Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 117 of 124 < 1 2 ... 115 116 117 118 119 ... 123 124 >
Topic Options
#1628891 - 02/26/11 11:47 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: SwingCabbage]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
Originally Posted By: SwingCabbage

How do I do a search in just this thread. Say I want to search for 'fingering' or 'F#m9b5' or 'inner voicings'and I would like all posts with this word in it.
How can I do this. I can't work it out.

The PDF file can be searched. Acrobat Reader should have an ability to search. As far as this forum is concerned, probably no easy way so if you find something important, I will index it on page 1.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1629086 - 02/27/11 09:00 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
SwingCabbage Offline

Loc: Éire
Thanks Jazzwee.

#1629118 - 02/27/11 10:27 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
Interesting questions, SwingC.

I found this today:
http://www.nationaljazzworkshop.org/freestuff.php

It has a wealth of material. I'm particularly taken by the backing tracks. KISS principles - keep it simple.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1629432 - 02/27/11 05:25 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
time flies Offline

SwingCabbage, a good way to search the forum is with google advanced search. Here's an example (notice the dialogue box "search within a site or domain" - enter pianoworld.com (you can also filter by date):

google advanced search

Edited by time flies (02/27/11 05:54 PM)

#1635842 - 03/07/11 04:33 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
Legal Beagle Offline
500 Post Club Member

This thread is SOLID GOLD! A virtual paragon of demystification. I can't believe I paid it no attention for so long... saw the title many times and thought, "well, 'Autumn Leaves' isn't exactly at the top of my priority list right now." But I've finally been reading it, and WOW. Jazzwee and others, I am in your debt. I've learned more and put together more concepts just from reading through portions of this thread than from just about any other source. Bravo.

I'm certainly going to start working through this, but I need to start at the very beginning. My question, then: As I do so, can I post recordings of the early stuff, identifying where I am in the process? Or is that going to hijack the progress of the thread and be annoying to those who've been progressing through for a long time? Feel free to tell me, you won't hurt my feelings. And either way, thanks for the thread.

#1635845 - 03/07/11 04:35 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: Legal Beagle]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Legal Beagle
This thread is SOLID GOLD! A virtual paragon of demystification. I can't believe I paid it no attention for so long... saw the title many times and thought, "well, 'Autumn Leaves' isn't exactly at the top of my priority list right now." But I've finally been reading it, and WOW. Jazzwee and others, I am in your debt. I've learned more and put together more concepts just from reading through portions of this thread than from just about any other source. Bravo.

I'm certainly going to start working through this, but I need to start at the very beginning. My question, then: As I do so, can I post recordings of the early stuff, identifying where I am in the process? Or is that going to hijack the progress of the thread and be annoying to those who've been progressing through for a long time? Feel free to tell me, you won't hurt my feelings. And either way, thanks for the thread.

It's not all Autumn Leaves, is it? Post away, ask questions. I'm sure those qualified to answer will answer. It's a friendly place. smile

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1635858 - 03/07/11 04:50 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

TLT - thanks for handling the welcoming committee duties smile

It's pretty friendly LegalBeagle. There is no ongoing process now so people come and go and leave recordings at various phases of learning.

As you go through this, it's also gone beyond Autumn Leaves so post away!

Beyond just the people that actively post, the lurkers who download also are very busy downloading materials from this thread. The downloads are in the THOUSANDS.

This thread is like a separate website...

#1635956 - 03/07/11 06:51 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: Legal Beagle]
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
As I do so, can I post recordings of the early stuff, identifying where I am in the process? Or is that going to hijack the progress of the thread and be annoying to those who've been progressing through for a long time? Feel free to tell me, you won't hurt my feelings. And either way, thanks for the thread.

Welcome, and post away. Jazz is a continuing learning process.
It also quite fun!

I never play anything the same way once.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisb/sets
https://www.youtube.com/user/djboing/videos

#1636612 - 03/08/11 01:26 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: ten left thumbs]
SwingCabbage Offline

Originally Posted By: ten left thumbs
Interesting questions, SwingC.

I found this today:
http://www.nationaljazzworkshop.org/freestuff.php

It has a wealth of material. I'm particularly taken by the backing tracks. KISS principles - keep it simple.

Had a look at that site TLT
Vgood stuff. I have bookmarked it and will return some day.
thanks
SC

#1636636 - 03/08/11 01:46 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: Legal Beagle]
SwingCabbage Offline

This thread is SOLID GOLD!

Hi Legal Beagle and a big Welcome.
You are bang on with your observation. Bars and Bars of solid gold.

I am only here a scant few months and the folks are fantastic. Maximum feedback. My advice is to post up your attempts at the different lessons straight away. Practice more based on the advice recieved. Improve or not as the case may be (regression will be also pointed out so it is good that you say "you won't hurt my feelings" . Listen to the new advice. Practice again. And then back to practice. Then put up your new attempt.

The thread is long. I am currently reading at page 76 having first posted about page 100.
If you want a tip on reading such a lengthy thread first look at each lesson on page 1. Then scann for places where JAzzwee has posted and then go back to the question / recording that
he is commenting on.

this will get you to the end quicker. then over the next few months you could read the whole thread again.
and again
and again.
Sometimes you dont see the Gold the first time.

Most of all. post up your practice attempts, warts and all. We all learn from them.

Enjoy the trip

Swing Cabbage

#1636640 - 03/08/11 01:49 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: time flies]
SwingCabbage Offline

Originally Posted By: time flies
SwingCabbage, a good way to search the forum is with google advanced search. Here's an example (notice the dialogue box "search within a site or domain" - enter pianoworld.com (you can also filter by date):

google advanced search

I will try it this way. Thanks Time Flies

#1636744 - 03/08/11 03:39 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
Legal Beagle Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, all. I'll hopefully get some recordings posted in the next couple of days. My pledge for lent, rather than giving something up, is to practice every single day until Easter, so the timing to start something like this couldn't be better.

And yes, SC, I'm slogging through reading the thread... slowly... thanks for the tips.

#1638816 - 03/11/11 12:04 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
Legal Beagle Offline
500 Post Club Member

Rats. I got to practice this a bit last night and wanted to record my (poor) efforts, only to find I'd left my recorder charging in my office. frown

Double-rats: I can already see this is going to take over my life. eek

#1640619 - 03/14/11 10:06 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: Legal Beagle]
Legal Beagle Offline
500 Post Club Member

OK, here we go... my first upload ever on PW.

Here's my first effort at AL, using all 1/7's...

Autumn Leaves

Sorry for the somewhat distorted recording.. the only thing that's lower quality than my recorder is my playing laugh

#1640661 - 03/14/11 11:19 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: Legal Beagle]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

OK, here we go... my first upload ever on PW.

Here's my first effort at AL, using all 1/7's...

Autumn Leaves

Sorry for the somewhat distorted recording.. the only thing that's lower quality than my recorder is my playing laugh

Well done for recording! smile That sounded confident.

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

#1640819 - 03/14/11 03:05 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Nice job LegalBeagle! Time is solid and quarter notes are detached. The eighth notes should be legato though. TLT is right, there's a confidence here that shows. No hesitation at all.

In general, learn to lighten up on the LH. It should a supporting role, not the main player.

Fantastic. Great work!

#1640830 - 03/14/11 03:16 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
Legal Beagle Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the quick and excellent feedback. I think the recording issue makes the LH sound even heavier than it is, but I also think you're right... I would definitely benefit from tipping the balance more toward the RH and lightening up. Seems pretty "klunky," and a more refined sound would be nice. smile

#1640835 - 03/14/11 03:22 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Although the volume could be a "recording" issue, the tonal characteristics are clearly apparent on the LH chords and suggests the dynamics. My teacher suggests Chopin Em Prelude as a good piece to control LH chords. smile

Still, quite a good job here.

#1640900 - 03/14/11 04:45 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
Legal Beagle Offline
500 Post Club Member

Just downloaded Em Prelude... looks perfectly suited to the task, thanks. Also handy that it's in the same key as AL!

#1640903 - 03/14/11 04:52 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
SwingCabbage Offline

Excellent Legal Beagle. Excellent.
Keep posting

#1640912 - 03/14/11 05:04 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
SwingCabbage Offline

Quick update
Was away for two weeks.
I have got to end of thread. At last. Lots of gems.

Knotty
I understand your 4 notes accent first. Discussion was in thread just before I posted so didn't have context. I do now. Thanks

Had three nights practice since back. Two nights focused in 1,7 LH and 3,5 RH. I have it now. As Jazzwee says this is nb for solo. Tomorow I will add chord tones to solo practice.

I have set task to post before paddies day so thatidbe Wednesday.

Jazzwee
Most excellent thread. Most excellent. It was great to see some of the earlier posters coming back into the madness. Also good to see Blues rearing it's head towards the end. I'll have a go at that in a few months. Maybe.

Gonna keep at the scales as well.

SC

Edited by SwingCabbage (03/14/11 05:06 PM)

#1641050 - 03/14/11 08:24 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
Cee Offline

Loc: Timisoara, Romania
I'd love to take a swing at Autumn Leaves. I was never big on playing standards and like my other fellow forum member do not wish to 'hijack' the thread in any way, I'd just like some feedback on my playing...

If you guys accept I will post a recording tomorrow...

#1641218 - 03/15/11 02:48 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

You're welcome to post music anytime Cee. But note that Autumn Leaves is just a platform to learning jazz. So feel free to go beyond that smile

#1641330 - 03/15/11 09:04 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
Cee Offline

I took a stab at Autumn Leaves smile

I'm still getting used to this new piano, I really haven't had sound a good sounding piano ever and the keys have a really different feel I need to get adjusted to.

But enough excuses, here's the recording:

http://cl.ly/3c0I2Y1f2u0H243K123J

edit: I also had a go on All The Things You Are, haven't played this one in quite some time:

http://cl.ly/1Q030j122F3s1Q3M3f0N

Edited by Cee (03/15/11 10:51 AM)

#1641392 - 03/15/11 11:05 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: Cee]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Nice Cee, swinging !. Only have time to listen to AL. You got into some nice rhythmic things too.

#1641397 - 03/15/11 11:13 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Cee, that's excellent swinging and so tasteful! Join us in the other thread (Advanced). You're in the wrong area. LOL.

You're going to intimidate the beginners here smile I really love how you build up your solos. Very musical.

#1641409 - 03/15/11 11:26 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Cee,

Man, I got intrigued and checked it out. That recording sounded terrific. Playing with Aebersold like that is no easy task.

Can I ask what the setup is? That's one of the best sounding recording I've ever heard outside of CDs. It really sounds like the 3 of you got in the studio and got it down.

Do you play mostly locally or do you travel?

Fuarte frumoasa!

#1641448 - 03/15/11 12:02 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: knotty]
Cee Offline

@ jazzwee: haha, I ain't no "advanced" nothing. But thanks for the kind words.

@ knotty: Thanks man. I love playing with Aebersold, haven't done it in a while and since stumbling upon this great forum and thread, I thought I'd give it another go.

The setup is pretty basic: brand new Nord Piano 88 (Steinway Model D piano patch) + stereo cables into my Macbook Pro's line-in jack. Garageband fired up with the Aebersold, headphones on, record and play smile

I work with Princess Cruises as a show band pianist once in a while and when I'm home I have a band, we play my original stuff, but not swinging standards...

That's why I'm not an advanced Jazz player, jazzwee smile

Edited by Cee (03/15/11 12:04 PM)

#1641457 - 03/15/11 12:13 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
jazzwee Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Well Cee, you've got the groove man so that automatically puts you in the super-advanced category. smile

Seriously though, the more experienced players (we all have our faults) work in stuff in the advanced thread next door. No, we are not jazz masters. That's an "exclusion" for the thread, though Dave Frank (Walking Bass master) stops by and says hi.

You can try "Very Early" next...(over there).

#1641466 - 03/15/11 12:29 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc. [Re: jazzwee]
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Dang! I couldn't hear the recording. However, I'm intimidated already judging by the comments....

laugh

www.justfingers.co.uk
www.babysinging.co.uk

Page 117 of 124 < 1 2 ... 115 116 117 118 119 ... 123 124 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
160 registered (Abby Pianoman, ajames, accordeur, Almaviva, Allan W., 51 invisible), 1464 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75984 Members
42 Forums
157142 Topics
2307828 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to practice a fast piece for amateur competitions
by RonaldSteinway
08/29/14 11:56 AM
Cromatic lead in Elton John song
by Visalia
08/29/14 11:56 AM
Chopin experts: this is driving me nuts
by riley80
08/29/14 09:40 AM
At Last - My VPC1 is Ordered!
by EmptySpace
08/29/14 09:32 AM
Pin block not contacting plate flange
by Bob
08/29/14 08:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission