Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
127 registered (Anne'sson, accordeur, ando, AllanH, 33 invisible), 1326 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 38 of 124 < 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 123 124 >
Topic Options
#1011220 - 03/22/08 06:23 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
No active discussion Woody. Just the usual drive-by shooters rating me down. Nothing new. Pretty strange though since we've all been quiet lately so just the mere presence of this thread serves to irk some idiots.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1011221 - 03/23/08 04:45 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
rosa2007 Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
Chris, thanks for doing the ATTTYA arps for us. Yaaay, we have now AL and ATTTYA to work on side by side. BTW, your sleeping beauty looks great!!

#1011222 - 03/23/08 04:46 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
rosa2007 Offline

Woody, I agree with you & that Jazzwee has given us such a great gift in this thread. Where can we find this kind of mentor? He is a GEM. IF it were not for this thread, I would not be able to start playing jazz, not to mention to start doing jazz solo. He had taken a lot of my jazz phobia out of the way and made each step EZ to understand so that I know exactly what to do.

Jazzwee, don't let those annonymous shooters get to you. They just want to trap you to demoralize you.

You are in all our hearts and that's what counts.

#1011223 - 03/23/08 04:51 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
rosa2007 Offline

Quote:

I don't think it's my words in the lessons so much that's important. What is key is that when someone posts a recording and we as a group give feedback, we are giving much more specific advice and that I think is invaluable. One cannot get that from a book. It's why everyone improves so much.

I can't agree with you more. The LESSONS are concise and focused. But the BEST part for me is to be able to submit our recordings and getting feedback so QUICKLY. We need prompt feedback to keep our motivation high and to make sure we are not wasting our time doing the wrong thing but on the right track.

And all the specific advice on everybody's recordings (not just mine) had benefited me GREATLY.

Jazzwee, though you don't know us personally, but from your comments we all know that you spend a considerable amount of time listening to each of our recordings and giving us so SPECIFIC feedback so that we know how to improve -- we are greatly indebted to you and your interests to make us GROOOOOOWWWWWW in our playing. I see great improvement in everyone here within 3 short months.

Also others feedback like rintincop and fellow learners are invaluable too.

Westarm and Woody -- hope you upload your recording files soon. The more you record, the more you will play and PLAY, and the better and BETTER you will get.

#1011224 - 03/23/08 02:47 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1011225 - 03/23/08 04:03 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Coastal Mississippi
rintincop,
Wow! That's Jazz! I hate to admit it but I've never heard of him. I tried out the other recordings of Wynton Kelly's also. Most impresive! Let people say what they will about this thread, if nothing else, I have a new appreciation of Jazz that alone is worth logging on to the thread. Thanks.

#1011226 - 03/23/08 04:40 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1011227 - 03/23/08 04:55 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1011228 - 03/23/08 05:29 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

The man is amazing! It looks like he played in quite a few different bands during his time. Why is he a secret or am I just showing how limited my Jazz exposure has been? More important, who else do I not know about? Damn!

#1011229 - 03/23/08 05:30 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh, and I'm sorry - Thanks - I forgot in my last posting.

#1011230 - 03/23/08 05:31 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Edit - Double posted

#1011231 - 03/23/08 06:14 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Thank you, Rintincop - Great links.

Woody - Don't be so hard on yourself. Do you know Thelonious Monk? Also known as just plain "Monk". But plain he is NOT! He is super. Here he is playing his 'Round Midnight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMmeNsmQaFw&feature=related

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com

#1011232 - 03/23/08 08:07 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

I actually met TM in the Village back in the mid 60's. He was always an Name. I never heard of Wynton Kelly. Makes me wonder......What have I been missing?

#1011233 - 03/24/08 02:50 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
rosa2007 Offline

Great links there rintincop. What a good exposure. This will surely help me to listen more to the jazz masters.

#1011234 - 03/24/08 09:11 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
knotty Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Rintincop,

By any chance, you wouldn't have an index of what tune is in what video, would you?

#1011235 - 03/24/08 11:09 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

westarm,
OT - How's the recording coming? Have you figured it all out yet? There is a posting over on Piano Forum about a Edirol R-09. The sound is fantastic (it also costs about $130 more than the Zoom H2). I would really like to hear the results of your H2. If you're not ready yet to post it here on the thread PM me with it.

#1011236 - 03/24/08 01:52 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
westarm Offline

Loc: Indiana, USA
ok guys, my first recording and posting...ever. it isn't much, but am sure that Rosa is right in saying that jumping in feet first is the way to go.

this is just lesson 1, the shell voicing. i can play it better of course, but nerves got the best of me.

on an H2....what is odd, is that when i listened to it on the recorder, the volume was fine....on boxnet, it was much, much quieter. any tips on using that site?

i've got plenty to learn.

ok...here it comes....duck!!

http://www.box.net/shared/mn61dwrwow

#1011237 - 03/24/08 02:10 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
deeluk Offline

Loc: Fort Collins, CO
Nice work westarm. It is tough sometimes once you push that record button. I had a lot of trouble with this when I started making recordings to post here. The more you record, I think, the less your nerves get in the way. Keep at it. I'll leave the constructive criticism to the better trained ears here. But it sounded good.

As far as the volume of the recording. Your recording is definitely very soft. It looked to me to be at around -30 dB which is very low. Dunno if the Zoom has any built-in gain functions, but I would look into that first. You want to set the gain on your Zoom as high as possible without clipping the input signal.

Then, if you need to, you could post-process the signal further with something like Audacity. Open up your recording with Audacity and run the "normalize" effect on it. Set it to something like -3 dB and that will boost the whole signal for you.

There's quite a bit of information on the forum here about using the Zoom. If you haven't seen it already, there is a Zoom mega-thread.

#1011238 - 03/24/08 02:37 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

westarm, thanks for the posting. I have to wait to get home this afternoon before I can listen to it. (I'm on a government computer here at work and it will not let me open second sourced files). How easy was the H2 to set up? IS it pretty straight forward to use? How does it compare to the sound you hear on your piano, similar?

#1011239 - 03/24/08 02:41 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
knotty Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Westarm,

Nice work. Record as often as you can. That thing's so easy to use, you'll forget it soon enough!

Can you try recording with a metronome? I think it'll sound instantly better.

#1011240 - 03/24/08 02:43 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Hey, Westarm --- great debut. I turned the volume up to max on my speakers. I heard you loud and clear.

RE: nerves and recording. Yes, everyone faces that. Try recording a lot - in other words, record while you practice.

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com

#1011241 - 03/24/08 03:41 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

deeluk, are you recording with a Zoom or are you using a digital piano?

#1011242 - 03/24/08 03:48 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
deeluk Offline

I'm using a digital. I do usually normalize all of my recordings as I described. Though I do it through Cubase instead of Audacity. I also have an analog recording setup using a firewire interface that I have used. The digital is much quicker and easier to use though.

#1011243 - 03/24/08 04:02 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

That's what everyone has been telling me. I sure if a get an H2 and play around with it, maybe mixing it through Audacity, I could make it work. My piano is an acoustic so I have to go the recording route. Thanks for all the info. With that and westarm already posting with an H2 (I can't wait to hear it) I should have it covered.

#1011244 - 03/24/08 04:10 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
westarm Offline

hey all, thanks for the comments.

yes, deeluk, the Zoom2 does have a gain function that can be regulated. i had it on low, and frankly didn't bother to check. what i will do is make some recordings at different levels to find what is best for my playing, piano and room. i will download audacity, thanks.

Woody, setup is easy and it is a pretty easy unit to use. when i bought the Zoom2 it was to post here and check my work....and i'm pretty sure i'll be happy with it. plenty of bells and whistles...you can use an external mic, record in different ways, etc. it isn't the top of the line, but will do what i need.

knotty...yes, i heard those times i hesitated. normally, i play it okay and have used my metronome. i will double my efforts at that...good point.

thanks for your support.....this was kinda tough for me.

#1011245 - 03/24/08 04:11 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
deeluk Offline

From what I've read, the H2 is very well regarded. So, I don't think you can go wrong with it. It probably comes with some free version of Cubase or something. Cubase LE maybe. You might consider using that as your audio editing software as it is a bit more capable than Audacity, which is freeware. The learning curve might be a little steeper. In either case, I know I've read that people have made acoustic piano recordings without having to do any postprocessing. I think it's just a matter of getting that gain dialed in right.

#1011246 - 03/24/08 04:25 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
westarm Offline

just looked over my documentation, and the Zoom 2 has three levels of gain...on top of that, you can set a recording level from dB0-dB137 while you play to tweak it.

found no audio editing software included, but has a built in tuner, metronome, and you can convert between .wav and .mp3 files. it does also have a built in normalize function. maybe i'll try that on the file i uploaded and see if it helps.

here is a question...when i upload an mp3 to boxnet, what is the standard bit rate? 128kbps is the one that pops up, but i can go down or up to 256?

#1011247 - 03/24/08 04:26 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Woody-Woodruff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
by westarm:
thanks for your support.....this was kinda tough for me
But it didn't hurt all that much did it? If you record all the time when practising you'll get used to it being on not think about it. Plus, you'll be able to evaluate your own playing. In my case, I'm not recording a Grotian or Bosey so I really don't need anything fancy just usuable. Thanks for your information (and yours also deeluk). I'm sure I'll have more questions once start recording.

#1011248 - 03/24/08 04:40 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
deeluk Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by westarm:
just looked over my documentation, and the Zoom 2 has three levels of gain...on top of that, you can set a recording level from dB0-dB137 while you play to tweak it.
[/b]
That sounds like the ticket. I'd mess with that and find the right level. That'll give you better results than processing in software.
 Quote:

found no audio editing software included, but has a built in tuner, metronome, and you can convert between .wav and .mp3 files. it does also have a built in normalize function. maybe i'll try that on the file i uploaded and see if it helps.
[/b]
Ah well, stick with Audacity then. I thought someone mentioned it coming with software, I guess not. Audacity is fine. But you probably won't even need it.

The built-in normalize will probably help with that first recording. I wouldn't necessarily do it all the time. If you can get the level right, you won't need to normalize.
 Quote:

here is a question...when i upload an mp3 to boxnet, what is the standard bit rate? 128kbps is the one that pops up, but i can go down or up to 256? [/b]
You got me there. I don't think box.net does any sort of conversion on the files you upload. It is just a file server. I suppose it has some sort of builtin support for streaming MP3s online. But for downloading and playing the file locally, I would expect it to give back what you fed it originally. I'll try and verify this with one of the files I have uploaded. I typically use some sort of VBR encoding.

#1011249 - 03/24/08 04:49 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
deeluk Offline

OK, just downloaded one of my old recordings. It came back down as a VBR file just like I uploaded. So, maybe the box.net streaming player does some sort of conversion. But if you save the file locally, you get whatever you uploaded.

Page 38 of 124 < 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 123 124 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Technichian or Virtual Technician
by Solon
Today at 03:00 PM
G. S. Bosworth & Son piano?
by LarryShone
Today at 01:43 PM
Lucas Debargue
by pianoloverus
Today at 12:06 PM
Playing two-beat triplet over eighth notes
by LoganWahl
Today at 12:00 PM
Music Zoom
by Isabelle1949
Today at 11:13 AM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,866 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,272 Topics
2,423,685 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission