Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
96 registered (Anne'sson, accordeur, anamnesis, Almaviva, 29 invisible), 1330 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1009491 - 10/27/06 05:34 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Shey Offline

Loc: Greater Manchester, England
That was surreal Eternal!! Is there a list anyone could compile please, of those fab movies which contain piano and / or anything to do with piano? I have just bought Amadeus from my local shop, and am so looking forward to watching it. Some of the others mentioned, I cannot find, eg Con Amore, Fantasia (unless you mean 'Disney' ugh), and Madame Sousatzka, please advise. Thanks, Shey
Adult returner

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1009492 - 10/27/06 07:18 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
 Quote:
Originally posted by Eternal:
Here's my favorite piano movie :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91xsLS3us-0 [/b]
Well, that's one way to get rid of those unwanted piano-shaped objects we hear tale of in these forums. \:\)

That clip also reminded me of a truly classic piano movie: Laurel and Hardy's Oscar-winning The Music Box . (I should say that the movie is certainly not famous for how anyone played the piano in it, LOL.) There's a clip on the "Film Clips" page at that site.

#1009493 - 10/30/06 07:52 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Shey Offline

Loc: Greater Manchester, England
Amadeus was fabulous! I loved it. I am so looking forward to getting other piano movies for Christmas. Thanks to this thread I have a list now! Shey
Adult returner

#1009494 - 10/30/06 08:04 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
I’ve just remembered a really dire film about Chopin called “The Mystery of Chopin – the Strange Case of Delphina Potocka” (1999). Has anyone else seen this? Its credentials are quite good – the director is Tony Palmer and the lead actors are Paul Rhys and Penelope Wilton. There’s also a young Russian pianist called Valentina Igoshina. But it is truly dreadful. Paul Rhys looks wrong, has a Welsh accent and portrays Chopin unconvincingly. In fact the whole story is based on a fabrication and apart (of course) from the music it is ghastly. Be warned!

I am wondering if there is any other composer who has had so many films made about him.

#1009495 - 10/30/06 08:06 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I’ve just remembered a really dire film about Chopin called “The Mystery of Chopin – the Strange Case of Delphina Potocka” (1999). Has anyone else seen this? Its credentials are quite good – the director is Tony Palmer and the lead actors are Paul Rhys and Penelope Wilton. There’s also a young Russian pianist called Valentina Igoshina. But it is truly dreadful. Paul Rhys looks wrong, has a Welsh accent and portrays Chopin unconvincingly. In fact the whole story is based on a fabrication and apart (of course) from the music it is ghastly. Be warned!

I am wondering if there is any other composer who has had so many films made about him.

#1009496 - 10/30/06 09:03 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
We had a discussion of “The Mystery of Chopin – the Strange Case of Delphina Potocka” on the Pianist Corner awhile ago. We came to the conclusion that there's not an edition available compatible with our VHS players in the States. I have no idea if it's on DVD or not. As Mary Rose, said it's all based on a fabriction, one that would probably make a good movie in itself. Incidentally, the fradulant Potocka letters were largely responsible for the notion that Chopin had nothing but contempt for Lizst and contributed to the notion that he was notably antisemitic.

A link to the original thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/10039/2.html

My original summary of the fraud:

Quote:
Re Delphine/Chopin - In 1945, Pauline Czernicka, a Polish music scholar of dubious repute came up with some letters allegedly written by Chopin to Delphine Potocka. They were sexually crude and explicit and sounded completely out of character to anyone who had read Chopin's authentic letters. Delphine was a Polish society lady separated from her husband and living in Paris. Chopin was discretely reputed in the Polish exile community to have been Delphine's lover at the time he was frequenting her salon (pre George Sand). Neither of them ever denied it. They may well have been lovers, certainly they were fond of each other and good friends. Delphine was an excellent musician. Delphine eventually left Paris in an attempt to reconcile with her husband and that was the end of the affair (if there was one). Years later Delphine came and sang for Chopin on his deathbed. The majority of the letters (actually only photographed copies - the letters themselves were never produced) were later conclusively proven to be forgeries but not before they had found their way into a couple of otherwise respectable biographies. They are now floating about on the Net with no caveats attached for the unwary. Only one fragment, the only one that sounded remotely characteristic of Chopin, and with no sexual content was judged to be authentic. It was decided that Pauline Czernicka, who faded further into the woodwork with each implausible tale she told, had actually discovered some genuine but very fragmented Chopin letters and had used those pieces and a lot of trick photography to come up with the scandalous sexual bits. The actual fragments she used for her fabrications are now lost.

#1009497 - 10/30/06 09:29 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Frycek, thanks for that elucidation. I'm sorry that I repeated something that has already been discussed \:o ( I'm quite new to this forum and in future I'll do a "search" first. I only just noticed the search function! It's 2am here in the UK but I've been up with my dog who hates fireworks (it's nearly Guy Fawkes Night).

BTW I have a DVD of the film and I think it's suitable for US players - I got it from Amazon.

#1009498 - 10/30/06 09:39 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Mary Rose, please don't apologize. I certainly didn't mean to imply that we'd had enough of Delphina. In fact, this is only the second time she or those very audacious forgeries have ever come up. Everything of any import or interest gets discussed here at least a few dozen times (rather like the cycle of readings for Mass). That bit was buried in another piano movie thread, very similar to this one except different people got to contribute. Of course, there was some duplication of information but so what? Some of us are such slow subjects a bit of repetition is all to the good. Besides we owe to to Chopin to denounce those forgeries every opportunity we get (which is what I was doing.)

#1009499 - 10/31/06 12:21 AM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Ann Marie Offline

Loc: Maryland
32 Short Films about Glenn Gould.

#1009500 - 10/31/06 06:49 AM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Pedro PR Silva Offline

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
 Quote:
Originally posted by VE1PL:
Although not a central figure, a pianist figures large in The Man Who Wasn't There (2001). The movie as a movie is very good. Although the piano playing is deliberately not special, it does present the frustrating truth applicable to many piano parents (and adult beginners). Billy Bob Thornton plays the lead; I forget the actress playing the player. [/b]
That would be Scarlet Johanson playing the Adagio Cantabile from Beethoven´s Pathetique quite a few times during the movie...altough i feel no special presence from the piano part of the movie, it is a very good movie.

#1009501 - 10/31/06 07:03 AM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Frycek, I know you weren't trying to make me feel bad! It's just that, after a lifetime of not knowing ANYONE who appreciates Chopin properly, I'm still in "apologetic trying not to be a bore" mode. It's a novelty to me to actually be able to express my adoration of him amongst like-minded people, without being teased or moaned at:-)

As for the Polish woman who originated the Potocka forgeries, I tend to think she was deranged rather than evil.

There is one website that takes the forgeries seriously, along with a lot of other trumped-up "evidence" that Chopin was depraved - which is the last adjective that could be applied to him. I'll give details of that website on the "devoted to Chopin" thread as it's almost amusing, if you've not come across it already.

#1009502 - 10/31/06 08:24 AM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

And another thing, Mary Rose, you're the only one here who's actually seen the movie, Frederyk the Welshman and all. Thanks for the warning.

#1009503 - 10/31/06 09:53 AM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Is it worth my while to try to buy this movie? If only for its absurdities.

Kathleen

#1009504 - 10/31/06 10:16 AM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

"Is it worth my while to try to buy this movie?" asks Kathleen.

I suppose it would be if you are a "completist" but it really isn't enjoyable at all, and wouldn't add anything to your knowledge of Himself.

#1009505 - 11/03/06 06:05 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
A movie called 'Cloned' was just on t.v here. The plot wasn't promising...a famous concert pianist clones herself when she learns of a terminal illness.

However, it was actually quite a good movie (w/subtitles). Probably because the stars of the show were 9ft Bosendorfers - the piano(s!) featured largely.

#1009506 - 11/04/06 08:48 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Mike090280 Offline

Loc: Texas
I was wondering if anyone has heard of a movie with Richter in it as Lizst? I read a book about Richter and it has a picture of him and in the caption it says he is playing Lizst and the movie is call Glinka. Can't find it anywhere.

#1009507 - 11/04/06 09:54 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Crypto Offline

Loc: Indiana
I'm going to chime in with "The Legend of 1900" also. Good pieces throughout.

#1009508 - 11/05/06 02:41 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
JerryG Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
Did I overlook anyone mentioning The George Gershwin story starring Robert Alda? It also had Oscar Levant in it.

#1009509 - 11/05/06 09:32 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
lynn510 Offline

Loc: SE Michigan
Immortal Beloved is my fave so far, then Amadeus. The music from the Pianist was beautiful, but the rest of the movie made me nauseous.

Lynn

#1009510 - 11/05/06 10:06 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
Mine would be a tie between "The Pianist" and "The Piano". They were two very emotional movies.

flickr

#1009511 - 11/06/06 01:07 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
4000 Post Club Member

What is it about The Legend of 1900 that makes it so good? Is there a lot of playing? If all of you think it is worth seeing, I'm going to rent it from Netflix.

Kathleen

#1009512 - 11/06/06 01:14 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
What is it about The Legend of 1900 that makes it so good? Is there a lot of playing? If all of you think it is worth seeing, I'm going to rent it from Netflix.

Kathleen [/b]
It's the piano duel between the protagonist and Jelly Roll Morton. It will make you sweat.

#1009513 - 11/07/06 10:23 AM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
JerryG Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
How about The Fabulous Baker Boys. Although, not a great movie, it did show some of the problems in working as a pianist.

#1009514 - 11/07/06 10:53 AM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Balladeer Offline

Hi Kathleen -

Quote:
What is it about The Legend of 1900 that makes it so good
... that's easy - Ennio Morricone!

Balladeer

#1009515 - 11/09/06 04:50 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Jay Hieb Offline

Loc: Rapid City South Dakota
Jet Li "Unleashed"

A bit of a fight club movie, but I liked Mogan Freeman's role as a blind piano tuner.

#1009516 - 11/13/06 03:38 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Bachrocks Offline

Loc: New England
 Quote:
Originally posted by JerryG:
Did I overlook anyone mentioning The George Gershwin story starring Robert Alda? It also had Oscar Levant in it. [/b]
No, I was just looking for that one myself to see if anyone had mentioned it, and we're the first.

Another one nobody mentioned is "The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T." Just as well -- I have tried to watch that movie several times when it has been on TV, and I have never been able to stay awake for the whole thing. I end up falling asleep.

#1009517 - 11/18/06 01:10 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
4000 Post Club Member

Balladeer:

Although I've never heard of Ennio Morricone, I did order the movie.

If it isn't good, I am going to find out where you live and haunt you with Lawrence Welk music. \:D

As anyone here ever seen "The World of Henry Orient" starring Peter Sellers? Not much music in it, but Sellers plays a bumbling, narcissistic concert pianist who considers himself quite a ladies man. Two teenage girls, having a crush on him, stalk him mercilessly between buildings and under beds.

Sellers was one of the all-time great comic actors, and he just is so perfect in this movie.

Kathleen

#1009518 - 11/18/06 09:30 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ennio Morricone ..Clint Eastwood Spagetti Westerns
Fistful of Dollars, For A few Dollars More, Good Bad An The Ugly...

#1009519 - 11/19/06 01:24 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Patty39 Offline

Loc: Germany, near Cologne
Sorry, I just jumped to the end of this endless thread because yesterday when I went to bed it occurred to me that I had indeed seen a Piano movie when I thought I hadn't - it is Ray Charles. This movie is just fantastic, and the bonus material on my DVD showed how it was made when Ray Charles was still alive, he actually tought the actor (brilliant, deserved his oscar triple and quadruple) how he played (and the actor is an accomplished pianist). Really worth while! (and sorry if it was mentioned before, but I just did not have the time to read the entire thread.

Patty

#1009520 - 11/19/06 02:01 PM Re: What is your favorite piano movie?
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

One of my favourite films which heavily features a piano, albeit including lots of other instruments, is Buena Vista Social Club. To see the ancient fingers of Ruben Gonzales come out of retirement and overcome their rheumatism to produce exciting, rhythmic music is a joy.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Just Tuned a 1960's Kranich and Bach Studio upright
by Paul678
Today at 09:18 PM
How to learn everything and anything about piano?
by MrMusicianship
Today at 07:22 PM
is my piano tunable
by d3c0
Today at 05:45 PM
SSHD running VST
by daz100
Today at 05:01 PM
do you recommend further service?
by ShannonG
Today at 04:34 PM
Forum Stats
77398 Members
42 Forums
160070 Topics
2350692 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission