Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
132 registered (accordeur, ajames, anamnesis, Al LaPorte, 45 invisible), 1558 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1007144 - 02/21/09 07:09 AM ABRSM Jazz piano from scratch
Sundew Offline

Loc: England
Is anyone familiar with this volume and the associated books?

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1007145 - 02/21/09 10:16 AM Re: ABRSM Jazz piano from scratch
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
This would be the ABRSM book/CD by Charles Beale?

I recently got this and the Grades1-5 scales book. But I haven't got any of the other books in the series just yet and haven't started working on it yet. I'm a complete novice at this, but it looks pretty well structured.

Elwyn

Daily ramblings....

#1007146 - 02/22/09 03:02 AM Re: ABRSM Jazz piano from scratch
Sundew Offline

EJR Yep that's the one. I looked at it a couple of years ago when I first began and decided it wasn't for me at that time but am now tempted to broaden my horizons.I was wondering how suitable it might be for a self-learner.

#1007147 - 02/22/09 04:32 AM Re: ABRSM Jazz piano from scratch
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sundew,

Well, I think since the book has a narrative that reads like a teacher carefully explaining things, which together with the CD to hear the examples, means that a self learner can gain a lot from it.

My concern is at a more philosophical level that Jazz education is at some fundamental level oral/aural and that when you do "your bit"/"improvisation" whatever, that without someone who knows their chops it may be absolute pants, and not know it...

That said, I'd already decided to start right at the beginning with this series and buy the grade 1 stuff (so that the pieces should be relatively easy).

One possibility would be to kick off a thread(s) here to discuss the workshops and try to resolve any issues?

Elwyn

Daily ramblings....

#1007148 - 02/24/09 03:44 AM Re: ABRSM Jazz piano from scratch
Sundew Offline

Hi Elwyn and my apologies for omitting your sig name from my first response.

Thanks for clarifying. I thought that as the book came under the aegis of ABRSM there would be a strong assumption in the presentation that a teacher's input would be present in the learning curve. I think absolute pants could probably apply to any genre, particularly when applied to me . Learning to listen is paramount to progress. I pick up more errors when I listen to a recording of my self than when playing, but a professional critique would certainly help.

I found this online radio site yesterday.

http://www.jazzfm.com

I also looked at the Tim Richards Exploring Jazz
Piano book but that requires a level of competence I don't have. Grade 1 I can manage.

If I get into it, online discussion would be great, though as no one else has posted perhaps few in this forum are using it?.

#1007149 - 02/24/09 07:56 AM Re: ABRSM Jazz piano from scratch
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
There also are Grades 1-5 of pieces for ABRSM Jazz piano with CDs available showing how they sound but also with backing tracks for you to play with. You could also get the first two books.

IMO these are really top notch quality materials. The thing will be to find a teacher who can use these as part of the resources to teach you. Particularly when it comes to learning how to do the improvisation which is assumed within each piece of various jazz styles a teacher's input will probably be irreplaceable.

Nothing keeps you from doodling around with the "from scratch" and set pieces books though. While you are at it get the scales books and work through those and perhaps one of the "jazz vocabulary" , "jazz hanon" or "oscar peterson" study books to give you some basic building blocks that you can learn and memorize they way that you would memorize your first 1000 words learning Spanish...

#1007150 - 02/25/09 01:06 PM Re: ABRSM Jazz piano from scratch
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sundew,

"... I found this online radio site yesterday.
http://www.jazzfm.com
I also looked at the Tim Richards Exploring Jazz ..."

Thanks for the links and the Tim Richards series looks interesting.

thejourney,
'...There also are Grades 1-5 of pieces for ABRSM Jazz piano with CDs available..."

Well a copy of the ABRMS Jazz Grade 1 pieces book arrived today and an email says that the CD is in transit. So it looks like I'm now committed to this.... \:\)

I also spotted that from a ABRSM "classical" piano perspective that the Grade 5 Jazz also counts as Grade 5 theory to enable one to progress to Grades 6 to 8 practical; not that I've done any of them :p . It just seems interesting that ABRSM formally acknowlege the amount of theory intrinsically required to practically play Jazz.

"... IMO these are really top notch quality materials..."

Cool! Thanks for the recommendation

"...The thing will be to find a teacher who can use these as part of the resources to teach you..."

Luckily there are a number of local teachers doing classical/jazz ABRSM to grade 8. But I'm going to see how it progresses going it alone for a bit.

Elwyn

Daily ramblings....

#1007151 - 02/26/09 03:39 AM Re: ABRSM Jazz piano from scratch
Sundew Offline

TheJourney, thanks for the encouraging input. Being mostly self-taught, using method books and latterly graded original pieces I have become uncomfortably aware of how little I know and have picked up in respect of musical structure and form. I looked at a jazz site the other day, read some beginners stuff and a little light went on that really should have clicked months ago. I won't say what so as to spare my blushes, but my daughter was unable to stifle a snigger when I shared my eureka moment with her.

Thanks for the other recommendations. Hopefully acquiring a basic vocabulary will help establish the direction I ultimately wish to take. Then later this year, when I have extra funds, I can look for the appropriate teacher.

Elwyn, the Tim Richards Jazz book recommends beginning with his blues book. Let us know how you get on. \:\)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Book about Alice Herz-Sommer, pianist and holocaust survivor
by neuralfirings
37 minutes 13 seconds ago
What does a dealer have to reveal?
by chasingrainbows
48 minutes 13 seconds ago
Mark your calendars!
by Rich Galassini
Today at 07:30 AM
Why single note intonation came from Russia but not USA?
by Hakki
Today at 06:46 AM
Problem with mothergoosetools.com website
by daniokeeper
Today at 02:33 AM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159363 Topics
2340985 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission