2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Colin Miles, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 187 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 186 187
G
G
Originally posted by jazzwee:
BTW - I've invited some jazz pros to read our posts and so they are out there lurking and giving us the Thumbs up thumb

ganymed, welcome! Are you a pro jazzer? And thanks for answering part of that question.
First of all I want to say that im very grateful for this thread!

Hey jazzwee. Im 19 and started piano playing 2 years ago. Before I played flute for 8 years

So I am a bloody beginner with classical -
and jazzpiano of course too !! Recently i discovered it for myself and I began to love it! But learning it is not as simple as that T_T.
It is a science frown

In order to learn more about Jazz i visit a Jazz Composition course to learn something about the theory at least. But I dont know how to improvise at all!! I'd love to take jazz piano lessons but my the tuition for my classical teacher is all I can afford. So I am accepting the challenge of becoming self-taught.

Im familiar with classical harmony. But when it comes to analyzing a Bach fugue i call it a day. haha. As for jazz, i can play most chords of the lead sheets and play em rather quickly. I learned the inversions of the triads too
I can play all minor and major scales. Thats about it. So you see that i havent got the slightest idea of jazz XD!

Im looking forward towards your next advices smile .
Do you use any books to learn jazz piano from ?

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
jazzprof, I occasionally added a note on my right hand below the melody out of habit. But my LH was playing purely 1/7's.

I wish I could play it better but I'm having to struggle to just like the rest of us here. Just don't ask me to give you advanced jazz technique tips laugh

But as far as theory goes, I think I can hack that wink

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Steve W:
Thanks, jazzwee!

I agree with the medal idea!

It is starting to make sense - will have to re-read a few more times and give it time to soak in.

How about the concept of "key centers?" Where does this come in?
Steve W, this will come in heavily when we get to learning how to solo. In order to solo over chord changes, you need to know what notes to pick and these are typically notes of a particular scale. So if you know what key you're in, you don't have to do it by trial and error.

For example in Autumn Leaves, the initial scale to use is "G" scale. You can play any note in G scale in a solo and it will sound correct ('Diatonic' is the formal term).

I'll explain this more in detail as we go along.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ganymed:
Im looking forward towards your next advices smile .
Do you use any books to learn jazz piano from ?
Hi ganymed, I probably have read ALL the jazz books laugh . But most of them repeat the same story.

I learned from 3+ years of jazz lessons from jazz professionals and I'm still with a teacher. So I'm confident I'm not leading anyone astray here laugh

But I'm still an amateur on the 'execution' side and I'm working hard on that front. Welcome to our little thread and keep asking questions.

My Jazz Blog

Jeez, this thread took off !!!!

I turn my back for a second and there's 5 pages of stuff.

Ok, I just rushed over to the keyboard and recorded a quick simple version. LH 1,7 and 1,3 like others mentioned early in this thread (that's just what I'm used to doing right now). First time through played like I would normally, second time through tried to push the melody around a bit, not always with a lot of success.

Here\'s my simple version

jazzwee, how is this for this beginning stage of the thread ?

Now off to go read alot of this thread and try to catch up.

------
If you knew what you were doing, you'd probably be bored.
- Fresco's Law
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
DeepElem, great job! I'm proud of all of you. You're all making music!

Don't worry that we've done anything different. We're still on 1/7's. The only additional exercise for pre-solo is to do 1/7's in the LH and 3rds on the RH. This is important to get to the solo stage.

And all your recordings sound great. My Zoom H4 is on the blink. It has a little 'Mic Gain' problem so it keeps going from Low to High and distorting my recordings. GRRRR! This is making it a little harder to provide recordings.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
This took more effort than I thought, but I finally managed to get through it in ballad tempo without too many mistakes.

http://www.box.net/shared/9faokkyog0

I guess my next step should be to try for a swing rhythm, then I'll deal with some of the other theory stuff I see flying around.

I can see I've got a lot of reading to catch up on in this thread!

Awesome versions posted so far, everyone. Hope you don't mind if I stole shamelessly from a few.

And I agree with the medal thing for Jazzwee! Or maybe we could have an international Jazzwee Day where everyone wears zoot suits or 40's dresses and plays old bebop records. That'd be cool. cool

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sorry if I might have missed it, but could someone please clarify the relationship between Autumn Leaves and the Circle of Fifths/Fourths? I've always been a little confused about it..Thanks! smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by Elssa:
could someone please clarify the relationship between Autumn Leaves and the Circle of Fifths/Fourths?
Well, in my folk-style reading of the circle of 5ths, of which rintincop has posted a handy graphic here, I mostly think of the root of the chord. The 5ths are read clockwise - from C "up" the keyboard (or the alphabet laugh ) to G is a 5th, and the G is the V chord in the key of C. So, often, in other keys, one will find a G7, a V7, leading into a C chord, even if G7 isn't normally in that key. You might, for instance, find a G7 chord leading to a C7 chord which leads to the tonic F in the key of F.

But if you read the circle of "5ths" counterclockwise what you are reading is the chord progression of V-I in each pair - G to C, C to F, F to B, etc (yeah, Bb, but for me that's a refinement of the concept). So, in much old 40's popular music you'll find a string of those chord progressions in a piece of music - following the "circle of 4ths" - C "up" to F) - A to D to G to C to F - only they'll all be V7 chords, and not part of the "key" in which the piece is written.

So I've gotten to thinking of *any* A chord, whether it's A7, or Amaj7 or Amin or Adim, or Ab, or whatever, as a "flavor" of a dominant 5th that can lead to some "flavor" of D, and similarly for any of the other progressions.

So the chord progression for the A part of Autumn Leaves features roots from the circle of 4ths - A-D-G-C-F-B-E - counterclockwise around the circle from A, which leads right back to the A again. The B section starts on an F(#) root, and follows the circle of 4ths around again, eventually going far enuf to end on the Em.

That may or may not clarify anything laugh , but it's the way I think of it.

EDIT: LOL - rintincop changed the particular graphic of the circle of 5ths while I was writing my tome, and added a very succinct explanation. Well done, rtc.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
My friend ritincop is one of our resident jazz pros on Pianoworld so thanks for stepping in!

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
This is a simplified melody of Autumn Leaves.

http://www.box.net/shared/7fjofyaogk

This will just allow all of you to get the timing of the chords and melody right. I do a poor job of phrasing but this is not really jazzy, it serves a utilitarian purpose. Time your melody to the rhythm. I'm playing half notes in the LH, so you can count through it. It's important when playing get the base rhythm down. I know it takes awhile to get there but I will help you. Don't worry if it takes longer than you thought.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Elssa:
Great study group idea! :p

Well, here's something I recorded last year.. It's in ballad form in key of G/Eminor with some arps and runs. When I played it for my jazz teacher at the time, he said it was terrible and really needs to be played with a "swing", not as a ballad! (but here it is anyway). :rolleyes: My goal is to learn to "swing it" and also to improvise with the chords. smile

Autumn Leaves
http://www.box.net/shared/0b668mh13j
Elssa, such beautiful ballad playing. You have excellent piano technique! I thoroughly enjoyed this and I'm sure everyone else did. Even in ballad form it will be a good for getting the timing of the melody with the chords down. Thanks for sharing that.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee, thanks for the Scale Degree lesson. i kept this site open in another window

http://www.telacommunications.com/nutshell/music/keyboard.htm

and could follow along on the keyboard. helped me with the visual sense of it all.

"The human brain can be quite wasteful." Chang, Fundamentals of Piano Practice
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
westarm, I didn't expect everyone to try to understand the Scale Degree Lesson. I'm mixing theory and practice here. I'm glad you invested the time to do that though, because it will enhance your understanding later.

Bluekeys, your music post got buried in there. Sorry I didn't comment. Good job!

Now all of us who have posted music should try with future attempts to making sure the melody is correctly lined up with the chords and keeping the LH Rhythm constant at your desired tempo. Let's not be too happy with what we've done. Shoot for the next level. We'll all vote to give a virtual Medal for 'Most Improved'. yippie

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks all for your nice comments..Everyone sounds terrific! smile

So the chord progression for the A part of Autumn Leaves features roots from the circle of 4ths - A-D-G-C-F-B-E - counterclockwise around the circle from A, which leads right back to the A again.

Yes, I see what you mean about using some form or "flavor" of the root chord. I thought I had read somewhere sometime that Autumn Leaves used a full Circle of 5th/4ths, so that confused me about the F# chord, but they must have just meant using some form of "F", as you say.

Thanks for the chart Rintincop thumb

I'll post my "swung" version when I can get it to sound half decent. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A-D-G-C-F-B-E
That's not how I would think of it because it's... wrong. smile

The trip around the circle is A-D-G-C ---> jump ---> F#-B-E (repeat).

F# is NOT some form of F even though they both have an "F" in their name.

That's why it makes sense to think of it as two 2-5-1's. Am-D7-G is a 2-5-1 in the key of G, F#m7b5-B7(b9)-Em is a 2-5-1 in the key of Em (which is the relative minor of G). With a C chord to connect the two.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Now all of us who have posted music should try with future attempts to making sure the melody is correctly lined up with the chords
What is the point of that? Isn't that the opposite of swinging?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
[b]Now all of us who have posted music should try with future attempts to making sure the melody is correctly lined up with the chords
What is the point of that? Isn't that the opposite of swinging? [/b]
Isn't swinging also "correctly" aligned with the chords, just differently than straight time?

After hearing Jazz's simple melody, I for one have decided to do more work on straight rhythm before grabbing a vine and letting loose a Tarzan yell. But I don't think the intention was to stop anyone from swinging.

So I'm currently learning the 1-7 left hand with the single-note melody, straight time, not really atempting any swing-type rhythm yet, since I want to be able to play the 1-7 in the left hand without having to think about it so much. And I'm happy to say that I can read some of the theory-related posts (over and over) and it's beginning to make a little bit of sense, as long as I just take it slowly and not get inpatient with myself.

If all goes well today, I'll post a recording this evening. I love all the recordings I've listened to so far. Very inspiring.

Rhonda
Page 6 of 187 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 186 187

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission