2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, David B, 8 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 48 of 187 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 186 187
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jazzwee:
But looks like everyone has such big projects that it's a bigger hurdle to post the next level of improvement.
You've got that right, boss. The key word here is "improvement". laugh

A Sudnow Method Fanatic
"Color tones, can't live without them"

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
D
D
I'm just having problems getting piano time lately. Haven't made too much progress on my projects. Practicing going through the melody once laying back behind the beat a bit, and then running through a line of improv. My accents still have a long way to go yet. I don't feel like I really have the control to shorten or lengthen the upbeat note as suggested. Been listening to a lot of Mehldau lately. Really enjoy his swing style.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hey Barb and Deeluk, on your note choices, how about practicing a whole solo of nothing but chord arpeggios? I remember doing that too in the development process.

We can't get coralled to stepwise motion only, we've got to practice mixing it in so think about that. As Bill Evans proves, chord arpeggios sound pretty good. Typically, Bill arpeggiates from the 3rd of the chord to the ninth and then back down.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
how about practicing a whole solo of nothing but chord arpeggios?
A breath of fresh air -- Thank you smile

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jazzwee,

I try the chord arpeggios also. I've been using the chords for Colour My World by Chicago for chord practice and for keeping my old spinets tuning honest. I can do the same with the chord arpeggios your recommending and it makes a good change for me. I hate scales - Always have. I use bach for my single fingering exercises and always trying something new for the chord exercises. It's always worked for me.

Swingin' Barb, your playing has come a long way since you shared your first recording. You can always tell when someone has been working really hard. I can't wait to hear what another 6 months on this tread wiil do with our playing!!! Keep up the good work!

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A really interesting fact is that with arpeggios you can see that major is minor and minor is major.

Starting an arpeggio on a m7 chord from it's 3rd becomes a M7 chord.
Am7 = c e g b = CM7 = which contains a minor triad = e g b.

and the opposite:
CM7 = e g b d = Em7 = which contains an major triad = g b d

btw for those of you interested: a daughter; Beatrice Inga Evelyn Bell. She's beautiful.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey Chris - Congrats to you and your wife. thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb Maybe you can post a picture of little Beatrice.

Thanks for the major/minor. I never thought of it that way.

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Woody - Thank you for your kind words. Also, thank you for bumping up this thread. Jazzwee does deserve top billing on this forum.

Don't be a stranger here. Even if you can't record right now, we'd love for you to share how you are progressing with the lessons.

Please join the 21st century soon and get yourself a recording setup. You don't need a digital piano to record and post.

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Swingin' Barb - I would love to join the 21st centrury with recording equipment but my priorities right now is to get my piano stable enough for playing.

It is an inherited, 45 year old spinet that until I received it last June had never seen a tuner, regulator or voicer in all that time. Knowing I live 75 miles from the nearest PT and what would be needed to coax her back, I ordered my own tuning and regulation tools and have been working on it since. Each time I bring her up another half note - she rebels. Last weekend I brought her up the 5th time to A=440 and she is having temper tantrums. Yes, she was 2 1/2 tones low when I got her - and not everywhere (only here and there - some notes were only 1 1/2 tones low) It's been my biggest challange.

My significant other is completely tone deaf so there is no pressing issue to get another more siutable piano at this time. This was my signifant other's piano when they were growing up so they have the sentimental issues to deal with also.

For now, I'll keep plugging along. I have been into the tread of and on but not posting. I can change that part and start adding my $.02 and keep everyone up to date with my progress. The opportunity Jazzwee has provided here is FANTASTIC! For me, it's and entirely different way of learning. If this thread gets too low again, I'll make sure to more than just bump it up. I add my $.02 also.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jazzwee - I hope you enjoyed the quiet time. Guess I'm putting you back to work again. There was something about going back to chord tones that took the fear out of posting another sample. So, I thought I would add something different and play Head, Solo, Head as you had suggested to Deeluk last week.

By playing the head, I felt more in control for right hand dragging with LH rootless. I'm having a hard time playing rootless and dragging while soloing, though. Particularly soloing with Dim scales. Let me know if you sensed a lazier right hand while doing this arpeggiated solo. Also, I hope I'm not back to sing/song. You be the judge on that.

Thank you for listening. smile

http://www.box.net/shared/3audf8w840

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Woody - PIANO TUNING???? I'm impressed. Sounds like your area can use a PT. Get good at this, and you have a new career laugh

Deeluk - Your turn to post!

Rosa - Come back.....

Lurkers - Come forward!!!!!

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Swingin' Barb:
Jazzwee - I hope you enjoyed the quiet time. Guess I'm putting you back to work again. There was something about going back to chord tones that took the fear out of posting another sample. So, I thought I would add something different and play Head, Solo, Head as you had suggested to Deeluk last week.

By playing the head, I felt more in control for right hand dragging with LH rootless. I'm having a hard time playing rootless and dragging while soloing, though. Particularly soloing with Dim scales. Let me know if you sensed a lazier right hand while doing this arpeggiated solo. Also, I hope I'm not back to sing/song. You be the judge on that.

Thank you for listening. smile

http://www.box.net/shared/3audf8w840
That was a full AL recital there Barb! The whole tune with solo and LH chords. That's a first!

Congratulations. I agree that there's marked improvement. Let me listen to it some more later to see how we can push you to another notch.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Chris, no wonder you've been quiet lately! Congratulations. At first your message was a bit cryptic but the women were quick to pick up on it. Now while having your sleepless nights, you can login to the forum laugh

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Let me listen to it some more later to see how we can push you to another notch.
Ouch - I'm not quite settled into this notch yet eek

Hey, by playing the head/solo style, I did feel like I was playing in a smokey bar this morning smokin

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

Congratulations to your new girl Chris smile .

Yes, post her beautiful picture here.

We are very happy for you.

Rosa

Rosa - Come back.....

smile I never left, Barb.

OK....i just saw your new recording and I was going to listen to it but better not because if I do, I won't post mine here tonight.

http://www.box.net/shared/l7qohd0qo4

Here I tried to put in more 8th notes as I recall Jazzwee saying he likes to hear lots of 8th notes. I hope you guys can hear that I tried to incorporate the lessons from 11-14 in here. Hope you can hear them. But still having lots of problem with articulation.

Rosa

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just listened Rosa. Very, very nice. You have definitely made some positive leaps.

I really didn't think you had left. I guess we should all occasionally post what we're up to - even though we aren't ready to post our playing. That way, the thread won't fall low on the page where it's hard to find. (And we can relieve Woody of his bumping duties laugh )

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

Bravo Barb! I got to listen to it now. You sound very professional to me. Thanks for your kind comments.

Your LH stabbing is so good.

Rosa

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Rosa, those are great note choices. You were making nice melodies in there. Keep that up. I wouldn't change what you are doing there. We just have to work on the swing, accenting and legato on the eighth notes. So it's all about the feel. Most people when given a chance can come up with good melodies. In jazz it's just sped up and propelled with a certain articulation.

So can you work on doing the same thing but applying swing technique? (accent offbeat notes and absolute legato on eighth notes).

I like your mix of note lengths it's very nicely balanced. You may not even realize it but you had some rhythmically interesting lines there if you just swung it. The off center (time wise) landing of notes have a nice effect that could be emphasized by swing, once you get that squared away.

My Jazz Blog

Thanks for listening Jazzwee and the comments and suggestions.

accent offbeat notes and absolute legato on eighth notes.
You can tell I am having a lot of trouble with this and that's why it doesn't sound jazzy.

Should I work on getting all 8th notes legato first (ie. the 1st 8th note longer than the 2nd 8th note), and then when that is mastered, then do the accent on the offbeat.

I am having a terrible time with accenting the offbeat and that's why I tried to place a lot of ending phrases on the "+" of 4 and "+" of 8 to make myself accent on the off beat.

Rosa

Page 48 of 187 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 186 187

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission