2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
The AB Forum's Holiday Recital is just under three weeks away, so I thought I'd ask how everyone's piece is coming. Anyone ready for the red light? Not me!

On Oct. 5, I selected a simple arrangement of "Silent Night" and started learning each hand separately. Just a couple of days ago, I gave hands together a shot and ... Oh, boy, I have got a long ways to go. In the meantime, I bought a USB mic and downloaded Audacity but will have to start recording my practice sessions just to figure out how the mechanics of it all.

Anyone else here feeling a bit overwhelmed?

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

You would have to bring this up, wouldn't you? wink

I am terribly frustrated with my recital piece. In all the past recitals I simply chose the piece I liked best that I had performance ready at the time. This is the first time I made a public (gulp!) commitment to play something that wasn't performance ready. "Oh, it's close enough," I thought to myself, "I'm sure I'll have it ready to record by Nov. 15th."

Famous last words! I'm still struggling with getting it up to pace. It's supposed to be played at MM=88, and I can barely get it to 60. And that's not even mentioning the many mistakes.

So, y'all better get primed for hearing a very s-l-o-w interpretation of The Holly and The Ivy. eek

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i havent been practicing much lately but ironically returned to it last night, and i Finally started the last 8 measures and can play them through slowly. so i am happy i finally got back to it. this recital piece has been so on again off again because i have been too busy. anyhow hope all is doing better than i:)

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was going to do River by Joni Mitchell, but somehow I never felt the inclination to actually learn it. Maybe some other time. Instead, I'll be doing some PianoMagic-style version of Silent Night and whatever else comes out. wink

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
dh...record and post in the October Piano bar, or send someone an email with the link attached, at least that way you'll feel a little better (I know I would)

Monica...if you wouldn't have let the cat out of the bag...*as read at bottom of post* no one would have known it had to be that fast...

funburger...at least yours has been "ON" at some point... eek

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Quit remindin' me!! LOL

I'm struggling with this thing, too. I can play the intro pretty well.... laugh Of course, that's only about 8 measures out of 3 pages!! I can muddle my way thru about a page and a half, but it just doesn't sound quite right yet. And this supposed to be really slow! Ah, well, if part of it is what I can do, then I guess that's what I'll do....

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh... my... GOD. I knew nothing about this recital... I'm currently working on the Rondo, the second and last movement of the sonata; I've just finished the andante. I think I won't be able to post the recording for that recital, but I'll be posting it soon. It's long and I'm working on a technique exercise for the wrist in the rondo.

And in my twisted face... there's not the slightest trace of anything that even hints at kindness...
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I figured that I'll download the music this weekend and work on it. Waiting 'till the last minute does'nt really bother me because when you improvise, your not really "learning" or playing the piece as written anyway.

.....and all this time you guys thought that I was'nt cheating!! laugh

Besides, I am going to "personally" meet with Jim Brickman tonight (NOT kidding!!), more on that tomorrow!. He is recording a track for his new "escape" album tonight here in Scottsdale.

OMG!!! You can't just say something like "I am going to personally meet with Jim Brickman tonight" without giving us some details! Spit it out, hunky!

Does this mean you won the Jim Brickman contest?

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Hey Hunky, tell him I bought his Christmas themes book and he did not include fingering. I am very upset as I have 10 digits and no clue which one goes with which note.

It will take me until next christmas to figure it out.....

You lucky dog you....

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Okay, stop it for now, I don't want to highjack this thread!...no more until tomorrow.

Just a hint: I am meeting with Jim this evening in about 2 1/2 hours from now! He is going to be at the Hyatt Regency hotel at Gainey Ranch (here is Scottsdale AZ) for a recording of his new CD "escape".

I somehow managed to get in touch with his tour manager and asked if I could meet him and possibly play "Lake eerie Rainfall" for him. I explained that I was in a very bad accident a few years ago in wich I broke my left hand off and that my piano playing has been a HUGE asset in my rehabilitation of the hand (mostly playing jim Brickman songs...listen to them in the recitals!)

Anyway, she said that I could meet with him, and if time allows, possibly play the song.

Being the shameless-self promoting pig that I am, don't be surprised if you hear on the news "Local Scottsdale man wearing only a speedo and a cape breaks into song at local Jim Brickman taping session" !!

I've got to start getting ready so I'll keep you posted....tomorrow.

P.S, I'll be sure to take some pics!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
My piece is ready but my recording set up is not. If we do manage it, it will be recorded on my Privia without the pedal. (I can't manage the Privia pedal, it's a 3 x 3" square of black plastic, not fixed. It skittles about all over the place and using it is like trying to stamp on a cockroach.) You have been warned.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's sorta there... I hope to record next week (on vacation a few days). smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by s54mo827:
It's sorta there... I hope to record next week (on vacation a few days). smile
Hope ya have nice weather...going anywhere/doing anything SPECIAL?

Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:

I've got to start getting ready so I'll keep you posted....tomorrow.

P.S, I'll be sure to take some pics!
Mr. Super_Hunky *I think I got it right this time* WHERES THOSE PICS AND REVIEW?? WHAT ARE YA DOIN?? SLEEPIN IN?? COME ON! mad

Les Koltvedt
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monster M&H:
dh...record and post in the October Piano bar, or send someone an email with the link attached, at least that way you'll feel a little better (I know I would)
Nice idea there, Monster. Unfortunately, that would require me to know the piece and how to record it, well ... now. Yikes! I've got enough of a problem aiming for Nov. 15. :p

If things really do go awry and I miss the official recital, I will certainly show up at whatever Piano Bar is open when I finally do get this piece ready. November, December ...

I'm lovin' the updates from everyone about their projects. thumb

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
*stares at mr super-hunky while rapping fingers on desk* WELLLLLL come on man...were diein here

Les Koltvedt
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Frycek:
My piece is ready but my recording set up is not. If we do manage it, it will be recorded on my Privia without the pedal. (I can't manage the Privia pedal, it's a 3 x 3" square of black plastic, not fixed. It skittles about all over the place and using it is like trying to stamp on a cockroach.) You have been warned.
Thanks for the warning, but I'm more concerned about you sliding off the bench one day while trying to stamp on that misbehaving pedal of yours. smile

Maybe placing a small patch of rubber under the pedal would help? Or what about that museum wax/putty stuff that's used to anchor items on display? Hmm. I don't suppose actually hammering a giant nail through the thing would be much of a plan. :rolleyes:

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
dh...just take it one step at a time...we'll all help you sort it out, it just might take a few days. Can ya live with the stuff layin around without kids/hubby/pets/etc messin with it??

Frycek...if your on a carpeted surface, stick some velcro -the hook side- to the bottom of the pedal, maybe 4 pieces, one on each side. That should hold it too.

Les Koltvedt
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
So, y'all better get primed for hearing a very s-l-o-w interpretation of The Holly and The Ivy. eek
You'll have company. If I'm very lucky I'll be somewhere between very slow and very very slow.

What happened to the time?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Frycek:
Frycek- what you need is one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Sustain-PedalSP2?sku=703613

I used to have one of those square plastic things- hated it! This is much better- feels more "real" and doesn't slide all over my carpet.

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission