Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1009792 - 12/13/04 05:17 PM Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
Has anyone decided what piece they really, *really* want to work up to by the end of next year?

Today I was listening to various Chopin pieces and some other classical music in the car, and I have decided that I just plain *have* to learn this piece next year:

Classical Music Archives

Chopin Walz in E flat, Op. 18. I think this is the single coolest intermediate piece Chopin ever wrote, and that's saying something.

So it's settled then. I'm going on record. You can take it to the bank!

If anyone's game, we can check this thread on New Years' Eve 2005, bubbly at the ready, and toast everyone who makes their goal.

Anyone?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1009793 - 12/13/04 05:46 PM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
I *will* have Fur Elise down pat by then. \:D Oh, you mean a piece we haven't started yet...

As for pieces that I haven't begun, I don't have a clue. I'm taking things one achievement at a time. Hopefully my skills will be vastly improved by the end of next year.

#1009794 - 12/14/04 04:51 AM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
Vintagefingers Offline

Loc: SE
Well, the original goal (dream as it is turning out) was to be playing the Andante movement to Mozart's 20th piano concerto (K466) I don't think this is close to being a realistic goal unless I practice 6-8 hours a day from now till then and that ain't going to happen. I am working on Clemente's Sonatina in G major right now, just started a few days ago and expect to have it completed, except for the dynamic shadings, in about 2 weeks. It is a lovely piece and is in "The Piano Handbook".
A year from now I want to have Chopin's Nocturne in E flat nailed down. I have been working on the right hand and am diligently practicing left hand arpeggios and chord inversions in different keys. This is my major glaring weakness, the left hand flow and transition. My teacher has indicated to me that this is a very realistic goal, he smiled when I told him about the Mozart concerto but that was several months ago. ;\)

#1009795 - 12/14/04 06:16 AM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
mound Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
I'm thinking about beginning the Beethoven Sonata No. 27, Op. 90.. Probably wouldn't be performance ready in one year though. depends on how much other new stuff I want to tackle at the same time

#1009796 - 12/14/04 06:26 AM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tillamook, Oregon
My goal is to be able to play Scarlatti Sonata K32 in re minore-Aria.

#1009797 - 12/14/04 07:31 AM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
by the end of next year, i should be able to at least finish the following:

Bach prelude and fugue no.2, WTC1
Beethoven Tempest 3rd movement
Beethoven sonata op.49,1 (all movements, part of relearning)
Beethoven sonata op.79 (all movements, part of relearning)
plus some Chopin pieces (prelude/easy etude,etc.)

#1009798 - 12/14/04 08:26 AM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
jdsher Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Plano, Texas
Jerry I'm playing that Scarlatti right now. It's really fun. I especially like the trills. My teacher added to my sheet music some mortunds(sp?) and extra trills just as ornamentation. She played it for me on her harpsichord and it sounded so cool.
My goal is to play the second movement of Beethoven's Pathetique. I don't think this is possible, but hope is a magic word.
Jon

#1009799 - 12/14/04 12:04 PM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

jdsher-

My sheet music only shows K32 to be 24 measures. Am I missing some? The recording I have of it appears to have more than that. It sounds like the pianist repeats the measures, going a note or two lower each time? Also, the notes on the bass clef are squares. I've never seen that before. What do they mean? Here is the music I have:

Scarlatti K32 (compliments of iamcanadian in the Pianists forum)

#1009800 - 12/14/04 12:10 PM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

as to Scarlatti K32, people usually repeat both 1st and 2nd parts from double bar, which makes it sound longer.

#1009801 - 12/14/04 12:29 PM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
Cindysphinx Offline

You go, Jerry!

You do realize that there are some actual *chords* in that piece? \:\)

Mound and Signa, you inspire me. :jaw drops:

Chopin Nocturn, eh? I don't know that one. Must go find midi . . .

Cindy -- who hasn't seen the actual sheet music for that Chopin waltz of hers and who may have to change her goal once she does

#1009802 - 12/14/04 12:34 PM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
mound Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

[/b]
I haven't done anything yet ;\)

Quote:

Chopin Nocturn, eh? I don't know that one. Must go find midi . . .
[/b]
"Chopin Nocturn" isn't a single piece.. There are several Nocturnes (the number escapes me at the moment.) I hope to eventually learn them all.

Look here for some MIDI stuff:
http://www.chopinfiles.com/nocturnes.html

-Paul

#1009803 - 12/14/04 01:20 PM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
Vintagefingers Offline

Loc: SE
Well then I'll hum it for you - da daaaaaa da da daa da..da daaaaa da dAAAAAA da daaaaaa da; da daaaaa (trill) da, da daaaa da, da dA da da da da da da da daaaaa.

Got it now Cindy?

The Nocturne I'm speaking of is Opus 9 no 2 which is downloadable from the link provided by Mound.

See if you can download the sheet music from one of the following links. The second link doesn't work all the time. You may have to go to the home page here http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net

http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/single_listing.cfm?composer_id=4

#1009804 - 12/14/04 01:53 PM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

[/b]
oh, please Cindy, spare me!

some pieces i put are what i have already learned (op.49 1st mvmt and op79 2nd mvmt) or what i am currently learning, such as Tempest 3rd mvmt (through 3rd page and 7 more to go), Bach prelude no.2 (half way through). so, actually what left to be learned is not as much as it looks. i don't think i am too ambitious for next year really.

#1009805 - 12/14/04 02:34 PM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
jdsher Offline
500 Post Club Member

Jerry Signa is right, you repeat at measure 8 and at the end. I asked my teacher about the square bass notes and she said it's just the way the happened to print it, no secret meaning.. ;\)
Jon

#1009806 - 12/14/04 04:01 PM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Cindy-

That's why I've given myself until Dec 21, 2005. I'll need every minute until then. ;\)

signa-

Thanks for info on the repeat(s).

jdher-

Thanks for checking into the square notes for me on the bass clef. (I can't believe that I spelled it BASE clef on my original post I have edited that post to avoid further embarrassment.) :rolleyes:

#1009807 - 12/14/04 06:38 PM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Jerry, the diamond (or square) notes merely indicate that they are to be played with the left hand. It's a fairly easy piece and if you can play the Mexican Hat Dance, then you can learn this guy in about a week or two at the most.

The hard part is getting the chords in your fingers, but a few days of just playing the chords, from one to the other will do that quite nicely.

#1009808 - 12/14/04 09:09 PM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
WCSMinorCircuit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
on december 31, 2005 I want to be able to memorize rhapsody in blue by then (why I can't do it now is beyond me), and be able to perform all op.22 (andante spinato and grand poloniase brillante) by Chopin.

#1009809 - 12/14/04 09:32 PM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Muir:
...if you can play the Mexican Hat Dance, then you can learn this guy in about a week or two at the most.[/b]
Are you referring to 'Chiapanecas', the Mexican Hand-Clapping Song? Actually, I haven't yet completed that one. It's kind of complicated and I didn't feel that it should have been included at that particular point in the manual. I didn't feel that I had the skills required at that time. I marked it to come back to after I became more experienced. Also, I have no idea how it is supposed to sound, I couldn't figure out what sections were supposed to be repeated when, and the song basically held no interest for me. I really do intend to eventually go back and work on it until I can play it.

Oh, and thanks for the info on the diamond notes. Makes perfect sense.

#1009810 - 12/14/04 09:54 PM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
Luckychwee Offline

Loc: Singapore
Hi Jerry, saw yr songsheet "Aria" but I noticed that the first bar (chord) is D,A,D (what chord is this ?) Also can explain to me the bar no. 6 and 14 ?

How long does it take you to learn this piece from fresh beginner ?
And a prayer a day never keep our Jesus away
And let's praise our Lord, our King, our God all the way ....

#1009811 - 12/14/04 10:26 PM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I think we've hijacked this thread enough guys. I've started a new thread here concerning this piece:

Scarlatti K32 Q&A thread

Sorry Cindy. Mea culpa \:\(

#1009812 - 12/15/04 06:10 AM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Muir:
I think we've hijacked this thread enough guys.

Sorry Cindy. Mea culpa \:\( [/b]
Ditto for me, Cindy.

(Sometimes it's hard to stay on topic...)

#1009813 - 12/16/04 09:13 AM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
Cindysphinx Offline

Uh oh.

I printed out the music for that Chopin Waltz. It is *8* pages long. And really hard. And I think it is called "Grand" Waltz "Brilliante" or something. Which means it is really, really hard.

I think I must scale back a bit. Maybe I'll have a look at the music for Mozart's Turkish Rondo (can't remember the real name).

#1009814 - 12/16/04 10:04 AM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Mozart's Turkish Rondo - sonata in A, K331.

#1009815 - 12/17/04 05:49 AM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
plays88skeys Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, VA
I'd love to be able to play a Beethoven sonata in it's entirety. Picking which one, however, is the hard part!

#1009816 - 12/17/04 06:14 AM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
mound Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm preparing to start Beethoven's Sonata No. 27, Opus 90.. (two movements)

#1009817 - 12/17/04 09:17 AM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

i love Beethoven's op.90, but it is a hard piece, especially for LH. i would learn it after i get op.79 done, which would be a good preparation for op.90. btw, Beethoven's tempest op.31/2 is a great piece to play, as i am learning its 3rd movement (the easiest movement of it) now. i learned a lot on technique side by learning the tempest, and it is so much fun to play as well.

#1009818 - 12/18/04 01:10 PM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
Tweeety Offline

Loc: Virginia
Hello,
I say that some of you are more than beginners. I've been busy and haven't thought much about. I'm taking piano lessons at a community college so it will be something out of my Keith Snell "Piano Repertoire" Level 3 book. . . I see a Beethoven piece, Op. 119 No. 9 with the title "Bagatelle". A Posting described it as a Sonata. Is it a misprint in my book? To play the piece well would be good 2005 milestone for me.

Toni

#1009819 - 12/18/04 03:07 PM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
jdsher Offline
500 Post Club Member

Welcome to the forum Toni. I'm afraid I can't answer your question about the Beethoven, but someone will at some point. There is a spectrum of abilities here in the AB forum. One of the reasons we started a separate forum was we felt a little awkward asking the gifted and talented folks over on the pianist forum questions about simple things.
If you don't feel too uncomfortable about posting, I think a good topic would be for you to describe lessons through community college. Some of the members have started with a group type lesson, only to progress to private instruction.
I would be curious to know what the advantages and disadvantages are.
Jon

#1009820 - 12/18/04 03:27 PM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by winot1:
I I see a Beethoven piece, Op. 119 No. 9 with the title "Bagatelle". A Posting described it as a Sonata. Is it a misprint in my book? To play the piece well would be good 2005 milestone for me.
[/b]
no, op.119 is not a sonata, but a Bagatelle set. Beethoven wrote several such a set: op.33, op.119, and the greatest one op.126, plus some single bagatelle pieces, such as 'Fur Elise', etc.

op.119,9 is short with only 20 bars, so that i bet you could play it after a few months. i just sight read through a few bars of it, it's a lovely piece!

#1009821 - 12/19/04 08:43 AM Re: Where Do You Want To Be On Dec. 31, 2005?
Tweeety Offline

Loc: Virginia
Well, thank you for your responses and warm welcoming. I'll have no problem sharing my experiences, because I've already received a wealth of information and inspiration from this forum. Except for two months of group lessons at the store where the piano was bought, I had been carting around my Knabe for 30 years waiting for the opportunity to have the time. And now after three and a half years of lessons, I understand it has to be quality time, consistently, persistently, and, if you're an older beginner, patiently. With my high anxiety level, I had to start with private lessons at a retail store so I could easily drop out if disappointed. I'm very thankful that I had a teacher that was also teaching at the Northern Virginia Community College in Alexandria, Virginia. With so many skills, techniques, knowledge to learn, I feel I've received a competent base with minimal bad habits. We started with the Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Level 1 that was very good looking back. But now I suspect a group lesson provides the comradeship and exposure of other people's performance and practice methods that probably enhances those areas. Another important source for me is reference books . I treasure: Madeline Bruser's “The Art of Practicing” and Barbara Maris's “Making Music at the Piano” for adult students. Still, I struggle —if asked how's my piano playing, I respond, it's a lot of work, and more work. It's only my ardent love of music that I haven't given up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
102 registered (36251, Allard, Abby Pianoman, aesop, Alux, 22 invisible), 1250 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156858 Topics
2304803 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do you use a method series to teach jazz? What series?
by Maechre
14 minutes 48 seconds ago
Tuning my piano with an app
by johan d
Today at 03:14 AM
Tuning a piano
by johan d
Today at 02:14 AM
Yamaha CLP-430 or Roland RP-401?
by masterboy
Today at 01:22 AM
NY Steinway in Russia
by victor kam
Today at 12:38 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission