2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 124 of 187 1 2 122 123 124 125 126 186 187
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
What a nice touch, Glen. That sounded really great! And your lines are really interesting. How can I have influence on you? Obviously you've been playing longer than I have smile Quick fingers too.

Get that metronome out and you'll be fantastic and you'll just have to tell us where your next gig is!

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Jazzwee,
Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated!

You speak knowledgeably regarding phrasing, lines, bars etc. I don't have that in my vocabulary, so your opinion matters - as I have lots to learn.

If you have the time, check this link and let me know your thoughts.

Last Night's Practice Session

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Glen, you seem to have mastered playing the slow tunes and it seems I have a lot to learn from you too. Perhaps you can talk about your voicing strategy for these tunes. I'm just wondering if it's the same as what I talk about above.

Also you are really good at mixing in those 16th note solos in the ballads. What's your source for your vocabulary? It sounds blues influenced (from listening to some of the Practice sessions).

I don't have a vocabulary source specifically myself. I've tended to just play intervals until I've sort of figured out what sounds good. And then after awhile my ears just took over. If I listen to someone long enough, I tend to hear the patterns in my head.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
You talk about Teacher's influence Glen. In my case, it's a lot of that influence. My current teacher is a Modern Jazz artist and I probably skew along those lines. In the early stages, it's been more focused on mid-tempo stuff until my technique picked up and we began working on uptempo stylings. Stylistically, he doesn't allow me to play ballads rubato. Always tied to a fixed beat however slow. As I've played faster, and slower (both extremes), he has stressed the metronome more and more. Probably more so than ever.

His attitude is that the masters differentiate themselves by their time mastery and he's very critical of any time deviation. As you can imagine, that's pretty tough and I certainly have not perfected that.

One of the reasons he says space is essential (and I often forget this), is that the space also allows you to resynchronize the time. But as you know when you're playing solo piano, it's difficult to get a rhythm section right there. So I often have to practice on a keyboard for rhythmic things.

BTW - I'm amazed at your collection of tunes. I don't have that collection. Since my study is more pedagogic at this moment, I've focused on difficult tunes but not that many. When I've overcome the technical hurdles, only then can I focus on expanding my Set List.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

btw, is there a way to slow down a youtube video to half speed? what's the best way to do that?

There are ways to extract audio from a youtube video. I use a tool called ffmpeg

http://www.catonmat.net/blog/how-to-extract-audio-tracks-from-youtube-videos/

To download the youtube video, there are tons of add-ons for firefox. Just search for youtube.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Knotty, but to import into Transcribe, it would have to be WAV. How can you do that?

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You can open mp3 in Transcribe. I think the audio in youtube is always mp3, so it's pretty straightforward.
Try it on these MacPartland video. This way you can listen to them in your mp3 player.

D
D
Originally Posted by knotty

btw, is there a way to slow down a youtube video to half speed? what's the best way to do that?

There are ways to extract audio from a youtube video. I use a tool called ffmpeg

http://www.catonmat.net/blog/how-to-extract-audio-tracks-from-youtube-videos/

To download the youtube video, there are tons of add-ons for firefox. Just search for youtube.

hey thanks a lot!

Last edited by dave solazzo; 11/13/09 12:43 AM.
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Dave, I was just hoping you're one of those guys with perfect pitch and can repeat everything after hearing it once at full speed smile

My Jazz Blog

D
D
laugh i wish.

Last edited by dave solazzo; 11/16/09 05:36 AM.
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I'm posting my Nov ABF recital piece in this thread for posterity.

Autumn Leaves - I call this rhythmic play because I'm doing something different here, playing with rhythms including overlaying 3/4 meter against a 4/4 meter. It's experimental and although I took the idea from Brad Mehldau, I think I've implemented it differently. If I did it again, I probably wouldn't or couldn't repeat it in this style. This is one take. Rather fast. Plenty of faults, not the least of which is the lack of space.

http://www.box.net/shared/h1idgknmzt

I've received some private comments on this calling it 'Modern'. No doubt that I'm influenced by a new kind of Jazz so I'm not necessarily copying the traditional. I'm finding ways of capturing a swing feel without relying necessarily on a swing articulation. I'm just on the beginnings of my quest here but I'm expecting that I will make even further changes stylistically sometime soon.

I should note that when my teacher heard this, he said I should use a metronome smile

My Jazz Blog

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by jazzwee

I should note that when my teacher heard this, he said I should use a metronome smile

Teachers are good at that! smile

Sounds great! 3hearts Sometimes I wish I could say something a bit more intelligent, but my mind wanders when I listen to jazz...

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
A nice history of Bill Evans - Interview of his Producer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ScsGolkWI

My Jazz Blog

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Here's a few tunes for your comments/suggestions. I got stuck experimenting on "Blue Grey" and could not decide which one to post up.

Hope you like 'em.

Glen

All The Things You Are

Some Day My Prince Will Come

That's All

Blue Grey

Blue-Grey

Not So...Blues

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
You've been so busy Glen!

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hey Glen, started listening to your stuff. Piano sounds great. You really know how to bring out such a nice tone. You need to discipline yourself though to really count out each bar since the number of bars on each is pretty variable. I'm not even talking about Rubato here. It's the actual beats. It's a bit of a bad habit you got into there my friend. I hope it doesn't take too much time to undo.

When I do that and begin to wander, my teacher would stop me immediately and not let me solo and make sure I have the form straight in my head. And it makes sense since you cannot make the solo fit the form if the form itself is wavering.

BTW - is that a Steinway? Piano really has a lovely sound and you record it really well.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Glen, you really have very nice articulation on that Blues solo. I liked your touch on that a lot!

Have you tried playing against a drum track? This is a nice good source at different tempos. It's a live drummer and he really alters the drums to the tempo. It really keeps you in the form because the pattern tells you where you are.

http://www.paulcarman.com/store/home.php

Getting good time is hard as heck. I'm mediocre at best. But I'm really working hard at it.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
When I listen to Chick Corea and Hiromi, I'm amazed at their time and how in synch they are. Just from an internal body clock. No rhythm section here. When they play the head of Spain at the end it was so precise it was mind boggling!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRU1o-sCnqY

My Jazz Blog

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I've been following this thread for a little while now. Two weeks ago my piano teacher started me on learning jazz.

One of the lead sheets he has me working on is All the Things You Are. I'm just playing the chords in the LH and one note melody in the RH. It feels somewhat empty to me at this point. I do know my chords. (maybe not adding 11ths, 13ths yet) laugh What I really need to know, or work on, is putting more in the RH, but I feel stuck. I really don't know how to go about this.

I'm OK with inversions, adding 9ths, 6ths, and whatever sounds good in the LH. But I guess I just need some advice on how to proceed.

Maybe this should be another thread altogether, but thought I'd start here with the pros. Any advice would make my day! Thanks in advance! smile

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
CMohr, this is the perfect place to ask this question and I will get back to you. I was just about to post something and I will be leaving so I'll get to your question a little later.

My Jazz Blog

Page 124 of 187 1 2 122 123 124 125 126 186 187

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission