Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1007580 - 11/24/08 07:37 AM Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Practicing hard (as we all do) can work up a hearty appetite - so what do you like to munch on and/or sip while practicing?

During my morning practice session I usually have just a couple of cups of hot tea (English Breakfast, thank you), while during my evening practice session right after dinner it's usually just a bottle of spring water and 3-4 Werther's hard candies (yum).

And have you ever had any rather unsavory (and damaging) experiences with getting crumbs and/or liquids onto (into) your keyboard?

Regards (and hopefully among the first to wish you a happy & tasty Thanksgiving), JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1007581 - 11/24/08 07:47 AM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Usually coffee in the morning. Maybe a diet cola in the evening...'cept maybe a glass of wine if I'm practicing on Friday or Saturday evening (more than one though and things fall apart). And..I have a jubejube weakness so if there any of those in the house......

#1007582 - 11/24/08 10:47 AM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
Beethoven Fan Offline

not so much anymore, but i have found myself drinking soda between repetitions, and ice cream and donuts. yeah, the healthy life....

#1007583 - 11/24/08 10:49 AM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
wj3 Online   content

Loc: Salem, Or
Coffee in the morning, Tea (good old liptons) in the afternoon. Never near the keyboard or on the piano.

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on (Simply Joplin) Solace, Peacherine Rag, A Breeze from Alabama:, (Burgmuller) Progres, Limpid stream.

#1007584 - 11/24/08 12:23 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
caracantabile Offline

Loc: USA
I keep a bottle of water on a table near the DP. Never on it, I have a cat who likes to bat things off surfaces. Crystal Light is great for changing flavors.

As for food... well, usually I remember to eat after practice.. forgetting is a pretty bad habit :|

Currently memorizing for class: Debussy Prelude #8

#1007585 - 11/24/08 12:42 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
Bex Offline

Loc: Southern California
A few times a week I have a Mai Tai while practicing. Only one, though. And yes, I do get hungry. I usually snack on chips, but I keep the chips on a table several feet away. That way, no crumbs get on the keyboard.
Jardins sous la pluie

#1007586 - 11/24/08 01:17 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
KaylaX Offline

Loc: N. Cali
There is a can of butter toasted peanuts from the Girl Scouts that I nibble on....

And in the evening there is usually a glass of wine that helps me with my playing.

I dont think the two go well together so the peanuts are for during the day and the wine at night!!!!!

#1007587 - 11/24/08 01:40 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
That's probably the only time I am not eating-LOL

#1007588 - 11/24/08 01:58 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
I have never gotten the munchies during or right after playing!

#1007589 - 11/24/08 02:18 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Control your satiety center by chewing sugarless gum. Also, eating shelled sunflower seeds throughout the day will trick your satiety center to feel full while you hardly ate anything due to the good fat found in them.

Low fat yogurt is also a must for the live cultures (acidophilus).

Caffeine is a good way to wake up as well as a stimulant but its also a diuretic and will make you pee-pee frequently.

I never eat anything while I play but sometimes I chew on pen caps!.

#1007590 - 11/24/08 02:25 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kymber:
That's probably the only time I am not eating-LOL [/b]
:D

Some of us, however, apparently never let a practice session get in the way of a good snack! \:\)

Regards, JF

#1007591 - 11/24/08 02:43 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I have a strict rule, no food or beverages near the digital piano, I am the on;ly one who is allowed to let a drink come near it. I will have either a water, beer or glass of wine on the computer desk near the piano.
I often become very hungry when practicing, so if usually ends up as a reward system for me. For example, 10 more reps of these sections and I am allowed a snack.

#1007592 - 11/24/08 06:18 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
Euphonatrix Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hessen, Germany
I practice in the evening, after work, and treat myself to a huge glass of latte macchiato with flavoured syrup or hot chocolate with espresso and frothed milk. Preparing it has become kind of a ritual or opening ceremony for my practice sessions.
Usually I add some cookies but I stop playing to nibble at them - chewing seems to interfere with my sense of rhythm. :rolleyes:

I also get up between pieces to go and drink still water.

#1007593 - 11/24/08 08:15 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
saerra Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I usually have water on the side table next to the digital piano... but no food while I'm practicing.

BUT - I've noticed that nibbling on nice high-quality chocolate while trying to do composing homework really helps things work much more smoothly (and helps me stay up into the wee hours of the morning getting things done!)

\:\) Oh chocolate, my yummilicious downfall!!!

#1007594 - 11/24/08 11:40 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
I usually have my diet Coke on the window stool near my bench. Never on the piano, though. I try not to eat while playing, though. I think that doing so brings about crummy results. \:D

flickr

#1007595 - 11/25/08 01:36 AM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
Yoke Wong Offline

Loc: California
No food but plenty of water. I do find myself experiencing lower back pain after practicing more than 30-45 minutes in a row.
Wonder how many people do body stretching before practice?
Yoke Wong

#1007596 - 11/25/08 04:26 AM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
Euan Morrison Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Edinburgh
Either a cola, or a beer to sip. I don't tend to eat during practice - normally my practice sessions are so short and broken up that I don't get hungry during them.

#1007597 - 11/25/08 09:12 AM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoke Wong:
Wonder how many people do body stretching before practice?
[/b]
I do streches before and during. If I have the good fortune to be able to practice for an hour or more, I usually stretch ever 20 minutes or so.

#1007598 - 11/25/08 09:35 AM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:

I never eat anything while I play but sometimes I chew on pen caps!. [/b]
Sounds delicious and nutritious (low cal too) ;\)

#1007599 - 11/25/08 11:48 AM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have a very bad pen chewing habit.
At least people at work rarely walk off with my pens.

They usually don't taste too bad, until it leaks in your mouth, which has happened a few times already.

#1007600 - 11/25/08 12:50 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Well, as much as I like potato chips, I would never eat or drink near my piano. Sometimes when I get up early in the morning and play my grand piano I will set my coffee cup on a coffee table near the piano. If I want a drink of coffee, I will get up and go to the coffee table and take a sip and go sit back down on the piano bench. My grand piano is near and dear to my heart and I don’t want to get crumbs or liquids down into the action or soundboard.

You can look at me and tell that I am not missing any meals or snacks due to playing my piano. \:D

Take care,

Rickster

#1007601 - 11/25/08 02:26 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
SantaFe_Player Offline
500 Post Club Member

In the early morning (5:00 or so) I will bring my second cup of coffee to the piano, where it sits on the nearby 'drink stand' and gets forgotten. In the afternoon or evening, this would be Diet Coke, that likewise gets forgotten - unless I get stopped for some other reason, at which time I might take a swig if I remember (or notice) the drink is there. If I'm hungry when practicing, I ignore it and it goes away - after all, I'm busy! I can't be bothered with food when I'm trying to work. On the other hand, if the cats are hungry they make sure I take care of it before I can practice in peace.

#1007602 - 11/25/08 05:35 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Macadamia nuts are my favorite snack, and a nice little "reward" for practicing or working. Any kind of nuts actually will do...hmmm, they say you are what you eat. \:D :p

#1007603 - 11/25/08 09:15 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
I used to nibble on shredded wheat or peanuts but since I got my Steinway, I've imposed a no eating rule on myself. "He's" just to precious to me to mess up with crumbs or spills.

Deborah

#1007604 - 11/26/08 04:32 AM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gooddog:
I used to nibble on shredded wheat or peanuts but since I got my Steinway, I've imposed a no eating rule on myself. "He's" just to precious to me to mess up with crumbs or spills. [/b]
Funny - I thought pianos, like ships, are "shes" (but maybe that depends on the shape of the legs ;\) :p ).

Regards, JF

#1007605 - 11/27/08 04:42 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
 Quote:
Originally posted by John Frank:
 Quote:
Originally posted by gooddog:
I used to nibble on shredded wheat or peanuts but since I got my Steinway, I've imposed a no eating rule on myself. "He's" just to precious to me to mess up with crumbs or spills. [/b]
Funny - I thought pianos, like ships, are "shes" (but maybe that depends on the shape of the legs ;\) :p ).

Regards, JF [/b]
There is no question that my "O" is male - because of his deep, resonating bass.

Deborah

#1007606 - 11/27/08 07:35 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
Kawai, HI Offline

Loc: Hawaii
Bar-B-Que chicken wings, plates of spaghetti, french fries with lotsa ketchup, Kentucky Fried Chicken...Just kidding ;\)

#1007607 - 11/27/08 08:21 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I wouldn't think of it. I really should get up more often to at least get a drink, but I don't even do that unless I needed a stretch.

But, who's to say that away from the keyboards and pianos that we can't endulge, especially on a day such as today. :3hearts:
Sweet Potato Pie , made from scratch today.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.

Key Notes \:\)

#1007608 - 11/27/08 09:52 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
Ivory Dreams Offline

Loc: Central NC
I made a special trip to town an bought myself one of those little fern stands. I put it right beside my piano bench. It is the perfect (and safe) place for my mornng coffee and my evening glass of wine.

You can own a Chickering, Christifori, or Steinway, but if you can't play it.... It is just a piece of eye candy.

#1007609 - 11/28/08 03:29 PM Re: Slightly OT - Dealing with the "munchies' during practice
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ivory Dreams:
I made a special trip to town an bought myself one of those little fern stands. I put it right beside my piano bench. It is the perfect (and safe) place for my mornng coffee and my evening glass of wine. [/b]
Nice idea Ivory Dreams. \:\)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
109 registered (7notemode, anotherscott, Alan F, 36 invisible), 1467 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76053 Members
42 Forums
157253 Topics
2309705 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway or Porsche?
by Jennymomofboys
09/02/14 10:16 PM
Shostakovich Prelude 4 (E minor)
by johnlewisgrant
09/02/14 09:24 PM
Help!
by MandyD
09/02/14 09:09 PM
kitchen studio for summer just gone
by toddy
09/02/14 08:41 PM
Aebersold Play-Alongs
by EP
09/02/14 06:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission