2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Opus, waiting till June 5th sounds good.

Kawaigirl, I have a blue book (why am I always at the computer without any music books, but I think it's the same title you posted) and it has a simplified version of Linus & Lucy (that I didn't personally like) I am going tosee if I have the 4-flat version and if not, order it.

BTW Opus, I am going to order that Virtuosic Christmas Book, wanna do Carol of the Bells too? smile

Hey, Petrof1, is that by Danny Elfman, from the movie Corpse Bride? Where did you get the score? I have so far seen two version, one I didn't like, and the other was actually a medley from that movie. And I usually dislike medleys. Anyway, I really want to play that too. (Maybe it's not the same one, because now I'm thinking that the one I saw was called Piano Duet) Anyway, I want to play the piece he plays when he's just about to meet her for the first time, in the hall there. smile

Opus, how 'bout everyone join me in suffering through Croatian Rhapsody! :p

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I ordered Victor's Piano Solo from the Sheetmusicplus.com website , it was $3.95, not including the shipping. The publisher of the sheetmusic is Alfred Publishing Co.Inc. You might be able to order it from alfred.com as well. Yes, this is the one by Danny Elfman. It is from the Corpse Bride
movie. The music is 2 pages.It has a C,D,F and G sharp. wink

Make music not war
I would be very interested in learning a fancy Christmas piece. In the past I wouldn't get started on my Christmas music until after Thanksgiving, and would have to settle for playing distinctly UNimpressive pieces on Christmas eve.

Or maybe a nice jazz solo.

I once had a creepy boyfriend who played Linus and Lucy over and over, so that's out for me!

That man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. - H. D. Thoreau
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
I was really impressed with Mike White's performance of Chopin's Waltz in A-flat in the past recital (and he is totally self taught!). I would consider tackling this one...and like many of us here, I enjoy most anything Chopin, so if enough folks want to learn something else Chopin, I'm in (unless I've already learned it, in which case I'll just "listen in" for clues on how I might improve it & maybe share a suggestion?)

I'm still looking through my "wish list". I'm defininetly in for Linus & Lucy & know that will definitetly be a challenge for me.

(by the way, I'll do my best to not miss any suggestions posted here by participants, but if I happen to miss a suggestion, please Email me and I'll add it to the list)

Jeff
[Linked Image]
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
from Yellowville:
I once had a creepy boyfriend who played Linus and Lucy over and over, so that's out for me!
LOL!!! Okay, I understand. But you know, the only way I'm going to be able to play "Linus and Lucy" is to play it over and over.
I'll add you to the list (but not for L&L)

Jeff
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Opus, ShiroKuro was KIDDING about that Croation Rhapsody! Weren't you, ShiroKuro??!! Please say yes! [starts to feel more than a little desperate, as there's no way she is up to tackling that piece based on what it sounds like and what the sheet music excerpt looks like].

L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
I would love to sign up. However, I have never heard of any of the selections. eek

My musical taste runs to the classical...Chopin topping of the list. smile

I am currently putting the finishing touches on that Chopin A minor waltz and if that would be added, I could give some tips on how I conquered the difficult measures.

And I can play the easier preludes.

Well, what to do? confused

Perhaps have another Group that deals with intermediate -early advanced classical pieces? I know I should "branch out? in my tastes, but, as someone mentioned on this forum, you HAVE to play what you HAVE to play.

And I HAVE to play the classics.

Any other people who feel the same?

Otherwise, I think this is a wonderful idea.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
Hello Kathleen,
Glad you're joining in! I have a feeling several Chopin pieces will end up on the list. You mention that you're putting finishing touches on his A-minor Waltz...this is a piece I am thinking about starting myself (anyone else interested in learning this together?).
If you have a certain Chopin piece that is on your "wish list" (or anything else), let me know & I'll add it to the list.
We're still recruiting & fishing for ideas & hope to get somewhat organized during the month of June.

Monica: LOL, I didn't realize ShiroKuro was kidding...i still haven't heard the Croatian Rhapsody, but from the looks of what she posted (difficult music passages w/ 16th notes/rests), YIPES....not sure I could manage that one without much difficulty.

Jeff
[Linked Image]
Kathleen: I also love Chopin and have been looking for a classical piece that I can learn next that is NOT Chopin -- just for variety's sake. One that I've been thinking of is Melodie by Jules Massenet. Also, Waltz in A flat by Brahms, which might be too hard, but I still love it. (You can listen to the beginnings of these pieces by searching for them on Amazon).

You might also like some of Scriabin's preludes.

Pianist magazine often has excellent intermediate classical pieces; someone there seems to share my taste...

Do you have any leads on "intermediate pieces that someone who likes Chopin would like"?

That man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. - H. D. Thoreau
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Opus 45

I learned Chopin's Raindrop Prelude many years ago and have to relearn it, Op. 28, #15 in D flat. It's listed as a level 9 in a Conservatory of Music school syllabus. One level down from a 10, then a teacher, then a performer. I found it difficult, mostly because of the crowding of notes. But in another editon, there's most white space and I think a person of late intermediate-early advanced could succeed in playing it. I would like to add that one to my wish list.

Yellowville: You are perfectly correct in that I have to branch out and play other composer's pieces. I know there are many that are just as wonderful (well, almost) as Chopins'.

About your question...do you mean intermediate pieces by Chopin or other composers who are similiar to Chopin in nature?

The "easiest" Chopin preludes are: Op. 28, #4, #6, #7, #20,

Mazurkas: Op. 67, #3, #4, Op. 68, #3

I have a wonderful collection called: The Romantic Period: A Repertory of Piano Works by Masters of the 19th Century. So many of the famous works of all the composers of this time period.

I'll study it and I am sure I will find pieces that could be very likely candidates for a Classical Class...if you want to do that. Or perhaps just add a few of them to the main class.

On to wash the dog!

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
I hate to overload the list with Chopin, but since we'll vote on which peices to tackle, I'll throw another one into the mix.
I "dabbled" with his Waltz in C-Sharp Minor few years ago, and would love to finally get this one under my belt. I think this one would be one of those "real fun to play" pieces, and though challenging, I think it looks "doable" (maybe with a lot of hands seperate work first?).

Anyone have good suggestions for jazz/new age/modern pieces that would be good additions to the list?

Jeff
[Linked Image]
P
P
Chopin's Waltz in C# Minor is a gorgeous piece - I'm actually in the process of polishing it right now. If you're going to study that one, could you let me know? I'd be curious to see what kinds of interpretive details people come up with.

Actually, could you let me know if you end up doing the Raindrop Prelude too? Another lovely piece, and not one I had studied (yet). Both those pieces are in my old Grade 9 book so they should be of comparable difficulty. Come to think, this Grade 9 book - containing pieces for the Royal Conservatory of Music in Canada - is probably what Kathleen is referring to. My edition is from about 10 years ago, but I rediscovered it recently and found quite a few nice pieces in it. If you happened to come across one for cheap at some point, it's worth picking up.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Opus:

I really love your idea and would like to participate, however, I not a very good sight reader, thus, all the "improvising".

I'm IN as long as I can make up my own version of what everyone picks, (although this probably defeates the purpose of the whole exercise)!. Anyway, if I can't add a little, or more like a lot to whatever you pick, thats okay, I still like your idea and will look forward to what everyone accomplishes.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Linus and Lucy works for me ....although I've never seen the sheet music

....off I go to search......

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
S-H, Everyone is welcome, of course. The only folks who would not be welcome are people who are rude and offensive (trolls).

I'm going to do my best to help structure these so that the groups run themselves, and I ask anyone and everyone for suggestions on how best to do this. I am only acting as a catalyst for these groups...they will become whatever everyone wants them to become.

I'm not sure how everyone else might feel about the number of pieces we work...but I would imagine something like one intermediate level peice per month OR one advanced level piece per quarter(?). I guess we would have to look at the list of pieces, then kind of decide how the group wants to approach them. For me personally, it might be reasonable to take 3 months to master a Chopin Waltz, or "Linus & Lucy", because these are very challenging peices (at least for me!). For more intermediate level pieces, I would guess a month would be adequate. I want to motivate myself, and have a lot of fun in the process, without unecessarily pressuring myself. I am anxious to see how others might feel about this as well. The recital was a great way to motivate me to learn to play "Take Five" and I'm hoping this group sharing process will help motivate me to learn other pieces more efficiently than I might otherwise.

Improvising..., what a great idea! What would you think about also having a group devoted to the art of improvising? As far as blending improvising with reading that also sounds extremely interesting. I wonder if jazz, new age, & modern would be the best groups for this?

Pianolina, welcome!

Jeff
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'm in for "Linus and Lucy"

Opus: I don't know if you saw it but on a couple of us are interested in learning"Victor's Piano Solo." Check a couple of the posts on the first page.

incidently I'd love to learn "take five" too, I have the music for that I've been able to handle a little of it but I have found it to be quite a challenge. Good for you for accomplishing that song!
I like Chopin but I would prefer to learn those pieces with my teacher.

I'm still interested in Linus and Lucy.

Maybe we'll have to work together in a few different groups to accomodate all interests.
I am excited, this should be fun!

Make music not war
O
Opus45 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
O
Hello Petrof,
I'm re-editing the list on the first post of the first page of this thread. (I added "Victors Piano Solo this morning")...i also found it & listened to it (I also have the CD somewhere in my house). I haven't seen the written music yet.

I think you might be right about having different groups.

(I'm actually still working on Take Five) Did you want me to add take five to the list & see if there are any other takers?

Jeff
[Linked Image]
thumb

Yes Opus, please add " take five" to the list. The music I have has G,A,B,C,D and E flats. I think this song is on the advanced level though dont't you? I've been able to pick up on some of the measures, alot of it has to with putting both hands together.
I find that to be quite a challenge.

Thanks! wink

Make music not war
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Opus:

Please add me to your list.

From the suggestions so far, my 1st choice would be Chopin's Waltz in c# minor.

This piece really has everything, from the mysterious, Gypsy-like opening, then the wonderful, fast right hand finger work, and the gorgeous melody in the middle section in D flat.

Chopin's Nocturne No. 2 in E flat would also be good to learn, as well as the A flat Waltz.

That Melodie by Massenet, is that the Meditation from Thais?

If so, that would be high on my list.

As for Christmas songs, there is just nothing more beautiful than "O Holy Night".

A nice early-advanced arrangement in D flat would be fantastic.

There's something about the key of D flat that imparts a tremendous warmth and richness to a piece of music.

Thanks.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission