2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,177 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 75 of 187 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 186 187
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
KHZ, thanks for checking out our thread. Sorry in the slow response as I don't check here everyday.

As a starting point, I would start with playing root and 7th on the LH. Get the feeling down of automatically aligning your left hand along the root-7th being careful to always be sensitive to the quality of the chord when playing the 7th. This means this could be a b7 or a maj7 interval depending on the chord.

On All the things That You Are (otherwise known as ATTTYA for short on this thread), the melody not is mostly on the 3rd of the chird so you will find yourself fully stating the harmony with the Root-7th + Melody note.

Now somewhere in this thread, there's a more sophisticated two handed style that fits ATTTYA perfectly.

See Lesson 6 on Solo Piano 2 + 3 voicings. This teaches you some basics of two handed voicings which can be applied to ATTTYA.

Specifically to ATTYA though, I play it in the style of
LH 1 9
RH 3 7 Melody (which is usually 3rd too)

Note that the two bolded notes on the LH and RH are only a half-step apart. And the RH is playing an octave usually starting with the 3rd and ending typically with a 3rd on top (because that is usually the melody note in this tune). You will notice that the hand alignment in this tune is fairly fixed for this voicing so you can do it by feel after awhile.

This is for solo piano. For combo style, I would read the Rootless voicing section.

Hopefully this will give you a look ahead to what you will be learning from your teacher.

Good luck and keep asking away. Hit me with a PM if I don't see this quickly enough.

(Thanks for heads up Barb!)

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hello fellow leaver's!
Long time since any of us posted, maybe the leaves stopped falling . . hey, it's winter now . . .!

So, I just thought to share with you my joy in ploughing through the Charlie Parker Omnibook. I've stayed away from playing transcriptions until now, these are fun, these are the root of all music that bops along. These lines are wicked! And tricky for the pianist . . but rewarding.
The Omnibook contains the Head as well as Parker's solo for each tune. There's loads of II-V's that will inspire you, as well as heaps of Blues licks. At Amazon $13.95

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey there!

So here's a little exercise I came up with. Well, not really, I got the idea from Metaphors for the musicians.
The idea is playing through a few tunes while strictly using chord tones. No other notes allowed !

This is indeed an interesting exercise. For starters, by the 2nd hour you do this, these changes are well into your head.
Then it really forces you to think what you play rather than let the fingers move in a scale.
This is a preliminary exercise to greater things.

So here's the challenge.
Play a solo on All the Things you are. Only chord tones.
Do what you want with LH hand:
- nothing
- comp
- octave with RH
Here I played with Aebersold. A metronome is fine is that's all you got.

experts: try it too so we can get a feel of how well this can be done using only chord tones.

Here are the changes I played:
F-7 | Bb-7 | Eb7 | AbM7 | DbM7 | G7 | CM7 | CM7
C-7 | F-7 | Bb7 | EbM7 | AbM7 | D7 | GM7 | GM7
A-7 | D7 | GM7 | GM7 | F#-7 | B7 | EM7 | C+7
F-7 | Bb7 | Eb7 | AbM7 | DbM7 | Db-7| Cm7| Bdim7
Bb-7| Eb7 | AbM7| G7 C7 |

And here's my entry:
http://www.box.net/shared/lcfv3ec3np

comments welcome.

Take care

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow, Knotty. You are sounding like a pro! So, you are playing only 1,3,5,7 right?

Utterly amazing. Goes to show you that this Bill Evans' sound you have is achieved through excellent phrasing and a great left hand comp.

It is quite a challenge since you did set the standard very high.

I'll load it into Band in a Box and work on it. It will take a while to work up. I'll try to post in January.

Enjoy the holidays.

A Sudnow Method Fanatic
"Color tones, can't live without them"

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Chris - Glad you're having fun with the Charlie Parker Omnibook. I have that book, but it still is too scary to tackle.

I'm starting to dig into my "Tons of Runs" book by Andy Laverne. I'm working on a 4 measure 2-5-1 phrase (transposing it to all keys.) My Band in a Box group and I are having fun with it.

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey Barb,

thanks! Aebersold does the comping, not me smile but if you want to comp with the LH, go for it. Right here, that wasn't the intent of the exercise. Maybe as a second step ...
It sure helps to play with a great rhythm section!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'll let you tackle that second step Knotty. You are most definitely ready to add that left hand. I'll be playing around with right hand only.

It sounds like a great exercise.

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Knotty, that's some fine sounding playing! It's swinging and so relaxed sounding. The phrasing is impeccable.

Glad to see every one is still around (once in awhile). I think we are at the 1 year anniversary of this thread...

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
thanks, jazzwee!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jazzwee - sorry to make you work once again, but, you have been on vacation long enough here. laugh

Knotty's challenge is such fun. I was playing the first 4 measures yesterday, and I added the next 4 measures today. (Looping forever with Band in a Box)

I wish I had Kotty's touch and phrasing. Please let me know how I can improve.

I'll be tackling this project a few measures each day and plan to post the whole song in a few weeks.

Thanks for listening. Here I am:

http://www.box.net/shared/lk5qtvxiy2

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Nice swing you got going there Barb'

That's the secret I think, doing it a few bars at a time.

Don't you find that after a while, you start creating licks?
One lick I like on the M7 is simply arpegiatting from 7 - 1 - 3 - 5 - 7.
On AbM7 is like playing a Fm7 with a 9th in it. Gives it a bit of a bop sound.

It's interesting when you find a lick to try and apply it to all chords in all keys, transforming it as needed...

nice job!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for your kind words, knotty.

And also thanks for that 7-1-3-5-7 tip. I do like that sound.

I heard a lick you played that I think I will "borrow" from you. In that first measure, you played b3, root, then up an octave to the root, then b7 and 5 --- Very nice indeed.

I agree - It is fun creating little licks.

You are a great motivator.

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Knotty, great improv, you really have the swing feel down pat.

Barb, you're sounding so good, I could hardly resist the temptation to play along!

Knotty, your discussion of the AbMaj7 arp reminded me of a cool one I've been messing around with:

Left hand plays G7 shell (G, F), while

Right hand arpeggiates Ab minor major 9th:

Ab B Eb G Bb B Eb G Bb….

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Barb, always willing to help, just don't make me record as I'm strapped for time... smile

This is an excellent tune for really working on changes BTW. My teacher spent a lot of time with me on this a couple of years ago. It is great for practicing solo piano voicings as well as learning to improvise on chord tones. What's particularly interesting about using chord tones on this tune is that you can anchor most of the chords on the third of the chord and you wouldn't stray away from the melody much (which mostly lands on 3rds too).

So a couple of tips for you:

1. Build your melodies with the 3rd being a dominant element. Complexity of the melody is not that important at the beginning. Knotty's melodies are beautifully simple in fact and I can hear the 3rds guiding the tones.

2. What makes Knotty's playing sound so nice is his mastery of swing. I would listen to how Knotty balances each pair of eight notes. Most of the time the notes are not of equal accent. It's not so obvious here because he's playing a lot of quarter notes and half notes but you will notice the requisite "dragging". Meaning the notes are slightly behind. This gives it a relaxed feeling.

Funny thing in jazz is that once you master the swing, one can sound really good even with simple note selection like chord tones. That's why we spend so much time on learning swing here since this is the primary "technical" issue in jazz. Miles Davis was very simple many times too. Always beautiful.

My Jazz Blog

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Hey JW..

Just noticed this thread....holy moly, this is longer than the Reharm Room over at KC.

You are an excellent host. Who would have thought you would have this many pages?!

Great job everyone. Keep practicing and stay with it!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jazzwee - Thank you for a tips. My brain does understand where I am having problems here. I wish my fingers would cooperate. wink

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Riddler:
Barb, you're sounding so good, I could hardly resist the temptation to play along!
Thank you, Riddler. No need to resist the temptation. Why don't you record and post a bit of Knotty's chord tone challenge for this tune? laugh

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You guys are being way too nice to me.

In response to JW's post. You really shouldn't listen to me all that much. I can think of many other pianists. Recently I've been into Barry Harris. There's someone who doesn't show off much, but man can he swing. Get that album called 'Barry Harris plays Tadd Dameron'. That's the kind of feel I really dig.

I never understood what swing meant. Playing behind the beat, OooOooO or whatever. For the record, I never got it... All I know is that sometimes I feel it. Rarely actually, but once in a while, the foot taps harder and the mind starts floating...

Best is to play along with non-pianists. Miles, Armstrong, Lester Young for example. To me, a good pianist only tried to emulate a great horn player with the RH, while playing a great rhythm section with the LH. Or some variation of this ...

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hey Dave F., nice of you to visit. Yup this thing has been a year of work now! Although I have been absent of late.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Knotty, the compliments are richly deserved! There's style in your phrasing there and I can hear it coming out. Put in some left hand stuff and go to town man. It's going to sound great. Sometimes the swing comes out as a result of the phrasing. I've tried in all these 60 pages to describe swing but in the end, you really have to arrive at feeling it and it reflects in the delivery of each note.

Barb, the thing about swing is it is asymmetric. When notes land exactly on the beat without something to create asymmetry (either accent or time allocation), then it doesn't sound swinging. Your version sounded like the notes are landing at the exact top of the beat. Very symmetrical. Thus no swing feel.

I wish we could together in one room. It really is easier to show in person than to describe. But go back to our early discussions (particularly between the two of us) of swing as I think you've forgotten some of it.

BTW - the swing style that Knotty demonstrates is typical of slow tempo tunes (like 120 bpm). As you speed it up, the dragging feel disappears and becomes almost accent based. And the eight notes even up.

I was just playing ATTTYA a moment ago in my usual tempo (fast) and then tried it slow and I can notice significant changes in swing style. I don't even think about it. It just happens. So when listening to swing, realize that the tempo changes the style. For learning beginning swing, I would start with slow tempo tunes (particularly versions of ATTTYA) so you can hear a more exaggerated version of the swing.

You may not recognize the details of swing at 150bpm and faster.

Sorry I don't have time to record right now but maybe I'll get time in January. I'm just able to put a few notes in here every once in awhile.

It would be nice to actually spend a lot of time on ATTTYA for a change. It's a great tune and never gets old. It also remains a challenge.

My Jazz Blog

Page 75 of 187 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 186 187

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission