2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
JoeG Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I've been using Sudnow's Method since late April, and have Misty down well, and As Time Goes By down almost as well. I recently started Someone To Watch Over Me, and almost have it "under my fingers".

However, I've noticed when learning Someone To Watch Over Me that sometimes I start to make a fair number of mistakes on Misty and ATGB.

I'm wondering whether this may be due to one (or both) of two reasons:

1) As I learn more songs, it's harder to remember the old ones, i.e. my brain gets "filled up" (I hope not after just two songs).

2) When new songs have chords similar to, but slightly different, from those in already known songs, this causes me to get "confused" on the old songs, because the chords are similar but not quite the same.

What do you more experienced players think? Or is there possibly another reason, e.g. this is typical and indicative of the need to practice previously-known songs more? Or, does one just have "bad days" where nothing seems to go right (although it's two days in a row for me!).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Joe,

This happens to me often. I think everything you said it exactly right!! I find the harder the new piece, the more time and concentration I have to put into it and the more likely it is for older pieces to require more frequent "review." You'll get lots of great advice here but I think you'll find that it's pretty common.

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
Oh yeah, I get that too. Get a bit angry at myself sometimes, for forgetting a much simpler song I could play before, but I just practise it and I get it again. Sometimes it's quite alarming - a piece I played fine the day before, I just have total memory lapse! It's nothing to worry about...I hope!

"Without a piano I don't know how to stand, don't know what to do with my hands."
- Norah Jones
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I get that too Joe. I also sometimes get confused in the same song when chords are similar. Also, when there is a different chord someplace, but it depends on which time through the chorus it is as to which chord to play. frown But it straightens out eventually.

As long as you play through each song at least once a day, then you'll make it more solid under your fingers. You have to pay attention when you're playing it though. No day dreaming allowed. wink

J
JoeG Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who experiences this problem!

Joe

R
R
It do, and at all levels. My most recent experience was with the Brahms G minor Rhapsody (79.2). The staccato section close to the beginning is in about two parts, with various differences in accidentals although the motif is identical. I regularly confused the two, ending the first part with the cadence of the second, and worse! Only way I solved it was to memorize.

in psychology there is a theory that states learning something new equals forgetting or gettng mixed up with previously learned material.
it's called retroactive forgetting or something.
and there is substational evidence to back it up.
you're just normal like everyone else in that respect.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission