Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1006398 - 05/31/06 06:51 PM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
Opus45 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Mike, Glad you decided to join in. I think there will be a few folks wanting to work on the Raindrop (I may be one of them). By the way, you might be amused to know I saved a copy of your Waltz in A-Flat from the last recital in case I decide to work on that one too.

Agilita, nope, no boobs

FurElise, I agree on keeping it simple! (I'll have enough challenge learning these peices)

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1006399 - 05/31/06 07:05 PM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
 Quote:
Originally posted by Opus45:
Hi Nina
We're still pretty much in the discussion phase, but I would imagine that everything you mentioned would likely be part of this group learning experience. However, I might also think if someone is already capable of picking a piece and recording it right off the bat, then they might more likely be offering feedback to others rather than asking for feedback?
[/b]
Oh, on re-reading my post I can see where you're coming from. No way can I pick up the Raindrop Prelude, for example, and just record it.

I mean, technically I could, but it wouldn't bear much resemblance to what Freddie had in mind when he composed it.

So, to be clear, we pick a piece from the list, work frantically on it for months, hope we get it into some reasonable, unembarrassed shape, record it, then post it? \:\)

#1006400 - 05/31/06 07:33 PM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Opus:

Don't overthink this whole thing!, just pick a song, a date and go with it!!. (executive descision time)

I did this with the online recital and it worked out great. Of course, there will be suggestions along the way, but you can't please everyone!. This is YOUR thing, so make the descisions and get it going. We will all follow your command, and if needed, possibly make a few positive suggestions along the way if needed.

Now, "instruct" us on what song, when etc.

#1006401 - 05/31/06 08:29 PM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
Cookie74 Offline

Loc: California
I'm new to this forum. This looks like a good idea. I play mostly classical, so I'll probably be in that group. Chopin is always good, but how come no one has suggested Beethoven? There are a lot of sonata movements that are doable. We just have to find one. Also there are some bagatelles and variations that might be intermediate/early advanced. Some others that I can think of:

Schumann--Kinderscenen (any of these)
Schubert--Impromptu in G (definitely advanced, but how could you not want to play it?)
Debussy--Reverie or Claire de Lune, possibly an arabesque
Mozart--of course
Bach--2 part and 3 part inventions, some preludes
Grieg--some of the Lyric pieces would be doable.

I don't expect you to list all these, but I thought I'd broaden our classical horizons from Chopin only.

--Ludwig van Beethoven

#1006402 - 05/31/06 09:22 PM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
petrof1 Offline

Loc: Gulf Coast
I listened to a download of the CROATIAN RHAPSODY, it is a beautiful song. It sounds hard, but I would like to see the sheet music for it
to see if I could attempt to play it. So if anybody is gamed to try that song with me , I might be interested. ;\)

#1006403 - 05/31/06 09:34 PM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
Opus45 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Cookie74, Glad you're joining in (and welcome to this forum) I'll add you to the list. I'll also add the specific pieces you mentioned on your list of suggestions.

Super-Hunky, Here is the tentative schedule that was proposed over the Memorial Weekend. I am not personally opposed to starting sooner, but I do think this schedule is reasonable enough to accomodate everyone. I also think in the long run, it will be better to get everyone involved in deciding how to organize the group, rather than someone making an executive decision and imposing that on the group.

Tentative Schedule 2006[/b]
June Week One: Recruiting & Ideas
June Week Two: Suggestions for piano pieces for the Group (Classical, Jazz, Modern, Other).
June Week Three: Open discussions/suggestions on how to organize the groups & develop a music schedule.
June Week Four: Obtain music (purchase hard copies/download or share?)
July: Start new pieces, in group(s) of choice
August-December: Continued work on pieces and/or start new pieces, as desired.
December: Evaluate Experience & Decide on whether or not to continue in 2007.

Everyone:[/b]
It's time to submit piano pieces for consideration. When you do, please indicate who wrote the piece, and in what category the piece belongs (Classical, Jazz, New Age, Modern, Others?) as well as whether you believe the piece should be classified as intermediate or advanced (for the group). [/b]

#1006404 - 05/31/06 09:39 PM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
Opus45 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I listened to a download of the CROATIAN RHAPSODY, it is a beautiful song. It sounds hard, but I would like to see the sheet music for it
to see if I could attempt to play it. So if anybody is gamed to try that song with me , I might be interested.
Petrof, I know ShiroKuro will be delighted to hear that. I haven't seen all the sheet music, but here is a portion of it .

So what do you think? [it looks scary to me]

#1006405 - 05/31/06 10:35 PM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
petrof1 Offline

OPUS: I checked out the portion of the sheet music for The Croatian Rhapsody and now I'm not sure if I could handle it right now. This song reminds me of one of those Bachs Inventions that I found too difficult to play. Maybe in another year I might be ready to try to play the Croatian Rhapsody by Tonci Hulji. I need to move up on my skills level first.

#1006406 - 05/31/06 11:02 PM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
Opus45 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Petrof. I understand...it does appear to be very challenging (but hey, if you really like the piece, maybe the group could help you get through it?)

Nina
 Quote:
"So, to be clear, we pick a piece from the list, work frantically on it for months, hope we get it into some reasonable, unembarrassed shape, record it, then post it?"
LOL, okay. That could happen I suppose, but worded that way makes it sound like a contest or a preparation for a recital, when really, it's more just a way for us to work on our repertoire with others who might also want to work on the same piece. That's all. It's not going to be an overly formal process, with rules & expectations. Have you ever spent a month or so (or longer?) working on a difficult piece of music that you really wanted to learn? That's really what this group thing is all about...finding others who also want to work on the same piano pieces you want to work on...helping others, getting help from others, commiserating, celebrating, motivating, etc...
But to be clear, recording and posting is NOT required, it is optional.

#1006407 - 05/31/06 11:31 PM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
You know what would also be great fun to learn?

The famous Rachmaninoff Prelude in c# minor, Op.3 No.2.

Soft and mysterious in the beginning, with an agitated middle section, it concludes with huge, crashing sfff chords that finally resolve to the quietest ppp.

This Prelude would fit both late-intermediate and early-advanced catagories.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1006408 - 05/31/06 11:39 PM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Perhaps some Bach?

I'm working on the French Suite #5 and it's challenging but not rip-your-hair-out hard.

Beethoven's Bagatelles are also nice.
Schubert's German Dances, Op. 33 are great--melodic, fun and short. They're great choices if you want to learn something to play for other people but you don't want to spend more than a few minutes to play them when they're performance-ready.
Mozart's "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" variations--pick as many variations as you want to learn, based on time and ability. (Some are easy, some are tougher.)
Brahms' Waltzes
Bartok's Hungarian Dances
Coates' arrangement of "Ashokan Farewell"

Just some ideas.

#1006409 - 06/01/06 07:26 AM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Leaving aside any discussions of body parts, I just started a Yahoo group to keep in touch with some coworkers on a project. It's very easy and straightforward, but it has to have an "owner" (which is a funny expression because it's free.) If someone wants us to use a Yahoo group, I'll create it.

Here's a transcription of Croatian Rhapsody,

http://maksimmrvica.com/downloads/scores/

(scroll down a bit, it's there for download)

This version is almost the same as mine, but it doesn't have that yucky section that Opus was kind enough to link.

Petrof1, that section is, IMO, the most difficult part of the piece, and it's only 4 measures, so don't let it scare you away if you're really interested.

BTW, what category would you all put Croatian Rhapsody in?

Hmm, Rach... but if Dannylux says it's late-intermediate, then it's probably too hard for me! I don't suppose anyone has a link to listen to this prelude or check out the score?

#1006410 - 06/01/06 08:17 AM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
DoMakeSayThink Offline

Loc: Cambridge, UK
I'd be interested in participating. I might not be the most active contributor for the next few days / a week or so, though. I've had a bit of a rough week, and I've got A/S level exams to boot.

At the moment, I'm pretty much finished learning Chopin's Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2, but I would be interested in learning some of the aforementioned pieces. Clair De Lune is appealing, despite it being somewhat cliché.

#1006411 - 06/01/06 08:25 AM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The score for Rachmaninoff's Prelude in c# minor is availabe for free here:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/dlpage_new.cfm?composition_id=1043

I'll see if I can find an mp3 later tonight.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#1006412 - 06/01/06 08:36 AM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

OK, I found an mp3 of Rachmaninoff's Prelude in c# minor here:

Op.3 No.2 in cis-moll

Click on "Скачать" to download the file.

It sounds much, much more difficult to play than it is .

Mel

#1006413 - 06/01/06 08:48 AM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
Opus45 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Welcome DoMakeSayThink, we're all glad you're joining in. No problem with being an active/inactive contributor over the next week or so...we've got you covered.

Dannylux, Nina, ShiroKuro & Dannylux: I'll add your suggestions to the growing list.

Question for the group: Does any one else work, or does everyone have all day everyday to spend on their piano repertoire?

[Edit, Dannylux, THANKS for the links...very appreciated]

#1006414 - 06/01/06 09:37 AM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
dk21208 Offline

Loc: FL
Can I commit as a tentative participant?

#1006415 - 06/01/06 09:44 AM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
Opus45 Offline
500 Post Club Member

You bet dk, you're on the list and we're glad you're on it.

#1006416 - 06/01/06 09:48 AM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
Dannylux said:
 Quote:
It sounds much, much more difficult than it is to play.
Mel, with all due respect... I don't believe you! It sounds hard, it looks hard! Wow! Seriously, you should play it, it's beautiful and I'd love to hear your rendition.

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus45:
Question for the group: Does any one else work, or does everyone have all day everyday to spend on their piano repertoire?
[/b]
:D

#1006417 - 06/01/06 10:32 AM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
SAS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Austin, TX
Rachmaninoff? Seriously? LOL, I thought Croatian Rhapsody was too hard. That's ridiculous. I may have to re-think this!

#1006418 - 06/01/06 10:41 AM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
seebechstein Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: houston
'Skachatz' means "to download" in Russian? That may be useful...

Ok this group has piqued my interest. I hope everyone does agree on Croatian Rhapsody because I'd like to work through it, and because you've already linked the sheet music. I propose that we do not tackle any pieces that the sheet music isn't linked from this thread, so we're not practicing different transcriptions.

I'm off from work this week, but given I have a day job, it probably will take me until Christmas to learn this...

#1006419 - 06/01/06 10:44 AM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
vanfanel Offline

Can I be added to this as well? sounds like fun!

#1006420 - 06/01/06 10:57 AM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
Agilita Offline

Loc: Missouri
Opus:

>Question for the group: Does any one else work, >or does everyone have all day everyday to spend >on their piano repertoire?

Don't most of us have jobs? I'm gone from home 11-12 hours a day and am lucky to squeeze in 20 min. of practice a day. Too many other responsibilities. I figure that I'm going to have trouble keeping up if we're all working on the same piece but want to try anyway.

#1006421 - 06/01/06 11:01 AM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
Opus45 Offline
500 Post Club Member

SAS
 Quote:
"Rachmaninoff? Seriously? LOL, I thought Croatian Rhapsody was too hard. That's ridiculous. I may have to re-think this!"
Any takers on Rachmaninoff? (i'm pretty certain that might be way over my head as well) dannylux, how advanced are you? i'm thinking you might be a good technical resource in these groups, yes?

seebechstein, glad you're in...ShiroKuro will be very happy to hear of this interest in Croatian Rhapsody (I'm going to have to give it a listen when I get the time). By the way, everyone won't have to agree on this...just enough folks to form a group. We'll be able to form groups once everyone else decides what they want to work on.

Vanfanel...yes, of course you can be added. It WILL be fun. Learning a difficult and challenging peice of music (at least for me) is such a solitary experience. This group thing should help make that experience a little less solitary.

[Edit: Doggone it, boss says i actually have to do a little work today...check ya later ;\) ]

Quote:
Don't most of us have jobs? I'm gone from home 11-12 hours a day and am lucky to squeeze in 20 min. of practice a day. Too many other responsibilities. I figure that I'm going to have trouble keeping up if we're all working on the same piece but want to try anyway.
Don't worry about that Agilita...many of us will be in the same boat...that's why we're taking time to determine what is reasonable for most folks.

#1006422 - 06/01/06 12:36 PM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I might give the Rachmaninoff a go... can I change my mind later? \:\)

#1006423 - 06/01/06 12:57 PM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Ooh, I thought of another piece to recommend, for New Age types...

"Waterfall," by Jon Schmidt.
You can hear it here: Waterfall

And download the music here:
Waterfall pdf download

The download costs $0.89, I think. You have to scroll way down to find "Jon Schmidt Piano Solos Book Vol. I," then select "Waterfall." In other words, you can download individual songs inside the book, you don't have to buy the whole book.

#1006424 - 06/01/06 01:23 PM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
petrof1 Offline

Rachmaninoffs' Prelude in C is beautiful, but unfortunately it is way above my level. However I am sure there are enough talented pianists on this forum who can handle it! ;\)

I took another look at the complete score of the CROATIAN RHAPSODY, and there are measures that I can handle and measures that would be difficult for me. I am not good enough yet in my skills level. I would probably end up being able to play only a part of the song. The tempo would be a challenge and the all the rests in the score would also be a challenge for me! But it sure would be a fun song to play around with! :p
Shiro, maybe some people haven't heard of this song, perhaps you can download it for people to listen to that are not familiar with it? I am sure some people would find it like me, to be a very beautiful song! \:\)

Also I wouldnt mind learning the Asokan Farwell. I have the score for it. It is in the Dan Coates book of Complete Advanced Piano Solos.That one doesn't look too hard, I think it is more on the intermediate level. It looks like one of the easier ones to play in that book.
I'd also like the Twinkle, Twinkle by Mozart. I love just about anything by Mozart. ;\)

And no, I don't have all day to practice! At most if I am lucky I have an hour a day.

#1006425 - 06/01/06 02:12 PM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
dk21208 Offline

Loc: FL
Ok, now that I kind of committed to this I will give some of my thoughts about how to approach it.

I think if it would be coolest if we all focused as one group on the same piece. I don't see this actually happening, so more realistically how about a classical group and one other group. Anyone who wants can be part of one or both groups without us snubbing those that refuse to play classical or refuse to play anything but classical.

I understand music purchases get to be expensive, but I would actually prefer if we did select something that is in hard print. I am one of those old stick-in-the-mud types that believe it is important to support the industry to promote putting out good transcriptions in the future.

My entry to the music pool is:
Ernesto Lecuona: Malaguena

I have wanted to learn this for a while, but have not put the effort into it yet. Someday I will have the motivation, though.

Edit: Forgot to mention practice time. I completely vary from 10 minutes to 2 hours each day. I don't think practice time should be substantial influence in this venture. Everyone is going to progress at a different rate no matter how we work that out.

#1006426 - 06/01/06 02:39 PM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, KY
Good Golly Miss Molly, looking at some of these suggestions makes me wonder what you all are doing in the beginner forum?

Sulking back to his corner and his easy sheet music

\:D

#1006427 - 06/01/06 02:46 PM Re: Piano Study Groups for Intermediate-Early Advanced Levels (anyone interested?)
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: 90 miles West of New Orleans
Here is the sheet music for Chopin Prelude Op. 28 NO. 15, Raindrop:

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/single_listing.cfm?composer_id=4

Mike

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
170 registered (36251, accordeur, acortot, A Guy, 48 invisible), 1768 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153544 Topics
2250260 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Learning Myths...
by evamar
17 minutes 52 seconds ago
Yamaha U3FS
by Piotr Dydycz
Today at 10:34 AM
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
Today at 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
Today at 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:19 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission