Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 23 of 124 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 123 124 >
Topic Options
#1010770 - 02/04/08 10:06 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
tm3 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
a fascinating thread! thanks to everyone, especially jazzwee, for putting this together.

i'm late to the party, and after reading the entire thread i feel kind of overwhelmed. jazzwee, what is your prescription for attacking this, i.e. first learn AL with 1/7 shells, then start on soloing, or instead go to 1/7 and 1/3 then learn the rhythm, then soloing, etc.? it will seem more manageable taken in steps.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1010771 - 02/04/08 10:50 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
rosa2007 Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
Jazzwee and AL Gang,

Quote:

Sometimes I wonder if I can be understood guys. I'm explaining completely differently from how I learned this
We understand you perfectly. The best teachers are those who are able to sift through their learning and bring out the GEM. And that's what you are doing.

While I know the 1357 of chord tones and the downbeats and the step wise and half step movement, I am not aware of the different ways of doing the arps with the repeated notes. They do sound good w/o taking too much brain power.

Jazzwee, before I download the pdf version, I have the jazz improvisation for keybaord players (complete edition) by Dan Haerle -- do you recommend following this one?

Also have you seen this free jazzlesson on bebop improvisation.

http://www.jazzpianoonline.com/improvisationtheconcept.html

Rosa \:\)

#1010772 - 02/04/08 11:57 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Jazzwee - RE: Lesson 11.

After having fun with Chord Tones this morning, I went on to stepwise moves.

That B7b9 is drivng me crazy
I keep wanting to play C# rather than C. That C# has been ingrained into my fingers for a B7 and it is rebelling big time.

So - should I:
1. put the metronome to a very, very slow speed and make my fingers play that C natural
OR
2. Play the C#

Hey tm3 - welcome to the party! \:D

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com

#1010773 - 02/04/08 12:14 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
rosa2007 Offline

Here is my recording back to Lesson 3 Style B with RH swing and LH Charleston (Hopefully getting closer)

http://www.box.net/shared/a00c6pzr4w

Welcome TM3. No need to feel overwhelmed. I was a late comer too. Just reading the thread is overwhelming but once you follow from one lesson to another and hand in your midis, I found it so EZ to pick up. Before I knew it, I was onto solo. But I am still doing those early lessons alongside, like lesson 3 now.

#1010774 - 02/04/08 12:15 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
 Quote:
Originally posted by tm3:
a fascinating thread! thanks to everyone, especially jazzwee, for putting this together.

i'm late to the party, and after reading the entire thread i feel kind of overwhelmed. jazzwee, what is your prescription for attacking this, i.e. first learn AL with 1/7 shells, then start on soloing, or instead go to 1/7 and 1/3 then learn the rhythm, then soloing, etc.? it will seem more manageable taken in steps. [/b]
Take it slow TM3. You're not that far behind. Most everyone started only a month ago. Lesson 1 is the place to start.

But soloing can begin immediately after. The rhythm is harder to figure out if it is new so you can always just add it in slowly. Nothing wrong with soloing without rhythm first.

Good luck tm3.

#1010775 - 02/04/08 12:19 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rosa2007:
Jazzwee and AL Gang,

Quote:

Sometimes I wonder if I can be understood guys. I'm explaining completely differently from how I learned this
We understand you perfectly. The best teachers are those who are able to sift through their learning and bring out the GEM. And that's what you are doing.

While I know the 1357 of chord tones and the downbeats and the step wise and half step movement, I am not aware of the different ways of doing the arps with the repeated notes. They do sound good w/o taking too much brain power.

Jazzwee, before I download the pdf version, I have the jazz improvisation for keybaord players (complete edition) by Dan Haerle -- do you recommend following this one?

Also have you seen this free jazzlesson on bebop improvisation.

http://www.jazzpianoonline.com/improvisationtheconcept.html

Rosa \:\) [/b]
Forward Motion is a very specific explanation and is very unique. It can work with other books. It is not really beginner's level but I think everyone here can handle it.

For so little money it's excellent information.

#1010776 - 02/04/08 12:31 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Swingin' Barb:
Jazzwee - RE: Lesson 11.

After having fun with Chord Tones this morning, I went on to stepwise moves.

That B7b9 is drivng me crazy
I keep wanting to play C# rather than C. That C# has been ingrained into my fingers for a B7 and it is rebelling big time.

So - should I:
1. put the metronome to a very, very slow speed and make my fingers play that C natural
OR
2. Play the C#

Hey tm3 - welcome to the party! \:D [/b]
Hi Barb, AL aside why is there a C# in your B7b9? How do you actually voice a B7b9?

B7b9 is actually the same as a Cdim. So the notes are C Eb Gb A. So 7b9 chords = Dim chord a half step up.

A B7 doesn't have a C# either unless your specific memorized voicing uses it. That may be the issue is you're using memorized voicings. Something that would break as you use shells or 2+2 voicings discussed earlier.

It took awhile but now I'm able to see the intervals immediately and no longer rely on memorized voicings. And it came from using alternate voicings.

I haven't really discussed this yet but the scale for B7b9 is:

Half-Whole Diminished
B C D D# F F# G# A

For F#m7b5 it is:

Diminished Whole Tone
F# G# A B C D E

#1010777 - 02/04/08 12:35 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rosa2007:
Here is my recording back to Lesson 3 Style B with RH swing and LH Charleston (Hopefully getting closer)

http://www.box.net/shared/a00c6pzr4w

[/b]
You may need to slow it down with a metronome like Barb said earlier. You're playing 1, 2, 2.

Gotta count 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & when doing this ;\)

Good luck!

#1010778 - 02/04/08 12:46 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzwee:
AL aside why is there a C# in your B7b9? [/QB]
The problem stemmed from doing lots of dominant scale practice for several months last year. I would fly through that B7 scale with my C#.

OKAY - slow that metronome and put in that b9.

Thank you for that great explanation regarding those diminished scales. \:\)

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com

#1010779 - 02/04/08 11:40 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
rosa2007 Offline

Apparently, I was counting 1 2 3 4 for my RH swing but that doesn't work too well for the LH because for LH I need to count 1+2+...etc. Now I know where the problem is.

Jazzwee for lesson 3A&3B, you said that for solo we will use the 3B style more. When will I find occasion to use the 3A style then?

I am interested in playing the cocktail style and you said we could arpeggiate the 3 notes slowly on the LH. (1, 7, 10 or 1, 5, 10). I can do 1 5 10 as the fingering is easier. Is it better to arpeggiate 1 7 10 to get the 7 in the LH?

What will be the rhythm of that LH arpeggiating?

I've downloaded the pdf book. It is very interesting & good exposure to build up our skill. It also has audio sounds to go with it.

#1010780 - 02/05/08 12:33 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Rosa, LH Arpeggiation in a solo piano style would be all on the downbeats and would be played Rubato. Whether to use 1 7 10 or 1 5 10 is up to your reach and also which note you're playing. Apparently you have long fingers as I can only do limited tenths (white notes only). So this is not something I do often.

If Ritincop is reading this perhaps he can give a better answer.

3A is 1/7-1/3 fingering for ii-V which is used in a later lesson on Comping (Lesson 9?). I you're playing a solo on the RH or doing arpeggiations, then the LH, would just stick to 1/7's as in 3B, because 3A needs help of the RH.

#1010781 - 02/05/08 01:26 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
rosa2007 Offline

OK. I went back to the beginning pages and ploughed through the posts and could not find the answers to the following 2 questions:

1. To do the 1/7 and 1/3 shell on LH, is there a strict rule that 1/7 has to be the minor chord and the 1/3 shell has to be the V7 chord? Or we just feel our way through what is comfortable when we make the changes?

2. I remember reading somewhere Jazzwee talks about cocktail improvisation with an easy RH shape using 3 5 9 easily but I can't find what that handshape is.

Rosa

#1010782 - 02/05/08 01:47 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

1/7 to 1/3 is specifically a voice leading approach for ii-V chord progressions using Shell voicings. So is it a strict rule? No since there are alternatives but it is a popular motion using shells because it has less hand motion than a strict 1/7 at all times.

Solo piano using the 2+3 voicings (which are 2 on LH and 3 on RH), is where you'll find reference to 3 5 9 on the RH. These are comping chords. However they can be mixed in with solo piano.

In the Lesson on Rootless voicings, that is also used in Solo piano style by hitting a bass note, then the rootless voicing higher up (modern stride version).

Lately when I play solo piano, let's say of AL, I would mix the following styles within one tune:

1. Shell 1/7's, with the melody and soloing
2. Rootless Voicings with occasional bass (typically once every two measures on AL).
3. In between melody notes, I'd also do 2+3

The only style I personally don't do much anymore is walking bass in solo piano.

I don't do this much but as another approach over what's been mentioned, you could play the melody using 1 5 8 on the RH for each note. Ritincop is an expert on this sound and is used a lot Red Garland.

#1010783 - 02/05/08 02:00 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Let me expand on what I do when I play shell voicings for solo piano (i.e. what I'm referring to as #1 above.

I don't actually just play 1/7 on the LH and my RH has more than the melody or solo line.

I will make the LH play 1/5/7 or 1/3/7 (and you can mix 1/10 here too but due to strain, I don't use it a lot). So I have a fairly full sound on the LH. I might mix in arpeggiation or just straight chord playing of the shells.

On the RH, I want to make sure the 3rd is always voiced so it is often on the fingers 1 and 2 of my RH. If 3rd is already voiced and I have an extra finger I will typically play the 9th too, particularly with minor chords (so b3 and 9 on my 1st two fingers). I do a lot of this with the tune My Romance. Very jazzy effect because of the dissonant interval.

If I'm doing a line on the RH, you can sometimes squeeze in the extra chord tones during a quiet moment in the melody or solo for effect. So if I have not been playing the 3rd, I'd insert it in between. Often I will also withhold the inner voices on the LH and play only the root and the top note and then syncopate the middle voices in the middle. Hard to explain but it makes the tune sound like it's in 2/4 instead of 4/4 with the middle voices going in later in the measure.

This is not a lesson description so it is not well thought out but this is a little summary of the stuff I've learned to do.

#1010784 - 02/05/08 02:06 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
rosa2007 Offline

Thanks jazzwee for your explanation. Telling me your thought process is as good as those well-thought out lessons. \:\) My direction is very clear now. I have not gone to rootless voicings yet but I want to try out cocktail improvisation because that is something I want to master.

Rosa

#1010785 - 02/05/08 02:16 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Rosa, jazz improvisation in solo piano isn't really "cocktail" piano especially with all these sophisticated jazz voicings. Let's refer to it as jazz ballad playing. ;\) I play like this all the time and I love it because when you slow down the tempo, you can really work on sixteenth note runs. Something that doesn't get much play in medium swing.

As an exercise, we should all play solos in ballad tempo, with Rubato time to see if you get different ideas when you slow it down. Doing ballads well is actually quite challenging, which is why it is fun to do.

#1010786 - 02/05/08 03:42 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Can you guys believe that someone just blasted the rating on our thread and my own rating?

Did we bash anyone on this thread? Did we attack anyone? Or is it someone who just doesn't like jazz? Speak up whoever you are!

What a weasely thing to do. Here's a thread without a word of disagreement from anyone, it's purpose completely to help people and some childish person rates it down to make a point.

THERE'S NO POINT IF YOU DON'T SPEAK UP.

#1010787 - 02/05/08 06:42 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am in complete shock here, jazzwee. I have been a member of ABF for 2 years and until this thread came about, I had posted a total of 14 times. Since I joined up with this thread a few weeks ago, my post count has jumped to 61, I am that excited.

This thread is THE BEST THING going on in ABF. You are doing a remarkable service for all of us who have always wanted to learn jazz, but never knew how to begin.

I agree, it was some childish person. And I thought this was a forum for adults.

BTW, How is a thread rated? I assumed it was strictly by the amount of daily traffic.

Jazzwee, you are the greatest!

Quote:
some childish person rates it down to make a point. [/b]

#1010788 - 02/05/08 07:28 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
at the bottom of this page to the left you'll find a "Rate it!" drop-down menu.

#1010789 - 02/05/08 07:57 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Chris.

To All - check out this KJ video:

http://www.pcplanets.com/videoyoutube-Keith-b-Jarrett-b-.KiWchoEo2Vw.shtml

I grinned ear to ear as I watched it - my heart started beating faster. Jarrett at his best. Such fun to watch and listen to. \:D

#1010790 - 02/05/08 08:53 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
tm3 Offline

Quote:
Let me expand on what I do when I play shell voicings for solo piano (i.e. what I'm referring to as #1 above.

I don't actually just play 1/7 on the LH and my RH has more than the melody or solo line.

I will make the LH play 1/5/7 or 1/3/7 (and you can mix 1/10 here too but due to strain, I don't use it a lot). So I have a fairly full sound on the LH. I might mix in arpeggiation or just straight chord playing of the shells.

On the RH, I want to make sure the 3rd is always voiced so it is often on the fingers 1 and 2 of my RH. If 3rd is already voiced and I have an extra finger I will typically play the 9th too, particularly with minor chords (so b3 and 9 on my 1st two fingers). I do a lot of this with the tune My Romance. Very jazzy effect because of the dissonant interval.

If I'm doing a line on the RH, you can sometimes squeeze in the extra chord tones during a quiet moment in the melody or solo for effect. So if I have not been playing the 3rd, I'd insert it in between. Often I will also withhold the inner voices on the LH and play only the root and the top note and then syncopate the middle voices in the middle. Hard to explain but it makes the tune sound like it's in 2/4 instead of 4/4 with the middle voices going in later in the measure.

This is not a lesson description so it is not well thought out but this is a little summary of the stuff I've learned to do. [/b]
i'd love to listen to some examples of these different approaches. do you have any on line?

#1010791 - 02/05/08 10:06 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

jazzwee - it's time for a reality check here. I have just recorded my charleston LH along with the AL melody. I know that one of these days (months, years!!!), I will need to add my LH while I solo.

On that note, am I on time with my LH? If so, I will continue to practice at 140 bpm. If I'm not on that solid as a rock time, I'll practice slowly once again.

I can’t yet put in any swingy type RH notes when I do this LH charleston. The best I could do was try to detach the RH quarter notes.

I'm not quite sure how I need to progress with my LH. I am assuming that the goal here is to get the charleston LH on auto pilot.

So, if I am on a solid LH time, should I now:

1. try to add some more swingy notes in the RH (deviate a bit from the written melody) while keeping a charleston LH going?

Or

2. just keep on doing charleston with the simple written RH.

http://www.box.net/shared/252k8xu04w

#1010792 - 02/05/08 10:58 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
deeluk Offline

Loc: Fort Collins, CO
Jeez, I'm over here toiling away trying to get my chord tones to land on downbeats and people are bashing our thread and our tireless leader. As my 8 year old daughter would say "What-evs". Best not to even dignify this stuff. Jazzwee, you get from me too.

I've been working on the tips from lesson 11. It has been really tough. I made a few attempts at recording something last night, but they were too horrendous. Whenever I hit the record button, my playing always seems to rachet down a notch. I think I'm getting close. Maybe another night of practice.

Barb, your rhythm sounded pretty solid to me. Sounded to me like your &'s were falling really late in the beat which I think is what you want. Nice work.

#1010793 - 02/05/08 11:13 AM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, deeluk. I'll have to wait for our rhythm expert, tho, to get the final word as to whether I'm rock solid.

Re: recording. I used to hate it with a passion. I decided to cure my recording phobia by recording often. I recorded all the time until it just didn't bother me any more.

Lesson 11 - yes, quite challenging. I'm looking forward to you posting something.

#1010794 - 02/05/08 12:15 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Someone rated me and this thread a 1. So obviously someone was unhappy with this thread. As you know, a thread was already started criticizing us because we don't use sheet music. I have no idea if the 'little child' that rated us is in the same camp or not but if someone out there is unhappy with what were doing here, then SPEAK UP LIKE AN ADULT.

I can tell you guys that the Jazz pros/teachers that have been visiting this thread has only good things to say. So I truly doubt any jazzer would do this. Maybe it's another dummy who's telling us that Keith Jarrett needs to improvise with sheet music.

#1010795 - 02/05/08 12:25 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Swingin' Barb:
jazzwee - it's time for a reality check here. I have just recorded my charleston LH along with the AL melody.

http://www.box.net/shared/252k8xu04w [/b]
That is SO GOOD Barb! It's pretty rock solid to me. Amazing job.

For improvement now, I will now suggest to 'leave' that rock solid time and give it more of a groove. To do this, learn to relax the RH and drag it just ever so slightly behind the beat. Don't alter the LH. It's perfect. This is very advanced now. I wonder if you can even hear me do it on the combo melody. You'd have to listen carefully to detect it but after a while it is more of a relaxed feel.

#1010796 - 02/05/08 12:38 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deeluk:
Whenever I hit the record button, my playing always seems to rachet down a notch. [/b]
You and me both \:D So the solution is always to master it at a higher level. It seems that we need that reserve to counteract the self-consciousness. To perform at 100%, you need to know the subject matter at 150%.

Just so you know Deeluk, this isn't easy to do. I don't know what makes you think you can do this in a couple of days \:D

Let me make a suggestion to make it easier. Don't worry about it so much but record to see HOW MANY times you land on a chord tone. Meaning ignore the few times that it didn't work out. Can you at least land on a chord on beat 1? You were doing that already on your first try because you were landing on the 3rd.

So from there use only one technique at a time (like stepwise movements, which is the easiest).

The hardest to synch are chord arpeggios unless you arrive at some pattern in advance (not a bad idea at first) so you hear how it sounds like. Work out a few different patterns.

Be patient.

#1010797 - 02/05/08 12:51 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
Swingin' Barb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thank you, jazzwee. I'll breath easy now.

I do detect that relaxed feel when you play. That's what I am after here. I love that sound and have noticed it while listening to the pros.

So, I'll play Charleston in my LH and try to play the RH as if I just had a few stiff drinks ;\)

Quick question on Lesson 11. Chord tones with long notes was not a problem for me. Doing it as mostly eighth notes for lesson 11, I notice that I sometimes anticipate the next measure and I play a note on the & of 4 that is a chord tone for the next measure, but, it is not a chord tone for the current measure.

Example:

First measure is Am7. I may play the D on the & of 4 (next measure is a D7.)

So, is this allowed in the first assignment of lesson 11 having to do with using Chord tones only?

#1010798 - 02/05/08 01:12 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
jazzwee Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Barb, typically when using the Bebop scale you play going up and down. When you reverse direction over the extra tone in the Bebop scale, that's when the synching happens.

The other approach that I practiced a lot myself is to repeat a note or execute a pattern that will synch me up a note. Here's a couple of examples (I'm not at a piano so hopefully it will be correct):

Example 1:
(Stepwise movements unless otherwise indicated...)

Am7

C B C D E D C (skip) E

D7
D C D E F# G A (skip) F#

GMaj7
G...

Example 2:

(Repeated Note Example)
Am7

C B C D E D C C

D7
D C D E F# G A A

GMaj7
G...

You see the problem I encountered when I initially did this was that my fingers automatically moved and it really wasn't connected to the tones I was hearing so this was a mechanical way to synch.

But after a year or so of practicing this, what happened is that I began to select notes based on their tone, and my fingers were just following. I was so glad when it happened because for moment there I doubted if I was musical. And for whatever reason, these moves that I practiced are no longer necessary. I think the tone bridging (to get to a target tone) based on working this out logically eliminated at least the effect of fingers getting in the way.

I was not taught this BTW, this stuff I just developed on my own.

#1010799 - 02/05/08 01:14 PM Re: Jazz Study Group: Autumn Leaves, ATTYA, etc.
deeluk Offline

Loc: Fort Collins, CO
 Quote:
 Quote:
Originally posted by deeluk:
Whenever I hit the record button, my playing always seems to rachet down a notch. [/b]
Just so you know Deeluk, this isn't easy to do. I don't know what makes you think you can do this in a couple of days \:D
[/b]
Well, I didn't mean I'd master it in a few days. Just that I hope to get something that I could bring myself to post here.
 Quote:

The hardest to synch are chord arpeggios unless you arrive at some pattern in advance (not a bad idea at first) so you hear how it sounds like. Work out a few different patterns.
[/b]
Yup. I started doing this. I wondered if by doing so, I was "cheating". Plus, it gets very repetitive playing the same lick over and over. So, after I rapped myself across the knuckles, I started trying to vary my patterns. For instance, I'll think OK, start with an eighth note run and then do a half-eighth stab on the next chord. Then a chord arp. Another chord arp... etc. Then, the next time through, I'd start with quarter note chord tones, then a run, a long note, etc.

I seem to be stuck in a pattern. I can hear every other chord change. So, I have to pray the note I end on works for the "next" chord. For instance, I play something over Am and end on A. Luckily that works for the D7 coming next. Then I play over the Gmaj but I don't "hear" the Cmaj. The Fm7b5 is loud and clear, but the B7b9 isn't. The Em is easy to pick out. So, I've been trying to work on this as well. I'll play a few times through just arp'ing each chord.

Page 23 of 124 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 123 124 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
119 registered (accordeur, A Guy, Almaviva, 34 invisible), 1269 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153596 Topics
2251147 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
31 minutes 17 seconds ago
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
CA glue applications
by accordeur
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
Casio PX 850
by ryand90
Yesterday at 07:41 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission