2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,452 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
That was surreal Eternal!! Is there a list anyone could compile please, of those fab movies which contain piano and / or anything to do with piano? I have just bought Amadeus from my local shop, and am so looking forward to watching it. Some of the others mentioned, I cannot find, eg Con Amore, Fantasia (unless you mean 'Disney' ugh), and Madame Sousatzka, please advise. Thanks, Shey

Adult returner
Practising Mindfulness Piano

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Eternal:
Here's my favorite piano movie :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91xsLS3us-0
Well, that's one way to get rid of those unwanted piano-shaped objects we hear tale of in these forums. smile

That clip also reminded me of a truly classic piano movie: Laurel and Hardy's Oscar-winning The Music Box . (I should say that the movie is certainly not famous for how anyone played the piano in it, LOL.) There's a clip on the "Film Clips" page at that site.

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]
Amadeus was fabulous! I loved it. I am so looking forward to getting other piano movies for Christmas. Thanks to this thread I have a list now! Shey

Adult returner
Practising Mindfulness Piano

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I’ve just remembered a really dire film about Chopin called “The Mystery of Chopin – the Strange Case of Delphina Potocka” (1999). Has anyone else seen this? Its credentials are quite good – the director is Tony Palmer and the lead actors are Paul Rhys and Penelope Wilton. There’s also a young Russian pianist called Valentina Igoshina. But it is truly dreadful. Paul Rhys looks wrong, has a Welsh accent and portrays Chopin unconvincingly. In fact the whole story is based on a fabrication and apart (of course) from the music it is ghastly. Be warned!

I am wondering if there is any other composer who has had so many films made about him.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I’ve just remembered a really dire film about Chopin called “The Mystery of Chopin – the Strange Case of Delphina Potocka” (1999). Has anyone else seen this? Its credentials are quite good – the director is Tony Palmer and the lead actors are Paul Rhys and Penelope Wilton. There’s also a young Russian pianist called Valentina Igoshina. But it is truly dreadful. Paul Rhys looks wrong, has a Welsh accent and portrays Chopin unconvincingly. In fact the whole story is based on a fabrication and apart (of course) from the music it is ghastly. Be warned!

I am wondering if there is any other composer who has had so many films made about him.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
We had a discussion of “The Mystery of Chopin – the Strange Case of Delphina Potocka” on the Pianist Corner awhile ago. We came to the conclusion that there's not an edition available compatible with our VHS players in the States. I have no idea if it's on DVD or not. As Mary Rose, said it's all based on a fabriction, one that would probably make a good movie in itself. Incidentally, the fradulant Potocka letters were largely responsible for the notion that Chopin had nothing but contempt for Lizst and contributed to the notion that he was notably antisemitic.

A link to the original thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/10039/2.html

My original summary of the fraud:

Re Delphine/Chopin - In 1945, Pauline Czernicka, a Polish music scholar of dubious repute came up with some letters allegedly written by Chopin to Delphine Potocka. They were sexually crude and explicit and sounded completely out of character to anyone who had read Chopin's authentic letters. Delphine was a Polish society lady separated from her husband and living in Paris. Chopin was discretely reputed in the Polish exile community to have been Delphine's lover at the time he was frequenting her salon (pre George Sand). Neither of them ever denied it. They may well have been lovers, certainly they were fond of each other and good friends. Delphine was an excellent musician. Delphine eventually left Paris in an attempt to reconcile with her husband and that was the end of the affair (if there was one). Years later Delphine came and sang for Chopin on his deathbed. The majority of the letters (actually only photographed copies - the letters themselves were never produced) were later conclusively proven to be forgeries but not before they had found their way into a couple of otherwise respectable biographies. They are now floating about on the Net with no caveats attached for the unwary. Only one fragment, the only one that sounded remotely characteristic of Chopin, and with no sexual content was judged to be authentic. It was decided that Pauline Czernicka, who faded further into the woodwork with each implausible tale she told, had actually discovered some genuine but very fragmented Chopin letters and had used those pieces and a lot of trick photography to come up with the scandalous sexual bits. The actual fragments she used for her fabrications are now lost.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Frycek, thanks for that elucidation. I'm sorry that I repeated something that has already been discussed shocked ( I'm quite new to this forum and in future I'll do a "search" first. I only just noticed the search function! It's 2am here in the UK but I've been up with my dog who hates fireworks (it's nearly Guy Fawkes Night).

BTW I have a DVD of the film and I think it's suitable for US players - I got it from Amazon.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Mary Rose, please don't apologize. I certainly didn't mean to imply that we'd had enough of Delphina. In fact, this is only the second time she or those very audacious forgeries have ever come up. Everything of any import or interest gets discussed here at least a few dozen times (rather like the cycle of readings for Mass). That bit was buried in another piano movie thread, very similar to this one except different people got to contribute. Of course, there was some duplication of information but so what? Some of us are such slow subjects a bit of repetition is all to the good. Besides we owe to to Chopin to denounce those forgeries every opportunity we get (which is what I was doing.)

[Linked Image]
A
A
32 Short Films about Glenn Gould.

P
P
Originally posted by VE1PL:
Although not a central figure, a pianist figures large in The Man Who Wasn't There (2001). The movie as a movie is very good. Although the piano playing is deliberately not special, it does present the frustrating truth applicable to many piano parents (and adult beginners). Billy Bob Thornton plays the lead; I forget the actress playing the player.
That would be Scarlet Johanson playing the Adagio Cantabile from Beethoven´s Pathetique quite a few times during the movie...altough i feel no special presence from the piano part of the movie, it is a very good movie.

...everything is everywere and does not stop...
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Frycek, I know you weren't trying to make me feel bad! It's just that, after a lifetime of not knowing ANYONE who appreciates Chopin properly, I'm still in "apologetic trying not to be a bore" mode. It's a novelty to me to actually be able to express my adoration of him amongst like-minded people, without being teased or moaned at:-)

As for the Polish woman who originated the Potocka forgeries, I tend to think she was deranged rather than evil.

There is one website that takes the forgeries seriously, along with a lot of other trumped-up "evidence" that Chopin was depraved - which is the last adjective that could be applied to him. I'll give details of that website on the "devoted to Chopin" thread as it's almost amusing, if you've not come across it already.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
And another thing, Mary Rose, you're the only one here who's actually seen the movie, Frederyk the Welshman and all. Thanks for the warning.

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Is it worth my while to try to buy this movie? If only for its absurdities.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
"Is it worth my while to try to buy this movie?" asks Kathleen.

I suppose it would be if you are a "completist" but it really isn't enjoyable at all, and wouldn't add anything to your knowledge of Himself.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A movie called 'Cloned' was just on t.v here. The plot wasn't promising...a famous concert pianist clones herself when she learns of a terminal illness.

However, it was actually quite a good movie (w/subtitles). Probably because the stars of the show were 9ft Bosendorfers - the piano(s!) featured largely.

M
M
I was wondering if anyone has heard of a movie with Richter in it as Lizst? I read a book about Richter and it has a picture of him and in the caption it says he is playing Lizst and the movie is call Glinka. Can't find it anywhere.

I'm going to chime in with "The Legend of 1900" also. Good pieces throughout.

Did I overlook anyone mentioning The George Gershwin story starring Robert Alda? It also had Oscar Levant in it.

IJGpiano
L
L
Immortal Beloved is my fave so far, then Amadeus. The music from the Pianist was beautiful, but the rest of the movie made me nauseous.

Lynn

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Mine would be a tie between "The Pianist" and "The Piano". They were two very emotional movies.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,195
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission