2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, David B, 8 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 187 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 186 187
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
RH Phrasing in Jazz

I think that the issue of how to phrase is common to everyone now so let's emphasize the points once again.

Part of the purpose of swing is to remove the stiffness in the sound and relax the feel. So this can be used to varying degrees even in a non-jazz tune so these suggestions apply even when playing slow.

1. Eighth Notes are Legato/Slurred. Accent on Upbeats. Except for the last eighth note followed by a rest. This is played short.

2. Quarter notes are played short, or detached. Basically if there's a series of quarter notes, there should be a short rest in between each one. Bouncy Feel is exactly what I would use to describe it.

3. Half and Whole notes are played at full value with no alteration.

4. Sixteenth notes are not swung. They are played evenly and with no accent (at Medium swing tempo).

So as you can see, you really have to only look at Eighth Notes and Quarter Notes and phrasing them. When reading a leadsheet, these are assumed in Jazz and not written into the music. Even when using Serge's leadsheet, you can almost pre-write these rules on it. I did at the beginning of my studies. I marked which ones I should play short or slurred.

LH Phrasing

When playing quarter bass notes on the LH, these are always slurred/legato. No swing applied. Accent beat 2 and 4. The reason for this is that you are emulating the bass player.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Elssa, That was great! I'm completely blown away by how fast the people on this forum are progressing. While I enjoyed your earlier "cocktail" version, this new one has a crisper, professional sound that I think is much more appealing. Thanks for posting. You're setting a good example for where I hope to be in, oh, five or ten years! smile

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by rintincop:
"You do not accent 2 and 4 in walking jazz bass, although some people mistakenly think you do in order to get the "groove" going....the drummer does the 2 and 4 accent and the bass player has to have his great time sense really correct and play slightly on top of the beat (not rushing, but on the upside of the beat, rather than dead in the middle for playing jazz -- we used to call it the "Ray Brown Edge"...Ray is right, that's where you play and he does NOT accent 2 and 4 at all."

Carol Kaye

However, jazz pianist Dave McKenna does frequently accent the 2 and the 4 in his walking bass, sometimes just the 2. And in some measures he doesn't accent any of the bass notes. I guess he varies it depending on how hard he wants to groove. It's "groovy" to accent 2 or 4 occasionally but it's not necessary to constantly accent 2 and 4.
I agree with you Ritincop. I don't always accent 2 and 4, although I was specifically taught to do that. I think good taste would dictate when it applies.

We haven't discussed Latin/Bossa here even which is not accented at all.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Elssa:
Well, I've been working on that walking bass two days straight now..hope I hit all the leading tones (or most of them at least). laugh

http://www.box.net/shared/di0vcj1cgc
Very nice Elssa, with a little bit of improvisation even! thumb

Some things to watch, in addition to what Ritincop said. I liked your walking bass. The note selection was perfect. Now if you listen to it as you changed chords, the walking bass did not slur to the next chord. Be careful with that. I think the reason for that is probably a fingering issue. Think carefully about how you're going to finger the bass lines to connect from chord to chord.

I'm going to add some more to these comments in a moment as I listen to your melody more. You're more advanced so we can probably set a higher standard for you to reach. laugh

EDIT - I think Ritincop was right on. The significant issue is the quarter note and accenting the 1st eighth note. I would mark up on the music how you phrase the melody (since most of us don't follow the music exactly), but specifically check the phrasing rules to see if you're using eighth notes and where it lands on the beat, as well as when to detach the quarter notes.

In my early jazz studies, I would be given sheet music of jazz lines and I had to interpret the phrasing which is never written in. It has to come automatically. Now I don't even think of these issues as it's ingrained in me.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by bluekeys:
Elssa, That was great! I'm completely blown away by how fast the people on this forum are progressing. While I enjoyed your earlier "cocktail" version, this new one has a crisper, professional sound that I think is much more appealing. Thanks for posting. You're setting a good example for where I hope to be in, oh, five or ten years! smile
This is a piece of cake for you bluekeys. This is within short term reach. thumb

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Serge88:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=-lTaSozn5RI

Hi, I just recorded Autumn leaves with video and I uploaded on youtube. I used a accompaniement of bass and drum. I added a little extra, when I play Em7 I follow with Em6, it sounds nice.

Serge
I was wondering, Serge, how did you figure out that you could substitute and Em6 in there? Was that just trial and error? That is actually quite a valid substution when the Em7 is a tonic chord, which it is in this instance.

When we get to an advanced level on this tune much later on, it would be fun to play with various substitutions on Autumn Leaves. I normally do a lot of substutitions when I play this myself.

My Jazz Blog

Ellsa, bravo! What an inspiration to us all.

Here's a basic question:

Is there a convention in jazz lingo to refer to eighth notes as "eight" notes? It looks like sixteenth notes are referred to by that name - is there a rationale for the eighth/eight switcheroo?

Steve W
Omaha, NE
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Steve W:
Here's a basic question:

Is there a convention in jazz lingo to refer to eighth notes as "eight" notes? It looks like sixteenth notes are referred to by that name - is there a rationale for the eighth/eight switcheroo?
Yes, there's just a convention for bad English laugh Thanks for catching. I was getting dyslexic looking at them probably. wink

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jazzwee:

Fantastic Thread!!! I logged onto the forums for the first time yesterday so I got a late start. I hope you don't mind if I back you up a bit. I'm on the second lesson (playing the 3rds) and I have a bit of a problem with playing the melody while hitting the 1/7/3. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to drop down an octive?

[Linked Image]
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Woody, the 3rd playing is not with the melody. That's instead of the melody and is a practice to get used to doing a solo.

For melody playing, just use 1/7. And also in a later lesson, you can insert the 5 as in 1/5/7.

What you are referring to as 1/7/3 is playing in tenths which I discussed later (1/10) and is difficult to do unless you have ultra-large hands. I would save that for later when you've mastered everything else.

Have fun!

My Jazz Blog

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jazzwee:
I was wondering, Serge, how did you figure out that you could substitute and Em6 in there? Was that just trial and error? That is actually quite a valid substution when the Em7 is a tonic chord, which it is in this instance.

When we get to an advanced level on this tune much later on, it would be fun to play with various substitutions on Autumn Leaves. I normally do a lot of substutitions when I play this myself.
I found a version where at the last two bar it's Em7 follow by Em6. I tried that on the left hand (going from 1/7 to 1/6 was easy), it was nice so I decided to change every Em7 chord by Em7 on beat 1 and Em6 on beat 3.

Serge

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
It always works to turn a Im7 into a Im6 if the progression is IIm7b5-V7b9-Im7. Just note that it doesn't work on a minor functioning as a ii chord (like Am7 in AL), or iii chord.

You're pretty sharp to notice this. You can also play Em6 completely and skip the Em7.

My Jazz Blog

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jazzwee:
Hi Woody, the 3rd playing is not with the melody. That's instead of the melody and is a practice to get used to doing a solo.

Have fun!
Really ??? I thought we were supposed to practice 1/7 left hand and 3rd + the melody with the right hand.

Why did you choose Autumn leaves if we don't play the melody ?

Serge

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
The standard thing I was teaching was to play 1/7 in LH and Melody in the RH. That's the starting point. As I said at the beginning, if you took a fresh song out of a leadsheet like 'As Time Goes By' or 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' or 'Misty', this approach is used to get a good understanding of the tune. It is something I myself do all the time.

Now beyond that is now to thicken the harmony and inner voices so later on in the lessons, we discussed using 1/7 or 1/3, and even later than that we discussed 1/5/7.

As a separate discussion I discussed practicing doing a 3rd on the RH as a solo exercise. Not connected to the melody.

Sometimes the 3rd is the melody. Sometimes the 3rd is in the way or above the melody so you can't always play it on the RH (in which case you play it on the LH and the 7th is played on the RH instead). If you can play the 3rd while the melody is higher up it's a good thing because we'll be talking about that later. However, I wasn't specifically asking everyone to do this since it doesn't always work.

I'm trying to introduce everyone to the improvisation side and thus I was giving everyone the exercise of listening to the 3rd on the RH. And that can become a 'home base' sound for a solo.

Jazz is played as:
1. Head (Melody)
2. Solo
3. Repeat Head.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Serge, I still need to do a separate lesson discussing additional inner voices on RH and LH, both when playing the melody and just comping.

I haven't explained that yet because I wanted to make sure everyone knew what the extension references were (9,11,13, etc.) which I did a few days ago.

My Jazz Blog

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Ok thanks,

by the way I ordered P.Degreg Keyboard Jazz harmony. It looks like a good book on voicing and practicing jazz chords.

Serge

- Robert Schumann

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Excellent Serge. Do you have the book 'Metaphors for the Musician'? I recommend that too. Especially useful is the solo piano/comping discussion which is clearly stated.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Especially useful is the solo piano/comping discussion which is clearly stated.

Thanks again all. smile This is such a great site/thread for learning and inspiration! smile My main bugaboo now is still the soloing, but I'm going to check out everything listed on that here again and I'm sure eventually I'll "get it" (might take a while though). laugh

Page 18 of 187 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 186 187

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission