yet another round of wholesale deletions on this thread and frankly it's getting a little tiresome.

If your comments are not about someone elses playing or about someones comments about your playing take it outside.

This thread is for comments and feedback about the recital performances. Period. If you want to talk about alternative ways of giving feedback or make a suggestion about future recitals - start another thread. If you want to comment about something someone else said, their motivations for saying it, etc., take it outside. Use the PM facility.

Greg
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission