Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Yamaha CP4 Rebate
Yamaha CP4 Rebate
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
80 registered (AZNpiano, augustm, AZ_Astro, Azeyic, AndyP, 22 invisible), 995 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1008485 - 07/25/08 04:57 PM Re: How long do you practice daily?
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
daily?

Cathy

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1008486 - 07/25/08 06:07 PM Re: How long do you practice daily?
piano4 Offline

Loc: Hampton, Virginia
i try to practice where I work ( church) to get away from my office. I usually grab a bite to eat and then practice for about 45-an hour and the staff knows that's where I am. (I've only had one person interupt me during this time). But mostly when I get home, I practice for two hours on week nights after dinner, when I'm not doing grad work ( I'm free until Sept.19:-))) then as much as I can during the weekend.

I'm working on Serenade from String Quartet,Op3 from Haydn and scales/trills so I stay pretty busy and it's my relaxation!

#1008487 - 07/25/08 06:24 PM Re: How long do you practice daily?
Piano91 Offline

Loc: Spain
I practice only 1 hour, simply because my bed is right next to my digital piano. so when i get tired of practicing, I say to myself: well, lets hear some liebestraume, I press the play button and I wake up some hours later... \:o

seriously, 19th century music makes me sleep with an overwhelming efectiveness

and srry for my english :p

#1008488 - 07/25/08 10:50 PM Re: How long do you practice daily?
Late Beginner Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: West Australia
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ted:
I do very little that could be termed "practice"; I prefer "real" playing. I have five to ten minutes in the morning on my silent practice clavier most days, which activity is sufficient to keep my physical technique at an operative level. Once at the piano I like to make music. [/b]
I'm pretty similar, even though I'm only a beginner on piano. Mr Super-Hunky's description of "snacking" fits me too.

I have no organised practice schedule, plan or strict curriculum, and I never have had, for any instrument. This probably sounds like a recipe for disastrous dabbling, but it has worked for me. I suspect that it has worked for many others too. ;\)

I have a number of instruments that I'm trying to make progress on, so it's quite random. I might pick up a guitar and play for a few minutes - or even just a few seconds (in fact I did just that between paragraphs above). I might have a half hour session at the drums, or a good long go at the keyboard. But then one or the other might get ignored for days, or weeks (months with clarinet). I hardly ever stick to 'exercises' as such, but turn everything into a little piece of music. So, for instance, I'd never just play scales straight just for the sake of it, I'd always run up and down them whilst varying the rhythm and dynamics to see what I can find, maybe add a chord or two to see how they fit in various combinations and then start dodging about and making up tunes for a while, and so on. Finding out what doesn't work is as useful as discovering what does. What's even better is taking what doesn't work and twisting it around until it does. \:\)

I find this all rather like riding a bicycle - I don't forget all the techique in between. Rusty of course, but that doesn't take all that long to oil up again. Of course, I'm not a virtuoso at anything - but I don't aim to be either. My goal is all round enjoyment of music as a hobby, the knowledge required to write songs, and the ability to play at least some of the parts.

I didn't start at all until I was 58 either. Also often thought to be a big handicap. But after 2 years I was a good enough guitarist to be invited to join a local group, and we played in public. Nothing fancy, but it sure was fun, and still is (I'm 61 now and we play every week).

I don't think that it matters what your style, schedule or curriculum is just as long as it suits you and it stays motivating. Keep your motivation and enjoyment up and you'll usually succeed in progressing to your goals. Lose your interest and motivation and you're out of the race.

Cheers,

Chris

#1008489 - 07/26/08 12:33 AM Re: How long do you practice daily?
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Late Beginner:
[QUOTE]I don't think that it matters what your style, schedule or curriculum is just as long as it suits you and it stays motivating. Keep your motivation and enjoyment up and you'll usually succeed in progressing to your goals. Lose your interest and motivation and you're out of the race.

Cheers,

Chris [/b]
Well said!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
circle of 5ths coaster
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Hal Leonard Teacher VIP
Hal Leonard Teacher VIP Your Source for Piano Music
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
72 BPM is too fast for Bach's Goldberg Variations Aria
by pianoman9
03/27/15 02:30 AM
Royal conservatory certificates, are they worth the hassle?
by YadielOmar
03/27/15 12:43 AM
Vince Grantano
by Rich Galassini
03/26/15 10:48 PM
A Fun Voice - "Toy Piano"
by McBuster
03/26/15 09:23 PM
Setting an aural stretch to an ETD
by Matias Palou
03/26/15 09:00 PM
What's Hot!!
Trade Regrets: Gary Trafton - Piano Rep
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
78,662 Registered Members
43 Forums
162,736 Topics
2,388,847 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission