2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 187 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 186 187
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by mahlzeit:
[b]A-D-G-C-F-B-E
That's not how I would think of it because it's... wrong. smile
[/b]
Mahlzeit, what'd you expect from the person who hooked up their recording equipment backwards? laugh

I'm aware that "flavor" isn't a technical term in music and that, as pianojerome points out, the places on a staff are *not* "F"s in the key of G, but F#'s. But I routinely find F# major with my fingers by visuallizing the keyboard as I play and moving an F chord up half a step. I in practice as I read music find F#dim by playing the top two notes of an F with an F#. It's a conceptual framework that functions well for me when I'm reading lead sheets, and the sense that the chord's root alphabetic name progresses in 4ths helps me find the places on the keyboard itself quickly, since I play a *lot* of IV-V-I music and I'm really familiar with those changes.

It may well be that as I play more and analyze more and understand more that functional knowledge will shift its conceptualness to ii-V-I laugh laugh laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Hm. A while back Kreisler was posting classical music and then analyzing it. In the G7-C7-F example that I gave he called the G7 the "applied dominant". I've also thought of it as the "V of the V" chord. And the "circle of 4ths" terminology I read in a "how to play piano with chords" or similar place. The G7 is, of course, built on the second degree of of the F scale, but is not the same chord is the ii chord in F. Nonetheless, for me at this point in time wink there is a relationship between Gmin and G7 and the progression to C7 that helps me put a framework on the harmony that's being used.

FWIW, YMMV as Yuri says smile

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by bluekeys:
[b]
Originally posted by jazzwee:
[b]Now all of us who have posted music should try with future attempts to making sure the melody is correctly lined up with the chords
What is the point of that? Isn't that the opposite of swinging? [/b]
Isn't swinging also "correctly" aligned with the chords, just differently than straight time?

After hearing Jazz's simple melody, I for one have decided to do more work on straight rhythm before grabbing a vine and letting loose a Tarzan yell. But I don't think the intention was to stop anyone from swinging. [/b]
Hi Guys and Gals, Bluekeys is absolutely correct. I've been emphasizing since the beginning that swing is about exact timing even on the fraction of an eight note. It takes a lot of technique development to do it right.

In the meantime, we have to at least start with playing it straight but correctly aligned to the measure. For example, the start of the melody is not exactly on Am7. There's 'The Fa-lling' and then Am7 starts on 'Leaves'. So the positioning is important. Let's make sure we learn to count and make an even 4/4 on the LH. When you can have good internal beat pulse, only then would you start to play Rubato. Rubato in jazz is not free form time. If you rob time at one point you have to make it up at another point. In cocktail piano, you are able to stretch the time and fit lots of arpeggios in there without concern for the beat. In jazz, there's a constant beat and if you stray, you will be left behind by the bass player and drummer.

So my simple melody is absolutely non-jazz and non-swinging. It is intended to have everyone learn to count the chords. Count 1234 for each chord. You can play a whole on the LH, just count internally for 4 beats.

If you are not exact with the rhythm, you will have no way of aligning accents to offbeats because you won't be aware of where the offbeats are. Swinging comes from this accent alignment which gives the sensation of forward momentum, like you're going to fall on the downbeat.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Everyone,

Regarding the Circle of fifths question:

Let me repost the scale degrees and scale again:

G Scale: G, A, B, C, D, E, F#, substituted below.

There is no F in the G scale. G scale has F#

So the scale degrees are as follows:

I - GM7
ii - Am7
iii - Bm7
IV - CM7
V - D7
vi - Em7
vii - F#m7b5

Circle of fifth motion goes like this:

IV CM7
vii F#m7b5
iii Bm7
vi Em7
ii Am7
V D7
I GMaj7

Or just memorize 4-7-3-6-2-5-1.

So do you notice that Autumn Leaves has this?

vii F#m7b5
iii Bm7 (changed to B7b9)
vi Em7

ii Am7
V D7
I GMaj7

Thus, it is true that Autumn Leaves follows the circle of Fifths. But Matthijs is also right in that this:

vii F#m7b5
iii B7b9
vi Em7

is a minor ii-V-i in Em. That's the reason we emphasize the B7b9 instead of leaving the original Bm7 in there.

The mistake in thinking of the Circle is not thinking of the notes of the scale. So think F# in G scale. Not F.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jotur:
Hm. A while back Kreisler was posting classical music and then analyzing it. In the G7-C7-F example that I gave he called the G7 the "applied dominant". I've also thought of it as the "V of the V" chord. And the "circle of 4ths" terminology I read in a "how to play piano with chords" or similar place. The G7 is, of course, built on the second degree of of the F scale, but is not the same chord is the ii chord in F. Nonetheless, for me at this point in time wink there is a relationship between Gmin and G7 and the progression to C7 that helps me put a framework on the harmony that's being used.

FWIW, YMMV as Yuri says smile

Cathy
Cathy, this is where it could get confusing.

The progression

G7 - C7 - F could be construed as a non-2-5-1.

Yes you could look at G7 as a substitute for Gm7 but one has to look at the context of an entire tune. An alternative explanation is that between G7 and C7, there's a modulation from C to F. G7 is 5th of C and C7 is 5th of F. In music theory, dominant sevenths are frequently used to to signify modulation.

Frequently this progression is made even clear with a sequence like this:

| Dm7 | G7 | Gm7 | C7 | F |

Notice the gradual changeover between G7 and Gm7. Very common in jazz actually. Also the reverse is done, |Gm7 | G7 | C |
So at Gm7, you think you're going to to C7 but the chord fakes you out and off it goes to a different direction. This is actually one of the 'fun' parts of jazz is that it does this a lot. So the progressions take an unexpected turn.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So my simple melody is absolutely non-jazz and non-swinging. It is intended to have everyone learn to count the chords.
OK, that makes sense. smile

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
[b]So my simple melody is absolutely non-jazz and non-swinging. It is intended to have everyone learn to count the chords.
OK, that makes sense. smile [/b]
Perhaps if we all learned from sheet music we wouldn't have this problem, but I think it is good training since we don't normally work from anything but leadsheets or just a progression.

In retrospect, my coming out with a swinging version the 1st time around may have caused a lot of confusion on the time. I'm learning as we go along here.

My Jazz Blog

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
posted by jazzwee:

An alternative explanation is that between G7 and C7, there's a modulation from C to F. G7 is 5th of C and C7 is 5th of F. In music theory, dominant sevenths are frequently used to to signify modulation.

Frequently this progression is made even clear with a sequence like this:

| Dm7 | G7 | Gm7 | C7 | F |

Notice the gradual changeover between G7 and Gm7. Very common in jazz actually. - End Quote

Yes, the use of the dominant 7th often signals a modulation - I learned that before I could even say "modulation" - laugh and had asked how to change keys to play a tune in a different key in the context of one long piece, and was told to use the V chord of the key I was going to.

In the Dm7-G7-Gm7-C7-F what I see is the F natural that is common between Dm7 and G7, and the Bb that is common between the Gm7 and the C7, as furthering that progression's sound to get to the F chord. It is interesting to me that jazz players conceptualize it differently and that's part of what I'm interested in this thread for, so I find both yours and Mahlzeit's posts really valuable. It just still helps me to have a "hook to hang my hat on" to see the D-G-G-C-F parts of it, with variations smile

EDIT: - whoops, got my quote editing messed up, so just indicated it by hand.

Cathy

Cathy
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Yes, Cathy, the Fmaj7 would be common to both key of C and key of F. But that's where context comes in (what came before and what comes after).

In jazz, though, you wouldn't modulate from F back to C without some intervening progression, i.e. I couldn't think of F as belonging to a C scale at that point.

In Autumn Leaves, one modulates to by having a sequence like GMaj7 CMaj7 (similar to your C to F example). In the case of your original progression, since C7 went to F, then I look at that as V I.

C7 F C would be a modulation on the final C.

Interesting stuff huh?

Sorry I missed the [BRAIN EXPLOSION WARNING] but you guys started this laugh

My Jazz Blog

Hey Guys!

Just found this thread! Lot's of good stuff. Thanks for the reference in the thread I posted.

Philip B
A question for anyone here - I'm playing 1-7 in the left hand and my left hand is all over the place with roots going from A up to D then back down to G, then up to C, down to F#, up to B, etc.

Is this right? Thanks.

Rhonda
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by RhondaLynne:
A question for anyone here - I'm playing 1-7 in the left hand and my left hand is all over the place with roots going from A up to D then back down to G, then up to C, down to F#, up to B, etc.

Is this right? Thanks.
I can't say whether it's right or wrong, but I'm doing the same thing with one exception. In the sequence that goes |Em7 A7|Dm7 G7| I play the 1/7s for the Em7 and the Dm7 using the keys next to each other (D3E3 for Em7 and C3D3 for Dm7) I think it's easier to do and sounds better. Hopefully that won't mess me up later. (My initial recording didn't do that, though.)

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Is this right? Thanks.
Yes, this is right, for now. I think the idea is to first learn the shapes of the 1-7 voicings. Later on I believe we'll find that alternating 1-7 with 1-3 makes for much smoother voice leading and your hand won't jump around as much.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
K
K
roots going from A up to D then back down to G, then up to C, down to F#, up to B, etc.
RhondaLynne - I tried both approaches:

1 - A up to D down to G ... (like you are doing), and
2 - A down to D up to G ...

I thought that the approach that you are using sounded the best because it kept the root and seventh a little bit higher on the keyboard. The other approach moved the two base notes too low and and they sounded kind of muddy. (at least on my keyboard.)

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
K
K
re accents...

I am working on accents. Should I accent the notes under both hands, or just the right hand?

Also, when I play, the notes coming from my left hand just seem too loud. When I listen to the recordings that you folks have posted on the thread, your right hand melodies really sparkle through clearly. Your left hand harmonies are much more subdued than mine and in balance with the melody. Does anybody have any tips on how to lighten the left hand? Could my piano bench be off level, maybe listing a bit to one side? wink

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Ritincop. I always soften my LH. 1/7 played loud can sound kind of harsh.

BTW guys - I'm teaching you to practice 1/7's because in Lesson #2 (several pages back), I'm having you do 3rds in the RH. See the post with 3 notes for the Autumn Leaves chords. You need to follow the 3rd movements in your RH so you can get used to that for solos.

A beginner's solo approach is to start enhancing the 3rds with approach notes and suddenly you will be playing some real melodies. So although 1/7 and 1/3 is better for smooth voice leading, it is much easier to learn than sticking to 1/7's only so, if you can, stick the to 1/7 methodology and start playing 3rds in your RH.

You can switch between both methods if you like, and certainly 1/7 1/3 is ok when playing just the melody. But the important exercise here which will develop you later is playing 3rds on the RH, and actually understanding that they are thirds of the chords you're working with.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by KeyboardJungle:
re accents...

I am working on accents. Should I accent the notes under both hands, or just the right hand?
wink
The only time I would ever think about accenting the LH would be if I'm playing a walking bass line. So in general, the LH plays straight and accenting is on the RH.

Remember that accenting is on 8th notes only. There are no accents to worry about (that you can specifically practice) on quarter notes or sixteenth notes.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by KeyboardJungle:
[b] roots going from A up to D then back down to G, then up to C, down to F#, up to B, etc.
RhondaLynne - I tried both approaches:

1 - A up to D down to G ... (like you are doing), and
2 - A down to D up to G ...

I thought that the approach that you are using sounded the best because it kept the root and seventh a little bit higher on the keyboard. The other approach moved the two base notes too low and and they sounded kind of muddy. (at least on my keyboard.) [/b]
Keyboardjungle, using 1/7's, the Am7 is played on A2 then D3, then G2, then C3. So don't play too low on the keyboard or it will sound muddy.

Those who are using 1/3's will also sound better higher on the keyboard. 1/7 1/3's can also work in A3 then D4, G3 and C4. I might switch them around once in awhile to vary the sound.

My Jazz Blog

Page 7 of 187 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 186 187

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission