2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
I was wondering how long everyone has been playing. I just reached my 6 month pianoversary. I feel like I am making some progress just not as much as I had hoped. I hear how the music should sound in my head it is just not what comes out from my fingers.

My blog such as it is http://melissasjourneys.blogspot.com
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
HI Melissa....

Well, at two years, my progress in not as much as I had hoped. I hear how the music should sound in my head it is just not what comes out from my fingers. I think most of us would say the same thing....

BUT, and a big but, I am now working on much tougher music then when I started. The beginning stuff is easy. Never thought I would get to that point, but, by gosh, it is easy.

For you too, I would think. Go back 5 months in your workbook and see if it's not true for you as well.

Don't get in a hurry. That will lead to frustration. When you think it's too slow, go back and see how far you have come.

Amazing, huh?

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
I have been playing at the piano exactly 2 months. I have had 7 lessons (my teacher took Spring Break last week).

I feel as though I am making satisfactory progress. I am on page 26 of Alfred Adult course, Book 1 (not the all-in-one book). I think there I'd be on about page 50.

I have accumulated a vast library of piano books thanks to the ABF. I can't seem to resist when there is a thread in which a book receives some sense of universal acclaim.

My hands and fingers seem to be gradually, very slowly, developing some independence, flexibility, and some eyes of their own. I guess the true test will be if I can tap my head and rub my stomach at the same time (or is it rub my head and tap my stomach).

I still practice 60 to 90 minutes every day and enjoy the little successes when they come. I think it helps that the kids are out of the house and it's just me and the wife (32 years this year) now. Devoting oneself to one's hobbies is easier and less selfish when you aren't taking time away from the kids. Golf has always been so problemmatic in that regard.

Rod Michael
Mason & Hamlin AA, SN 93018
Yamaha CGP-1000, SN UCNZ01010
Zoom Q3
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Melissa

I'm going on eight months now.

Like you, I had hoped I'd be a lot further along by now, but have accepted the fact that is a slow going and will be a lot of work. I enjoy it though. Its taught me patience and keeps me out of trouble. smile

I think the forums have been a tremendous help. Interacting with others in the same boat has been invaluable in understanding and dealing with some of the challenges I'm going through.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It will be 2 years this May.
The majority of my first 1.5 years was spent on theory, much I have not retained, so now I am playing catch up on technique and site reading.

Congrats on your 6 month anniversary!! laugh

1.5yrs completed. A life time to go.......................

Naked

My signature answers your question.

I agree with Gmm1. When I look back at when I started down this wonderful road, I can't believe it would take me a good week to learn "Mary had a little lamb" etc. Now with about a dozen pieces to go in the Alfred's 2 all in one book (I'm on Battle hymn of the Republic at the moment). I'm amazed at how far I've come.

Having said that, I'll be absolutely thrilled if I can play like Gmm1 when I hit the 2 year mark. But hey... who knows?

[Linked Image]

At it since January 07 and LOVIN IT!!!

Check out my "HOUSE BLOG" http://amateurhousebuilder.blogspot.com/
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
18 months, best gift I ever gave myself was taking up the piano. I'm a childhood music retread, played several instruments for a long time as a kid so at least I knew how to read music.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi, Melissa. Not quite three months here.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Nineteen months as of 1 April. Not doing as well as I should, considering how much I practice, but better than I expected, having a pretty humorous lack of aptitude (10 thumbs, bad vision, decades of debauchery...).

It's been a real roller coaster. I had a nice growth spurt after I recently bought a new piano, but now I'm slipping while I force myself not look at the keys.

It's been a blast, no matter how I'm doing. smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've been taking lessons for 6 years!! and I still feel all thumbs at times although I've come a long way. The the music gets harder and my teacher gets pickier :rolleyes: so....it's still a struggle but I'm loving every minute.

One of the joys is going back to a piece that not so long ago was too difficult to find that it's now quite doable!!

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
B
B
I've been taking lessons for just 6 months. And just as MarkL says, it has been the best gift I ever gave myself (sorry for hijacking your words, MarkL smile )

D
D
Five months. I sometimes think it's futile to mention the couple of years I had as a kid 40 years ago, because I took from a kid - she was just a teenager while I was in grade school. I found some of that stuff was retained though & gives me a slight boost, while a lot was never taught. I didn't have to start at the dead beginning. Lessons were a gift to myself shortly after I turned 50 and I am loving every minute of it! Don't know when you get past hitting those wrong notes even though you know exactly where they should be. Enjoy your journey!

"Do you listen when you play, or do you just put your hands on the keyboard and hope for the best?" Author: Unknown
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Three months here. I'm still waiting for the beginner stuff to get easy. :-)

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
After noodling around ineffectually (piano-wise) on and off for about 20 years and never getting to the point where I could play anything for an audience, six weeks ago I decided to restart with the Higginson "Professional Chord System". No startling breakthroughs, but I've made progress and am having fun getting reintroduced to possibility of maybe someday being able to play popular piano.

We'll see.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I was piano obsessed but very poorly taught (more or less classical from the unqualified) from about age 5 until 17. Piano was pretty much out of my life from around age 21 until 51, than back in again very very seriously for the past three and a half years.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
H
H
Six years and finally feeling like I am getting to where I want to go. It is very exciting. Stay with it, it is more than worth it. Happy

F
F
Only about a year, without an in-person teacher (I'm working on that). At least I've been told by a few professional musicians that I'm doing well for my level. Right now I'm just about starting at an early intermediate level. I do believe that once I find a good teacher, I'll make faster progress.

Three years and a few months. I have a limited goal -- just to play a few classical pieces that I love. I feel I am succeeding -- on a good day, some small parts of my playing sound just like a recording.

If I practised more I'd be better, but statistically, I have only 17 more years to live (if I'm lucky!). Should I spend the extra time practicing, or should I go partying and chase wild women? smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Melisa,

Congratulations on your six months' efforts!

I wouldn't call my tinkling as playing but I started two weeks and two days ago, March 19th. I'm up to page 40 in Alfred's AIO, book 1, and loving every moment of it. heart

Keep up the good work, you won't have any choice but get better, just like many people here have already attested to.

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission