2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
OP Offline
B
Mine is the Pianist. Good combination of history drama, awesome settings, great clothing, emotional stirring and an awesome piano solo at the end.
what is yours? reason why i ask, i just recently been interested in seeing movies centered around the piano, or the piano as a major backdrop. i want to go rent these based on your choices.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I liked The Pianist, too. I also liked "The Piano" (with Holly Hunter) very much, in large part due to Michael Nyman's moving score. (Harvey Keitel's naked butt I could do without. wink ) One of these days I WILL learn "The heart asks pleasure first"!

B
B
Hi Briian 13 ....

Can't go wrong with the Liberace story. He is credited with the best quote (for my money) regarding reviews of his playing ...

"...It doesn't matter what they say about me -as long as they say something!"

Balladeer

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The Pianist for sure. And what was the name of the one where the kid went nuts trying to learn the Rach3? That was a good one.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
So far "The Legend of 1900." There is a piano duel in it between "our hero" and Jelly Roll Morton that will make you sweat. On the peripheral side, there's nice little piano bits in "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte," and in another good old Brit gothic, "The Uninvited."

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
K
K
The Pianist hands down. Chopin soundtrack and moving story.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Con Amore - a Polish movie about 2 pianists and Chopin piano competition in Warsaw.

Amadeus!!! Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet...

Interesting thread!

Originally posted by Peyton:
The Pianist for sure. And what was the name of the one where the kid went nuts trying to learn the Rach3? That was a good one.
"Shine" - David Helfgott bio.

Bösendorfer 225
Yamaha CVP 307
--------------
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. Henry David Thoreau
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A Charlie Brown Christmas

Its not about the piano, and I'm not sure its a movie, but just listen to that piano !! thumb

-angelojf

Imortal Beloved: Story of Beethoven

"Play from the heart, practice from the head"

"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S

Another vote for "Amadeus". I love the part in the royal palace where Salieri is playing, and Mozart picks up on his theme, and improvises how the piece "could" sound...very funny.

B
OP Offline
B
thank you, i have seen Shine and Amadeus, both great movies.
I have made a mental list of all the recommendations; I just hope my blockbuster even carries at least one of those names. probably not.

B
OP Offline
B
let me add that my favorite scene in The Pianist is when the kind German officer wanted Brody to play the piano, probably thinking, "pianist?? show me then" and then Brody slowly crept up to the piano, almost looking like he was lying, played a few notes like anyone could do, but then displayed a masterpiece that not only confirmed to the officer, but blew him away.
the acting of that scene was very subtle but incredible, without any words you could tell what both were communicating to each other. and then at the end, the German officer (we find out he has a very high status) brings him a cloth of bread and jam (which Brody almost dies for, i also took out my jam from the fridge to do the same thing after i saw that) and the metal hinge that Brody tried to use to open the can. very touching, very thoughtful for the officer to supply that, remembering that from the night before...showing that even the wicked german regime has a few human beings with a warm heart.

my favorite scene in amadeus, was when Mozart was entertaining the club of people he worked with, imitating Salieri and such. I always dreamed of being able to play the piano for a group of people, or at a place so that everyone can gather around and smile.

what is your favorite scene of a movie?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Madame Sousatzka, with Shirley MacLaine is one of my very favorites.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
briiian,

There are a couple of scenes in the Pianist which are my favourites:

- When Szpilman gets moved to a new flat (with a piano in it smile ). He is under strict instruction to be 'very quiet'. He slowly adjusts the stool, the orchestra begins the piece, he raises his hands above the keys and .....

- I also liked the scenes in the ghetto cafe, first when he gets asked to stop for a few minutes - he starts blowing a kiss to the lady. And the second time, when his sister is there - he plays the ending of the piece in record time to go and see what is wrong.

One thing I never understood about the film - when Szpilman plays to the German, we see guards outside. Surely they would hear the amazing playing through the ruins and realise that Hosenfeld wasn't that good at the piano?

B
OP Offline
B
Euan,
i thought about that too, but then on second thought, i figured,
the guards cannot question their commander and must stay on guard. they may think probably he does secretly know how to play that piece, and maybe also the guards may not have any interest in piano to take any notice.
whatever their commanding officer told them to do , they must do, and whatever he does inside is no business of theirs.
that is what i rationalized about that peculiarity.

anyways, lazy saturday today, nothing to do, maybe i'll pop the pianist dvd in and watch again!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, that is a logical answer to the problem.

Another one is that the guards probably wouldn't be thinking of a scenario involving a world-class pianist found hiding in the ruins, and now playing in the same building as a german officer. That would be a little fantastical (yet true!)

Another movie which is good is 'Richter: The Enigma'. Lots of good footage of Sviatoslav Richter and a detailed look at his life and playing.

Enjoy watching The Pianist again!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission