Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1009461 - 10/23/06 04:33 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Hey remember Groundhog Day? Not a piano movie but there was the great part when Bill Murray living the one day over and over takes piano lessons so that in the end it appears he has learned to be this great pianist over night.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1009462 - 10/23/06 05:11 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Originally posted by Peyton:
Hey remember Groundhog Day? Not a piano movie but there was the great part when Bill Murray living the one day over and over takes piano lessons so that in the end it appears he has learned to be this great pianist over night.
Hey Peyton, that's probably most every pianist dream (deep down) - to impress - how did they learn to play like that!!! Kewl! (Play to impress yourself and you are sure to impress your audience). WOOT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7-qjprix4

#1009463 - 10/23/06 05:20 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
I've just read a review of a new film about pianos - it is called "The Page Turner". I think it's French. It is about a young girl who is a talented pianist who enters a competition, where a woman judge treats her badly. Later on when she becomes the judge's page-turner she gets her revenge...

Has anyone seen it? I'm going to find out if it's on in London maybe.

Best wishes, Mary-Rose

#1009464 - 10/23/06 05:22 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
"5 Easy Pieces."

#1009465 - 10/24/06 10:34 AM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
JerryG Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
How about "Song Without End" the story of Franz Liszt starring Dirk Bogarde and Capucine (an actress who later committed suicide).

What about the Eddie Duchin Story staring Tyrone Power and Kim Novak.

"The Competition" with Richard Dryfus and Amy Irving was also very good.

#1009466 - 10/24/06 11:13 AM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
It's certainly not a piano movie ... but I was highly amused by one scene in the recent "Poseidon." It's a remake of the 1970s disaster flick in which a cruise ship is capsized by a giant wave. Among other unlikely scenarios that follow, a boy ends up trapped on a piano hanging from the ceiling .

I laughed my socks off at first but then I thought, hey, I wonder if they really do bolt pianos to the floor on cruise ships? If the ships rolls hard in a storm, I sure wouldn't want a big old grand circumnavigating the ballroom all on its own. Not that there's any chance the bolts would hold once the room went upside-down, or even that the body of the instrument would stay attached to the legs ... but, seriously, would there ever be a time to bolt a piano to the floor?

FYI, yes, I checked. It's a Baldwin.

\:\)

#1009467 - 10/24/06 06:45 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Moe Howard Offline

Loc: Placerville, California
 Quote:
What about the Eddie Duchin Story staring Tyrone Power and Kim Novak.
JerryG,

The Eddie Duchin Story was my vote in a similar thread over in the Piano Forum earlier this year. Carmen Cavallero did the actual playing in that movie.

Mason & Hamlin Model A #91743
----------------------------------

#1009468 - 10/24/06 09:41 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Anyone ever heard of the movie "Opus 11"
Good movie
About a blind kid and a high school band more than piano.

I would like the movie "Ray" is it had less sex and more music...

but im 13, and what do i know... :rolleyes:

#1009469 - 10/24/06 10:06 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
 Quote:
Originally posted by Debussy20:

Let's Do The Time Warp Again!
Another Rocky Horror fan here.

#1009470 - 10/24/06 10:15 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
alex s Offline

Loc: san antonio
Lisztomania !! Perhaps not the best piano movie, actually its fairly crumby, but highly recommended for its sheer novelty value. Has anyone seen the movie Lisztomania? This movie is difficult to find; it was an indie film made sometime in the mid 70s, therefore you will be luckly if you see it in a blockbuster. This is by no means a historical film, but just a comedic spin on a few composers. Notable aspects in the movie include our protangonist, Liszt, and a Pope, who is played by former Beatles drummer Ringo Starr. There are many hiliarious episodes, but since its been so long when I last saw it, I can't really elaborate. But yea, worth one viewing.

#1009471 - 10/24/06 10:32 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
icekid767 Offline

Loc: Orlando
Here's my favorite piano Joke.

A man walks into a bar. As he opens the door, he sees a tiny little man playing the piano in the corner.

Next to the tiny little man, there stood a dusty old genie lamp covered in rubies and diamonds. The man picks up the lamp and starts to rub the dust off of it.

In a whirlwind of smoke, an old old genie squeezes himself out if the lamp and says in a soft voice: "I will grant you one wish, so wish carefully."

The man says: "I wish for a million bucks" and suddenly the bar fills up with a million ducks quacking and pooping everywhere.

In disappointment, the man goes to the bartender and says: "I'm truly sorry, but I wished for a million bucks, not a million ducks. I think the genie is going deaf".

The bartender replies: "Tell me about it. Do you really think I wished for a twelve inch pianist?"

#1009472 - 10/25/06 12:06 AM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
97fingers Offline

Loc: Earth
 Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:

i thought amadeus was weird. was mozart really that nutty?[/b]
I just watched the Directors cut DVD last weekend. And yes, he was quite nutty and "dirty". Check out K.231 and K.232 and you may see what I mean.

Also, I remember from my trip to Salzburg: Mozart Kuglen - Mozart balls! Mmm. Chocolate with pistachio marzipan. Thus, his nuttiness lives on to this very day! \:\)

#1009473 - 10/25/06 12:12 AM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Ken Russell, Lisztomania, from the man who brought us The Devils of Loudon - -- Purist and stuffed shirts would find it appalling but I liked it. It's decidedly raunchy but goodnatured. It's silly, campy and very funny and still manages to portray the main events of Liszt's life in a highly symbolic way. I imagine Liszt somewhere in the great beyond might have gotten a chuckle out of it.

Watch out for Wagner with fangs.

#1009474 - 10/25/06 10:46 AM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
icekid... but \:D \:D

kathleen

#1009475 - 10/25/06 05:02 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
icekid767 Offline

Loc: Orlando
I know, it may be inappropriate, but I thought this was the "adult" beginner's forum.

In all seriousness, I would say my favorite movie was Impromptu. I remember a quote from that movie, which stuck with me. Chopin said to one of his students: "Simplicity is the hardest thing". It's something that I tend to live by, which means that I buy a lot of gadgets to make my complicated life simpler.

#1009476 - 10/25/06 05:26 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
The film Impromptu is great fun (and I thought quite well cast!). I love the way that all you see of Hugh Grant's Chopin for quite some time is a pair of perfectly white gloves. But it is so, so inaccurate. There's another Chopin film called "Desire for Love". Again inaccurate but better than Impromptu from that point of view. The actor playing Chopin was drop-dead gorgeous; so much so that I tried to find out more about him on the internet and discovered that in reality he isn't attractive at all!

How superficial of me :-)

#1009477 - 10/25/06 06:54 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maryrose:
The actor playing Chopin was drop-dead gorgeous; so much so that I tried to find out more about him on the internet and discovered that in reality he isn't attractive at all!

How superficial of me :-)
That same actor, Piotr Adamczyk, is played Pope John Paul II in a Polish miniseries about him.

#1009478 - 10/25/06 07:30 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
4000 Post Club Member

the actor who played in that one-man show "Monseiur Chopin" looks the way that chopin (should have, might have, could have, i wished that he may have) looked. ;\)

i was wondering if that theater company has any plans of taping that show and putting it out on a DVD. everywhere it appeared, it was a sold-out performance, which should give the "backers" an idea of making it a "movie."

desire for love was even worse. \:\( he was portrayed as a spoiled and selfish and not very likeable person. and this movie was, for the most part, made by and starred Poles. how could they do that to a national hero? i'd expect it from hollywood, but not from Poland.

at least in that old movie, (a song to remember) starring cornell wilde...(now that's a real stretch of the imagination) chopin's character was given some character. although the facts were really distorted, it wasn't painful to watch as were the other two. and, of course, the music was amazing, as were the scenery, sets and costumes.

kathleen

#1009479 - 10/25/06 08:01 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Kathleen, I read an interview with Hershey Felder, the actor in Monsieur Chopin. He said his biggest struggle in that production was keeping himself thin enough to play Chopin. Apparently he lost thirty pounds that he really didn't need to lose to make himself look as slight as he thought he needed to look. That's dedication. Like you, I pray they film it at some point. (They filmed Julie Harris' one woman show about Emily Dickinson, The Belle of Amherst.) I fear my hope of it coming to Atlanta is a very forlorn hope indeed. It's not like M. Chopin would be easy to recast and revive. You'd need a pianist who could act and was willing to starve himself from months into the bargain.

Re Impromptu and Chopin's white gloves: The costume designer for Impromptu actually had access to Chopin's tailor's records - imagine them still existing! and how I'd like to see them - so his clothing was absolutely authentic.

#1009480 - 10/25/06 08:39 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by icekid767:
I know, it may be inappropriate, but I thought this was the "adult" beginner's forum. [/b]
If there were a kid's begginer forum i would go there. (13 year old here) I'

#1009481 - 10/25/06 08:52 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
VE1PL Offline

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Although not a central figure, a pianist figures large in The Man Who Wasn't There (2001). The movie as a movie is very good. Although the piano playing is deliberately not special, it does present the frustrating truth applicable to many piano parents (and adult beginners). Billy Bob Thornton plays the lead; I forget the actress playing the player.

#1009482 - 10/26/06 11:33 AM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
4000 Post Club Member

Frycek:

Thanks so much for that information. Yes, that was true dedication on the part of Mr. Felder to starve himself. I thought I read that he researched and studied for 2 years to play this part. Why would they have to get another actor? Wouldn't it be cheaper and more convenient to just film the play as it "plays" and sell the DVD (like they do from actual performances by many of the rock stars)? I bought one of these type of DVD's for my daughter for her birthday...Jimmy Buffet Live from Wigley Field.

I know he did Gershwin first and is going to do Beethoven next. I guess he'll have to pack on some pounds for that part. I am going to buy tickets for that performance. It's coming to Chicago in Feb. Maybe you can fly up for that...my treat!!

I just get so frustrated knowing that M. Chopin was playing in Chicago (so close)for so many months, and I knew nothing about it. \:\(

You've only just convinced me, once again, that you will HAVE to move up to Rockford and live with my husband and me because you are so great with research, and how I would love to listen to you "practice" for all the hours you do.

Of course, the commute to your jobs would be tough. Well then, I guess I'll just come down and move in with you!! ;\)

Thanks again and sorry that M. Chopin won't be coming your way. \:\(

Kathleen

#1009483 - 10/26/06 02:10 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
Frycek:

Wouldn't it be cheaper and more convenient to just film the play as it "plays" and sell the DVD (like they do from actual performances by many of the rock stars)? [/b]
I truly hope they do exactly that. Do you know if they ever filmed his Gershwin play? If they did that would be a good indication of their intentions.

#1009484 - 10/26/06 03:43 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
4000 Post Club Member

No, I don't know. I don't even know who to contact for information or to suggest this idea. I guess I'll get on the internet and do some research.

I found a site that offers a 2 disc CD set of the play. I don't know if it's just the music or a recording of the whole performance. I am going to e-mail the address given and ask. I also sent a e-mail to the production company and suggested their doing DVD.

Anyhow, the site is Monsieur Chopin

Kathleen

#1009485 - 10/26/06 04:01 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
ipgrunt Offline

Loc: Western US
 Quote:
Originally posted by Debussy20:
 Quote:
Originally posted by icekid767:
I know, it may be inappropriate, but I thought this was the "adult" beginner's forum. [/b]
If there were a kid's begginer forum i would go there. (13 year old here) I' [/b]
AFAIK, if you demonstrate appropriate decorum and treat others here with respect, and from what I've read here you do that, then you are welcome here, whether you are 13 or 130.

#1009486 - 10/26/06 04:04 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
ipgrunt Offline

Loc: Western US
I may not be addressing the subject of piano movies directly, but I've always enjoyed watching the piano played by Chico Marx. Watching him "shoot" that upper key always gives me a laugh.

#1009487 - 10/26/06 04:18 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I don't remember Chico ever playing serious tune
or seriously..but Harpo always did..I guess he couldn't play funny on a harp! Bob

#1009488 - 10/26/06 04:35 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Moe Howard Offline

Loc: Placerville, California
 Quote:
I would like the movie "Ray" if it had less sex and more music...
but im 13, and what do i know...
DeBussy20,

Are you sure you are 13?

Mason & Hamlin Model A #91743
----------------------------------

#1009489 - 10/27/06 12:00 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Eternal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Posts: 80,372
Here's my favorite piano movie :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91xsLS3us-0

#1009490 - 10/27/06 04:49 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
4000 Post Club Member

Gosh...eternal,

you have a unique sense of humor. \:\(

Kathleen

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A REALLY Indirect Blow Action
by Steve Cohen
09/18/14 09:01 AM
Bone chilling ending to pieces
by lacrymosa85
09/18/14 08:44 AM
help with finger numbers in this piece...
by PianoKimmy
09/18/14 05:35 AM
Most Difficult?
by SiFi
09/18/14 01:21 AM
What is most common size wire to break?
by Ed McMorrow, RPT
09/18/14 12:19 AM
Who's Online
124 registered (Alexander Borro, alexbergauer, Al LaPorte, 3times2, ando, 45 invisible), 1242 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157600 Topics
2314934 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission