Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1009775 - 08/17/07 07:17 PM How to get more "picky" with my practice
joangolfing Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Iowa
I want to practice and get more out of the time I'm spending. I don't think just more time will help as much as becoming more attentive to how and what I'm doing. I have started a practice log so I can jot down how much time and which sections of the pieces I'm working on.

I know this question has been discussed here quite often. I'm looking for ideas that will help me focus and make quicker progress toward my goals. I am now getting ready for 2 piano parties in November and choosing pieces to begin spending most of my practice time refining.

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1009776 - 08/17/07 07:28 PM Re: How to get more "picky" with my practice
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
simplistically.

play thru a piece slowly, very slowly, after learning hands separately. watch your hands move from note to note if you can.. allow your wrists and arms to be fluid.

mark in pencil 2 measures in front of and in back of the difficult passages or measures.

(some writer called these 'fractiles' i think).

practice those fractiles 5 times each before playing the piece again..

pick up your speed, rinse and repeat so to say.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1009777 - 08/17/07 07:44 PM Re: How to get more "picky" with my practice
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
how to get more picky with your practise? listen to yourself very carefully when you practice, be attentive. When you make a mistake go back and correct it till it's right. That's what my teacher asks me to do at home.

#1009778 - 08/17/07 07:46 PM Re: How to get more "picky" with my practice
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Another practice tip :

Divide your piece(s) into logical sections (i.e., ending at candences) of preferably less than a page each. Alphabetize/Number the sections starting from the last section: A (or 1) to the first section: G (or 7) - or however many there may be, obviously! When practicing, occasionally work on the difficulties in section A and work back towards the beginning of the piece. That way, you'll never run into the common fault of "Well, I can play the first part pretty well, because I've practiced it a lot, but the last sections still need work because I don't get to them as often."

Regards,

#1009779 - 08/17/07 08:38 PM Re: How to get more "picky" with my practice
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
my teacher told me the other day that i should do 'smart practice' rather than just 'practice'. one thing he mentioned is 'listen to yourself', and the other is 'slow practice', and another is 'various rhythmic practice' (i.e. trying to play a passage with different rhythm variations).

so, i'm trying to do as my teacher says, but i have to be very disciplined to actually practice that way, which i usually don't though...

#1009780 - 08/17/07 09:03 PM Re: How to get more "picky" with my practice
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Practice with intention. Have a plan (one thing) that you want to be watchful in this practice on this (one)song. Don't think ahead to all that you want to accomplish on all the music. Think about the song at hand.

Chose an area to examine. Listen and think about what you are hearing. Is there a problem? What is the problem? (One thing, please.) What can you do about it to fix it? Work on fixing it right now - just the "window" of where the problem began and ended. Continue in this song, or be satisfied that one thing was accomplished here. Note it in your notebook for next time you practice this.

Same idea in next song or several songs. You don't want to be entertaining several problems at once - you will overload and confuse your brain - it will store faulty info. One pertinent thought simply said will produce results. Such as: "PRACTICE AREA: Measure 3-4 RH legato, LH staccato. Train hands slowly. Do hands alone first. Listen to results. Continue daily until improved. Don't overdo by too much practicing, it just might take more time until I hear results. Be patient."

Don't play the whole song through if you really need to work on the first 10 measures first. Look for weak or insecure spots. Identify the problems. Problems can be:
Inaccurate notes
Fingering
Note Value Counting
Hands Together Coordination problems.
Keeping a steady beat.
Dynamics - crescendos/dimuendos
Touch - Staccato, Accents, Legato
Pedaling
Etc....

What's the problem you are encountering most often? If you look for where these problems are located in the music you are playing, you have the possibility of correcting the problem.

If you just play through and have no intention of making improvements, you are not really practicing. Practicing has some element of examining your output with it.

If you can keep a mistake from happening you are way ahead of the game. That is why slow thinking and slow practicing is encouraged until you become very proficient - which will never happen if you don't do the serious examination and have a plan and a method to your practice and all playing at the piano.

It's our intentions that get results, moreso than our hindsight.

#1009781 - 08/17/07 09:16 PM Re: How to get more "picky" with my practice
joangolfing Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for these excellent ideas.

Discipline is the key isn't it. I'm going to jot down each of these ideas on my practice log.
1.Very Slow practice-- watch your hands move--wrists and arms fluid
2. Fractiles--practice 2 meas. before and after difficult sections--5 times each
3.Divide each piece into sections. Alphabetize starting with the last section labeled A--with the first section having a higher letter.
4. Listen to yourself, slow practice, and various rhythmic practices.

#1009782 - 08/17/07 09:21 PM Re: How to get more "picky" with my practice
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
I'm reading the book "The Perfect Wrong Note." It verbalizes so many things that I have felt over the years. I highly recommend it as an aid to thinking about how to practice.

Check out my blog !

#1009783 - 08/17/07 09:22 PM Re: How to get more "picky" with my practice
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Manassas,Va
Betty, Thank you for your recent post. I always look forward to your posts. I need help with practice too. Back to classical piano after 40 years away.It is hard going back and very slow. Times have changed and new methods... I appreciate your input so much. Thank you again. You and Monica are so caring and helpful. You are both shining stars with your excellent professional guiding lights answering our questions. We are so blessed to have you both. Thank you and feeling very grateful... Sandy B

#1009784 - 08/17/07 09:23 PM Re: How to get more "picky" with my practice
joangolfing Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, Betty

This is so valuable to read your description of focusing on one piece and one specific problem within that piece. I know I have been looking at the entire piece and all the elements I want to improve in it, instead of narrowing my focus.

#1009785 - 08/17/07 10:08 PM Re: How to get more "picky" with my practice
AJB Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, England
A key tool to improving your playing.

Record yourself.

Then really listen.
Again and again.

Then listen again, with the score and focus on the dynamics, noting what you should be doing compared with what you are doing.

And listen to your rythmn and timing. Chances are it will need work.

Then dissasemble the piece (or section thereof) and and improve your technique with deliberate changes.

Do this on one or two pieces that you think you play well, and suddenly, becoming your audience, you will focus on the MUSIC and you will improve your playing rapidly.

#1009786 - 08/17/07 11:07 PM Re: How to get more "picky" with my practice
dfpolitowski Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Use a cooking timer. Like I do.

When I start a piece, I set the time accordingly, If I know the piece somewhat I usually set he timer for 35 minutes. When the timer goes off I usually begin something else. Now the timers only good for an hour
So with this method I practice three times daily. The timer's greatest help is to keep me seated working at the piano. As a rule I keep working on that piece until the timer goes off. Often times I practice over this time but never before the buzzer.

#1009787 - 08/18/07 07:40 AM Re: How to get more "picky" with my practice
Playmisty4me Offline

Loc: Ozarks
My teacher just this week talked to me about learning the music in your head by "practicing" without the piano. Reading the music and even doing the fingering, or even just going over the music silently (like when riding in a car). She said she started doing this in college when she could only get a practice room for an hour at a time. This puts the music in your brain as well as in your muscle memory. Intriging idea that I am going to try - hoping it will improve memorization (which is very difficult for me).

She also agrees with other posts about breaking pieces into sections, using different rythmns (especially in Barouque pieces), playing only the part of a piece that is giving you trouble for a few days, etc. I, too, am trying to learn how to practice more effectively!

#1009788 - 08/18/07 09:14 AM Re: How to get more "picky" with my practice
ZeroZero Offline

Loc: UK
I was watching a Daniel Barenboin (spelling?) master class, he said "touch and articulation is everything" and then played a little phrase with esquisite sensitivity. I try to make sure that every note I play is put there with purpose and musicality - this builds, practising without bothering about this (intellectually jetisoning thinking about it) builds poor performance

Anyways that's my contribution here

Zero

#1009789 - 08/18/07 01:43 PM Re: How to get more "picky" with my practice
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
AJB gives some good points, rhythm and timing especially, and unfortunately on my weakness list.

#1009790 - 08/19/07 11:17 PM Re: How to get more "picky" with my practice
joangolfing Offline
500 Post Club Member

Progress getting "picky".
------------------------------
I've had to have real patience with this new method of practice. After a very slow start and many minutes focused on just a few measures without seeming to have any improvement, I now feel some growth happening. Getting through the first few hours without any sign of anything happening was difficult. I now can go on past that and make some ---slow progress.

I lettered sections of all 4 of my pieces from G through A. With A being the last few measures of every piece. Then using Betty's ideas: "That is why slow thinking and slow practicing is encouraged until you become very proficient - which will never happen if you don't do the serious examination and have a plan and a method to your practice and all playing at the piano. "

And her thoughts on focusing: "just the "window" of where the problem began and ended"---has proved very important for me.

So thanks again everyone for comments in this thread.

#1009791 - 08/20/07 04:44 AM Re: How to get more "picky" with my practice
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I recently posted a thread about a great book which I refer to several times a week for some ideas and motivation. It has really helped me think of practicing in an entertaining way via it's format, illustrations and humor. It may possibly help you too.

Practiceopedia

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
84 registered (bennevis, adultpianist, Atrys, AZNpiano, 16 invisible), 1150 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250102 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
Today at 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission